Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Stones' Wood: I did so many drugs, Keith Richards got mad!
Posted by: Hound Dog ()
Date: October 16, 2007 04:49

Don't think this has been posted, its from the New York Post from today.

[www.nydailynews.com]

Stones' Wood: I did so many drugs, Keith Richards got mad!

You know you're doing too many drugs when Keith Richards gets upset over it.

Rolling Stone Ron Wood admits he was freebasing so much cocaine at one point that Richards "had turned into Mr. Drug Enforcement Administration."

"Everybody was angry with me around this time, and after a row with Keith one day, he stormed off to get his gun," Wood writes in his new memoir "Ronnie" (St. Martin's Press). "He returned with his derringer, pointed it at me and yelled 'You f—ing b—!' I calmly pulled out my .44 Magnum. And that was the last time Keith drew his gun on me ... until the next time."

The two guitarists fought again in a hotel room while on tour, Wood adds. "He barged in, broke the glass bowl of the pipe, and came straight at my face. ... He smashed a bottle and cut me with it. I stormed out and went to find Mick [Jagger] and Charlie [Watts ], who were working on a song in a room along the corridor. While I stood there bleeding all over the carpet, Mick looked up and asked: 'Have you got any ideas for the middle eight?'"

Wood returned to the room, where Richards "pulled out his huge ratchet knife, put it to my throat and yelled ... 'I'd f—ing cut your throat, but your girlfriend would never forgive me for all the mess I'd make.'"

This from a guy who "did heroin for 10 solid years," Wood claims.

Eventually, Jagger had a heart-to-heart with Wood, and he agreed to go into rehab.

Wood's wildly entertaining book is peopled with virtually every major British and American rocker since the early '60s, including:

Jimi Hendrix, his roommate in London, one of two "musicians' musicians" he met in his life [the other being Stevie Ray Vaughan ].

Rod Stewart, who with Wood was so poor when they were in the Small Faces that they stole hardboiled eggs to eat on tour in the U.S.

Elton John, who was supposed to do just one song with the Stones, but wouldn't let Billy Preston back at the piano, despite Jagger yelling at him to "Get off the stage!"

Keith Moon, who "drove his Jeep through the plate glass windows of the hotel, went through the lobby and up the steps, then he leaned over and said to the receptionist, 'May I have my keys, please?'"

In one of the great understatements, Wood muses, "We knew how to party."

Re: Stones' Wood: I did so many drugs, Keith Richards got mad!
Date: October 16, 2007 05:21

i think a lot of this stuff is just made up.....but it sells.

Posted by: open-g ()
Date: October 16, 2007 05:26

agree - but it makes me wonder how much truth's in it.

crazy read, anyhow.

Date: October 16, 2007 06:27

open g are you the one going to see mick taylor tomorrow night?

see you at the show!

i'll be wearing my stones shirt...looking stoned out of mind and a little drunk..

i think i'm in the first section facing the stage center butlast row of that section..

Posted by: Beast ()
Date: October 16, 2007 10:17

One thing is right - and that is that the book IS wildly entertaining. It's a laugh a page.

Posted by: windmelody ()
Date: October 16, 2007 13:38

It may be a little entertaining, but I hope that not the whole book consists of stories like that. Does Ronnie Wood like to present himself as a painter and a musician or as a drug addict?

Posted by: ablett ()
Date: October 16, 2007 13:40

Obviously the press pull out the juicey bits!

Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: October 16, 2007 13:49

I remember reading Bill's "Rolling With..." stating that Keith had the ability to tone down his use of substances around tour times.

If this is the case, I could understand Keith's problem with Ronnie if Keith thought that Ronnie's indulgence was at the point of interfering with business.

Posted by: Koschi ()
Date: October 16, 2007 13:58

Is the Elton John story true? What did happen exactly?

Date: October 16, 2007 14:06

windmelody Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Does Ronnie Wood like to present himself as a painter and a musician or as a drug addict?

Stones' Wood: I did so many paintings, Pablo Picasso got mad!

Rolling Stone Ron Wood admits he was wasting so much oil paint on canvas at one point that Pablo Picasso "had turned into Mr. Iconoclast."

"Everybody was angry with me around this time, and after a row with Pablo one day, he stormed off to get paint brush," Wood writes in his new memoir "Ronnie" (St. Martin's Press). "He returned with his brush made of Kolinsky hair, pointed it at me and yelled 'You f—ing b—!' I calmly pulled out my finishing brush. And that was the last time Pablo drew his brush on me ... until the next time."

The two painters fought again in a hotel room while on an exhibition, Wood adds. "He barged in, took a bucket of paint and poured it straight in my face.

Stones' Wood: I did so many solos, Mick Taylor got mad!

Rolling Stone Ron Wood admits he was wasting so many guitar strings Mick Taylor "had turned into Mr. Ernie Ball."

"Everybody was angry with me around this time, and after a row with Mick one day, he stormed off to get his guitar," Wood writes in his new memoir "Ronnie" (St. Martin's Press). "He returned with his vintage Les Paul, pointed it at me and yelled 'Put your leath— jack— on!' I calmly pulled out my ESP Signature. And that was the last time Mick Taylor drew his guitar on me ... until the next time."

The guitarists fought again in a hotel room while on tour, Wood adds. "He barged in, took an acoustic guitar and soloed right into my face.

I guess we'll have to stay with the drug stories....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-10-16 14:08 by F.U.C. the Captain.

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: October 16, 2007 14:07

>> Is the Elton John story true? What did happen exactly? <<

every time i've read about it it's been reported pretty much as above,
except that i've read more often that it was Keith telling him to clear out.
anyway it was at Fort Collins, july 19th 1975. he was supposed to guest on one number
but stayed for pretty much the whole show.

Posted by: Beast ()
Date: October 16, 2007 14:07

windmelody Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> It may be a little entertaining, but I hope that
> not the whole book consists of stories like that.
>

No, it doesn't and the entertainment is not just down to that kind of story by any means. That press article is a paragraph or two and the book is over 350 pages. As Ablett says, the press pick out what they think are the most sensational and headline-grabbing parts.

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: October 16, 2007 14:10

>> "had turned into Mr. Ernie Ball" <<

LoFL

Posted by: gstone ()
Date: October 16, 2007 19:49

At least, the story of Keith Moon and Ronnie driving into a hotel lobby (in Scotland) is well known, and has been confirmed... But I thought it was a Rolls Royce, not a Jeep. (But then, I was not there!)

Posted by: rooster ()
Date: October 16, 2007 21:23

hmmm its a must have...those stories are true!!!

Posted by: KWhinos ()
Date: October 16, 2007 22:03

Is this out in the US?

My Blog
[stonesrockforever.blogspot.com]

Posted by: rooster ()
Date: October 16, 2007 22:09

I am gonna ask that book for my birthday(if i can wait!!)soon come!!

Posted by: Jumpin'JackFrash ()
Date: October 16, 2007 22:43

The title of this thread sounds like a Rodney Dangerfield joke.

Posted by: john r ()
Date: October 17, 2007 08:05

It doesn't sound made up really, much of this stuff is familiar.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1292
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home