Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Mick Taylor Day Here in DC
Posted by: OpenG ()
Date: October 16, 2007 14:01

Here is Taylor's great song sw5 off his first record.

[download.yousendit.com]

Off to the concert tonight

play that guitar boy.

Re: Mick Taylor Day Here in DC
Posted by: terraplane ()
Date: October 16, 2007 14:43

Enjoy it Open G. I wish I could be there. Mick's vibrato & the great music of Jimi - what a combination.

Posted by: nanker phelge ()
Date: October 16, 2007 14:50

I was wondering where yapyap had gone!

Date: October 16, 2007 17:23

yah mick taylor day! can't wait!

i'm going to definetly find time today to listen to hawaii 73 and some howling wolf (with humbert sumlin!)

ok hawaii is crankin'

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-10-16 17:26 by stoned in washington dc.

Date: October 16, 2007 17:29

here's something i sent two friends- i lifted it from rocks off i think- going to show with me see the youtube link with hendrix jamming with mick taylor!

Recently I asked Mick Taylor about his jams with Jimi Hendrix, here is
the answer he gave me:

"I remember one time in 1966 ... 67 ... I think 67 ... I played in San
Francisco at the Fillmore West, and I was playing with John Mayall;
Albert King was playing and Jimi Hendrix was at the top of the bill.
At the end ... some guys from the Grateful Dead got together with us
and jammed all night.

One time, he came to this little club in London called the Speakeasy.
It was a little club that musicians came to ... Hendrix came there
anyway... it was that kind of club that musicians used to go to in the
evening. He wanted to play, but there was no spare guitar... I'm right
handed ...and he's left-handed...and all he did was just turn it
upside-down ... It was amazing to hear someone play so well...and with
the guitar backwards! Jimi Hendrix could play both ways...which is
quite phenomenal.

I've never met anyone else that could do that. It's like playing the
piano backwards.... Because all the strings and notes are reversed. He
seemed to be able to play equally well both ways ... which is quite
phenomenal.

You can't learn to play one way...and I can't think of anyone that
I've ever met who's left handed that can just turn a right handed
guitar upside down... To turn it upside-down and play backwards. All
the chords are reversed...and instead of bending a string.... You'd
have to pull it.

There were a few other times that I remember ...backstage at Madison
Square Garden in 69 with the Stones. He came to the show, I think he
was living in NY...during his band The Gypsies period...he came
backstage ... and we had a little jam in the dressing room. I've
actually seen some photos of that published in a magazine a few years
back. I very rarely ever saw Jimi Hendrix without a guitar. He was
always playing a guitar."

SERGE NOTE: MICK TAYLOR IS SPEAKING BOUT THE NIGHT THAT WAS JIMI
HENDRIX'S LAST BIRTHDAY ALIVE_ WHICH HE SPENT AT A STONES SHOW! and
the video of JIMI PARTYING WITH THE STONES BACKSTAGE and jamming a bit
with mick taylor is here... of course no audio but when a very stoned
jimi is yapping with a very stoned keith we get the audio..:

Posted by: Baboon Bro ()
Date: October 16, 2007 21:25

[www.stureplan.se]
(Here's another chap who jammed - a lot - with Hendrix.. Kenny Håkansson
aka Beno Zeno from Dag Vag, Kebnekajse, MeckiMarkMen [like the Stones
they did Chess sessions], T-Boones & Baby Grandmothers.. It was under
the latter name he jammed with Jimi along his Scandinavian tour in 1968.
During that tour they did several jams, like - i.e - that one
at Jernvallen/Högbo. It is said there is at last one soundboard documentation left of it)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2007-10-17 00:06 by Baboon Bro.

Posted by: Smokey ()
Date: October 16, 2007 21:41

Hope you have a great time.

