Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3
Re: Were you ALWAYS a Rolling Stones Fan?
Posted by: pgarof ()
Date: September 11, 2007 03:13

I was a Beatles fan until 'Let it Bleed' then it was the Stones for me, soon after that the Beatles split so then i didn't have to have split loyalties.

I loved a lot of bands in the seventies:-

Led Zep, Pink floyd, Rory Gallagher, plus other bands to a minor extent, faces, T.Rex, Yes, Santana, Fleetwood Mac. But the Stones have always been number one.

I often think about music now and wonder who would I be a great fan of if I was sixteen again and I honestly can't think of anyone.

Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: September 11, 2007 03:17

I always liked the Stones, but really got into them after seeing them live for the first time in '78. Good move on my part to buy that ticket. Oh, and it was $12.50!

Posted by: nikki bong ()
Date: September 11, 2007 03:24

the daddy-o and i used to jump around the living room listening to 'Mixed Emotions' on vinyl. (he was the one that taught me my mean air guitar, sob sob) i was three at the time . . .

eighteen years later, he hasn't bought a studio stones album SINCE steel wheels (though i remember that he had a tape of stripped), can't stand how they've "sold out," and mocks my fervent devotion relentlessly.

he can hold certain things over me, though: he was at the '72 shoes @ MSG, les abbatoirs in '76, and a couple of the '81 shows.

as for me: well i was in portland '05, so take that!! blondie had a good night . . .

Posted by: hutz13 ()
Date: September 11, 2007 03:38

I remember liking both bands on the radio but the very first album I ever actually purchased was "Got Live If You Want It" and at the time it was Nirvana to me ... wore that sucker out with pennies taped to the stylus.

Jim

Ultimate Rock Music Poll
[www.squidoo.com]

Posted by: moonchild57 ()
Date: September 11, 2007 03:41

As long as I can remember, probably 1965. Everyone was going gaga over the Beatles, but for me it was influences that I had from my best friend's older sisters. Stones, Dylan, Doors, Animals.

Posted by: 1962 ()
Date: September 11, 2007 09:07

Always. Since 1977. I was 15 then. And this year I saw them with my wife and 4 children (7, 8, 11, 13 years old). My first son is already Stones crazy like me. Amazing. All others love them, know the songs etc.

Posted by: rebelrebel ()
Date: September 11, 2007 09:45

I didn't start listening to pop music until 1969, (when I was 10), and so Honky Tonk Women was the first Stones song I ever heard. And from that moment on they were my favourite group and that never changed. However, in 1972 I got very into Bowie and although that didn't technically change my favourite group it's fair to say that Bowie was more important to me for a while. I put the two on an even footing from about Some Girls onwards.

Posted by: largelingerie ()
Date: September 11, 2007 10:28

1969 for me too (I was 9). The Ramones took over for me in 1977 -- same intensity, louder and more physically accessible. Never dreamed that I'd one day (when I got to be as close to a friggin' grown-up as I'm gonna get!) be able to give up vast quantities of money to see the Stones way up close.

But, perhaps it was actually in utero, when I think about it... I just came out loving the Stones.

Date: September 11, 2007 12:36

Not always. It didn't start untill I was 6 years old. Back in 1964... My father was a music fan, and an artist, and brought home all the singles - Stones, Beatles etc. (We still have them! Not in mint condition, but still.) The very first time I heard the Stones, it was like my bone marrow recognized a code. My music, my tribe. And through the years it's been a thrill following them around the world. With and without my family. We're now three generations in our family who simply love the Stones.

Posted by: therollingmanu ()
Date: September 11, 2007 12:58

Yes, since i was 12 years old. as most people only start to develop their taste or at least a serious interest in music in their teens, I think it's fair to say I've always been a stones fan!

Posted by: donvito27 ()
Date: September 11, 2007 13:38

thnx to my sister and cousin who took me in 1995 to the my first Stones concert. i was 15 at the time and since that day, night i became a a stones till the day i will die. i know its not a lot comparing to u guys up here. the same time i also discovered Bob Dylan and it was love at first sight, but never liked Beatles too much..

Posted by: ohnonotyouagain ()
Date: September 11, 2007 14:33

My first words were "Elmo Lewis."

"It wasn't my fault ... liquors drunkened me!" Homer Simpson

Posted by: roadbikegirl ()
Date: September 11, 2007 16:44

Yes, I was always a Stones fan. I am 32 now, and one of the first songs I remember is "satisfaction'. I also loved the "harlem shuffle" video as a kid. My first date with my boyfriend was a Stones concert 13 years ago. And my first kiss was on "brown sugar". Love the stones!

