Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Shine a Light, April 4th 2008
Posted by: Sandy Beach ()
Date: October 9, 2007 22:55

the new is in:

[www.rollingstones.com]

Re: Shine a Light, April 4th 2008
Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: October 9, 2007 23:30

[www.iorr.org]

Brill ... and for those of us that have an Atlantic Ocean separating us from those "select theatres"; any news on when WE'RE gonna be able to see it ?

Posted by: bv ()
Date: October 9, 2007 23:32

We just hire the IMAX theathe in London and make a BIG party!

Bjornulf

Date: October 9, 2007 23:34

bv Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> We just hire the IMAX theathe in London and make a
> BIG party!

Excellent suggestion. I'm there !

Posted by: Baboon Bro ()
Date: October 9, 2007 23:39

Time, thus, to book a spring trip to London.
Reckon good ole BV gonna count on the expenses?
Maybe we could get Phelge, Anita, Bill & Taylor to join us : o )

Date: October 10, 2007 00:15

To be honest I will probably be totally broke following shows in India and so on spring time. Seeing the movie on a crap inflight screen would be more likely unfortunately.

Bjornulf

Date: October 10, 2007 00:24

:´O/

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: October 10, 2007 01:18

bv Wrote:
> To be honest I will probably be totally broke
> following shows in India and so on spring time.
> Seeing the movie on a crap inflight screen would
> be more likely unfortunately.

subtle way of dropping some hard news into the mix, there,......!

Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: October 10, 2007 02:54

Wandered past Madison Square Garden yesterday, just on the chance that they have announced some spring concerts to coincide with the release. Nada - nothing but a cat show... It's going to be a loooooong winter. Sigh...

Posted by: little queenie ()
Date: October 10, 2007 02:56

maybe OT but i'm guess BV will go to bangkok too. after spending 3 days in bangkok last week, i can't imagine going to a stones show there. so many desperate people and complete chaos.

Posted by: kahoosier ()
Date: October 10, 2007 07:24

You really felt that way about Bangkok Val? Having spent the better part of a decade out on the "Pacific Asian Rim," I have found Bangkok to always be a pleasant stay. Chaotic, for sure by Western standards, as are most Asian metropolises. But compare the Thai people, who always seem to have a smile on their face and are ready with laughter, to the sadness so apparent in Manilla. Until the recent rebuilding going on in Beijing, an Olympic frenzy, Bangkok was a ray of light compared to China's capitol.We Americans, unfortunately, have a tendancy to judge all by USA standards.So of course if we see 12 people in 3 room flat sharing a bathroom with the next flat, we see them as desperate and cannot imagine how they can be happy. There are historic neighborhoods in Beijing with houses 100's of years old and no toilets; bathrooms are communal every few 100 yards. Far from miserable, the people there are fighting modernization.I have alwasy enjoyed Bangkok, and believe it or not, in a place called Bumrungrad Hospital, you can get some of the finest anbd most up to date health care in the entire world; the patient population is truely international.

Posted by: HelterSkelter ()
Date: October 10, 2007 07:54

Queenie, Whoa, I gotta agree with Kahoosier here on this Bangkok thing. Yeah, it's not SINGAPORE (but do you REALLY want it to be) but there's a method to the madness and the people are the greatest in the world. The city's a bit caotic and traffic is a problem but I've seen major improvements since my first visit in 1984. I have to agree to some degree with Dr. K about Manila which does have a much different vibe but if you really want desperation and chaos check out CALCUTTA (Kolkata). That place will wake up your senses. Jakarta isnt anything like the Fantastic BALI either, but I haven't been to Jakarta for a long time (wasn't too hot when I was there - BALI's my 1st pick anytime).

Interesting Kahoosier's mention of Bumrungrad Hospital because "60 MINUTES" had a piece on it about a year ago (DVD of the program is found on AMAZON) and it really is a way to beat the crazy costs in the USA for people that need an operation or proceedure but don't have the cash - it actually looked better than a typical US Hospital to me - nothing but raves from all the American patients interviewed... BTW, Queenie, what did you go to Bangkok for? Vacation or a work thing?

Date: October 10, 2007 10:09

i saw a lot of homeless people when i lived in berkeley, CA but not as many as in "historic" bangkok where i stayed. the streets were all lined with vendors selling junk (garage sale stuff) and at night, they pack up, but just sleep in the same spot. many with no blankets. many not even on the sidewalk but literally lying in the street, within feet of cars and tuck-tucks whizzing by.

in between the homeless are sets of plastic chairs on each blocks where hookers sit. everywhere. every 5 feet is another group. and yes, some of them smiled at me. the homeless dog and cat situation was out of control, but i have seen that before in mexico (and where i live here in chicago, at least with cats). i literally left that city crying after trying unsuccesfully to feed a starving kitten. not much compassion at the buddhist temple, ironically.

i was in malaysia for a week for a wedding - saw more shopping malls than i've ever seen before in kuala lumpur and saw the rainforests burning down to clear way for the palm oil industry. i swam in a river with 3 orphaned baby elephants. the family went to bangkok for a few days after the wedding.

Date: October 10, 2007 11:17

Gazza Wrote:
> bv Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > To be honest I will probably be totally broke
> > following shows in India and so on spring time.
> > Seeing the movie on a crap inflight screen
> would
> > be more likely unfortunately.
>
>
> subtle way of dropping some hard news into the
> mix, there,......!

My thoughts entirely !! India, Dubai, Bangkok etc ? Just rumours or anything even modestly resembling a hard fact out there ? Come on BV, spill the beans !!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-10-10 12:15 by paulywaul.

Posted by: iamthedj ()
Date: October 10, 2007 11:23

As the statement suggests the film will only be shown in select theatres in America, even less in England and probably not at all in Ireland. Will we get a quick DVD release? This would make more sense in a sort of strike while the iron's hot way.

