Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: The Biggest Bang: overdubs?!?!
Posted by: Jesus Murphy ()
Date: September 9, 2007 22:57

Wuudy Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Gazza Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Theres considerable overdubbing in "At The Max".
> A
> > considerable amount of footage seen in that
> film
> > was recreated on the stage in the empty
> stadiums
> > in London & Turin.
> >
>
> I read this before. That is unbalievable if it's
> true. Are you really saying that they performed
> some of the songs in a empty stadium?

...it's the same with Led Zeppelin's "The Song Remains The Same" film- portions of the 'concert' footage were shot at Shepperton Studios in London in 1974! (You can tell where 'cos Page has shorter hair and John Paul Jones is wearing a wig!) See Eddie Edwards "The Garden Tapes" site for all the gory details...

I don't think there's an official live album/concert video out there by anybody that doesn't have some after the fact touch ups or overdubs, even the ones that claim otherwise. This is why I love the bootlegs: they're untarnished.

I mean, I can understand the theory behind "cheating", as it's known in the trade, but I don't necessarily agree with it- sort of defeats the purpose of being "live", doesn't it? Mistakes are part of being human, after all...

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: September 9, 2007 23:47

Jesus Murphy Wrote:
>> I don't think there's an official live
> album/concert video out there by anybody that
> doesn't have some after the fact touch ups or
> overdubs, even the ones that claim otherwise.

Theres plenty. Van Morrison's "Its too late to stop now" for starters. Its really a latter day phenomenon for the most part. I certainly dont think Elvis went into the studio to overdub anything on his many live albums. Dylan, for the most part (his vocal on 'My Back Pages' on the 30th anniversary concert being an exception), hasnt done so either.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-09-09 23:49 by Gazza.

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: September 9, 2007 23:53

the New Barbarians at Largo isn't overdubbed either :E
(some editing between numbers, but no overdubs)

oh and: what it says on TBB is "additional recordings by Pierre Beaufort & Dave Rouze" -
i know others have already pointed that out, but it seems to keep getting lost in the shuffle,
and it sure looks like an engineering credit to me.

Posted by: drummer_dude ()
Date: September 10, 2007 00:45

All I can say the mix on the Austin DVD is NOT good to my taste at all but the rest are all good. The dvd is good and worth watching. What do you expect from guys in their 60's. This is the Stones now at present. Sure what they did when they were young jammed, they were hungry then they had all the energy to.
Now it is a bit more laid back. But it is still the Rolling Stones regardless how we think about them. We just need to be glad they are still here is all.

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: September 10, 2007 00:52

>> still the Rolling Stones <<

smile: yeah, they sure are - ain't that fine?!

Date: September 10, 2007 03:16

Overbubs, overdubs, overdubs !!! There's always overdubs. Live with it...or don't listen to it

Posted by: Jesus Murphy ()
Date: September 10, 2007 10:10

54 Les Paul Junior Wrote:
> Overbubs, overdubs, overdubs !!! There's always
> overdubs. Live with it...or don't listen to it

Well, yeah...I suppose that that's the bottom line, isn't it?

Posted by: Svartmer ()
Date: September 10, 2007 14:09

One of the most celebrated "live albums" is Thin Lizzy´s Live and Dangerous, produced by Tony Visconti. Talk about overdubs...

Tony Visconti:
"We spent a few days re-recording a few vocals. It went very well. Once we established a sound and a system to do this, Phil suggested that we might as well redo all the vocals. So we did. Then we noticed that Gorham and Robertson were not on mic for backing vocals half the time. If you listen closely you can hear Phil doubling the backing vocals at the same time he was singing lead! Then Phil realized that he'd missed a few notes on the bass when he was singing live. Could we replace some bass parts? "Of course!" I said. We did. The bass was harder and more precise and so ALL the bass parts were replaced. In walked Scott Gorham and Brian Robertson. Since it was so easy to replace Phil's parts, could they redo theirs? "Of course!" But now it was obvious that this was not completely live anymore. The guitars, bass and vocals were replaced -- just Downey's drums and the audience reaction were left! Fortunately Downey liked his playing and we kept ALL the drums".

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: September 10, 2007 15:33

Not many actual "overdubs" are required these days. With the technology available today, many errors can be corrected in the digital domain.
I would imagine that actual overdubs would only be required where gross timing errors or complete drop outs were present in the original recording.

Date: September 20, 2007 12:09

I watched DVD #1 (Texas) for the first time yesterday, and I was very disappointed. Why bother with overdubs when 50% of the songs still are full of (huge) mistakes? Looking foward to the other discs though - can't help it smiling smiley

Posted by: Joss ()
Date: September 20, 2007 16:17

I think its the erratic editing rather than the overdubs that's a pain in the bum on the Austin show. You get loads of long shots of the backing singers (who appear to be totally in sync, BTW) but hardly ever see close-ups of Mick singing into the mike (for obvious reasons). I don't mind that (hopefully) Keith re-did his solo during ATBTP, but the editors left that shot of him playing way down the neck of his guitar - basically rubbing it in our faces that this isn't what he was actually playing.

On the lyp-synch topic - I've noticed on some of FF & other parts of ABB (can't remember which ones exactly) also that mick appears out of sync, but there don't appear to be obviousy overdubbed vocals. Couldn't part of the out-of-synch effect just be the result of poor synching in the studio, rather than purely because of overdubs?

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1709
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home