Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4
Re: Bob Dylan CDs- Where do I start?
Posted by: Svartmer ()
Date: September 22, 2007 22:15

I recorded this from Swedish radio. A cover of Slow Train Coming with a group called Valdemar. Good stuff.

[www.sendspace.com]

Posted by: bluesinc. ()
Date: September 22, 2007 22:43

trust me my friend, start with the first album and go on untill the last one. Buy yourself a few books and read them start with scaduto, let williams follow, then heylin and end with cronicles. that´s it. it will take you a long time to get through and it will change your life. and in the end you won´t be the same as you are now. i´m really jealous...

Posted by: doubledoor ()
Date: September 22, 2007 23:05

It is hard, with all the work and periods he has. I would say buy the bootleg box set. First cd will sum up early acoustic folk period, three more cds show his range and raw songwriting skills, some like Idiot wind, are better than the polished version on Blood on Tracks.

Posted by: Justin ()
Date: September 24, 2007 18:48

Yesterday, I bought

Blonde on Blonde
Highway 61 Revisted
Blood on the tracks
Modern Times

and the journey will begin today!

Posted by: bob r ()
Date: September 24, 2007 19:06

My personal favorites and the ones I'd get would be:

Blood on the Tracks

Nashville Skyline

Love and Theft

Freewheelin

Greatest Hits Vol 2

My Dylan Guilty pleasures:

Self Portrait
Good as I've Been to You

Posted by: Glam Descendant ()
Date: September 25, 2007 10:35

>My Dylan Guilty pleasures:

>Self Portrait
>Good as I've Been to You

Why is the latter a "guilty pleasure"? It was warmly embraced by fans & critics upon its release (and ever since afaik).

Posted by: terraplane ()
Date: September 25, 2007 12:05

Three essential:
Blonde On Blonde
Bringing It All Back Home
Highway 61 Revisited

Then either Blood On The Tracks or Infidels (preferably both)

Posted by: jomo297 ()
Date: September 25, 2007 12:53

Wow. What a loaded question. I mean it's tough not to say "Buy 'em all," because Dylan has had so many phases. For me it was Blood On The Tracks. My favorite Dylan track has always been "Tangled Up In Blue." So to follow that with "Simple Twist of Fate." Awesome transition. Then "You're a big girl now." So far, so seemless. Then "Idiot Wind" comes in and disrupts a bit. This song has alwasy been the one that I said, "If you leave it alone with your daughter she'll either be pregnant or join a monestary." I could be worng. With Dylan it's tough. The CD is an amazing conglomoration off Folk goodness. It's a must own. For me, "Tangled Up In Blue" Is the best of Dylan. If I could only hear one song, it would be this.

That being said,

Highway 61 Revisited needs to be owned. Lots of electic guitars. Queen Jane Approximately makes it worth the money. But you also get Like A Rolling Stone and the title track. And It Takes A Lot to Laugh, It Takes A Train To Cry. Throw in Just Like Tom Thumbs Blues and end it with Desolation Row and you've got a pretty solid album.

Blonde on Blonde is so chock full of goodness it should have it's own category. Rainy Day Women--C'mon, that song is great on so many levels. Visions of Johanna, I Want You, and Stuck Inside of Memphis With The Mobile Blues Again. So solid. But that's not all. You've also got "Just Like A Woman" and "Most Likely You Go Your Way And I'll Go Mine."

And for the more folksy of us, "The Freewheelin' Bob Dylan is essential. "Blowing In The Wind," "Girl of The North Country" and the ironically relevent "Masters of War." Add in "Don't Think Twice, It's Alright," and "A Hard Rain's Gonna Fall" and you have a solid CD. Oh and I didn't mention 8 more songs on this disc.

And then there is "Bringin' It All Back Home." "Subterranean Homesick Blues." 'Nuff said. Add in "Maggies Farm," "She Belongs To Me," and "Love Minus Zero" and you've got your money's worth. However, this disc also contains,"It's Alright Ma, I'm Only Bleeding," "It's All Over Now Baby Blue,", and "Mr. Tambourine Man."

I could go on and on. Definitely pick these up. But then grab any others there. Hit up a used CD shop. You'll be able to afford more to sample.

Posted by: sam ()
Date: September 25, 2007 16:55

"I would like to start getting into Dylan but have no idea where to start."

It's like getting in a labirynt and it's dangerous. You need time. Grab one album listen it a hundred time, listen to another one from the same or other period.
Please don't get involve in bootlegs too soon, you won't survive, it is so vast that it will disgust you.

