Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Keith vocal on Rip this Joint outtake
Posted by: JMARKO ()
Date: October 11, 2007 02:23

"You might view things different, if you had

- bought the recording for a lot of money
- you had promised your "source" to not pass it on
- you had shared other recordings in the past, which the bootlegers made a lot of money of...without asking"

You got it Erik. Bravo for someone understanding this.

While it seems selfish and egotistical to keep uncirculated stuff close to the vest, these are the three main reasons it happens.

Sharing things for free can ultimately end one's access to ANYTHING rare/uncirulated -- especially if it ends up being bootlegged.

One's 'investment' -- monetarily or via fostering a trusting relationship with a fellow collector -- simply becomes a wasted one if something gets shared and ultimately widely circulated. It loses its value, along with the value of the relationship. And it can also cause problems for the person you got it from.

For example, let's say a tour manager ended up with a soundboard recording from a tour and gave a copy of it to someone he knew as a trusted, high-level collector as a gift for something, or as a token of friendship.

If that collector simply passed on a copy or copies of that to anyone he wanted to, he'd not only end his reputation with that tour manager as being a trusted one (and probably his future access), he'd also jeopardize the reputation/relationship of that tour manager with whomever he worked for.

People lose their jobs for these types of things. Beleive it or not. When you work for a band, or a studio, or similar it is implied, or explicitly stated, that your will not use or abuse the resources and materials you have access to for personal gain etc. Much like a confidentiality agreement.

When you are considering sound recordings, especially studio, you are entering into publishing and performance rights which carry a lot of attachements and interest from the people who own those rights.

So people who get access to these types of things, and aren't associated with bootlegging production, try to keep ANY association with bootlegging and dissemination of these materials out of their circles.

J

Date: October 11, 2007 13:40

It's funny that always the guys that have nothing to trade are asking for free cicrulation.

Besides I'm sure they don't even know how to download a torrent but still they want everything for "free".

Nothing against the nice idea. But still reality is a bassin of sharks. Go ask RIAA for free circulation.

Posted by: Nanker Phlegm ()
Date: October 11, 2007 19:55

all vey good and valid points JMARKO bit isnt it often the abuse of those privildges or the breaching work rules tha tmake some of our most cherished "unofficial" recordings available.

Of course some are leaked and shared with approval. Lowell George of Little Feat was know to pass on soundboard recordings to earn a few bob on the side but he mixed them first to ensure a decent quality, they even had artwork by fear over artis Neon Parks.

I have some live recordings that are not just soundboard but recorded on a mobile for a proposed live album that never materialised. I have seen occasionly CDs of one nigh going on e-bay for up to £100, i have all 3 nighs (different set each night) they were given to me by a band member, I would never dream of betraying that trust, if i did the stuff i get, that he doesnt mind me sharing would stop, but the main reason is the betrayal of trust. so i can see both points.

Posted by: scaffer ()
Date: October 12, 2007 01:35

I bet Stones Relics would know if this exists.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1589
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home