Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4
Re: Disappointment with Sunday's set list
Posted by: noughties ()
Date: August 28, 2007 19:23

What`s so great about hearing almost the same setlist time after time? I don`t get it.

Posted by: svendborg ()
Date: August 28, 2007 19:24

Well people, if you didn't go to 3, 5, 10 or 20 shows on same tour, you would have less to complain about. No wonder you get bored when you see the same show night after night. BUT that's not why they're touring, pleasing people travelling all over the World to see. That's your problem ;-)
I saw them twice on this tour, 11 months apart and saw 2 quite different setlists and had it been the same, so what the f*** it still would have been great.
I would never ever go to a large number of shows on the same tour, it's not worth the money and it gets boring after awhile I would think.

Date: August 28, 2007 19:32

Perhaps a typical set list implies they will typically tour again?
Could be a good sign.
As I always say, a predictable setlist is better than no setlist at all.

Posted by: The Stones ()
Date: August 28, 2007 19:32

"I would never ever go to a large number of shows on the same tour, it's not worth the money and it gets boring after awhile I would think".

I suppose BV and Dean Goodman would not agree with that statement......

Re: The Rolling Stones
Posted by: J-J-Flash ()
Date: August 28, 2007 19:34

with sssoul Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> i really recommend you go immerse yourself in a
> series - any series - of three 70s arena-show
> bootlegs in a row -
> you'll cheer up right away
>

Is a show today really the same as a show from the 70s, no way, those songs were very fresh back than and different what they had done the previous tour. And they were NOT calculated down to the second to make sure the lighting show was ok. Today they sound like they are sick of playing many songs.

> >> I am going to save my money <<
>
> good

If you are going to disagree with me at least make a point instead of just being an arse. I love the Stones but won't defend everything they do cause they are the Stones.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-08-28 19:40 by J-J-Flash.

Date: August 28, 2007 19:35

The Stones Wrote:

> I suppose BV and Dean Goodman would not agree with
> that statement......

Suppose they would :-)

Date: August 28, 2007 19:39

I went to shows spaced 6 to 8 months apart and the setlists were 40% different...but if you goa consecutive nights, the setlist may change by only 2 or 3 songs.
Check out the archives and you'll see the differences. Compare opening night setlist, to the finale at O2 and a few in between. Not the same. The Who is great but they don't mix up their setlist nearly as much as the Stones.

Posted by: llargueras ()
Date: August 28, 2007 19:40

When Keith is signing I wanna hold you in all the 31 european shows.
When Keith is signing You got the silver and I wanna hold you 23 of the 31 shows, practicaly the 23 times in a row.
When in the last 12 shows, after the introductions, we have the same ten songs, let me permit to tell you that YES, i'm disappointed.

Posted by: Dan ()
Date: August 28, 2007 19:50

Hound Dog Wrote:
> When people say things like "don't go to the
> shows" after someone expresses a concern about the
> set lists being always the same I think they are
> missing the point of why people are on this board
> and bitch about the set lists so much.
>
> Personally, I have a lot of friends who are music
> lovers and they make fun of the Stones to me cause
> they always play the same songs, and my friends
> have seen them a good amount of times. So I find
> myself having to constantly stick up for the
> Stones and why they always play the same hits. I
> used to say, well when they play stadiums they
> have to please everyone. Then my friends go see
> them at a smaller venue, and same songs again...
> So it gets tough to defend them... and I am the
> biggest Stones fan my friends know.

I never feel the need to defend my music choices to my friends.

But having heard the boot, I am just glad they played whatever they chose to play much better than they were playing those same songs toward the beginning of the tour. Personally I have no problem with their setlist choices for any of the London shows.

Date: August 28, 2007 19:55

2 Shows 11 months apart. Would like to think that these 2 ABB shows were quite different:

2006 Horsens:

Jumping Jack Flash
It's Only Rock'n Roll
Oh No Not You Again
Bitch
Sway
Streets Of Love
Midnight Rambler
Tumbling Dice
--- Introductions
Slipping Away (Keith)
Before They Make Me Run (Keith)
Miss You (to B-stage)
Rough Justice
Start Me Up
Honky Tonk Women (to main stage)
Sympathy For The Devil
Paint It Black
Brown Sugar
You Can't Always Get What You Want (encore)
Satisfaction (encore)

