Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
MICK'S SOLO SALES PLUMMET
Posted by: Pecman ()
Date: October 17, 2007 18:16

Mick Jagger's solo album falls on the U.S Billboard Top 200 Album Chart from #77 to #126 with 6,052 units sold down from 11,000+.

I bought mine and lent (actually paid!) my support.

Not for nothing, but that is pretty crummy considering the promo he did.

PECMAN

Re: MICK'S SOLO SALES PLUMMET
Posted by: HEILOOBAAS ()
Date: October 17, 2007 19:08

I'm sure Mickette got a rousing advance for the album. He doesn't care if it charts - at least he has a best of... what does Keith have?

Posted by: CindyC ()
Date: October 17, 2007 19:35

HEILOOBAAS Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
at least he has a best of... what does Keith have?

Ummmm - 2 quality solo albums that I still listen to.

Posted by: georgelicks ()
Date: October 17, 2007 19:51

18,069 copies sold in two weeks.

Posted by: jamesjagger ()
Date: October 17, 2007 19:53

>>He doesn't care if it charts - at least he has a best of...<<

He cares a lot and it is extraordinay how bad the sales are.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: October 17, 2007 20:05

Could be the poor video for the poor song "Charmed Life" (sorry, sweetcharmedlife). Almost as bad as "Let's Work".

"No Anchovies, Please"

Posted by: alimente ()
Date: October 17, 2007 20:19

I would not blame it on Charmed Life, at least not entirely...could be a sign of the times that a) CD sales in general are low as never before and b) theres not much interest in Stones-related product anymore....
...however, although this is Mick solo, I dont think its a good sign for the Stones to get a new decent record deal since the Virgin contract is finished by now.

Posted by: tomcat2006 ()
Date: October 17, 2007 20:21

CD sales everywhere are collapsing. If I was a recording artist, I'd sell my album as a download.

Re: Mick's sales
Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: October 17, 2007 20:24

the Stones don't need a new recording contract.
Artist Nation can do it all: [www.iorr.org]

Posted by: Beelyboy ()
Date: October 17, 2007 22:10

somehow i think
THE ROLLING STONES: Exiles Alive!! 72/73

would have done very good numbers; comparative to this, and i take no pleasure in mick's 5th commercial solo 'sales disappointment' in a row, (tho hard to call anything as artistically perfect and great as evening gown a failure, it's so pristine and perfect and such an amazing lovely gift of a performance)...

i wish evening gown and turner and don't tear me up were the ones promoted...
they went with the superstar collaborations and the unreleased stuff because of the 'lennon' name and the previous unavailability, but it was snake oil; they ignored the little bits of quality and greatness and gave you cheese.

but i think they were beating a dead horse from the very beginning with this concept, and tracklist. Those are still big numbers for a re-issue label who just licensed it and didn't have to pay production costs...tho i guess they spent a little on promotion...rhino, being reissuers, can make a profit on just a few thousand albums sold generally speaking...

again; i take no pleasure in this; and the all caps 'plummet' thing is a little almost joyous and that's unfortunate...i don't think many of us here thought this would be a very popular project;

that snark remark about keith was out of line i thought, but indeed, as the massachusetts woman did point out, keith has two great solo albums that will eternally be listenable and enjoyable and earthy and exciting...and is probably sleeping very well...besides, behind the scenes, i don't think keith stayed up late at night hoping to see mick's 'greatest hits' do a belly dive. i don't think keith has to prove jackshit to anyone about anything. he's keith.
he proved it to himself and everybody else twenty years ago...mick should't take it so hard. he'll be fine once charlie gets his singer back in line.

Posted by: HEILOOBAAS ()
Date: October 17, 2007 22:13

MIcketee could have released it as a download from his site, like Radiohead did. Is Mick REALLY moving on, using 1880s techniques to distribute his music? All somebody has to do is upload it on their Myspace or Bear411 account and distribute it themselves? Isn't it just plain GREED on Mick's part? Maybe that's why the Stones' record sales have been such shite. I'm a rabid Stones fan but the last album of theirs I purchased was Voodoo Lounge, wh. went belly up after a few listens.