It is not mentioned in the previous posts but i would go for Planet Wave which is a transition album quite listenable for a non dylan fan. And Live 66 also a turning point in Dylan style is (for me) totally orgasmic.

Posted by: kovach ()
Date: September 25, 2007 17:47

My first thought was the 3 CD 'Biograph' set, although for starters, that may contain too many rarities. That new 3 CD set called simply 'Dylan' looks like a great place to start for beginners, and if you want to delve into some rarities, start with the 1st Bootleg set (vol. 1-3).

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: September 25, 2007 17:54

F**k it - just buy them all. Its a great voyage of discovery.

..and theres dozens of fabulous books on Dylan too. Buy them as well as a 'guide'.

Posted by: Adrian-L ()
Date: September 25, 2007 18:00

poor old Justin
you're all goin to bankrupt him , lol

Posted by: donvito27 ()
Date: September 25, 2007 18:23

well i discovered Bob like 12 years ago and im still in path of exploring his music...so u have a long way ahead of u, long and exciting way! important is that u start and let yourself discover beauty of Dylans works and u will be blown away sooner or later. my first album was Shot of love and from that day im still researching and enenjoying like the first time i have heared his voice smiling smiley dont think too much just go out there and pick the first album u see smiling smiley

Posted by: oldkr ()
Date: September 25, 2007 18:36

i love dylans albums (not live tho-not to my taste) I was raised on them along with the stones. He is quite simply the most powerful lyricist we will see in our lifetimes.

I love "the 4 classics" (yes I'm a desire and a portrait fan) but his last few albums have been just incredible.

OLDKR

Posted by: Rev. Robert W. ()
Date: September 25, 2007 19:29

Justin Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Yesterday, I bought
>
> Blonde on Blonde
> Highway 61 Revisted
> Blood on the tracks
> Modern Times
>
> and the journey will begin today!

Congratulations! All great choices and a nice span of Dylan's various periods. Now, just to mess you up a little, let me add four to that list:

"The Freewheelin' Bob Dylan" The first masterpiece and an incredible look at the "folkie" Dylan.

I would have actually suggested "Bringing It All Back Home" over "Blonde on Blonde," but the latter, along with "Highway 61" gives you a pretty good look at the 60's "rocker" Dylan. It is now essential that you flesh out the story with "Live 1966," arguably the greatest live album ever (with all due respect to "Ya-Ya's").

"The Basement Tapes" Amazing, cryptic country-folk-blues-r'n'r recordings made with the Band in 1967. Bizarre and totally addictive and brilliant.

"World Gone Wrong" A dark horse. Solo acoustic blues album from '93. The launching pad for the 90's-2000's "comeback."

Posted by: Hound Dog ()
Date: September 25, 2007 20:53

Interesting thread, although I have most of Bob's cds its interesting to hear people opinions on them. I always had a handful of Dylan's record but Time Out of Mind blew me out of the water and really made me dig into his catelog of music. I feel like Modern Times pales in comparison to Time out of Mind, not to say its bad but for me it doesn't reach that level.

One thing is why are there no good concert films from Dylan, yeah there is Unplugged which is great and than the dvd of him with Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers but nothing else?? All those documentries don't have complete songs. Imagine of dvd of the famous 1966 show, half acoustic and half electric... to this day that is one of my favorite Dylan cds.

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: September 25, 2007 21:03

Hound Dog Wrote:
> One thing is why are there no good concert films
> from Dylan, yeah there is Unplugged which is great
> and than the dvd of him with Tom Petty and the
> Heartbreakers but nothing else?? All those
> documentries don't have complete songs. Imagine of
> dvd of the famous 1966 show, half acoustic and
> half electric... to this day that is one of my
> favorite Dylan cds.

Yes that's true - we're missing a good live film.
It's strange that he hasn't released the Hard Rain 76 concert - it's one of the best live footage ever made, and it's available in perfect quality in the vaults. It was aired on Japanese TV a few years ago - but still hasn't been released.
Unplugged is quite a dull performance IMO. "Hard To Handle".....awful year, but those 2 Sydney concerts that were used are really really good - and luckily he edited out the stinkers - oh I like that video.
I'm hoping that the next installment from the "Bootleg Series" will be a DVD - instead of a CD - and hopefully something from the 70s.

Date: September 25, 2007 21:21

Hound Dog Wrote:
> Interesting thread, although I have most of Bob's
> cds its interesting to hear people opinions on
> them. I always had a handful of Dylan's record but
> Time Out of Mind blew me out of the water and
> really made me dig into his catelog of music. I
> feel like Modern Times pales in comparison to Time
> out of Mind, not to say its bad but for me it
> doesn't reach that level.
>
> One thing is why are there no good concert films
> from Dylan, yeah there is Unplugged which is great
> and than the dvd of him with Tom Petty and the
> Heartbreakers but nothing else?? All those
> documentries don't have complete songs. Imagine of
> dvd of the famous 1966 show, half acoustic and
> half electric... to this day that is one of my
> favorite Dylan cds.

