Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Andy Fairweather-Low Interview/Keith and Stones content
Posted by: 1cdog ()
Date: October 24, 2007 19:11

[icwales.icnetwork.co.uk]

Andy’s guitar heroes...
Oct 23 2007 by Alison Stokes, South Wales Echo

Cardiff ’60s superstar Andy Fairweather-Low has toured with rock’s greatest guitarists. In a career spanning almost four decades the 59-year-old former Amen Corner singer has played rhythm guitar with everyone from Eric Clapton to the late George Harrison. Now out on tour on his own, he tells Alison Stokes about his own guitar heroes...

ERIC CLAPTON

“I remember first seeing him in Cardiff in 1965 when he was playing with John Mayall’s Bluesbreakers.

“After that I would travel to London to see him playing at the Flamingo Club and it left a lasting impression.

“I worked with Eric Clapton, pictured below, for 13 years and I never tired of his playing.

“Every new year he holds a private bash in Woking, near his home, and I play with him.

“Of all the people who had an influence on me in my formative years as a guitar player, he was the one. He asked me to join his band for his 1992 Albert Hall gig and the following January we were in the studio recording Eric’s MTV Unplugged album.”

GEORGE HARRISON

“I remember getting a phone call when I lived in Beulah Road, Rhiwbina. It was Eric Clapton’s manager asking if I would be available to tour Japan with George Harrison. The year was 1991.

“I could never get it out of my head that he was a Beatle as the Beatles were a great influence on me as a teenager. They were the first band who really started writing their own songs. And I learned to play I Want To Hold Your Hand on guitar.

“If I had written just one of The Beatles songs I would be a happy man. The tragedy of George, pictured above, getting stabbed and then having cancer was that he was such a good man.”

ROGER WATERS

“In July I finished the Dark Side of the Moon tour with Roger Waters.

“I first met Roger, inset right, when we toured with Pink Floyd as Amen Corner. The I bumped into him again in 1983 and started working with him, when he was recording his first solo album The Pros and Cons of Hitchhiking.

“On the Dark Side of the Moon tour we were out on the road for 15 months and we travelled all over the world – India, China, South Africa and South America, playing the album every night.”

KEITH RICHARDS

“I was 16 and in my last year at Llanrumney Secondary Modern School, when one of my friends persuaded me to go to see the Rolling Stones at Sophia Gardens.

“They were on a bill with Bern Elliot and the Fenmen and Jet Harris. I remember they started off with Talking ‘Bout You and I knew there and then that my education was finished and I wanted to be in a band, I wanted to be like Keith Richards, pictured above.

“After that night I borrowed a friend’s guitar and learned a few simple licks like Chuck Berry used to play and started learning. I’m still practising even now. I got my first band together The Firebrands and started playing gigs at clubs like the Kennard Rooms on Albany Road, Cardiff, and the Valleys.”

JIMI HENDRIX

“When we first toured with Amen Corner we were on a bill with The Move, Pink Floyd, The Nice, The Outer Limits and Heir Apparent and Jimi Hendrix, pictured right.

“My first introduction was at a sound check. I couldn’t believe what I was hearing.

“After that day I used to go up to see bands play at a club called the Speakeasy in London. On a couple of occasions Hendrix came to the club and got up and played.

“I saw him again when he played at Sophia Gardens in 1969.

“Later that year I went to New York with (legendary producer, impresario and former Stones manager) Andrew Loog Oldham and I ended up backing Hendrix when he laid down a track called Stone Love Again. It was unbelievable, a little Welsh kid singing with Hendrix.”

Andy Fairweather-Low plays The Point, Cardiff Bay. tomorrow night. Tickets are £15 and available from the box office on 029 2049 9979. Doors open 7.30pm.

Re: Andy Fairweather-Low Interview/Keith and Stones content
Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: October 25, 2007 07:58

Sure has played with alot of famous people. I recall he was with Bill in Willie and the Poor Boys. I think he also played with Dave Edmunds.

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: March 24, 2015 10:47

A very nice performance by AFL and the Low Riders here : [www.vintage.tv]

Very happy I caught one of his gigs "by accident" at Bush Hall in July 2008.

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Posted by: Plink ()
Date: March 24, 2015 11:05

Thanks for posting. I remember him as a standout at the Los Angeles A.R.M.S. concert. I entered having never heard of him and left impressed.

Posted by: StonedInTokyo ()
Date: March 27, 2015 16:55

Video clip Tokyo gig

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2015-03-27 16:56 by StonedInTokyo.

Posted by: DoomandGloom ()
Date: March 27, 2015 22:54

He's no Ron Wood...smoking smiley

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: March 28, 2015 00:52

DoomandGloom
He's no Ron Wood...smoking smiley

LOL. Never knew he played with such greats, my introduction to him was his very sympathetic playing supporting Eric Clapton during his acoustic period. Loved what he/they did with Layla.

btw: DoomandGloom, in case you didn't know, your signoff link at imagilive links to a deleted picture.

peace

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: March 28, 2015 01:13

StonedInTokyo
Video clip Tokyo gig

Thanks for the link, he's definitely got his own style.

He's got some pretty groovy guitars too, these are some of those he played when I saw him in 2008 :

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-03-28 01:14 by gotdablouse.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2371
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home