Baboon Bro Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> [img.photobucket.com]
> uppe/article_image_f844acf938ecd7c2.jpg
> [www.stureplan.se]
> 340/
> (Here's another chap who jammed - a lot - with
> Hendrix.. Kenny Håkansson

Is that a toy guitar? His head is as big as the guitar's body.

stoned in washington dc Wrote:

> You can't learn to play one way...and I can't
> think of anyone that
> I've ever met who's left handed that can just turn
> a right handed
> guitar upside down... To turn it upside-down and
> play backwards. All
> the chords are reversed...and instead of bending a
> string.... You'd
> have to pull it.

Isn't that how Albert King and, at times, Otis Rush played?

Date: October 16, 2007 21:53

(Sorry to break the topic!! But Jammin w/ Jimi H was the "thread in the thread")
Donnow'bout that particular axe or toy axe, Smokey.
But Kenny & many others from 60s used Göran Malmberg's
handicraft-ed-ly made guitars. Malmberg played in Håkanssons group.
As it's said in the text below, he produced guitars for Troggs, Bluebreakers (hey; see the Taylor-connection!) & Clapton

[musiklandet.nu]

Date: October 16, 2007 23:09

Smokey Wrote:

> > You can't learn to play one way...and I can't
> > think of anyone that
> > I've ever met who's left handed that can just
> turn
> > a right handed
> > guitar upside down... To turn it upside-down
> and
> > play backwards. All
> > the chords are reversed...and instead of bending
> a
> > string.... You'd
> > have to pull it.
>
> Isn't that how Albert King and, at times, Otis
> Rush played?

yah i thought it was not as unusual as mick taylor made it out to be myself... but what do i know...

Re: Mick Taylor in DC
Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: October 17, 2007 11:41

... any survivors of the show last night? lookin forward to reports/reviews

Date: October 17, 2007 12:45

Second with sssoul's anticipation! Still a lil too early over there, I reckon?

Posted by: Beelyboy ()
Date: October 17, 2007 12:57

stoned in washington dc Wrote:
> Smokey Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
>
> > > You can't learn to play one way...and I can't
> > > think of anyone that
> > > I've ever met who's left handed that can just
> > turn
> > > a right handed
> > > guitar upside down... To turn it upside-down
> > and
> > > play backwards. All
> > > the chords are reversed...and instead of
> bending
> > a
> > > string.... You'd
> > > have to pull it.
> >
> > Isn't that how Albert King and, at times, Otis
> > Rush played?
>
>
> yah i thought it was not as unusual as mick taylor
> made it out to be myself... but what do i know...

oh it's pretty amazing. i saw hendrix do that one time when he was checking out some guitars in nyc...one was not only upside down because hes lefty and it was strung 'righty' but on top of that it was waaay out of tune...he just hit a chord and bent each string somehow so that the whole thing was in tune and started this ultra-fierce riffing offa that...it was like hard to keep a straight face and be a good kid from brooklyn and not drool or act a fool; but it was purty amazing.

Date: October 17, 2007 13:10

Jimi was amazing nt only as a guitarist but also as a songwriter & arranger of music. Electric Ladyland was on par with Sgt Pepper's as a musical accomplishment and as far as I'm concerned is still ahead of anything that has been done since.

I have been listening to Jimi's stuff non-stop for the past week. Check out the Band of Gyspys to hear an incredible/tight band.

As regards flipping a guitar upside down, Jimi is the only one I know of who could play the guitar strung the right way and also strung upside down. Albert King & Coco Montoya (former Bluesbreaker) play the guitar strung upside down but don't (as far as I know) play it strung the right way up.

