Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

How should the legacy be preserved ?
Posted by: out of my head ()
Date: October 13, 2007 04:29

Old topic but I wonder what we are gonna get after the Stones are done. It will be a sad day for all when that day comes but it is inevitable. I just hope the legacy is preserved, documented appropriately and definitively. The Beatles Anthology was a revelation to Beatles fan. I remember when I bought that on VHS. 8 total I think. That box set was great but the Beatles just weren't my thing as much as the Stones. Now it is on 6 DVDs. They were only together for 10 years give or take. Why can't they start releasing an anthology similar in scope for the Stones. Approx 6 DVDs to cover each decade with all the classic interviews, TV performances, concert performances, promos, videos, rare studio footage in other words EVERYTHING a Stones fan could want. Say for instance the Stones call it quits at the end of this decade. That would be about a 30 DVD set. That would be a dream come true. Hopefully record companies and all those people could come together to create something like this. A lot of us already have tons of rare footage and classic boots but it would be great to have this stuff in official release. i dont know just wishful thinkng. Anyone think something like that will EVER happen ?

Re: How should the legacy be preserved ?
Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: October 13, 2007 04:48

preserve it right there in that jar.

(sorry, I felt like saying that, im not trying to take the piss, thats a good question I dont have an answer to it).

Posted by: oldkr ()
Date: October 13, 2007 04:51

for the 8 millionth time: They don't have a "legacy" its a fan created myth which facilitates and enables the feeling that one can vicariously relive ones youth through the music of that time!

OLDKR

Posted by: Lord Sinclair ()
Date: October 13, 2007 05:36

It's the music. Keep the albums and play them. Throw out the DVDs and keep the memories of seeing them live in person to yourself and the odd grandchild smart enough to know what good music sounds like. The rest is myth.

Date: October 13, 2007 05:46

Ok so let me go throw out my DVDs. That is absurd. I have not had the pleasure of seeing the Stones multiple times. Just once. I dont vicariously relive through anything. When I was a "youth" the Stones were already starting on Steel Wheels. Not a matter of nostalgia it's just simply wanting to be able to WATCH THE STONES whenever I would wantand have a definitive "rewind" so to speak. Such sarcasm and cynicism on this board. Just talking bout the Stones.

Posted by: Lord Sinclair ()
Date: October 13, 2007 05:50

Preseve them however you want. But it once was, still is, and always shall be about the music.

Ask yourself this Out of My Head. Which band and song was playing when you first had sex? Or was it a DVD?

For so many of us, it is about the music and the memories the music brings back to us.

Date: October 13, 2007 06:04

Well of course it's all about the music. That has always and will always come first for me. The Stones were really my introduction to music, well apart from Muddy and Jimi. They have always been the epitome of what a great rock and roll band is. Simply because of the music. But even the Stones have embraced all forms of media. In this day and age it's impossible not to. Don't get me wrong, I cannot stand 80% of what passes as music these days. There are a few good bands out there but no market for them. Which is probably a good thing because it keeps the music pure and free from the ugly music business. The music and videos of the Stones are what bring back memories for me. I remember being a 10 yearold and seeing ER vid and later SMU and TIOMS vids. I loved that era and those vids wre great to watch. They take me back just like the music does. It would just be nice to have both is all.

And now for the sex part.......no music....just a TV blaring in the background

The music and sex together came later when I actually knew what I was doing

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: October 13, 2007 06:10

I'll listen to Hot Rocks and More Hot Rocks...essential Stones.

Posted by: Beelyboy ()
Date: October 13, 2007 06:34

whatever legacy they have, or have had, or will continue to have comes down to the simple project output. Lots of times big compilations and projects like that are taking pristine perfectly produced and mastered stuff and "re-mastering" begins; already a step away from the classic product that the guyz said "Yes" to, before they accepted it as a take for inclusion on an album.

I personally think the best way to go about your quest is to just simply get each and every studio album, starting right with the first one...the best possible of whatever everybody here thinks (there's probably close to a consensus of sorts) are the best available versions of the london stuff (at least that's what the label said in the states)...

i mean they done did it!! everything sequenced, performed brilliantly and with great spirit; not a klinker in their entire catalog those first ten, fifteen years as a recording band. great art, great music, great albums, one after another...
i may like certain songs more than others of course, but as "albums" there was not a klinker or a weak one, with the possible exception of parts of satanic majesties, tho i sorta like the weirdness of that one more and more with time...
not one klinker from 'england's newest hitmakers' up to late seventies, earliest 80....imo. and that's a premiere legacy beyond belief almost.
to make even one great rock album is a miracle...they made two great ones a year for a long time...

my only other friendly suggestion, meant as humor not as a slam, would be to get rid of steel wheels, babyon, all that tripe and get with 'aftermath' and 'flowers' haa....seriously...(tho i'm a big VL fan personally)...

around and around blows me away still...
...cynic tho i may be at times, i think talking about the legacy being "preserved" is slightly shaky ground, as it seems like most of the most popular and proliferate hardware/software models for modern listening and contemporary music fans, is not on the best fidelity anyway; nor designed to be; it's designed around size and fashion, not great stereo fidelity and warmth...it's almost like that's (THE SOUND) the last concern amidst all the geekery and touting NEWLY REMASTERED! on products...