Well, concert videos were a novelty prior to the mid 80s and the only two that have been commercially released were "Hard To handle" (Sydney '86 with petty) and MTv Unplugged (NYC 1994), both of which were taped for TV.

Bob hasnt really expressed much interest in going through his video back pages like he has with the audio material - with the exception of course of the documentaries (and theres another one out next month which rounds up his performances at the three Newport Folk Gestivals from 1963-65, so theres some complete songs on there)

The thing to remember is that Dylan never really did much in the way of TV appearances for most of his career, and aside from the two shows mentioned above the only other "in concert" TV special he's done was 'Hard Rain' (Fort Collins, Co. ,1976), which while it looks a bit archaic by todays standards in the way it was shot, is absolutely compelling viewing, and for me, one of THE most essential Dylan performances ever. He actually did an in concert special for the BBC in 1965 which was broadcast in two parts - but the BBC ,in their infinite wisdom, later wiped the tape.

He's also never released "Renaldo and Clara" officially - the film of the 1975 Rolling Thunder Revue tour. Theres plenty of complete songs on that by both Dylan and his band, although as the film clocks in at an arse-numbing 235 minutes, there would absolutely need to be, and its mixed in with a lot of improvised, symbolism-drenched scenes that while they have their moments are probably over the head of most people.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-09-25 21:23 by Gazza.

Date: September 25, 2007 21:27

Gazza Wrote:
> ...was 'Hard Rain'(.....) is absolutely
> compelling viewing, and for me, one of THE most
> essential Dylan performances ever.

Yes, for me as well

Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: September 25, 2007 22:21

Gazza, Erik, et al,

Would love to know your thoughts on Dylan's most powerful live concerts in UK and Europe through the years. Realize you were in swaddling clothes first time he came to UK.

Assume you've also seen a few shows where Bob was not up for the gig.

Date: September 25, 2007 22:38

I most certainly have.

First tour I saw was '84. two shows in Newcastle and Slane, both very good.

Worst period - 1990-93 (although the Hammersmith Feb'90 shows were excellent - the decline started later that year, with 1991 being the utter nadir). I didnt like the '87 tour with Petty at the time, but on listening to the shows again years later, theyre not bad.

1994 saw him gradually returning to form, with the 1995 shows (when he spent half the show just singing without a guitar) being absolutely brilliant.

1998 was one of the best UK tours Ive seen, although the cream for me - of the tours I've personally witnessed - was the tour he did in September/October 2000 -I saw four of those shows, two in Dublin (one in a club) and two at a theatre in Portsmouth, one of which got the first European performance of 'Visions of Johanna' since '66.

Theyve been consistent enough over the last few years, with the November 2005 shows being really great - although as an individual show the gig at the Barrowland Ballroom in Glasgow in june 2004 was as good as Ive ever seen him.

Best ever? For me (although I wasnt there) the summer 1978 shows he did when Street Legal came out. 6 incredible nights at Earls Court, five in Paris, about 20 shows in all and a finale at Blackbushe in front of a crowd of 200,000 and the longest set of his career. His first proper European tour since the historic '66 shows (nothing needs to be said about those!).

the '81 gospel tour was greatly underrated too. There were some fantastic shows in Europe that summer.

Date: September 25, 2007 22:43

Stonesrule, I think Gazza is the man to ask for Bob concerts that wasn't up to par.
I didn't get to see him before 1996, and that was the year where he really got himself together...which he has continued to do. After that I've seen about 1 concert a year. I've enjoyed each and everyone of them. The only times I've left disappointed was when the sound was real poor - due to a bad venue.

Judgning by the recordings, the finest European concerts he ever did was in 1978. One of the best tours by any artist IMO
But it's quite something...that the later European tours - 1998 - 2002, especially, have such a power - one couldn't expect by a guy who has been performing for 40 years.

Posted by: Justin ()
Date: September 25, 2007 22:47

First Impressions..."A bit of a bumpy ride".

I took off for my Dylan journey on Monday morning. I thought it was an easy route...but yet in its simplicity I got lost. The directions were clear and the road was long and easy but I still got lost....

