Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
OT: Current Pop Music Trends that you just love to hate.....
Posted by: HelterSkelter ()
Date: August 6, 2007 05:02

There's just some stuff going on lately in the music BIZ that's really annoying IMHO. Here' my list:

#1. Guitars being played on stage that look like they're a million years old AND have been dragged on the ground by a truck from LA to NYC.
I was looking through the latest ROLLING STONE magazine that just came in the post. There's STING with the other 2 Police boys on stage and his bass looks like it's been dropped off of the tallest building in the world and then run over by crowded holiday traffic. COME ON Sting, obviously you hired some guy with a maxed out tool shed to sand down your bass and do some other "Captain Destructo" crap to it with a hammer and screwdriver, HOW EFFING PATHETIC !!! Jimi Hendrix NEVER did that to his guitars, Nor Jimmy Page.... it's a stupid trend that I see more and more guitar players doing (The over rated JOHN MAYER?). Yeah, those guitars get really banged up being transfered from private jets to the trunks of limo's - it'a a hard life on the road these days - HA !! ......

#2. What drives me nuts is these new bands who make video's that are TOTAL rip offs from very well know, classic films. The one that really gets me is the rip off of Stanley Kubrick's THE SHINNING.... don't remember the name of the "No original idea's" band but hey boys, don't you think most of the world's seen that film? How about something LESS OBVIOUS !?!?!?!Is it possible to be ORIGINAL and CREATIVE for 5 minutes ??? ...... hmm, didn't think so......

#3. Super New Bands that sound like sh*t - need to practice a few more years in Mom's basement before they show up on some TV show late at night. I try and catch whatever bands are on LETTERMAN, LENO, CONAN, KIMBALL, etc and 99.9% SUCK big time these days. Last one I really liked was Perry Farrell's SATELLITE PARTY but Farrell's been around for decades. They're trying to be a copy of a copy of a copy and it just isn't working. The lead singer just stands there at the mic with a totally uninteresting (Sometimes even HORRIBLE) voice looking like he just got sent to the Principals Office for detention - THANK GOD for channel surfing and remote controls that move on to the next channel quietly and quickly - before you have time to flip out !!!

All this prefab garbage copycat crap makes you appreciate THE STONES so much more - the REAL DEAL !!!!

So what really grinds on you these days in the music world (or the world of NEW MUSIC)?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2007-08-06 13:40 by HelterSkelter.

Re: OT: Current Pop Music Trends you just LOVE to HATE.....
Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: August 6, 2007 05:52

HelterSkelter Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
So what really grinds on you these days in the music world (or the world of NEW MUSIC)?

There doesn't seem to be much actual talent behind a lot of the newer music - it's all production fluff and marketing driven by profit. A lot of the newer "artists" couldn't perform their songs in concert unless there was a computer generating a lot of the effects. I like bands that I know would give a good live show - and the energy and creativity of a live, dynamic concert, even if it varies a lot from the recording, because I see the creativity that goes into the process.

The other thing that I can't listen to anymore is any singer whose vocals go all over the map before they nail down a note (if ever). I figure... if you can't find the note you're looking for with a map and a compass, you're in the wrong line of work. Pretty much eliminates most radio play...

So... in the fear that anyone worth seeing won't be performing in 10 years, I am seeing as many concerts now as I can. Some good exceptions, though - one reason Crossroads was such an incredible show last weekend was seeing the multiple generations on the stage, and the continuity of history and craft - from B B King ("I'm 81 years old, you know...") and Hubert Sumlin down through Clapton, Beck, Winwood, Willie Nelson, Jimmie Vaughan, Robbie Robertson, Robert Cray, John Mayar and Derek Trucks, and others. The respect each had for the other, the joy of performing together and watching each other, and how they drove each other on, was a wonderful experience. Nice to see a lot of young fans in the audience.

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: August 6, 2007 06:07

How about when someone sings the (US) National Anthem before a game...
And goes stupidly nuts and "interpretational"...

Just sing the notes of the song!

Posted by: cirrhosis ()
Date: August 6, 2007 07:32

-

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-12-31 03:54 by cirrhosis.

Re: OT: Current Pop Music Trends that you just love to hate.....
Date: August 6, 2007 13:43

Maroon 5 yack!