so that legacy is a fragile thing. you're a bit younger than me, and i must say i feel really bad about that beatles #1 album doing so hugely well a few Christmas' ago...because that re-mastered stuff sounds like pure weird crap compared to even the MONO original albums...the panning is wacked; the high mids cut through sterile and cold; so those who have been dying to hear Huge sterile tambourine as a lead instrument, well, there ya go...and for some people they have to get this crap, only because of when they were born and what became available and promoted...it sold so well; it was some of their best material and performances and it was just unlistenable tripe for me...literally...garbage...

i bought one for a gift for my friend's daughter and have had to buy her two Capitol four cd packages of early stuff as amends...
it was really bothering me she's be listening fresh as a young person about to go to college, anot having grown up with much of it and really now having open ears and heart...and she'd have that crappy stuff instead of the real stuff...

believe me some 'legacy' minded re-mastering geek really wants to turn their whole catalog into that same cheesy, highly trebelized, adenoidal, again lead tambourine sterile sound of jagger on that credit card commercial 'i'm free'
(the apex of cynical irony and sellout that little move, but no biggie...they are what they are not what they were or what they might yet be.

i liked the rice kripy commercial but they weren't letting techno joe screw up the furor with that one...

i've somewhere heard a version of tioms that was a similar trainwreck...
legacy should be preserved by keeping those ARTIST APPROVED stereo and mono masters AT THE TIME and not let anybody tweak on 'em too much, if at all.

so if there legacy or let's say, catalog, gets the "NEW IMPROVED" treatment and/or package...well, i'd be real suspicious...
imo only very rarely do they get this kind of stuff right...stick with the albums as released is my feeling...such an amazing legacy right there. eternal.

or just play beggars over and over...beyond legacy into the mystic and much gratitude..or let it bleed...or exiles...or between the buttons, or 12 X 5, or that great Out of Our Heads. speaking of which...

they could put out a live album from the '72/73 tour; that's a huge part of their own legacy they've ignored commercially; i sometimes think i have better boots than they have actual releases these last many years...

Date: October 13, 2007 07:27

I agree i dont want any "remastering" i have the albums if i want to hear the pure warm sound i guess all i am asking for is all the vids and promos would be simple as that yes i have all the music i would settle for all the vids and promos to me those are necessary no one can deny the Stones have always been obsessed with image too well Mick at least it would be great to have them all in one collection

Posted by: bombayturner ()
Date: October 13, 2007 08:27

mtv unplugged

Posted by: little queenie ()
Date: October 13, 2007 10:28

preserve the legacy code by continuing to pay annual membership.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: October 13, 2007 10:31

Recarve Mount Rushmore..........

ROCKMAN

Posted by: rooster ()
Date: October 13, 2007 10:34

At least there is Amy Winehouse!!!raise your glass!!

Posted by: The GR ()
Date: October 13, 2007 13:32

You'll sit at your computer and there it will be. No CDs, no DVDs just a load of files.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: October 13, 2007 15:08

out of my head Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Old topic but I wonder what we are gonna get after
> the Stones are done.

A life?

Posted by: phelge ()
Date: October 13, 2007 16:21

A statue of the boys cast in bronze holding a union-jack at the enterance to the Houses of Parliament.

NOT!

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: October 13, 2007 20:50

Rockman Wrote:
> Recarve Mount Rushmore..........

Is there a petition for this? If so I'll sign it!!!!

that is the best idea Ive ever heard anyone say about anything...ever.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2007-10-13 21:10 by ryanpow.

Posted by: Doctor Dear! ()
Date: October 13, 2007 21:34

Their music is the soundtrack of my life

Date: October 13, 2007 21:35

Preserve them with cryogenics!

[www.iorr.org]

Posted by: melillo ()
Date: October 14, 2007 03:17

the stones legacy will be just that, a legacy, no need to preserve what is going to be timeless dude

Posted by: whiskey ()
Date: October 14, 2007 10:02

Just to add my 2 cents worth I would like to tell you what I have done allready for my version of stones legacy. I have coupled my entire collection of stones material along with my personal contribution to my family tree. ( there is other music and pics of course but not in the same quantity of course)Maybe just maybe in the year 2207 someone may enjoy finding out about me, my life. my music and life in general in the 20th century. Why would they not freak out when hearing the greatest band in history. The stones are me, I am the stones, they are an integral part of my being.(providing the world is not destroyed by then)I hope they have electricity to play the DVD player thats planned for the capsule.

Posted by: Beelyboy ()
Date: October 14, 2007 12:52

NumberOneStonesFan Wrote:
> Preserve them with cryogenics!
>
> [www.iorr.org]

oh those vampires are WAY beyond needing cryogenics; check out the 1792 tour thread sometime!

Date: October 14, 2007 23:42

ROCKMAN has preserved their legacy for them. Incredible archive.

Posted by: voodoocat ()
Date: October 17, 2007 00:37

three possibilities

a. scorsese gets a multimillion dollar grant to work at Lucas special effects studio and remasters every existing stones piece of archival film in HI-DEF 3d surround sound with select a stone feature. you can choose to see Dead Flowers from Leeds from Charlie's point of view for example.Of course, scorsese's integrity requires a "balanced" "unbiased" record of events. So we'll also get chapter 26, "Accidents will happen", will Bill falling off stage, Keith crashing cars, falling out of coconut trees etc.

b. a new Bill Wyman book with "exclusive never before seen images"

c. wait for it ....... a new GREATEST HITS compilation.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1864
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home