2007 Coenhagen:

Start Me Up
You Got Me Rocking
Rough Justice
Rocks Off
Dead Flowers
Ruby Tuesday
Can't You Hear Me Knocking
I'll Go Crazy
Tumbling Dice
--- Introductions
You Got The Silver (Keith)
I Wanna Hold You (Keith)
Miss You (to B-stage)
It's Only Rock'n Roll (B-stage)
Satisfaction (B-stage)
Honky Tonk Women (to main stage)
Sympathy For The Devil
Paint It Black
Jumping Jack Flash
Brown Sugar (encore)

My point is. If you're so disappointed, don't go to a great number of shows each year. They DO change the setlists over time :-)

Posted by: J-J-Flash ()
Date: August 28, 2007 20:06

Well maybe I have just gotten unlucky. People say go see them play consecutive nights at the same venue and you have a better chance in hearing different songs. Did that but didn't happen. Also I went to the opening nights of both Lick and ABB, only a few different songs. Than a week later in an arena. Same deal.

I have turned many people onto the Stones over the years. Just hope they don't go to more than one show thinking they;ll hear some variety. But many here seem to be happy hearing Miss YOu and YGMR every night and tour. Which is great if that's your thing. I just enjoy almost all the songs they have put out over the years and would like to hear more of them live.

Posted by: Harm ()
Date: August 28, 2007 20:07

Maybe the next tour they should tell the setlist when the tickets go on sale for that show.
Brussels: 1.-2: Same 3. Paint it black...4-16:same 200€
Amsterdam: 1-2:same 3. Out of control 4_16:same 200€
Berlin: 1-2: same 3.Shine a light (I'm goin to this gig smiling smiley 4-16: same 220 €

Posted by: WMiller ()
Date: August 28, 2007 20:23

Harm Wrote:
> Maybe the next tour they should tell the setlist
> when the tickets go on sale for that show.
> Brussels: 1.-2: Same 3. Paint it black...4-16:same
> 200€
> Amsterdam: 1-2:same 3. Out of control 4_16:same
> 200€
> Berlin: 1-2: same 3.Shine a light (I'm goin to
> this gig smiling smiley 4-16: same 220 €

Harm - You may have just given their marketing machine a good idea. They can add real rarities to some gigs and charge a premium price. smiling smiley

Posted by: Harm ()
Date: August 28, 2007 20:26

WMiller Wrote:
>
>
> Harm - You may have just given their marketing
> machine a good idea. They can add real rarities
> to some gigs and charge a premium price. smiling smiley

Nr3. Ventilator Blues: tickets 400€. Sorry but we have to practise more for this

Posted by: rebelrebel ()
Date: August 28, 2007 21:42

I haven't read all this thread but anyway, yes, I was disappointed. Still a great show but the least great of the three for me.

I honestly didn't go expecting any major shake up but when the opening three songs were exactly the same as Tuesday's I felt a little let down. Of course it was always going to open with SMU but are YGMR and RJ indispensable warhorses? Of course not and Live With Me and ONNYA (for example) could easily have replaced them. Then they could have dropped Miss You going out to the B stage and done IORR and It's All Over Now next. These changes would have brought six fresh songs that had not been done on a previous night, (as they did Thursday), and it's not asking for anything radical that's not been done on this leg of the tour.

Look at the setlists for the first 3 gigs in Europe excluding IOW. That's Werchter, Nijmegen and Frankfurt and see what they could have done at the O2.

Re: The Rolling Stones
Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: August 28, 2007 22:30

>> Is a show today really the same as a show from the 70s <<

did someone say it was? immersing yourselves in something that grooves you just seems like
a way more enlightening pastime than fretting over the setlists of a tour that's now over.

>> If you are going to disagree with me at least make a point instead of just being an arse. <<

LoFL - but i'm agreeing with you! saving your money sounds like the best plan, based on what you wrote.

>> I love the Stones but won't defend everything they do <<

same here, dear - but it wasn't the Stones who said there would be a sudden spurt of setlist variety at the London shows,
or suggested that anyone should attend more than one of them. the two i was at were great shows;
i personally was happy there were no "special guests"; and since my view of setlists can't possibly interest anyone but me,
i'll just say there were a couple of numbers i was real glad not to hear. :E

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2007-08-28 23:23 by with sssoul.