Date: October 17, 2007 13:15

Buddy Guy as you would expect stoled the show last night his guitar an extension of his body as he played with Hubert Sumlin(Howlin Wolf's legendary guitarist trading licks for an extended jam. Taylor came on stage and looked comfortable as Buddy tore into My Time awhile and MT traded his signature vibrato for extended solos. They went into IM going down and Buddy walked off the stage and let MT finish the song with an outro slide.Earlier in the evening
MT first came on stage with Mitch Mitchell,Billy Cox and Robbie Krieger and they played All Along the Watch Tower and Robbie played all of the leads and taylor mostly played rhythm(Krieger still plays a mean guitar going from rhythm to soloing throuhgout the night(My favorite Hendrix cover was Krieger doing manic depression and still plays a mean guitar.After All Along the watchtower krieger left the stage and MT was center stage with cox and mitchell and went into I think Hear My Train A Comin.MT's mike did not work so his intro vocals could not be heard as he started the song but his vibrato rocketed the convention hall and my wife now understands the mick taylor method of guitar.
Buddy Guy was respectful of Mick Taylor after he played with him and asked the crowd twice give it up for Mick Taylor. Mitch Mitchell told the crowd after he played with MT that it was great playing with him for the first time. I recorded the show and will get back and see how it sounds before I post.
Overall it was a good show and I am glad I finally got to see MT play live.
Eric Gales opened up the show and did foxy lady and Kenny Wayne Shepherd did tore up Voodo chile. I have had only two hours sleep so as i go through the recording i can list all the artists and songs played.

Date: October 17, 2007 13:31

Thanks millions for the initial report, thorough enuff imo, OG!
I can really identify with the "first-timer-feelin'", since actually
my first Stones concert was this summer.

Date: October 17, 2007 15:07

Very interesting. Seems like Mick had a fairly big part in the show.

Date: October 17, 2007 15:33

<Overall it was a good show and I am glad I finally got to see MT play live.>

Was it really the first time?? Seems like you got a good show!

Date: October 17, 2007 15:50

my head hurts...

good review from OpenG...i will add my thoughts later..

Date: October 17, 2007 16:06

Yes my first time grew up with the RW era.

stoned, We were seated on floor, 20 rows back I did not see anyone with stones shirts, I went up to the stage around 7.30pm to check out the stage, equipment.
I ran into the Gibson Tour bus and talked with some dude who told me jokingly we missed the guitar raffle. Taylor looked trimmer to me on stage and seemed to enjoy himself overall. I hope this good experience with this gig will make him want to tour in the US in the future with his band. With a gig like this you do not get the full Taylor experience seeing him play in a small club would be awesome someday.

Date: October 17, 2007 16:35

i was 8 rows all the way to the left side (stage right)...i got there 3 minutes before it started... i had issues with venue like i bought two beers and then they tell me i can't bring them in! or they wouldnt let me stand on side.. i hate sitting for an entire rocking show... i think constitution hall is a venue to be avoided but i could not pass up theoportunity to see mick taylor.. like OpenG i had yet to see him..

i thought taylor looked in great shape and sounded great!..but of course due to the nature of the show he played on about 4 songs i guess....all these jokes about his weight are misplaced.. i kept yelling his name..i was pumped to see him!... there were a few others in the crowd yelling "mick" when he came out.. i got a good "taylor!!!!!" out there too....on his first song with krieger there was a miscommunicatiion- there was a bit of that between the musicians who seemed not to have practiced too much- krieger looked to taylor to solo after his own solo and the spotlight seemed to come on taylor and he did not take solo and song just fizzed out and krieger mumbled something ..... taylor struck me as very comfortable and got along great with everybody....i think buddy guy and him had a good thing going....