Started with "Highway 61 Revisted" and it seemed like I knew what I was doing. The CD played while here at work. It wasn't long when I realized that work was the wrong environment to listen to Dylan. Don't get me wrong, I'm not working at a factory or anything and doing strenuous labor...I'm at a desk in front of a computer. I usually put a CD on and let the tunes roll. So, it's not like the music is completely lost. I very much pay attention. But then again...what do I usually listen to at work?

Stones...BB King...Beatles...Paul Simon...etc etc...

I realized that two or three songs into it that Dylan needed and deserved my undivided attention. It couldn't just be in the background even though you promise to give him 98% of your attention. He needs 100%.

The lyrics, the stories, the imagery and the emotion I can tell--are too overwhelming. It's hard your brain to think that way, you know? No offense to the Stones but...there isn't really much THINKING involved when Brown Sugar is playing you know? You listen for the groove..the licks..the solos and riffs.

On the surface...the simple SOUND of Dylan's stuff, from what I heard, was good. Nice arrangements and good sound. For a moment, I thought: "Wait, is that it?" "Did I miss something?" Naturally, I decided that I should maybe look into the lyrics more.

Going on bobdylan.com and going under the lyrics section was a very interesting step. I followed along the lyrics to "Leopard Skin Pill Box Hat" (I now moved on to Blonde on Blonde) and found myself laughing at the great lyrics. Most definitely would not have caught all that without reading the lyrics while listening. "Most Likely You Go Your Way.." was another one I really liked.

But I feel those are "easy" songs to get...and I'm sort of still waiting for that Dylan-epiphany that everyone here seems to have gotten. I feel like I have to train my brain and ears to listen to Dylan in a specific way and style. Did anyone find this to be true for them? Did you ease into Dylan easily?

I feel like a kid who's just got his training wheels taken of his bike. I'm weary and afraid that I might not know how to ride it like this. It's a new style...a function that your brain has to adapt to.

I'm now on Blood On the Tracks. I prefer the mix and the feel of this album so far. I've decided that I'm giving the albums each one run through and then I'll go back and let the material settle in my head by playing them all over again. I'm very worried of a Dylan burnout in the future so I'm hoping to pace myself and maintain my energy and curiosity for Dylan.

The journey continues..........

Posted by: Hound Dog ()
Date: September 25, 2007 22:50

Going to see him on Sunday in Connecticut. Anyone know off the top of their head what video the clip of Dylan singing with some sort of turbin on his head is from? Is this from the Colorado 1976 one mentioned above. Weird that there are so many tour documentries and other things like that out there but you only get a few full songs on them.

Posted by: adotulipson ()
Date: September 25, 2007 23:34

Justin Wrote:
> Yesterday, I bought
>
> Blonde on Blonde
> Highway 61 Revisted
> Blood on the tracks
> Modern Times
>
> and the journey will begin today!

great choice,all fantastic albums ,couldn't have recomended any particular album to you because as you can see by this thread opinions vary greatly, so to choose those 4 is very astute.
Blonde on Blonde is my favourite , Blood was his first on columbia after his time with arista, and what a way to return,Highway 61 is almost legendary and Modern Times is one of my favourite albums from last year.congratulations on making such a good choice.
Next ? Desire,Strret Legal,Bringing it all back Home.

Posted by: LOGIE ()
Date: September 26, 2007 00:12

For the early stuff, you HAVE to get yourself a copy of Freewheelin'.

Love and Theft is a must-own album as well.

Date: September 26, 2007 00:24

Hound Dog Wrote:
> Going to see him on Sunday in Connecticut. Anyone
> know off the top of their head what video the clip
> of Dylan singing with some sort of turbin on his
> head is from? Is this from the Colorado 1976 one
> mentioned above.

If its this one

Yeah, thats from 'Hard Rain'.

There was an earlier 'Hard Rain' TV special a month previously in Clearwater, Fl. which was never broadcast but which is also in circulation. Note snappier choice of headgear -

Posted by: Lukester ()
Date: September 26, 2007 00:37

Justin, I didn't fall in love with Dylan immediately......and I didn't set out to love him either, it just happened over time. I guess my appreciation for his music really gained momentum when I started writing poetry.

Perhaps my favorite album by any artist is Blood On The Tracks.

Posted by: Glam Descendant ()
Date: September 26, 2007 01:24

>a finale at Blackbushe in front of a crowd of 200,000 and the longest set of his career.

You mean up to that point or ever? I thought his show at Toad's Place in 1990 held the record (close to 4 hours as I recall).

Posted by: No Expectations ()
Date: September 26, 2007 01:41

Blood on the tracks
Blonde on Blonde
Highway 61 Revisited
and Live at the Gaslight

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2002
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home