Date: August 6, 2007 13:46

...Whoa, I was just thinkin' EXACTLY that same thing cirrhosis !!! Come on, am I the only one that thinks these super thrashed guitars look totally idiotic???

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: August 6, 2007 13:53

Good Charlotte...My Chemical Romance...Fergie....

Shoot 'em before they multiply.......

ROCKMAN

Posted by: King Snake ()
Date: August 6, 2007 14:03

Don`t forget Coldplay and the million bands that (try to) sounds like them.. Green Day.. they all sing like a kid whose candy was stolen!!

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: August 6, 2007 14:12

King Snake Wrote:
> Don`t forget Coldplay and the million bands that
> (try to) sounds like them.. Green Day.. they all
> sing like a kid whose candy was stolen!!

That's 2 of the worst bands - for sure - yuck

Posted by: custom55 ()
Date: August 6, 2007 15:14

I am so out of touch with the current music scene...and I like it that way.

ALTHOUGH I saw The Police last night and the warmup band, The Fratellis were really good R&R.

Posted by: billwebster ()
Date: August 6, 2007 16:22

ProTools and AutoTune make it feel like it's 1984 again, when there were crappy synths and crappy drum programs almost everywhere (see: Dave Edmund's Information and Riff Raff, Joe Ely's Hi-Res, Ian Gomm's What Makes A Man A a/k/a Images). Only this time around, the people who "enrich" their music in this way are not musicians, but socialites, who are considered better marketable. "My dress designers / they're going to doll me up in blue / eh pretty" anyone?

The trend in record mastering to push everything to the utmost maximum of volume is annoying if you want to listen to for a whole album's length (see: A Bigger Bang). Compare the bang with Blondie Chaplin's Between Us and you can hear that that CD really breathes.

Where are the distinctive vocalists of today, who don't sound like anybody but themselves? Who would write, produce and release new folk/soul/rock-based albums with other eclectic influences for the likes of Kelly Hogan (ex-Jod Grind), Cee-Lo Green (Gnarls Barkley), Emma Lanford (Mousse T) or Martina Topley-Bird (ex-Tricky)?

Check the lyrics to Tom Petty's song The Last DJ and learn that it was banned from radio stations all across the US when it came out in 2002, even though it is not PG rated. The state of blandness on the radio is really too much these days. Rockers like Bryan Adams or the Stones, who produce their new material for the radio, now seem to feel like they need to adapt to fit in: They polish the edges off of the guitar parts for their singles. Examples are Streets Of Love and Open Road (Adams). James Blandness abounds and just plays cold.

Gangster Hip hop promoting gangster attitude with kindergarten rhymes in kindergarten envionments and setting music industry standards at the same time is indeed worrysome. That's my 50 cents on the subject.

Add to that that I don't get the fascination that dsome people have for non-singer Justin Timberlake. Fellow Mickey Mouse Clubmate Christina Aguilera is sexy at least ...

Posted by: sjs12 ()
Date: August 6, 2007 16:30

I hate the new trend for every single band sounding like something fom the 80s. I thought we had realised that the 80s were crap and had kicked all that garbage out. WHy do people want to revive that?

Posted by: JuanTCB ()
Date: August 6, 2007 16:56

sjs12 Wrote:
> I hate the new trend for every single band
> sounding like something fom the 80s. I thought we
> had realised that the 80s were crap and had kicked
> all that garbage out. WHy do people want to
> revive that?

It's amazing how predictable everything is becoming, isn't it? I honestly think that the next trend will be some sort of retro-hair metal thing. What comes around, goes around.

Posted by: open-g ()
Date: August 6, 2007 17:17

HelterSkelter Wrote:
> There's just some stuff going on lately in the
> music BIZ that's really annoying IMHO. Here' my
> list:
>
> #1. Guitars being played on stage that look like
> they're a million years old AND have been dragged
> on the ground by a truck from LA to NYC.
> I was looking through the latest ROLLING STONE
> magazine that just came in the post. There's STING
> with the other 2 Police boys on stage and his bass
> looks like it's been dropped off of the tallest
> building in the world and then run over by crowded
> holiday traffic. COME ON Sting, obviously you
> hired some guy with a maxed out tool shed to sand
> down your bass and do some other "Captain
> Destructo" crap to it with a hammer and
> screwdriver, HOW EFFING PATHETIC !!! Jimi Hendrix
> NEVER did that to his guitars, Nor Jimmy Page....
> it's a stupid trend that I see more and more
> guitar players doing (The over rated JOHN MAYER?).
> Yeah, those guitars get really banged up being
> transfered from private jets to the trunks of
> limo's - it'a a hard life on the road these days -
> HA !! ......
>

