Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: WOODY
Posted by: pay pay ()
Date: September 24, 2007 15:30

J.J.Flash Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

>
> an OK player? Do you hear the same shit I hear???

Yes, I do.

This is one of my favorite subjects on this board, because it brings up a point I've had all my life: Let no one tell you how to think. I like what I like, and its totally natural for me to like what I like. No matter how much you like Pepsi, I'll always drink Coke. Same with Ronnie and Mick T. I like Ronnie better. Its not taking away from Taylor, its just an opinion.To me, Ron Wood brings many more styles to the band. Just look at his solo albums. Could you imagine MT playing Am I Grooving You? I doubt it.MT was/is great at one thing: The blues. Woody can do that too, and then play party music till the dawn of next Friday. Which one would you rather hang out with?

Posted by: ablett ()
Date: September 24, 2007 15:32

Swapping Asia albums brobably.......

Posted by: marcovandereijk ()
Date: September 24, 2007 15:46

Actually there is no need to say unkind things about Mick Taylor to defend Ron Wood. Both are great and each had their own contribution to the Stones. One of the great things about the Stones is that they last so long that we can actually enjoy different era's with different music, different players and different live shows, but still the Stones.
Let's enjoy it in all its epic greatness! 45 years of The Stones will all the successes, problems, highs, lows, not a single boring day!

Posted by: pay pay ()
Date: September 24, 2007 16:53

Well said, marcovandereijk. We should all have the same attiude, especially me.

Can't resist sometimes though.

Posted by: audun-eg ()
Date: September 25, 2007 20:36

MT is maybe a better player... technically. But spiritually, musically and "weavingly"? Well, Ronnie is still there! And Ronnie also handles other instruments that have filled out the Stones- sound. As a performer on stage there should be no discussion! Ronnie is also a better and more creative riff/rhythm player than MT (More like Keith). To be a rock'n'roller takes more than playing nice leads!

[www.reverbnation.com]

Posted by: pmk251 ()
Date: September 25, 2007 21:12

<Has anyone a strong opinion on Ronnie Wood's history in the band. Do you think he has improved or hindered or kept them the same?>

What? You like throwing a match on gasoline? I'll bite, to answer your questions:

Yes. I think you will find opinions that run the gambit. From: Woody is a great guitarist and a perfect fit who saved the band. To: Woody is a mediocre guitarist at best, a poser and a spineless sycophant.

Hindered. I do not think it is a stretch to say that songwriting-wise this is Jagger's band and that he has broad musical tastes and has attempted broad musical styles. He lost the guitarist that could help him realize his vision. There is not a guitarist in the band who can play a melody.

However, the band was already in decline before Taylor left so the blame is not all on Woody. But I believe in the long run Brussels will survive as much as anything they have released in the last 25+ years.

If I had one Stones wish it would be to hear Taylor play with the band not on the war horses, but on SG. He would make that album what it isn't... musically interesting.

Posted by: melillo ()
Date: September 25, 2007 23:45

I think that if woody was not around, steel wheels and beyond would not have happened imho

Posted by: sway5 ()
Date: October 4, 2007 00:31

WEll, I wont be asking anything on here again. I never came on throwing my weight about and pretending to know everything, nor did I ever say I hate Ron Wood. In posts so far I have been simply trying to learn from Stones fans who know more than me of which by the way, there are millions or at worst I have been playing Devil's advocate.
The point was made that nobody agreed with me. So that tells me that I am clearly wrong and need to brush up on my knowledge... simple.I hold my hands up. I wasn't trying to win any f*cking trophies or medals, I was simply adding a topic.

As for our "crying in the dust" character.I know it sounds strange but maybe some of us are new and have not digested every single thread ever and are unaware it has been done before!
If it sends you into such despair why bother replying??

Good old 'pay pay' asks 'who am I to decide what's classic or not?' erm... they are called opinion's mate. While we are in the playground what the hell gives you the right to decide what;s classic, good, bad or indeed anything?
I wasn't aware you needed permission to have an opinion, I thought you were entitled to them whether you agree or not.

I apologize to most of you but I wasn't expecting to get abuse on a Stones forum, not unless I had been offensive myself that is.
Seems these internet forums are a breeding ground for the bullied at school, had their dinner money nicked, no good at sport mob who have now grown into pretentious pricks, who support the football club of a city they have never been to. I'm some of you are fine but as ever, the the keyboard big man ruins it!