Madonna Louise Veronica Ciccone Penn Richie just signed a big record deal w/still life or charmed life or lifeless life. That's the future of entertainment. I do believe Mick has missed the boat on the future of music. Whilst I don't begrudge anybody their living, it's time Mick gave music a rest and got behind the camera or mike and did summink else.

Posted by: Doctor Dear! ()
Date: October 17, 2007 22:18

slow sales??
what a shock!!

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: October 17, 2007 22:23

In Canada, I honestly don't recall seeing any advertising for the CD. I knew more about it from this website than I did from any news source.

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: October 17, 2007 22:46

These are not bad numbers for a Rhino Records compilation. I doubt they regret having the title in their catalog. Rhino usually doesn't get near the Top 200 let alone debuting at No. 77.

Posted by: melillo ()
Date: October 17, 2007 23:24

stones albums only sell fairly well, what did you expect from a solo album, mick knows he butters his bread with the stones, this solo stuff is a hobby at best

Posted by: Bashlets ()
Date: October 17, 2007 23:32

Everybody on this board has to understand something, and come out of denial soon. The fact is MICK IS OLD. Not really a bad thing, but the fact is that a 64 year old man is not hip with youth. He is viewed by todays youth( or majority of cd buying public) the same as we viewed Frank Sinatra in our younger years. The fact that he is even charting at age 64 is impressive when you think about it.

Date: October 17, 2007 23:32

Greatest frontman in the world from the Greast Band...18,000 copies?...I have a problem with that even in this day and age of declining sales...

Look, Springsteen popped 300+ thousand the first week...

Mick didn't even do 3% of Springsteen.

The point is Wandering Spirit is Mick's Exile and nobody cares about the rest...unfortunatley...even with the John Lennon, Bono, Lenny Kravitz and unreleased angles...all added up to nothing.

PECMAN

Posted by: svendborg ()
Date: October 17, 2007 23:40

CindyC Wrote:
> HEILOOBAAS Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> at least he has a best of... what does Keith
> have?
>
>
> Ummmm - 2 quality solo albums that I still listen
> to.

I totally agree :-)

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: October 17, 2007 23:56

melillo Wrote:
> stones albums only sell fairly well, what did you
> expect from a solo album, mick knows he butters
> his bread with the stones, this solo stuff is a
> hobby at best

Agree!

These poor sales didn't come as a surprise to me at all. Most people have been scared off by Jagger solo works, because of his 80s disaster. And the few of us who still check out everything from the RS camp...well, we were personally offended by the Charmed Life video - at least I were.
I wasn't going to buy the album because of that track - but I went ahead with it anyway - since I didn't have the longer version of You Gotta Walk Don't Look Back.

Date: October 18, 2007 00:10

Come on, ABB barely sold over 500k copies with:
- a massive tour that sold 2 million tickets in U.S
- a Super Bowl performace
- American Music Awards performace
- interviews, radio & TV promo, singles, videos

How much could sell a Mick Jagger solo compilation with 95% of unknown stuff for the general public?
Who knows, outside of this board, that Jagger released an album? About 100,000 people worldwide at best.

Also the people is a bit tired of the Stones, they sell tickets yes, but it's like a cultural event, only the fanbase buy the albums and the young people is so far away from them except from compilations as Forty Licks or Jump Back.

Date: October 18, 2007 00:12

HEILOOBAAS Wrote:
> He doesn't care if it charts - at least he has a best of... what does Keith have?

Keith has 2 best of albums.

Date: October 18, 2007 00:15

Pecman Wrote:
> Look, Springsteen popped 300+ thousand the first
> week...

Bruce sales are awesome, 335.000 copies the first week, 133.000 copies the second one (down to #2 on the chart) but due to slow week sales it will be #1 again next week with about 100-110k sold.
The current ABB mark is 540k, Bruce passed that in less than 3 weeks.

