Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4
The World Series Thread
Posted by: WMiller ()
Date: October 24, 2007 00:51

Before you traditionalists start jumping up and down, as you may recall, The Rolling Stones played at Fenway Park in Boston, where the Boston Red Sox play their home games, a little more than two years ago so this is very loosely on topic.

Also, for those itching to type, 'How can you call it a World Series when only American teams play?', I've gone through the trouble of typing it for you so you don't have to now and can move along (insert winking smiley face).

Now, down to business....

The Colorado Rockies have some really good to great, hitters in Holliday, Helton, and Tulowitski (and to a lesser degree Atkins & Hawpe). They also led the NL (maybe all of baseball) in ERA since the All-Star break. They've also won 21 of their last 22 games (give or take), which is a remarkable feat.

Unfortunately, for them, they're facing the Red Sox, who have home field advantage; Josh Beckett, Curt Schilling, and Disuke Matsusaka & Papelbon coming at them from the mound; Manny Ramirez, David "Big Papi" Ortiz and their mates Youklis, Lowell, et al; EXPERIENCE; and they've at least been challenged competitively over the past week +.

Yes, I'm a homer, but I just can't see this being close.

Red Sox in 4 with maybe 1 game being close.

Re: The World Series Thread
Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: October 24, 2007 01:15

I predict this thread will be shut down in 3.

Posted by: Lukester ()
Date: October 24, 2007 01:24

How can you call this a WORLD Series when.......oh wait, thanks WMiller.

I'm rooting for the Red Sox. Hey Elmo and 5string, remember we got to see Beckett destroy our Braves June 19?....and that Big Papi guy hit a lazy fly ball for an opposite field homer?

It will be interesting to see if the Rockies can keep that nearly impossible winning streak going, but I'm guessing it will end tomorrow night......just a hunch.

Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: October 24, 2007 01:31

Hey! A baseball hat and a football helmet on the same post!

Posted by: fiftyamp ()
Date: October 24, 2007 01:31

Too much down time for the Rockies makes for an easy series win for Boston. Red Sox in 5.

Date: October 24, 2007 01:41

.......well, how can the Red Sox lose with the hirsute Johnny Damon...oh wait.....or that rough and tumble Trot Nixon....oh wait....or that Pedro Mar....oh crap!!!!...we're screwed.....next you're gonna tell me Yastrzemski and Wakefield will be nursing a sore shoulder and not on the roster.....

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2007-10-24 04:28 by Lukester.

Posted by: bassplayer617 ()
Date: October 24, 2007 01:48

As a traditionalist, I gotta root for the Red Sox. No curses exist for them anymore. Besides, it's good that a national audience can see a historical landmark like Fenway being displayed.

Posted by: Lil' Brian ()
Date: October 24, 2007 02:23

They tried selling home tickets in Denver on Rockies.com Monday and got 8.5 million hits in the first 20 minutes. The system crashed and they were going to try again today. I haven't heard but I'm pretty sure Coors Field is going to be packed Saturday night. go Rockies!

Posted by: Sam Spade ()
Date: October 24, 2007 02:52

Red Sox in 6

Posted by: Doctor Dear! ()
Date: October 24, 2007 03:28

Screw the Sux!!

Rockies in 7

Posted by: J.J.Flash ()
Date: October 24, 2007 03:35

Go Sox! White or Red for me!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: October 24, 2007 03:59

......anybody but the Soooooooooox......

Posted by: livewithme ()
Date: October 24, 2007 06:17

I think the Sox could be in for a surprise. The Rockies can hit and play defense. Just wait until Boston gets to Coors. Manny will be lost in the outfield and who is going to be the DH? Bench Ortiz or Youkilis? Or stick one in the outfield and make the defense worse. The only thing is that the games are going to be played in winter weather. It is perfect bball weather in the Bay Area. Too bad the Giants and As stuck this year.

Posted by: FrankM ()
Date: October 24, 2007 06:34

This is coming from a Yankee fan who hates the Sox but I find it hard to envision a scenario where the Rockies win. These National League teams (these days anyway) are just inferior to the best A.L. teams.

I can see how the Rockies may do well at home but that is only if they win one of the first two games in Fenway and have a little momentum. Then they have a chance but I can see the Sox absolutely clobbering them in Fenway.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-10-25 22:02 by FrankM.