Posted by: Limbostone ()
Date: August 28, 2007 22:33

I'm sorry to say I'm glad I didn't go there (although meeting you guys down the pub would have been a ball I'm sure!). Imagine you go there thinking after every song: "Oh, now they're surely gonna do something of a surprise", only to be disappointed some 15 times, until it's final bows and there's not another chance.

I for one am glad I decided on showday to go to Nijmegen with IORR to the b, It's all over now and some others that were hardly played again. I think rebelrebel is spot on with his remarks on some easy yet effective possible changes.

From the fact that they rehearsed a huge list in Vilvoorde and Chuck's remarks about the lack of variety in the set (due to "underplayed markets", I guess Mick fooled him on that), which gets to annoy some band members, it's clear that they certainly had some potential for doing the odd switch. You're as blind as a mole when you don't see that fans expect something special from a) a smaller venue, b) a third show, c) the last of the tour.

Oddly, Chuck never mentions rehearsal sessions in between shows, other than for a song or two on showday. They only should have done some re-rehearsing! Correct me if I'm wrong, but I (along with those 'superficial' fans who happen to have seen the Stones more than once, I imagine) am left with the feeling the Stones are too damn lazy to invest at least one of the days in between shows do some serious rehearsing.

A pity. ANyway, one of the reasons I go is to see the huge stage, the spectacle, the crowd, the thrill. And that's something that never lets you down (in a stadium that is...).

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: August 28, 2007 22:37

I for once, wasn't disappointed or surprised of the lack of 'rarities'
as I didn't expect any jawdroppers in the first place.
But - as She Was Hot worked so well, and since Beast of Burden and Shine A Light were the highlights of the other 2 London shows....all 'pretty rare' songs - it's a bit strange that Stones didn't do more of them rarities.....it's not like they fail to get through such ones, when they're fully focused as they were in London.

Posted by: leteyer ()
Date: August 28, 2007 22:58

I've been going to concerts since 1974 and every single time, I mean every single time, it does not matter which artist it was I had always hoped for a few different songs other than the ones played that night. I've always had prefered one song over an other, and ofcourse this was the case Sunday and Thursay but that said I just had the most wonderful time in London this past week.

Posted by: bigbang ()
Date: August 28, 2007 23:04

svendborg Wrote:
> Well people, if you didn't go to 3, 5, 10 or 20
> shows on same tour, you would have less to
> complain about. No wonder you get bored when you
> see the same show night after night. BUT that's
> not why they're touring, pleasing people
> travelling all over the World to see. That's your
> problem ;-)
> I saw them twice on this tour, 11 months apart and
> saw 2 quite different setlists and had it been the
> same, so what the f*** it still would have been
> great.
> I would never ever go to a large number of shows
> on the same tour, it's not worth the money and it
> gets boring after awhile I would think.

Ah, a voice of reason. I've said essentially the same thing myself here. If EVERYONE went to ONE SHOW, period, all the setlist bitching would stop, and I bet there'd be lower ticket prices and smaller venues, as well, depending on how many of these obsessed people are actually out there. winking smiley

And the queen is bravely shouting,
"What the hell is going on?"

Date: August 28, 2007 23:21

bigbang Wrote:
>
> Ah, a voice of reason. I've said essentially the
> same thing myself here. If EVERYONE went to ONE
> SHOW, period, all the setlist bitching would stop,
> and I bet there'd be lower ticket prices and
> smaller venues, as well, depending on how many of
> these obsessed people are actually out there. winking smiley

Well...the guys on stage has to be at all shows...

Posted by: Lukester ()
Date: August 28, 2007 23:28

Erik_Snow Wrote:
> Well...the guys on stage has to be at all shows...

ah, another voice of reason

Posted by: The Stones ()
Date: August 28, 2007 23:30

"If EVERYONE went to ONE SHOW, period, all the setlist bitching would stop"

Now that's an interesting idea. Perhaps it would work when it comes to Stones gigs, but I would not want to go to only one show with Dylan or Springsteen
The reason is evidently that both The Boss and Bobster don't feel obliged to play warhorses only because they're scared that their audiences can't handle a few surprises and variety regarding setlists on a regular basis.

Date: August 28, 2007 23:35

Lukester Wrote:
> Erik_Snow Wrote:
> > Well...the guys on stage has to be at all
> shows...
>
> ah, another voice of reason

Ah thanks Lukester...
I meant that, if mr #319 and ms #820 wanted to hear a specific song or if they got the same setlist as their last show...then it's really noones problem but their own....and their disappointment in the concert... Other people might like it.

