Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
OT - RIP Washoe
Posted by: little queenie ()
Date: November 1, 2007 07:25

washoe, the 42 year-old chimpanzee who was the first to use sign language to communicate with humans, died on October 30.

I studied her data in graduate school and had the priviledge of working "for" her for over a year.

Among other things, she was the unquestioned matriarch of the group and had a shoe fettish.

[news.yahoo.com]

Re: OT - RIP Washoe
Posted by: Lukester ()
Date: November 1, 2007 16:46

I remember reading about Washoe back in the early 70's...."In The Shadow Of Man," by Jane Goodall.

That's cool that you got to work for her, little queenie.....

Posted by: stone-relics ()
Date: November 1, 2007 16:52

Little Queenie wrote:

>I studied her data in graduate school and had the priviledge of working "for" >her for over a year.

>Among other things, she was the unquestioned matriarch of the group and had a >shoe fettish.

Are you an anthropologist? I am an archaeologist...did some primate studies my self at Arizona State U back in the 70s.

JR

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: November 1, 2007 16:58

Little queenie...thanks. More folks like you are needed.

Lukester, that book is an interesting read.

And the Panthers are in deep #### versus Tennessee... this is getting out of hand...anyone coming off the injury list? I don't have the will anymore to visit charlotte.com. Wwatchout for Wolfpack Basketball

Date: November 1, 2007 17:01

....thanks Chris (you didn't miss much of a Panthers game last week)

...and speaking of primates, I once had a spider monkey as a pet but the little bastard kept stealing my stuff so I had to let him go....

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: November 1, 2007 17:05

LOL

Hell, hard to imagine a spider monkey at a flea market!!! (Especially the 50 dozen in the NC-SC-VA Area!!!!

Date: November 1, 2007 21:34

thanks chris...

stones-relics - i am a psychologist (experimental, not clinical). that area melds with some areas of biology and anthro.

lukester - you are joking about the spider monkey, i hope...but some people do keep monkeys as pets, then get fed up with their destruction and hope a zoo will take them but no zoos want them because they've been too socialized with humans.

even roger fouts, the professor who ended up with the signing chimpanzees, is against the idea of taking chimps from their mothers to raise them like humans. he won't be replacing washoe with another chimp.

Posted by: DoughboyUK ()
Date: November 1, 2007 22:51

mmm...
wouldnt surprise me that the bugger would nick some "stuff" and, more so, eat it...then, it wouldnt be so destructive - just chilled..lmao..

[www.glyphjockey.com]

dog

Posted by: rooster ()
Date: November 2, 2007 18:45

people learned so much from them....love animal threads...i have to start one because i have a reason for it

Date: November 2, 2007 18:49

little queenie Wrote:

> lukester - you are joking about the spider monkey,
> i hope...but some people do keep monkeys as pets,
> then get fed up with their destruction and hope a
> zoo will take them but no zoos want them because
> they've been too socialized with humans.

You are correct, queenie, I was joking.

Date: November 2, 2007 18:50

I wish this would be a huge thread with intresting stories and studies observations about chimps....very intresting indeed

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-11-02 18:51 by rooster.

Date: November 2, 2007 23:04

deleted video

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-11-03 15:33 by Lukester.

Posted by: WMiller ()
Date: November 2, 2007 23:27

Found this one on the internet. You do know what that is, don't you Luke?

Not as funny as Luke's talking chimps, but much more class!

Date: November 2, 2007 23:29

......I do now, thanks

Date: November 2, 2007 23:43

animal threads are more fun.....and we can learn from them

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-11-03 08:50 by rooster.

Date: November 3, 2007 08:46

but lukester, those chimps are trained in brutal ways. a friend of mine went undercover at a chimp trainer's compount in hollywood and documented regular beatings. there's a coalition of actors and others who are trying to get chimps out of show biz.

Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: November 3, 2007 14:33

So when you see film credits stating "no animals were harmed in the making of this film," that could be just a b.s. disclaimer?

I've always thought that people were there specifically to ensure that animals are not harmed. Perhaps that applies only to the actual production of the film and not the training that goes on beforehand.

Date: November 3, 2007 15:31

....ooops, sorry about that queenie darling. I have removed the offensive (yet hilarious) video clip

Date: November 3, 2007 19:57

Edith Grove Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> So when you see film credits stating "no animals
> were harmed in the making of this film," that
> could be just a b.s. disclaimer?
>
> I've always thought that people were there
> specifically to ensure that animals are not
> harmed. Perhaps that applies only to the actual
> production of the film and not the training that
> goes on beforehand.

the way the chimps are trained before the film is made doesn't count in that disclaimer.

the American Humane Association is supposed to have a rep on hand when filming which may or may not have any effect. i've heard there have been some problems. the movie "project x" with matthew broderick (from the 80s) was an example where there was abuse on the set despite a representative.

i met the project x chimps earlier this year. one threw poop at me as i administered treats and presents. they live in a sanctuary which was taken over by the courts due to neglect (and now given back to the original managers).

Posted by: FrankM ()
Date: November 3, 2007 20:20

Threw poop at you while you gave him treats? What an ingrate lol.

Posted by: angee ()
Date: November 3, 2007 21:18

little queenie, my friend and colleague, also a psychologist, works with a chimp who had been been used for a state fair, who also has some signing ability. My friend and a computer tech person are just now designing some interesting research to see if the chimp (Coby) will interact online...I could fill you in by email.

Date: November 4, 2007 21:52

rip but her adopted son is still among us Loullis

Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: November 4, 2007 22:04

If anyone in the States is interested,
Jane Goodall is on Animal Planet right now.

Date: November 4, 2007 22:07

she s a great woman!!

Posted by: FrankM ()
Date: November 4, 2007 22:10

When I was in elementary school they had a chimp perform for us. I think he was called Mr. Juggs or something like that. He was pretty famous at the time- this was back in the mid seventees.

"Lyin' awake in a cold, cold sweat. Am I overdrawn, am I going in debt?
It gets worse, the older that you get. No escape from the state of confusion I'm in.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2007-11-04 22:14 by FrankM.

Date: November 4, 2007 22:24

and the Tarzan chimp is still alive!!

Date: November 5, 2007 01:21

angee - very interesting, yes, please let me know.

rooster - i know loulis too - he's the kid of the family but he displays a lot and could climb to the top. there's an older male but he is very mellow. a different subspecies.

i wonder where mr. juggs is now? i've hear of him. i met a former performing chimp who was also thought to be the "missing link" in the 60s-70s. he used to walk upright but now his arthritis makes him drag himself along the ground. he once posed with mickey dolenz but has lived most of his life since in barren isolation.

Posted by: rocks off ()
Date: November 20, 2007 20:26

Hey LQ...

Have you ever heard of a place in Atlanta called Yerkes? I understand they do primate research?

The sister of one of my friends works there.

Date: November 20, 2007 21:51

yes - its one of several "regional primate centers" originally opened in the 60s because monkeys and chimps were thought to be good models for humans.

when AIDS appeared in the 80s, the centers overbred chimpanzees but it turns out that when injected with HIV, they never manifested any of the symptoms of AIDS, and therefore not good models. so in the 90s there was a bill in Congress to retire the "surplus" chimps. at the end of his term, Clinton signed the CHIMP act:
[www.saplonline.org]

regardless. there are still many chimps and monkeys at suffering at Yerkes as they undergo invasive, terminal experiments.

they also conduct non-invasive, behavioral research.

Posted by: Gleb ()
Date: November 20, 2007 22:00

aham...

"...if there wasn't rice krispies,
there wouldn't have been a Rolling
Stones." - Bill Wyman

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1969
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home