Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
how to collect all official 1960,s stones releases.
Posted by: wee bobby lennox ()
Date: October 3, 2007 18:17

i am in the long proccess of doing this and finally believed ive cracked how do do it by buying the least amount of studio and compilation albums.

i was wondering who else is currently trying to get all these releases or if they already have them and what cd,s they had to buy to secure all songs.

i was already changing my stones collection from vinyl and tape over to cd format, which ive being doing for over 3 years, when i wondered how i could get every album release while buying the least amount of cd,s.

obviously i appreciate there is a lot of overlapping of numerous songs on various compilation albums which still have to be bought just to get 1 or 2 "new" songs.

after much research and deliberation i have concluded its almost impossible to work out which is the best way to decide which cd,s to buy and which to leave out and that this process could only be done by trial and error.

so after many months using a list of 60,s songs taken from the rocks off site, and after a process of elimination i have compiled a list of cd,s that i would need just to get every rolling stones song ever officially released in some format as an album either by the stones themselves or by thier record company.

the list is as follows.

studio albums(uk releases)

rolling stones
rolling stones vol 2
out of our heads
aftermath
between the buttons
thier satanic majesties request
beggers banquet
let it bleed

studio albums(us releases)

12*5
december children(and everybodies)
out of our heads
flowers

complilations

metamorphosis
more hot rocks(big hits, fazed cookies)
stone age
slow rollers
london the singles years

live albums.

got live if you want it
get your ya ya,s out
rock and roll circus.

ive added the live albums aswell cos they are official releases and will be snapped up aswell.

im quite sure, well 99% sure that once i have all these cd,s then i have every official stones release from the 60,s.

i noticed i didnt need

rolled gold
gimme shelter
solid rock
hot rocks

which i have already got in tape or vinyl format but previously worked out that if i could and did get them in cd version in the future i would still need all the rest of the cd,s that i have quoted above.

can anybody else come up with a formula where all these songs can be got by buying up less cd,s or different cd,s than i have quoted.

cheers in advance.

ps. why is the rolling stones discography so complicated and needing a higher degree in advanced mathematics to understand it.

couldnt they just have released 35 albums with 10 songs each + 3 live albums a decade to simplify things.

Re: how to collect all official 1960,s stones releases.
Posted by: Havo ()
Date: October 3, 2007 19:15

Dont think its complicated. You have to add "Fourty licks", cause of the three or four new-ones!

under the boardwalk---down by the sea

Posted by: stone-relics ()
Date: October 3, 2007 19:52

Its a lot more complicated than that. I have been doing it for decades now, and to get all the officially released versions of songs, you need a LOT of alternate LPs, singles, Promos etc...thats if you want everything. If all you want is a one version each, then its easy. A lot of these things are quite difficult to find, even if you have a LOT of Money to Spend.

1st UK LP, Alternate version of Tell Me(Different VERSION, Not the edited one)
UK ep Got Live if You Want It (completely different than US LP)
Dandelion US Promo 7", Variation 4, with edited version, unique to this single.
Child of The Moon, US STEREO 7" Promo, version is Unique to this promo
Lots of other singles different than LP counterparts....such as Time Is On My Side, etc.
Spanish Sticky Fingers, ONLY stereo version of Let IT Rock available on official release, (its MONO on Rarities) out there.
1st US Hot Rocks, Alt. / Demo Brown Sugar and Wild Horses.

MANY others, this is just off the top of my head.

JR

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-10-03 20:09 by stone-relics.

Posted by: mitch ()
Date: October 3, 2007 20:00

Very complicated.
I did the same, it was an Herculean job... but you have a coherent discography at the end.
Even in CD, you have to find the right pressings from the right country, as they didn't always use the same masters!
f.e.: the first pressing of the first album propose a unedited version of Tell Me, the first pressing of Undercover has another version of I wanna Hold You, etc...

Posted by: vancouver ()
Date: October 3, 2007 22:02

do the jigsaw puzzle ,,of decca recordings

all released songs,ca 10 hour,,,(decca)

Posted by: cc ()
Date: October 3, 2007 23:18

yeah, I think this is a sisyphean task, wee bobby. I would definitely steer clear of the "alternate master" variations (though you can hear a difference).

Date: October 3, 2007 23:24

I am STILL working on this, and have been at it forever....But it is a fun persuit....I still remember the day I got my FIRST UK 1st LP with the alternate Tell Me....Now I have FOUR OF THEM, all unique pressings, and if my thought is right, their may be a total of EIGHT different variations of this....

God help me...

KEEP ON ROCKIN'.

JR

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: October 4, 2007 02:39

Throw in Got Live EP just to get We Want The Stones! Probably the easiest songwriting credits anyone ever got.

Posted by: boston2006 ()
Date: October 4, 2007 03:10

Get 'em all . It'll cost you some cash but real appreciate it

Posted by: Ricky ()
Date: October 4, 2007 20:13

I remember that some years ago there is a faq about Stones discography that can help you on this subject, but don't work now.

Also there is another article on the web about what records "don't buy" when the SACDs were releases:
[www.lukpac.org]

I think this can help you.

Posted by: Hound Dog ()
Date: October 4, 2007 20:19

Well the newly released Singles box sets are pretty cool and a nice way to get all the singles that were released, even though they are not actually records. Would love to have the rest (1971 to today).. But trying to find all the releases over the years is pretty tough with all the different labels and if you start talking releases from various countries you can literally go on forever trying to find this stuff, especially after seeing some of the various versions of singles that Rockman posted pics of.