The strange thing, is that the guys in Rolling Stones has to live with these setlists night after night....of course they change it a bit...but it's strange they don't stir it up more - but if they're happy with it, then it must be because they dig it, or....maybe there's a different way to explain it, I don't know

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2007-08-29 02:10 by Erik_Snow.

Posted by: Hanns Rainsch ()
Date: August 29, 2007 00:29

I really can't understand the setlist policy of the Euro 2007 leg.
It start off well with Shattered, She Was Hot, It's All Over Now, Heartbreaker, Some Girls, Sweet Virginia, Love In Vain, Waiting On A Friend and every single one disappeared after the first few weeks of the tour.
Then we got even more IORRs, Miss Yous and YGMRs.
How can anybody defend such an unartistic, lazy, crappy, shitty style of song choice, I mean they have 400 songs to choose and play mostly stuff that's been performed hundreds of times since the 1989 tour.´
The tour would have left a lot of space for 19th Nervous Breakdown (rehearsed for B-stage), I Got The Blues, Out Of Time, I'm Free, She Saw Me Coming...
Wasted opportunities all over.

Posted by: CousinC ()
Date: August 29, 2007 01:43

Absolutely right !!!

So many chances to give that little extra-kick to your fans.
And to satisfy yourself as a musician!

Posted by: drbryant ()
Date: August 29, 2007 02:45

Sunday's set list was disappointing only because the rotating tracks were a little unambitious (ATPTB, She Was Hot, YCAGWYW, CYHMK), and it was hard for them to top Thursday, with Shine a Light and a scorching Rambler.

When they tour again in 08, I would not expect anything different. 3-4 rotating tracks.

Posted by: Promoman ()
Date: August 29, 2007 02:51

As long as there are shows there are setlist whiners.

On Sunday I loved
Rough Justice
Ain't to proud to beg
She was hot
Cant always get
Can't you hear me knocking
You got the silver
Paint it black

At he start of the ABB tour I kept statistics but stopped after 50 odd shows.
By then they already played over 50 different songs.

Don't forget that the venue will hold a few hundred of us fanatics looking for gems, but there is always a large portion of the crowd that doesn't go to every single show and they want to hear some of the hits played.

Posted by: llargueras ()
Date: August 29, 2007 03:48

In another topic "ABB songs in ABB tour" people dislike this situation.
Please check ABB songs played in the european 2007 shows and the figures are......incredible. Yes it's true that Rough justice appeared almost in every show but after...none (I was lucky and got the opportunity to listen Streets of love in Barcelona).

No questions about our loyalty to the band. No doubt, all of us love the Stones and for this reason and before they were closing the ABB tour last sunday, we already were arguing about the next tour,(roumours and gossips, of course).

I think the Stones should improve things that from my point of view lose a little bit its value.
I think the Stones should take in consideration the new stone fans generations. They may not be listening the same 19 songs every night. The Stones aren't Satisfaction, Brown Sugar and a few songs more. It's tremendous important that Stones feed young generations as they are the future. I would like to name next 2008 tour as "a young person guide to the rolling stones".
Even The Stones didn't invent r'n'r, they are the biggest band ever, so please act like this.

Talking about next 2008 tour and having in mind the songs covered in the last tours (Dylan,Ray Charles and finally James Brown), who'll be next?
I would not like to guess and bet who and which song they will cover, that will probably mean that person died, so why not The Temptations and Papa was a rolling stone?

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: August 29, 2007 04:05

WMiller Wrote:
--------------------------------------------------
>
> Hopefully, they weren't enticed by the rubbish
> contained within. That would be a shame, you
> know, to be mislead.
>
> [www.iorr.org]#
> msg-789951

Good job digging that up. I'm not trying to pile on,but that's all we heard from the time the European tour was announced. Wait till they get to London. Well we waited. We're still waiting for all those rarities.........I think the point is,they don't have to do a show of all rarities,or all warhorses. I posted a fairly realistic setlist on the o2 wishlist thread that sprinkled the warhorses throughout the show instead of just backloading them. Plus what happened to popular songs like:street Fighting Man,Gimmie Shelter,Wild Horses,Angie,Memory Motel? These are well known songs that even the casual fan would surely enjoy.

"It's just some friends of mine and they're busting down the door"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-08-29 05:40 by sweetcharmedlife.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1832
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home