I guess I know what you mean - reliced guitars an' all - but in case of Sting's bass you're probably wrong. He's had that bass for far more than 20 years and it's probably genuine scruffy from years of wear and tear.

the same with Andy Summers Telecaster, allthough the Fender Custom Shop sells a relic'd Andy Summers Tribute model.

[www.dolphinmusic.co.uk]

Posted by: Duane in Houston ()
Date: August 6, 2007 19:16

#3. Super New Bands that sound like sh*t - need to practice a few more years in Mom's basement

Exactly. I HATE these new kid bands who have no balls, can't sing, can't write and can't play. I KNOW they've heard real rock on the Classic Rock radio stations. Get a clue dick-heads. These whiner "rock" bands make me wanna puke! Are there no decent producers out there!?!

Posted by: harlito1969 ()
Date: August 6, 2007 19:20

Baiscally most of the new bands suck. They are noteven old enough! They look like they graduated high school and they already have contracts?! Crazy... it's just boy bands with guitars.

Also, there doesn't appear to be any kind of melody or style in the new music unless lack of style is the style.

Look for the bands with the ugliest members and you might have something. Ugly doesn't sell well now but I bet it sounds good.

Posted by: rooster ()
Date: August 6, 2007 19:47

I dont hate new music...but i do hate(most of the time) new popular music..and trends even more...there is no exitement anymore...no great stars...its a shame the old stars have to do it...the last huray foo music has allready started..its all over...video games are more popular and their aint no danger or shock element to be found no where....Talkin about the market....

Posted by: Baboon Bro ()
Date: August 6, 2007 19:49

Maybe have to return to the roots in order to sharpen our
rock 'n roll tools in the future.

Rock aint dead & I hope the Stones may do some more rock 'n roll
tours... US next fall for an instance... winking smiley (How about Georgia?)

Posted by: rooster ()
Date: August 6, 2007 19:57

Rock& roll still shakes...his head....but on the popular market its all gone...all gone...Expensive tickets aint R&R!! Blues cats coulnt afford to go if they wanted to go!!But still it is R&R..only!

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: August 6, 2007 20:17

Andy Summers has been around since the 1960's. The Les Paul that Eric Clapton used on the Fresh Cream LP was sold to him by Summers. If Summers is using battered old guitars, maybe he's actually owned them for a long time. Just a thought.

Posted by: dougie ()
Date: August 7, 2007 01:00

The spectacle on the stage is more important than the music. That really bothers me. I was in vegas around new years eve to see Van Morrison and Prince, and happened to go see the Black Eyed Peas on an off night (I don't gamble).

When Fergie was singing, she started doing cartwheels while she was singing. Don't get me wrong, she looked good doing it, but come on! You cannot sing well while you are cartwheeling around. And, it made me realize so much of the music is garbage, but having a bunch of dancers and struting around is more important.

It's about the music, not the dancing or spectacle. Atleast make the music listenable. Most Gangster Rap is even beyond loving to hate.

Date: August 7, 2007 01:22

Right dougie, I don't know who started this "Floor Show" Music and Dance concert garrbage (Madonna?) But Bonnie Raitt, Lucinda Williams, Tina Turner, or Natalie Merchant doesn't need all that dancing dog circus crap.... Just sing and move around a bit !!! If your voice can't pull it off you are in the wrong Business to begin with.....

Big Al, I was talking more about Stings bass (there's a shot in the new Rolling Stone that's even worse than the one up above). NO GUITAR gets that thrashed from normal usage (unless you have a carpenter friend help it along greatly with various power tools - lol)

Posted by: sweet neo con ()
Date: August 7, 2007 01:22

Helter wrote: "Come on, am I the only one that thinks these super thrashed guitars look totally idiotic???"

