Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
BUDDY GUY SHOWS IN CHICAGO
Posted by: mighty stork ()
Date: November 3, 2007 20:25

Buddy Guy always plays a select number of shows at his Legends club in Chicago.These usually happen in January. My question is has anyone attended and has anyone famous play onstage with him. (I'm not counting John Mayer last summer... lol)

Re: BUDDY GUY SHOWS IN CHICAGO
Posted by: soundcheck ()
Date: November 4, 2007 01:57

...buddy guy played at the gibson amphiltheater a week ago thurs,, at the country western tribute for that hank williams jr. . . worst thing i have ever attended (not that he was bad, he was just a token guest) ... it was film'd for nov. 17th, will be shown on the country music cable station.. for you arrowsmith fans, that steven tyler guy did a 'song',, along with kid rock (ouch),,,
no, i didnt have to buy any tickets, like i said,, worst show ive ever been too. i felt bad for buddy guy . ...

Posted by: rocks off ()
Date: November 4, 2007 08:47

I was at the Buddy Guy show in January of 2006 (the night before the Stones played the United Center.) Obviously, everyone "hoped" the Stones would appear with Buddy...they didn't. But I thought Buddy's show was great. His opening act was Lil Ed and the Imperials, who are outstanding !!!

I was at Buddy's about a month ago...and Buddy was there, unannounced and played a few songs with Eddie Shaw (I think.)

You should go.

Posted by: Harm ()
Date: November 4, 2007 09:51

rocks off Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I was at the Buddy Guy show in January of 2006
> (the night before the Stones played the United
> Center.) Obviously, everyone "hoped" the Stones
> would appear with Buddy...they didn't. But I
> thought Buddy's show was great. His opening act
> was Lil Ed and the Imperials, who are outstanding
> !!!
>
> I was at Buddy's about a month ago...and Buddy was
> there, unannounced and played a few songs with
> Eddie Shaw (I think.)
>
> You should go.

Hi, I was also there that night for the same reasons partly. smiling smiley Indeed a great show and indeed a great opening act

Posted by: little queenie ()
Date: November 4, 2007 11:07

Harm Wrote:
> rocks off Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > I was at the Buddy Guy show in January of 2006
> > (the night before the Stones played the United
> > Center.) Obviously, everyone "hoped" the
> Stones
> > would appear with Buddy...they didn't. But I
> > thought Buddy's show was great. His opening
> act
> > was Lil Ed and the Imperials, who are
> outstanding
> > !!!
> >
> > I was at Buddy's about a month ago...and Buddy
> was
> > there, unannounced and played a few songs with
> > Eddie Shaw (I think.)
> >
> > You should go.
>
> Hi, I was also there that night for the same
> reasons partly. smiling smiley Indeed a great show and indeed
> a great opening act

me too - it was SRO

Date: November 4, 2007 19:43

Harm and LQ...do you remember where you were sitting / standing?
I took some pictures at the show (it was the Sunday night show)...maybe I captured one of you on film??

Posted by: inopeng ()
Date: November 4, 2007 20:10

Buddy is at his best when it's just Buddy...

Posted by: roryg ()
Date: November 4, 2007 20:18

We've caught one show during each stand for bout ten years. It's always a great show and Legends treats its customers well. Buddy always sticks around afterwards to sign memorabilia and talk with fans. One year, a drunk gal who had been asked to leave the club stumbled up to Buddy as he was getting into his SUV and slurred, "Buddy, I gotta tellya sumthin"" Buddy recognized her as the boor who had been tossed and cut her off, saying, "You ain't telling me a goddam thing" Those of us who had witnessed her behavior during his set cheered him as he drove away. How much you want to bet the drunk whined on Monday that Buddy was a mean man...
Great shows, tickets usually go on sale around Thanksgiving and the openers are top flight blues artists. As far as celebrities, other than blues royalty, the only other notables have been the Cubs' coaching staff at shows we've attended.

Date: November 5, 2007 13:34

rocks off Wrote:
> Harm and LQ...do you remember where you were
> sitting / standing?
> I took some pictures at the show (it was the
> Sunday night show)...maybe I captured one of you
> on film??

I hope that you didn't capture me on film...:-)
I was standing in the back if I remeber well

Date: November 5, 2007 22:20

Well, Harm, I wouldn't know even if I did. It was crowded that night...I was behind the table area...near the loos. Got some great pics of Buddy when he walked around the joint playing his guitar.

Date: November 6, 2007 11:05

i was standing at the back on the left (facing the stage). it appeared lots of people were eating, some playing cards - obviously had staked out their tables early!