Date: October 18, 2007 00:25

no one cares about cds anymore with very very few exceptions and most people think mick jaggers solo stuff is crap.. sad truth...just like too many people think the stones are too old

it must be crazy to be mick jagger. .he can play with the stones anywhere in the world and people -20,000 of them at least-will fork over between 100-1000$.. the average ticket price to the stones must now be over 100.. certainly at atlantic city show i was at it must have been closer to 200..

so every night he can play for the same number of people that buy his greatest hits cd for 15 bucks...

i do not believe there is anyone else like mick jagger in that sense..

i thought godess in the doorway had some real strong moments.. i mean to me god give me everything or what have you sounded like a surefirehit... but no one seemed to care

i wonder what mick thinks about this...

Date: October 18, 2007 00:41

I know what Mick thinks:

Satisfaction
+ Honky Tonk Women
+ Jumping Jack Flash
+ Start Me Up
+ Tumbling Dice
+ Sympathy For The Devil
+ Brown Suger

= Millions of Tickets @ $400 a pop!!!!

PECMAN

Date: October 18, 2007 00:52

Pecman Wrote:
> Greatest frontman in the world from the Greast
> Band...18,000 copies?...I have a problem with that
> even in this day and age of declining sales...
>
> Look, Springsteen popped 300+ thousand the first
> week...
>
> Mick didn't even do 3% of Springsteen.

Well I think the sales are lousy as well. But I as I havn't bought the album, there must be thousands out there thinking the same...why spend money on a CD with a few "new" unrealeased tracks. If they're unreleased until now, there's probably a very good reason for this.

On the other hand you can't compere a greatest hits compilation to a brand new album by Sprigsteen.
If Macca did a greatest hits CD, it would be worth comparing the sales. Or you could compare sales of 40 Licks with the Beatles 1...oh on the other hand, you'd better not ;-)

Date: October 18, 2007 00:55

svendborg Wrote:
> If Macca did a greatest hits CD, it would be worth
> comparing the sales.

Why ?

Date: October 18, 2007 00:58

Erik_Snow Wrote:
> svendborg Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > If Macca did a greatest hits CD, it would be
> worth
> > comparing the sales.
>
> Why ?

Because it's unfair to compare the sales of brand new material from one superstar to a collection of old songs from another superstar. I suppose the people interested in Micks records already have them...I've got his solo albums and I've Maccas and wouldn't buy any greatest hits by any of them for that reason.

Date: October 18, 2007 01:01

svendborg Wrote:
> Because it's unfair to compare the sales of brand
> new material from one superstar to a collection of
> old songs from another superstar. I suppose the
> people interested in Micks records already have
> them...I've got his solo albums and I've Maccas
> and wouldn't buy any greatest hits by any of them
> for that reason.

OK - well that's true.

Date: October 18, 2007 01:15

Erik_Snow Wrote:

>
> OK - well that's true.

Just for the record...Bruce went straight into no. 1 in the Danish charts and so did the Stones with ABB.
Mick isn't even in the top 40. So I think there's quite a difference between an album of new material and these old recordings, that didn't sell that well in the first place.
Anyway, just go back to the studio with the guys and make a new album and I'm sure it'll sell :-)

Posted by: mickschix ()
Date: October 18, 2007 01:25

I think it's shame more people don't at least give Mick's solo material a good, fair listen. OLD?? By who's standards? By today's standards, Mick is in his 40's! And HE Thinks he's young, so who are we to call him OLD? I think I'm very young, and numerically I'm not. If people just want to diss him before giving him a fair shot there's nothing that can be done about it. I don't think he did a tremendous amount of promo and unless you're a Stones fan, chances are you had no clue about this cd. He did a series of interviews, that was about it. I didn't see any full page ads in trade magazines.
As far as Keith is concerned, I think it does urk him a bit that Mick continues to make his music; he probably envies his energy. I still think at some point he will give his opinion, and odds are, it won't get an A+.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1968
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home