Sad pricks!

Posted by: m1cawber ()
Date: October 4, 2007 03:51

When it comes down to it Ronnie came out of the same mould....where as MT came from a completelely different one...not a case of better or worse!

Posted by: kish_stoned ()
Date: October 4, 2007 12:11

HEY guys,as long as we have mick,keith and charlie,stones will rolling.
so just keep rocking.

Posted by: Adrian-L ()
Date: October 4, 2007 13:34

Sway5, please stick around

Date: October 4, 2007 14:17

<He would make that album what it isn't... musically interesting.>

What!? What is musically interesting to you?

To me, Miss You, Beast Of Burden, Far Away Eyes and Before You Make Me Run are songs that musically top notch written - timeless classics! The rest of the songs are rockers with punk-ish attitude, songs that saved the stones at the top of their game, in a time where music changed rapidly.

IMO, this album, and especially the mixture of songs, is a masterpiece. I'm sure I will listen to it just as much the next 20 years as I have done the previous 20 years...

Posted by: OpenG ()
Date: October 4, 2007 14:44

This perception that MT could not play on SG is bullshit.Taylor proved he could enrich jagger/rcihards compositions and went from playing 12 bar blues with mayall to playing:

blues,country,rock and reggae with the stones at the highest level. This bullshit that Taylor can,t groove well he played on Drift Away and on Tops and if is rhythm was so terrible why did the glimmers keep is rhythm on waiting on a friend. What SG lacks is melody and Taylor's stamp on those songs. Two similiar guitarists that are rhythm players throwing in muted riffs along the way is boring to my ears. yeah the punk movement saved richards and woods from coming up with interesting guitar lines since they are stuck playing the same shit up and down the fretboard. Open tunings and using a capo saved Keith all these years and gave him his sound and style that he could not do in concert tuning since he is technically limited as a player and what he could procduce and Woody trailing along on keith's shoulders.

Date: October 4, 2007 15:52

Of course, Taylor could have played on Some Girls. And he would have done a great job too.

To say SG lacks melody and Taylor's stamp is stretching it a bit too far IMO. It's a great and diversified record with punkish rock songs, funk/disco (Miss you)with a hum-along melody, beautiful pop ballads (Beast of burden), pop/rock with catchy hooks and choruses (BTMMR) and trailer country with a chorus to die for (Far Away Eyes).

Alan, do you really mean that there is only rhythm guitar players on Lies, Beast Of Burden, When The Whip Comes Down, Some Girls, Before They Make Me Run and Respectable? Similar guitar players? Do you think Keith could have played the stuff on Far Away Eyes, Beast Of Burden and Before They Make Me Run. It's not his style at all... We agree to differ, but right should be right smiling smiley

Posted by: ablett ()
Date: October 4, 2007 15:59

Sod me if this thread aint turning into the usual MT mantra......

Posted by: OpenG ()
Date: October 4, 2007 20:27

DP,

Keith and Woody are rhythm players and thats what I meant in general terms. Ron Woods greatest contribitions IMO was in the studio and not playing live.

I wish sometimes musicians like yourself and others here you front a band would see through the mirrors and gimmicks and he honest with the live guitar playing .IMO the stones had their 20 year run from 62 to 82 and were done playing their instruments live . They choose to pose and live off their greatest body of work. What gets me is Keith always says in the guitar interviews that the stones have not reached their peak as musicians thats so much bullshit - Keith and Woody reached their self actualization as guitar players in 70's and did nothing to improve their techniques as players.Playing in open tunings and with capos can only take you so far as a player and limits you in what you can play. Yes it gave keith a sound and style and that was it.

play that guitar boy

Posted by: guitarbastard ()
Date: October 4, 2007 20:35

lovely discussion! ;-)
the best stones records were shurely not recorded with ronnie. SF, EOMS: you just cant beat that!
Mick taylor is and was and outstanding guitarplayer and musician. his sense for melodies and tone are unique. he's got a fantastic ear and lots of feeling.
ronnie is not an outstanding guitarplayer, but probably the best guy to fit that band!

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1544
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home