Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Who has seen Van Halen so Far?
Posted by: brewcrew87 ()
Date: October 5, 2007 21:41

ok for all of you who have seen van halen on this tour what do you think- how does this version of vh stack up to other versions

Re: Who has seen Van Halen so Far?
Posted by: Beelyboy ()
Date: October 5, 2007 22:22

i have NOT seen them but please let me offer this little post anyway, till concert fans chime in here, and i'm looking forward to that!

first song; first night of tour...(short excerpt)

starting things off with the Kinks is a good omen always, for anyone.

looks purty exciting...fidelity sux on these but fun...seems fully powered up to me frankly.
there are some good fidelity rehearsal clips and maybe one on youtube from an actual concert; i'll try to find as times goes on...but i did see one a few days ago somewhere that was good fidelity and it was very powerful...a shame anthony got screwed but wolfie is cute and solid up there...a good presence...they are making it work; and dave's big mouth about the power of the band being full-on despite the many years estranged, seems perfectly true and backed up, so far...
i'm not going to go see them personally; but i enjoy them and it seems they are very very powerful shape right now.
total balls out and making it work. the last thing most posters here, including me, expected.
actually, it's historic and sorta explosive if they pull this off and keep on runnin' with it...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-10-06 00:06 by Beelyboy.

Posted by: Steven ()
Date: October 6, 2007 13:18

I went to the Charlotte opener and it was great, in the same league with The Who and Stones shows I have seen recently but with better guitar playing. IMHO, the VH catalog of songs does not compare well with The Stones or Who, and outside their hits the VH material falls off quickly, but they put on a helluva show and the highs were certainly more energetic than the Stones or Who. Eddie has lost none of speed or skill. While DLR is not Jagger or Daltrey, he is entertaining nonetheless and an essential part of the band's success. He unfortnately is copying Jagger's 75 @#$%& antics during Jump.

Don't miss them this tour!

Posted by: Pedro99 ()
Date: October 6, 2007 17:58

Saw them last night. Great setlist lots of energy. I actually liked this line up with Wolfie - had a sense of something new. Certainly not like not Van Halen in past - David Lee Roth - not what he used to be - but then again who is? His vocals are fine and they sounded great. I thought the setlist was perfect to appeal to the masses. If you get a chance go see them - they won't disappoint.

[www.courant.com]

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2007-10-07 17:05 by Pedro99.

Posted by: RadioMarv ()
Date: October 6, 2007 20:53

cant wait to see this show

they hit Cleveland on Weds

my only hope is that the Indians can dispose of those dreaded Yankees before that date.

I dont want to miss the game BUT even more important, with a VH show and a playoff game both on the same night on the same block parking in Cleveland will be a nightmare smiling smiley

Posted by: black n blue ()
Date: October 7, 2007 04:25

The opener, Sound like they did in the 80's

Posted by: Ladykiller ()
Date: October 7, 2007 13:39

does David Lee Roth still jumps over the stage like 20 years ago???

Posted by: Pedro99 ()
Date: October 7, 2007 17:07

He has just kicks one leg high during the show - that is all he has left in the tank. You can read a review of the show in my above post.(courant.com)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-10-07 17:08 by Pedro99.

Posted by: James Kirk ()
Date: October 7, 2007 18:41

I'm shocked to say it, but Van Halen kicked ass.

I was away on business + had no intention of seeing them, but my hotel was right near the arena where they were playing opening night. I got a ticket from a scalper at the absolute last second for face value.

I was shocked at how tight they were.

Somehow or other longtime train wrecks Eddie Van Halen + DLR were able to get their act together + put on a great show.

Unlike the last VH tour they seemed to be having the time of their lives and that vibe made it's way to the audience.

The show was a lot of fun.

I still doubt that they will make it to the end of the tour w/out some type of breakdown, but the night I saw them they were great.

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: October 7, 2007 21:55

Not yet, but can't wait for December 5. From what I've read, they aren't doing any interviews on the tour. Perhaps that's a good thing.
Also, the one thing I notice alot from the You Tube clips I've seen is that DLR is actually singing most of the lyrics as opposed to screaming and singing the occasional verse. I've seen him 3 times with VH in the early 80's as well as 4 times solo and this is the best I've actually heard him sing. Maybe the fact that Mike Anthony isn't there for all the harmonies makes him have to sing more, although Wolfie seems to be doing a good job. Eddie looks like he's having fun on stage, too. One must remember that although it's been 23 years since DLR has sang with VH, this is the first time in 23 years that Eddie and Alex have played most of their early catalog in concert, too. In all the tours with Sammy, he didn't want to do much of the DLR songs so all we heard was Jump, Panama, You Really Got Me. You can bet they're having fun playing Hot For Teacher, Jamie's Crying, Dance The Night Away, Pretty Woman, etc. again.
I think the fact that they've added alot more shows since the original announcement and the huge financial windfall that they'll enjoy will mean they'll last throughout this leg of the tour. I'm sure we'll see more shows announced soon for the new year, especially the southern US cities.

Posted by: trainarollin ()
Date: October 12, 2007 05:42

I saw them last night in Cleveland. Here's a video I shot. Had moxed feelings about the show. I feel that David Lee was not allowed to have any creative input into stage design or merch. Diamond Dave is gone. It was a straight forward rock show that lacked the excitement party atmosphere that the Diamond Dave years were.

They had a curved catwalk that went about 1/4 waay back into floor. Dave used it (maybe 5 times) briefly. Wolfgang used it once. Eddie was not cordless and could not go past Wolfgangs amp rig.

Overall a 7 out of 10 Rating.

I shot mostly the screen...I was close but not THAT close.

Posted by: chippy ()
Date: October 12, 2007 08:33

pics here
[www.iorr.org]

this sure was a hi lite in philly

Posted by: soundcheck ()
Date: October 13, 2007 22:55

... mammoth/van halen played all over the san fernando valley in the early seventies,, for a short while they were like the house band at a little place in van nuys called pier 7, there were many wild, loose and rauching beer bars scattered thru out the valley that had a stage,, other club names escape me at the moment,... i recall they cover'd stone songs very well, and they always 'packed the house'..

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: October 14, 2007 02:53

I remember seeing them as an opening act for some chick band that never made it. This was before their Gazzari days. I remember them doing "You Really Got Me" and DLR's kicks and splits. I also remember they were playing at floor level, not on a stage.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1582
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home