Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Stones shops and memorabilia in California
Posted by: carlitosbaez ()
Date: November 2, 2007 14:37

Hola!

I am heading to California this next Monday and I wonder if you know in Los Angeles, San Francisco or any city in California where I can find Stones memorabilia, stores, small stores, you know.
By the way could you tell me, places in California where they used to stay, mainly San Francisco and Los Angeles? I mean hotels, studios, places they used to stay etc,
many thanks,
By the way where can I find a good shop for movie posters in Frisco or Los Angeles to get I am not there?

Carlitos
Tenerife

Re: Stones shops and memorabilia in California
Posted by: mcparty ()
Date: November 2, 2007 18:11

Please don't call it 'Frisco'. It's a dead give-away.

You can go to the Haight and find some good shops.

Date: November 2, 2007 20:16

Here in SoCal try Amoeba Records on Sunset Blvd. The place is HUGE. Constantly rotating stock, a huge used section, collectables and such. Since it's in Hollywood prices can be high, but they get industry people trading their stuff in all the time so you'll never know what you'll find. Plan 3-4 hours minimum there. There's also a wealth of shops in Hollywood that deal in just entertainment memorabilia. And don't forget the pawn shops too. I could spend two weeks up there crawling thru the shops.

Scotty

Posted by: vintage stone ()
Date: November 2, 2007 23:20

hi CARLITOSBAEZ,

try WWW:ROCKAWAYRECORDS.COM
this shop must be in LOS ANGELES.
i hope he´s still there!!!???
vintage stone from germany

Posted by: Shott ()
Date: November 2, 2007 23:35

There is an Amoeba records on Haight in SF that may have some good old concert posters and vinyl.

Posted by: tomk ()
Date: November 3, 2007 00:06

While in LA, stop by the old RCA recording studios (6363 Sunset Blvd).
It's now a film school, and I don't think there's a studio there anymore.
It's a pity no one has done an article on that studio
given all the muic and history that went on there from the Stones,
Elvis, Monkees, Airplane, etc...
Also Sunset Sound is just down the street.

Posted by: timbernardis ()
Date: November 3, 2007 05:02

you might also try amoeba records in Berkeley, and then you get the added bonus of walking down the circus that is Telegraph Avenue, often as good a remnant of the 60s as you will find anywhere in the US.

hate to say it, but last December, I checked a number of record stores and found almost no boots at all. Was very surprised, not like it used to be. But should be a very few.

Also try Rasputin Records in Berkeley.

Does Wolfgang's vault have a place open to the public like Bill Graham used to have a store in North Beach in The City?

plexiglass

Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: November 3, 2007 05:07

YOu will find better memorabilia in SF than LA regarding The Rolling Stones. You might want to visit the leading psychedlic poster shops in SF and get reproductions of Stones concerts for Bill Graham. Ask the SF Tourist bureau for names and addresses. Perhaps check the Tourism bureau out online and email them your interests.

Posted by: 5string ()
Date: November 3, 2007 07:06

mcparty Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Please don't call it 'Frisco'. It's a dead
> give-away.
>
> A dead give-away for what? Cheers!

Posted by: soundcheck ()
Date: November 3, 2007 07:42

... its easy and free to post on craigslist.org,, try requesting what you want on the 'wanted' and 'musical instrument' sections in LA and san francisco

cities. it would not be unusual to receive responses....
enjoy your time in california!

Posted by: carlitosbaez ()
Date: November 3, 2007 18:19

Many thanks to all of you amigos

Carlitos
Tenerife

If someone need something just let me know.

Posted by: trainarollin ()
Date: November 3, 2007 20:11

Do your homework before buying expensive stuff and anything that is claimed to be autographed. COA's are worthless no matter who it comes from, if you know what the signatures should look like that needs to be your deciding factor. A signed guitar with paperwork, COA's. DNA Paperwork, etc are meaningless. Again, do some homework,know what to look for,know what posters are common reproductions, etc.

There are more worthless reproductions on the market than authentic items.

When I was in Vegas, I saw a guy drop $10,000 on a Strat with Stevie Ray Vaughan's signature on it. My gut says it was bad since Guitars with an SRV signature seem to been in every upscale memoribilia shop and he's been dead for 17 yrs. The next day the shop had another SRV guitar on the wall. I guess if someone can drop $10,000 without a second thought, money is not an issue or authenticity. These are the same shops that have Bob Marley autographed items in what appears to be in fresh black sharpie. Sharpie fades over the years or leaves a nasty yellow haze.

Oh, every memoribilia shop I went to had several fake Stones autographed items,either frames LP covers for $7,500 or Guitars for $12,000.

Posted by: sarahunwin ()
Date: November 4, 2007 02:25

Too bad Village Music in Mill Valley just closed.....

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: November 4, 2007 02:28

Enjoy your time in California Carlitos.

"It's just some friends of mine and they're busting down the door"

Posted by: peter ()
Date: November 4, 2007 09:20

as usual, your question is too general...memorabilia ?....music ?..expensive collectables ?...how much time will you have in SF ?....email me personally for some suggestions...peter [email protected]

Posted by: Monkeylad ()
Date: November 4, 2007 11:14

If you go to Rockaway Records, plan on spending a lot of time there, too. It's at 2395 Glendale Boulevard, not terribly far from Amoeba Music. Head east on Sunset Boulevard, hop on the 101 Freeway South, exit to Silver Lake Boulevard, turn left as you get off the freeway. Follow Silver Lake Boulevard (you'll see a big reservoir on the left) and then turn right when you get to Glendale Boulevard.

Rockway has glass cases in the back in which band-specific memorabilia is displayed. There's a shelf of Stones stuff, but it's dwarfed by collectables related to that other British band whose name I can't quite remember.

There are also a lot of concert programs, photos, magazines, promo materials, T-shirts, etc., in the back of the store. Much of this stock is organized by band. Many of these items are in plastic sleeves but bring them to the back counter and ask them to open the sleeves so you can inspect them. (Nothing is more tragic than buying a Creem magazine from the 70s based on a reference to the Stones on the cover, and then getting home to discover the item clipped out from the page. Rockaway is careful about this sort of thing, but it doesn't hurt to check.)

Rockway used to occupy more space at its current location, but it's still a great destination for music fans. While shopping here and at Amoeba, keep an eye peeled for musicians shopping.

If you're a Ramones fan, there is a statue of Johnny Ramone at the Hollywood Forever cemetery. If you're hot for James Dean. head up to the Griffith Park Observatory for a cool bust of that actor. Drive by the Palladium, where the Stones performed in the 70s, and the Wiltern, where they played on the Licks tour.

Bill Wyman's photos were shown in L.A. earlier this year; that exhibit is probably gone now. Laurel Canyon is full of musical landmarks, including a home where the Stones hung out in 1972.

If I think of more, I'll post again.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1023
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home