Helter.....I sort of agree with you that there's no reason that
they can't be playing a shiny new guitar to go along with their shiny
new clothes and shiny new stage on their multi-million dollar tours....
...but here's somethings to think about...

cool if it's one of their vintage (no other guitar sounds as good
and they played it on all their classic hits) guitars.....great I'd like to
see it!

on the other hand....don't know if you're aware but....there are some
major guitar manufacturers that are borrowing classic guitars from
classic guitarists....and duplicating every scuff, dent and paint scratch
on NEW equipment! Know what i mean? (i've seen this documented on tv).
The artists have this done so that they can keep their prized possession
under lock & key at home..while they play one that looks just like it (to
fool the hard-core fans ...i guess) while on tour.

These "distressed guitars" are also created in limited supply for sale to
the general public.....so if you want an Eddie Van Halen look-a-like
guitar with all of the same wear marks & scratches as Eddie's, you'll
pay mucho dinero.

So...if I were going to be REALLY cynical...maybe they're waving these
old, distressed "vintage-looking" guitars around as a way of advertising these
very expensive (not authentic) souvenirs.

I'll check online to see if I can find a link to these new (but look old) guitars.

Check this out (look for Keith's guitars): [www.virtualvintageguitars.com]

sorry open-g...i just saw your post. (similar)

trend I hate: ticket prices

IORR............but I like it!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2007-08-07 01:28 by sweet neo con.

Posted by: audun-eg ()
Date: August 7, 2007 01:32

HelterSkelter Wrote:

> #1. Guitars being played on stage that look like
> they're a million years old AND have been dragged
> on the ground by a truck from LA to NYC.
> I was looking through the latest ROLLING STONE
> magazine that just came in the post. There's STING
> with the other 2 Police boys on stage and his bass
> looks like it's been dropped off of the tallest
> building in the world and then run over by crowded
> holiday traffic. COME ON Sting, obviously you
> hired some guy with a maxed out tool shed to sand
> down your bass and do some other "Captain
> Destructo" crap to it with a hammer and
> screwdriver, HOW EFFING PATHETIC !!! Jimi Hendrix
> NEVER did that to his guitars, Nor Jimmy Page....
> it's a stupid trend that I see more and more
> guitar players doing (The over rated JOHN MAYER?).
> Yeah, those guitars get really banged up being
> transfered from private jets to the trunks of
> limo's - it'a a hard life on the road these days -
> HA !! ......

I polish my guitars with car-wax to make them look as new and shiny as possiblewinking smiley

[www.reverbnation.com]

Date: August 7, 2007 01:43

SNC, I agree, if they're for real, and I'm sure some are (Clapton, Townshend, Macca, Keith, Page, Beck) but their's don't look THAT bad (I assume most of these guys have the sense - that leaves Eddie Van Halen out(lol) - to keep them in some decent protective cases) A few of these look SO wiped- out I just don't buy it - the super damaged ones, just seems/looks too "planned" (remember a few years back when people were thrashing and riping holes all over their stone washed jeans - Bon Jovi types - to look all messed up?) Same thing - over kill/over done IMHO....

Posted by: Rialb ()
Date: August 7, 2007 02:01

Damn drum machines and loops. Now that I think about it bring back Ollie Brown.

Posted by: Lukester ()
Date: August 7, 2007 02:13

schillid Wrote:
> How about when someone sings the (US) National
> Anthem before a game...
> And goes stupidly nuts and "interpretational"...
>
> Just sing the notes of the song!

.....word...., yeah, don't go Whitney Houston on us....just sing the freakin song so we can watch the motherfvcking ball game.....dad gummit.....

Posted by: Duane in Houston ()
Date: August 7, 2007 03:20

right on

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: August 7, 2007 03:26

RAP

Posted by: sweet neo con ()
Date: August 7, 2007 03:39

helter wrote: "A few of these look SO wiped- out I just don't buy it"

after looking at sting's bass guitar....i agree.

even if he was wearing the coarsest sandpaper on his sleeves
and leaving it out in his kid's sandbox every night..i doubt it
could look like that.

back in 1970 when i was in 2nd grade...it was cool to have
ripped up sneakers.

maybe they send their equipment to some one to "wear it in"
like keith does with his shoes (to johnny depp).

IORR............but I like it!

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1490
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home