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: October 24, 2007 09:04

Most of the sportscasts in Vancouver are cheering for the Rockies since pitcher Jeff Francis is from here. Can't believe Cleveland choked! I'm sure the broadcasters are relieved the Sox are in the finals. They'd see really low ratings if it was Cleveland vs. Colorado. When the playoffs began, they were probably hoping for a Yankees vs. Cubs World Series.
The last true "World" Series was when Toronto (who I don't care for) won back to back in the early 90's.
As far as my favorite Cubs go, there's always next year...

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: October 24, 2007 15:19

Rockies in 4! I'll never bring myself to root for that scrappy band of friggin punks in Boston.

Posted by: leteyer ()
Date: October 24, 2007 16:01

VoodooLounge13 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Rockies in 4! I'll never bring myself to root for
> that scrappy band of friggin punks in Boston.

Amen!!!

Go Rox

Posted by: leteyer ()
Date: October 24, 2007 16:01

VoodooLounge13 Wrote:
> Rockies in 4! I'll never bring myself to root for
> that scrappy band of friggin punks in Boston.

Amen!!!

Go Rox

Posted by: CindyC ()
Date: October 24, 2007 16:18

Red Sox better win, or my dad's health might be at risk.

Wasn't looking too good, but I was feeling real well.

Posted by: keithfan64 ()
Date: October 24, 2007 16:39

What the hell is Manny Ramerez doing wearing bell bottoms on a baseball field ?
?????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Posted by: Lil' Brian ()
Date: October 24, 2007 16:46

FrankM Wrote:
I find it hard to envision a scenario where the Rockies win. These National League teams (these days anyway) are just inferior to the best A.L. teams.

You're probably right about that Frank. I'd love to see them slow down Beckett tonight. My brain says Boston too but my heart definitely screams Colorado. They've really been on a roll lately. go Rockies!

Posted by: mickschix ()
Date: October 25, 2007 02:27

GO RED SOX, my home state team! I will make no predictions because I'm very superstitious, to the point where I can't even wear my Sox t-shirt when the games are on...bad luck. I wore my Ramirez shirt once when the Sox played those DAMN( now on the golf course) Yankees and we got clobbered! The Sox deserve to win though, they're a better team. Call them any names you want, they are a team of diversified personalities that never give up and play like they mean it! They do not go gently, hopefully they won't have to go anywhere but to the top!

Date: October 25, 2007 02:37

Hey Debra......I was hoping to hear from you in this thread. I've always liked the scrappy Sox. Manny Ramirez is awesome.

....and I like the Rockies too. I'm hoping for a 7 game nail-biter that ends with a Big Papi walk off homer.......it could happen.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: October 25, 2007 04:00

Yeah, the Sox impressed me - almost as much as my company (Lukester, 5 string)that night. I look for the Sox in 5, in spite of the Rockies recent hot streak.

"No Anchovies, Please"

Posted by: HelterSkelter ()
Date: October 25, 2007 06:28

Boston = LOSERS

Posted by: J.J.Flash ()
Date: October 25, 2007 06:32

HelterSkelter Wrote:
> Boston = LOSERS

But they won it all in '04? Have you?

Posted by: soundcheck ()
Date: October 25, 2007 07:19

..... well, the way it has begun (game 1), fox will have to begin giving away a ton of random money after each inning to acquire any viewership.. unfortunately, this has all the markings of one of the worst, boringest world series series ever,, colorado had a big time run, but no one rolls sevens forever...
my bet is on that boston first baseman, youkillis, that he is jack'd up on drugs way more than the others.. he's like a cheap thourghbreed on first- time lasix.

Posted by: Goldsmith ()
Date: October 25, 2007 17:00

After watching the Red Sox completely dismantle my Cleveland Indians in the last three games of the ALCS I don't see how a relatively weak hitting Colorado team can make this WS competitive and given last night's score of 13-1, I see the Rockies winning 1 game...maybe.

Date: October 25, 2007 17:44

soundcheck Wrote:
> my bet is on that boston first baseman,
> youkillis, that he is jack'd up on drugs way more
> than the others.. he's like a cheap thourghbreed
> on first- time lasix.

...he was even whinnying like a horse when he rounded 3rd that last time

Posted by: WMiller ()
Date: October 25, 2007 17:51

soundcheck Wrote:

> but no one rolls sevens forever...

The Rockies are all sixes & sevens & nines (gotta occasionally make this Stonesy)

> my bet is on that boston first baseman,
> youkillis, that he is jack'd up on drugs way more
> than the others.. he's like a cheap thourghbreed
> on first- time lasix.

That's just freakin' HILARIOUS!

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1215
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home