after show i went where the buses where... first i see hubert sumlin with his black hat walking to bus with two people/attendants... i shook hands with him.. his attendants were concerned about my cigarete smoke..and getting him on bus.. he's up there in years....i didn't have a pen with me ..he gets on bus....we hung around and then more people started coming to bus.. most poeple were over by wrong bus.. i see kenny wayne sheperd coming he runs in bus practically...takes picture with one dude. then mitch mitchell runs in signs someone's woodstock album that guy from georgia flew in to get signed...guy kept yapping about getting it signed and i was like wnating to say "dude shut the @#$%& up i'm looking for mick taylor"... then who'sthe last guy i see. .no one else seems to see him... h'es talking to one dude briefly then i go up to him and like a dork i'm trying/asking to get something signed without a pen but its not happening.....anyways i shook hands with him and i'm sure blubbered thanks for the music MICK TAYLOR.. but i forgot to say "PLEASE COME BACK TO THE US!" which is what i wanted to say all night! (DOH!)..my friend got it on video basically mick blowing me off a bit but i understand.. i guess i got caught up in moment.. nice firm handshake...he gets in bus... bus pulls out 1 second later.. he was thelast guy on bus...literally!. i really think he had to get on bus as they had to roll out...my guess is he had some friends visit him after the show as he's lived in the US and knows a lot of people here and hasnt been over much so he was hanging with them backstage... oh yah one more thing: he was 100% with it/together... very professional

forgot to say i heard one of guitarists..guy with some facial hair and hat not sure who talkign to someone about how "well you saw that was difficult" so the musicians at times stuggled with the sound guys and not really being in sync with each other..but thats what you get when its opening night on a revue.. i guess..

lately i'm on a roll where i meet these guys after shows.. i'm thrilled to have shaken hands with the two guys that meantthe most to me: taylor and sumlin!

i do wish i'd told taylor something but in a way its cool at least i was there making it clear he meant something to me.. i was surprised more people weren't looking for him...i really hope he talks to the right people and stays away from the wrong people and gets something going so he can do a real mick taylor tour of the US

musically the highlights for me:

double trouble backing up i can't remember who on little wing...oh yeah a guy from a band called indigenous.. he was good but i could hear stevie ray vaughan during the entire song... to hear double trouble was really cool.....

buddy guy and hubert sumlin were a highlight for me....some people didn't like that buddy guy wasn't doing hendrix songs and more of buddy guy songs but i loved it..i love hendrix but to listen to 3 hours of only hendrix songs would have been a bit much..i thought buddy guy saved the night in a way

mick taylor was a highlight.. he had one particularly killer solo on the second to last song he played (with buddy guy)..

kenny wayne sheperd was great..really brought the house down i thought.. his jam with robert randolph was a highlight and they were pumped after they finished because i think it was hard for musicians to connect and these guys really connected on a musical level which was the whole point of jammming...

guy on radio right now talking about kenny wayne sheperd stealing the show.. he really was good!..."hubert sumlin was outragoiues -him and buddy guy had this thing where they went on for half an hour and buddy said 'how much time we got'" he says...

Date: October 17, 2007 16:51

oh yah also kudos to the kenny wayne shepherd band lead singer noah hunt.. he was great and he must have sang like 8 songs.. he really sounded a lot like hendrix (in a good way)

really without kenny wayne shepherd and noah hunt this show would NOT have worked .. i had seen kenny wayne in 96 but did not remember him being this good.. .and when he played with double trouble that was real neat as it was a bit like stevie ray-ish

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-10-17 16:55 by stoned in washington dc.

Date: October 17, 2007 17:04

Great Review! Thanks for that.

Hey stonedin DC... I know it's too late now, but before i go to any show i make sure i have tickets, camera, and 2 pens.
(lol)
I learned that when i went to a Prince aftershow and didn't have a pen for him to sign. He just said "maybe next time". ever since, 2 pens have been in my pocket!

Date: October 17, 2007 17:19

yah i'm weird about autographs/signings.. i just dont do a good job.. i like to party hard before/during shows so i don't have my mind entirely together..

but maybe i'll add a sharpie or some type of small pen to my key chain...

Posted by: ablett ()
Date: October 17, 2007 17:25

Anyone ever played the John Mayall & the Blues Breakers (featuring MT) for free streaming on the Wolfgang's Vault website?

Top stuff.....

Date: October 18, 2007 03:14

hey OpenG i'm really excited to hear you taped the show!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1069
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home