Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

HTW Question
Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: August 20, 2007 08:50

Well, here I am sitting at the Dublin airport waiting to catch a 7:45 flight to Liverpool before catching a train this afternoon down to London.

Got a Question, As I was really close to Charlie by the B stage at Slane, I noticed (and I can't believe I didn't notice this before) that he did not play the cowbell for Honkey Tonk Woman. Was what I heard a recording or was Blondie or someone else playing the cowbell from the main stage?

Re: HTW Question
Posted by: NickB ()
Date: August 20, 2007 14:09

Yeah I beleive it is Blondie from the main stage or a pre recorded loop that's played through the PA and the monitors so Charlie can get in time with it. I have noticed in recent years that HTW is played at the same bpm consistently which leads me to think that it's a pre recorded loop.

NickB

You can't always get what you want.....

www.myspace.com/thesonkings

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: August 20, 2007 14:33

... did Charlie ever play the cowbell?

Date: August 20, 2007 14:37

no

Date: August 20, 2007 15:56

>> no <<

that's what i thought - thanks

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: August 20, 2007 21:56

Jimmy Miller played the cowbell on the original.

Posted by: NickB ()
Date: August 21, 2007 02:16

As I remember Jimmy Miller also played the drums as well on HTW.

NickB

You can't always get what you want.....

www.myspace.com/thesonkings

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: August 21, 2007 04:40

I've never read that he played drums on HWT but he did play drums on You Can't Always Get...

Posted by: tommycharles ()
Date: August 21, 2007 05:02

Yeah it's been a loop since Matt Clifford left (he did play the cowbell on the 89/90 tour though). Very often Keith doesn't start HTW in the same tempo the cowbell is at, so when it comes in there's quite a noticeable speed-up at most shows (most recently on the Austin DVD).

Though they seemed to be playing all the big hits faster on this tour (good grief, if Tumbling Dice went for 7 minutes most nights, imagine how long it would be at the proper tempo...), so perhaps they sped up the cowbell and Keith just doesn't remember most nights.

T

Date: August 21, 2007 09:00

>> As I remember Jimmy Miller also played the drums as well on HTW. <<

nope, Charlie did, apart from the cowbell.

"We've never played an intro to Honky Tonk Women live the way it is on the record.
That's Jimmy playing the cowbell and either he comes in wrong or I come in wrong -
but Keith comes in right, which makes the whole thing right. It's one of those things
that musicologists could sit around analyzing for years. It's actually a mistake,
but from my point of view, it works."
- Charlie Watts, 2003
from [www.timeisonourside.com]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2288
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home