Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT: Need info on o2 arena
Posted by: Strider ()
Date: November 16, 2007 06:06

Hey Hey. Long time lurker, First time poster. Caught the Stones 3 times last year; Wichita, El Paso, and the second Beacon show. I'm going to the Led Zeppelin show at the o2 next month and need some imput about going to a concert at the o2 arena. I'm from the US and last year I saw Clapton and David Gilmour (seperate shows) at Royal Albert Hall. I was surprised to find security very laid back, no body searchs, metal detectors. No security/bouncers at the front of the stage, only ushers around the entrances to the seating bowl. Another amazing thing I found at the RAH is that they let you leave the building and return during the show. The crowd was equally laid back. Now I know that both Clapton and Gilmour are mellower shows than the Stones and RAH is smaller than the o2, but other than not letting you take drinks to your seat, I found the whole experience wonderful compared to the police state found at many US venues in recent years. I know the Stones shows at the o2 had reserved seating on the floor, but the Zeppelin show will be standing tickets on the floor. How ugly do you think it will be on the floor? Do they stamp/punch your ticket or wristband you for the floor? Since just about everywhere is non smoking, how strict are they on enforcement? Do they throw you out or just tell you to put it out? This is the type of information I need. So I am wondering what the scene is like at the o2 for shows. I understand that it would probably be different for a Stones show than say a Barbara Streisand show, but if you have been to the o2 for a show, what is your take on the scene? Any imput you can provide would be appreciated. Thank you

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-11-16 06:08 by Strider.

Re: OT: Need info on o2 arena
Posted by: RiffKichards ()
Date: November 16, 2007 09:35

I have been to the O2 for two rolling stones shows last year (august 23 and 26). I was very closed to the stage (on the right side), same place for the two shows

The 23 I was very disapointed because the sound was really bad (in particular too much loud)... the worst sound I have ever heard (I am a little bit experienced: It was my 5th european rolling stones show for this year).

The 26 the sound was nice.. but not excellent (not as I could expect from an arena sound). I would say, it was an average quality : for the same tour, some others places I have been too(stadium) had a better sound.. some had a worst sound.

Others people (the 26th), from other blocks have told that the quality of the sound was poor... it depends where you were seated.

I went from France to these two shows.. but I think I will never go back at the O2 for a concert. From my experience, I don't recommand this area (it's a pity because the place and the arena are really beautiful.. cool place but the more important (the sound) is missing).

This is only my personal opinion.. ask other people (see the forum list devoted to the O2 arena shows)..

Posted by: drbryant ()
Date: November 16, 2007 10:24

The O2 is typical of arenas of similar size with hard, flat ceilings. The sound is poor because of the echo. But, depending on where you are sitting, it can be good enough, and the venue itself is quite nice.

Security at the O2 is very tight. The Stones shows were seated, but security was very strict re people staying in their seats, not floating over to the catwalk or front of stage, etc. I would suspect that they will do everything they can to keep the crowd under control. Also, remember that the average age of attendees is likely to create a situation where the crowd is much less rowdy than in 1973.

Posted by: Rockingfan ()
Date: November 16, 2007 17:13

We have been on all 3 shows. First one 7th row left, and second one 9th row to the very far right, third show near the catwalk 8th row to the right.
The second show we were sitting right under those golden hanging speakers and thought we will be deaf after the concert. It was so loud and even upfront really bad, while the first and third show was ok at the front.
Security was NOT tight where we where sitting. I even walked easily to the smalle stage and took photos there. Got really close and then walking back again.
I thought security was relaxed on the floor. They made you not standing on the chairs, but that's ok.
I loved the o2 and thought it's a good venue.

Posted by: Earls Court 76 ()
Date: November 16, 2007 18:24

I was at all 3 RS shows . What really surprised me first was the total absence of ticket touts . There are dozens of places inside to eat/drink but all are very busy . There is a bag search when you go into the arena itself but nothing too heavy . They will not let you take your own food/drinks in . There are other less crowded bars inside the arena and places to get burgers , chinese and hot sandwiches .You can take drinks into the arena ( not glass ). They do seem not to like you standing anywhere accept at your booked seat . We stood throughout the show but not on the seats .
Apart from Keith , they seem pretty hot on smokers but I don't know if they eject you or just ask you to put it out . My suggestion is don't .

Posted by: madmaxx ()
Date: November 16, 2007 21:12

There are no touts at the O2 because they own all the land outside and will not allow touts selling on their property.

Smoking - Once you go through the security search that is it if you need to leave you will not be allowed back in.

We did not smoke while inside and I did not see anyone smoking in the crowd so dont know what they do.

Cameras were no problem ,they are searching for weapons food drink.

You could take Drinks and food purchased in the venu to your seat, I presume the same goes for the floor even if standing only.

The behaviour of the standing section will depend on who has tickets ,I very much doubt security is going to let a riot start .

Posted by: Jota ()
Date: November 17, 2007 01:58

Are you sure that the Zeppelin show will be standing tickets on the floor?

Posted by: Jon Lasa ()
Date: November 17, 2007 07:54

Hi all.

Apart for all the things said above,
good links between the O2 and the city center (subway, clipper, taxi... I recommend the first one).

Not very good sound near the roof, in the upper tier section.
But seats are very comfortable, you feel like as if you were in the cinema, you,ve got a place were you can put your drink, leave your bag under the seat and stand up and dance as there is enough room.

Enjoy the show and keep all us informed, please.

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: November 17, 2007 12:31

>> you,ve got a place were you can put your drink, leave your bag under the seat <<

not on the floor, at least at the Stones shows - but floor seats are temporary,
so that's no big surprise; but anyway the Ahmet Ertegun Tribute Show has a standing floor.

and as someone else said already: i wouldn't try smoking there unless you're Keith
and/or unless it's a show where you don't care whether or not you'll be thrown out.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1491
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home