Date: October 4, 2007 21:16

Yes: That Box sets are needed for the Got Live EP and I read here that the rare version of Street Fightin Man is included in the last box, but I can't find any difference...,
...and yes: you can go on forever trying to find all this records... I'm going forever and is very interesting....
I know that I never going to have everything (even near...) but it's amazing.

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: October 5, 2007 17:42

What is this different version of SFM? I've not known about a different one. Please elaborate. thanks

Date: October 5, 2007 18:57

Original US 7" single of Street Fightning Man, played a completely different version than Beggars Banquet. Earlier, probably unfinished version. Its actually fairly common. I have had singles from other countries that used this incorrect version as well. Much rarer is the US orange Swirl promo 7" that has this incorrect version, as well. I just checked the singles box, and they DO use the old 7" version...listen after the second chorus, Mick clearly sings "Get It" rather than the Beggars Version, where he sings, "Get Down". I hadnt notice this....completely different version.

JR

Posted by: wee bobby lennox ()
Date: October 5, 2007 19:06

what i dont understand, how can there be many variations of one song when it would be cut from the same studio.

Date: October 5, 2007 19:31

there are many different versions of every song...This one released by mistake, which is quite common for the Stones. They just sent the wrong master tape to the pressing plant.

JR

Date: October 5, 2007 19:40

which makes for all the more confounded collecting! LOL Thanks Stone-Relics! I'll check it out tonight.

Am reading thru that hyperlink here and am wondering just how much there is that would be needed to complete an official release collection on cd - I'm guessing 1). A LOT, and 2). that much of it has not yet appeared in digital format from vinyl, correct?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2007-10-05 19:41 by VoodooLounge13.

Date: October 5, 2007 19:41

which makes for all the more confounded collecting! LOL Thanks Stone-Relics! I'll check it out tonight.

Am reading thru that hyperlink here and am wondering just how much there is that would be needed to complete an official release collection on cd - I'm guessing 1). A LOT, and 2). that much of it has not yet appeared in digital format from vinyl, correct?

Date: October 5, 2007 20:27

Yeah, some of the rarer songs are available on official CDs, but a Ton more stuff isnt.

One of these days, I'll get around to making a database of what you need to get everything. I am sure someone has done it, just not sure where to find it.

Good luck with the collecting....Been at for decades, and still trying to figure it all out.

JR

Date: October 5, 2007 21:02

Say aren't the LP replicas from the UK and Japan SACD versions? I thought these were - if not the sound difference is still amazing!!!

Date: October 5, 2007 21:47

Yes: you are right John. I CAN hear that "Get It"...
Thanks. You always give very good info.

I hope you send one day that database: I try to do it but I think I don't have many info about promo releases.

Thank you.

Posted by: donnywas ()
Date: October 6, 2007 21:18

Thanks John,

you're the man when it comes down to collecting! :-)

I did know that difference with SFM, but did you also know that in the ABKCO Remastered Series "Ruby Tuesday" is also different. I think it lacks a certain percussion in the chorus or something. Maybe you can enlighten us about that.

Thanks for all the great info,

Donny

Posted by: john r ()
Date: October 6, 2007 21:25

Unless I missed it and it's been mentioned here, only the 1989 edition of "Singles Collection" has the longer version of 'Under Assistant West Coast Promo Man'

Posted by: Rank Stranger ()
Date: October 6, 2007 21:49

Hello!
Not only is "TUAWCPM" 11 seconds longer on the old "Singles Collection", it is also the original version including the lyric "I break my ass every day" !!
This version was on the first pressings of the single back in 1965 !

Posted by: john r ()
Date: October 6, 2007 21:59

Thanks for clarifying Rank - indeed! So, one needs both unless tracking down the vinyl 45....

Date: October 8, 2007 16:04

and does collecting the official releases include promos too? I read that there was a 21 track sampler from the recent remastered series, and this sampler included some different versions (mostly stereo vs. mono) of some songs as well. This caused me to go track this sampler down, which I did, but I've not received it yet. Does anyone know any details about this as well? I see that there is a 6-track sampler too, which seems to go for a lot more money.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: October 8, 2007 17:12

All the original UK LP's are essential. I own them all, but if were start again and skip a few, they'd be the American Aftermath and Between The Buttons. A complete waste of money (unless your a nostalgic American) now the superior UK versions are out there.

Date: October 8, 2007 17:27

I have to disagree, Big Al, and I guess I might be opening myself up to further criticism here, but I find the American Aftermath to be far superior to the UK one - it is one of my all-time favorite albums of theirs with Paint It Black among others. It's killer to me.

Posted by: vox12string ()
Date: October 9, 2007 15:02

Remember, @#$%&/Schoolboy Blues was officially released by mistake by German Decca as was Tell Me Baby from the Chess sessions.

Under assistant west coast... had that line towards the end edited out, that's the only difference between the 2.

There are 3 versions of Fortune Teller I know of, one without audience overdub, the vinyl 'Got Live' LP which fades out (it was on the end of a side) & which has harmonica, & the 3rd is the CD version of Got Live, which stops dead with an edit & has no harmonica, the tambourine is a lot more prominent on the latter too.

There are 2 completely different versions of 'Under my Thumb' on the vinyl & cd versions of 'Got Live'. The vinyl has marimbas (overdubbed?) while the cd does not.

It's never ending isn't it.....

Date: October 9, 2007 15:34

Geez I don't think I'll be bringing myself to start collecting vinyl too! That would be way too much. As it is I don't have room for all the cds. Say is the spanish version of Sticky FIngers still in print? Didn't someone say that was slightly different than the other versions? Or did I imagine that? I know it's not the same decade, but same topic smiling smiley

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1659
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home