Posted by: wineaux ()
Date: November 6, 2007 15:44

Having attended Buddy's January shows for the last 8 years or so, they are definitely a special treat to Buddy's fans. We were also there the night before the Stones played the United Center. And the night where the Cubs coaching staff was seated in the VIP section (which was the year they did a live recording of every night's show and sold them at the end of the evening - what a wonderful piece of memorabilia!) We've been fortunate enough to always get a table right up front, playing cards & backgammon to pass the time, but you do have to arrive very early. Some folks we've met are outside as early as 8 AM! Seeing Buddy in his own environment is truly amazing... he just lets loose and is so welcoming to his guests. Legends is scheduled to relocate sometime in the near future (they've been working on this for at least 5-6 years, but now Columbia College that they lease from is needing the space). Sure hope the new club has the same down & dirty blues club feel that the current one does. Tickets for this upcoming January go on sale November 24th.

Date: November 6, 2007 22:18

wineaux Wrote:
> Some folks we've met are
> outside as early as 8 AM!

crazy! i will only do that for the stones...

Date: November 7, 2007 04:04

We've gotten there as early as about 2:00... spent many cold hours waiting outside for a good seat. It's a great opportunity to meet other die-hard blues fans and enjoy a bottle of vino to keep us warm!

Date: November 7, 2007 19:23

Anyone up for an IORR outing at Buddy's shows in January? Those who want to get there at 2pm can do so...those who don't mind standing can do so.

Tickets go on sale in a couple of weeks...

Anyone interested?

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: November 7, 2007 19:38

I have never seen anyone who could work a small club like Buddy. I first saw him live opening for the Stones a while back and knew he was good, but it wasn't until I saw him in a smaller environment when I realized just how good he was (or is). I won't begin to explain it other than to say, if you ever have a chance to see him in a venue with capacity of less than 1,000 people, don't miss it.

Date: November 8, 2007 06:43

We're already planning on going to at least 2 shows. Waiting to see what the opening acts are before deciding which nights.

Date: November 8, 2007 08:36

Who is "we"? Let's make it an event.

Date: November 8, 2007 10:40

little queenie Wrote:
> wineaux Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Some folks we've met are
> > outside as early as 8 AM!
>
> crazy! i will only do that for the stones...

Maybe it was that day when some people (me included) hoped the stones would come.

Date: November 9, 2007 07:02

'We' is myself and 2 friends (1 from Florida and 1 from Vegas) coming in for one or two of his shows. I believe he starts on January 3 and plays until around the 28th, with Tuesday & Wednesdays off in each week.

Date: November 23, 2007 23:14

well, i guess tickets go on sale tomorrow - he's got a number of musicians he's playing with, all on different dates.

which do you suppose would be the best?
[www.ticketmaster.com]

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2007-11-23 23:16 by little queenie.

Date: November 24, 2007 07:46

I would vote for Lil Ed and the Imperials. I have seen Lil Ed a number of times and he is worth the $$ by himself.

Date: November 24, 2007 10:32

but lil ed isn't one of the choices!

Date: November 24, 2007 17:01

I saw Lil Ed listed for January 11 or 12.

Was I dreaming?

Date: November 24, 2007 17:20

upon further investigation, yes, you're right - the 11th. it wasn't listed in that link...

Date: November 24, 2007 20:50

Start of a new year would not be complete without seeing a couple of Buddy's shows at Legends!

Picked up tix this morning for January 5th... with Big James & the Chicago Playboys. Our first choice would have been Billy Branch (great harp player) on the 4th, but couldn't work it out with our schedules. The Nublu Band on the 26th is one of Buddy's daughter's band. We saw them last year... just OK. Buddy's brother, Phil also plays one of the nights. Absolutely no comparison to Buddy! Have seen Lil Ed there a few times.... very entertaining and his smile is so contagious! What a character!

If anyone happens to go on the weekends, there's also have an acoustic set from 6:00 until about 8:30 year-round. Harmonica Hinds and Devil in a Woodpile are two of our favorites. And there's no charge... great way to see the original Legends before they relocate.

Date: November 26, 2007 23:28

Anybody pick up any tickets for Buddy Guy?

Date: December 2, 2007 09:46

C'mon....SOMEBODY must be going to one of these shows ??!!

Date: December 2, 2007 09:53

i might buy some tickets right before a show. but we gotta buy tix for the same show if we're all gonna meet.

Date: December 2, 2007 10:01

I agree. What shows are good for you? January 4?

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1887
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home