Date: October 10, 2007 11:29

iamthedj Wrote:
> As the statement suggests the film will only be
> shown in select theatres in America, even less in
> England and probably not at all in Ireland. Will
> we get a quick DVD release? This would make more
> sense in a sort of strike while the iron's hot
> way.

It's inconceivable (or is it) that it won't be shown in cinemas in the UK and/or elsewhere in Europe/rest of world ? I mean for heavens sake, what's the thinking behind that, that the sole market for the film is in the United States ?? For f f f f f f f f f's sake !! Have these distributors taken leave of what little sense they have ??

Posted by: georgeV ()
Date: October 10, 2007 18:58

paulywaul Wrote:
>
> My thoughts entirely !! India, Dubai, Bangkok etc
> ? Just rumours or anything even modestly
> resembling a hard fact out there ? Come on BV,
> spill the beans !!

We have all heard this plus five nights at MSG. I still have a hard time believing these will happen. Financially I don't see how it works unless they are using the far east shows to warm up for MSG. You can't exactly go into MSG cold and not hear about it in the news! I guess that might be one way to publicize the movie.

On Shidoobee, people are saying it will be full tour of the US but that is not what I had heard.

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: October 10, 2007 19:05

Doing some shows to publicise the movie of, erm...some shows is really rather odd isn't it.

But then again everything is odd in the music business these days.
Bands used to tour to promote albums. Now they make albums to provide a name for the tour,do the tour , make a film of the tour, and then do another tour to promote the film of the tour.

...or so you'd be excused for believing ;^)

Date: October 10, 2007 20:46

SomeTorontoGirl Wrote:
> Wandered past Madison Square Garden yesterday,
> just on the chance that they have announced some
> spring concerts to coincide with the release. Nada
> - nothing but a cat show... It's going to be a
> loooooong winter. Sigh...
>
> [i182.photobucket.com]
> M0644.jpg

i think that's a homeless cat adoption event instead of a pretentious "cat show" put on by breeders.

plenty of room for the cats and the stones. i find a nice balance every day winking smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-10-10 20:49 by little queenie.

Date: October 10, 2007 21:20

Don't expect a full tour. They have already done a full tour through the last couple of years all over the world. What they will do is to back up Shine A Light. They don't need 200 US shows to do that. They will do the warmup in India, Bangkok and some other remote places where they have unfinsished business, and by the way then they don't have to rehearse that much, then they will do some secondary markets in North America plus some posh and always elling places like Boston New York Los Angeles and a few more. Remember No Security was not that big tour, it was arena only and lasted for three months. I am just talking out of what I hear and what I think here but it seems like they will do a fair amount of show, not a massive tour. Probably three months including India and the rest of the world, which means just a part of this time frame for N.A.

Bangkok is great by the way. Whenever I fly home from Japan or Australia or China I do always have a stop-over in Bangkok. Highly recommended if you are flying in that direction, and next year they will most probably perform there too.

Bjornulf

Posted by: Lukester ()
Date: October 10, 2007 21:54

....finally, they will play India and sunnybandyo99 is nowhere to be found....

Date: October 10, 2007 23:43

Lukester Wrote:
> ....finally, they will play India and
> sunnybandyo99 is nowhere to be found....

He'll be back one day, with yet more questions about what to do about the latest love of his/her life ... I never DID figure out whether sb99 was male or female ??

Date: October 11, 2007 00:08

Did it ever occure to you that he might have been a dirty old lady next door to your home, running under an alias, having fun with all of us? These days on internet people are not often what they pretend to be. They can be so nice or they can be a pest. They come in all flavours but if they don't come by real names and real people you can meet I don't really trust anything of what they say or what they pretend to be. I have been around long enough to have seen most of what's around.

But still, India will be great. During one of my flights recently I was sitting next to a guy from India. I said I would see the Stones in the spring in India. He said there is no spring in India. It is always summer in India. Always hot. 50 C summer and 49 C winter I suppose.

Bjornulf

Date: October 11, 2007 00:10

Would anyone predict the forecasts for touring after, say, August?

Date: October 11, 2007 00:34

The forecast is sunny.

Date: October 11, 2007 00:35

paulywaul Wrote:
> Lukester Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > ....finally, they will play India and
> > sunnybandyo99 is nowhere to be found....
>
> He'll be back one day, with yet more questions
> about what to do about the latest love of his/her
> life ... I never DID figure out whether sb99 was
> male or female ??

he made an unforgettable series of posts on Rocks Off after he left IORR and made a similarly lasting impression!

Date: October 11, 2007 00:38

iamthedj Wrote:
> As the statement suggests the film will only be
> shown in select theatres in America, even less in
> England and probably not at all in Ireland.

Thats not how I interpret it. More a case of rs.com simply forgetting (not for the first time) that theyre also sending mailshots to people who dont live in the US. File it up there with their merchandise offers inviting you to celebrate Thanksgiving,4th of July, etc.

Anyway, 'Select theatres' simply means 'there isnt much of a market for it' so I'm sure that if they show it anywhere it'll be for a brief run only. The days of concert films breaking much delph at the box office are long gone. It'll be on DVD soon enough.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-10-11 00:42 by Gazza.

Date: October 11, 2007 00:51

Gazza Wrote:
> The forecast is sunny.

Literally or witeraly?

Posted by: sweet things ()
Date: October 11, 2007 09:15

Thanks for the news

Posted by: mickjagger1009 ()
Date: October 11, 2007 18:37

Anyone know if this will also be in IMAX? Or just regular theathers?

"You'll be studying history and you'll be down the gym. And I'll be down the pub, probably playing pool and drinking."

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1043
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home