Posted by: mickschix ()
Date: September 11, 2007 17:10

I was a Beatles AND Stones fan in 1963, I was ten so it was pretty hard to not get caught up in Beatlemania ;no matter what folks say, the Beatles had that SOMETHING, and without the Beatles, many doors would not have opened up for the other British Invasion bands. That is not being disloyal, that's simply a fact. You all know that the Beatles and Stones liked each other and the Beatles even gave " I Wanna Be You Man" to the Stones to recod so they were far from enemies. Out of their rivalry came a ton of wonderful music, from each band. Having said that, for me the first time I really noticed the Stones on Ed Sullivan in 1964, with Mick doing the James Brown shuffle, I was a goner! Love at second sight, because I'd already loved "Congratulations," the flip side of the single "Time Is On My Side"( I still have that single!). From that point on I bought everything ever put out by the Stones and I never looked back. I started going to their concerts from 1972 on, never missing a tour and spent endless hours clipping out articles and photos for scrapbooks that I still treasure. Then I started to collect bootlegs....OH MY GOD, what a Pandora's Box I opened with that craze! The Stones made the passing of the Beatles tolerable; I know alot of fans of the Stones have a tough time admitting that they followed the musical career of the Beatles, but as I said, it is not a slight to our Boys who also liked their music! The Stones cannot be compared to any other band on the planet because of their unique way of synthecizing R&B with the blues and mixing it all up so it came out with their stamp on it...STONES! The one and only, Rolling Stones.

Posted by: carlostones10 ()
Date: September 11, 2007 17:17

Always Stones. I hate the beatles. I love the Stones and I really don´t like the beatles.

Posted by: mickschix ()
Date: September 11, 2007 17:44

That's ok carlos, it has been my experience though that most of my friends who love the Stones also liked the Beatles. Of course, there are exceptions. So why exactly have you never liked the Beatles? Not even ONE song?

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: September 11, 2007 18:11

Loved the stones since I first heard Rolled Gold, one of the two only decent tapes my mother had in the house when I was a kid (the other one I loved was Bowie Pin Ups).

The funny thing is that I became addicted "thanks" to the 80's production, from Tattoo You to Dirty Works - BEFORE having ever heard any of the records form the golden years.

Probably that is why I still love them so much.

C

Posted by: dead.flowers ()
Date: September 11, 2007 18:25

Ever since I heard BS on the NDR2 radio hit parade.

Posted by: Georges ()
Date: September 11, 2007 18:58

Yes.
The first time I heard the Stones was on radio in 1963. It was “I’m king bee”. Since then I have never stopped listening to them. They are all my life.
In another hand, in June 1965 I went to the gig of the Beatles in Nice; I was quite disappointed.
The Stones have always been the best, ever.
Georges

Posted by: dimrstone ()
Date: September 12, 2007 00:54

YES!!!

Posted by: Stikkyfinger ()
Date: September 12, 2007 12:35

stonesrule Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> How many of you were avid Beatles fans who one day
> decided it was the Stones who were your
> favorites?
>
> Or do you like both bands equally?
>
> Or, no matter your age, was there another band or
> solo artist who was your absolute favorite before
> you became addicted to the Stones?

Excellent question my friend! I was a Beatles fan before I became a Stones fan. The Beatles were extraordinary in so many ways and I still love their songs today. There are so many classic Beatles songs.

The first Stones song I heard was Not Fade Away and it seemed magical to me then, but it wasn't really until Stickyfingers and particulalry Brown Sugar that I got the Stones bug. I love all the songs on Stickyfingers and I can play them all pretty well, however as a band, we only play Brown Sugar and Dead Flowers, although we could add more songs from SF into our set with a little rehearsal.

Rolling Stones Tribute

Play Rolling Stones

Posted by: straycatuk ()
Date: September 12, 2007 13:20

Beatles first in the late 70's because of records available to tape - remember that.

Still love Beatles songs. Always have thought George was underated and Lennon somewhat overated,but their body of recorded work is superb.They split at the right time, IMHO.

The Stones entered my life when I was about 14 ('79/'80) with "Rolled Gold" and I've been hooked ever since.More so after seeing them for the 1st time in 1982.

SC UK

Posted by: Harm ()
Date: September 12, 2007 13:45

First I liked the stones and many others too (Bowie,...). Then I became a fan of the stones. The stones are the only band I'm fan of. Followed by Dylan,..
But no one comes even close to the stones for me and probably never will as I'm getting older smiling smiley
That's also why I critize them sometimes. I know that they are more than Satisfaction, Brown Sugar, JJF, SMU,...

Posted by: tutu ()
Date: September 12, 2007 13:45

no.no.no.no.... i just can't be satisfied i'm a fan of the rolling stones for many many years, i love the stones so @#$%&' much... i don't need no sympathy i don't need no fancy wine i'm jumpin' jack flash it's a gas gas gas....

it's only tutu

Posted by: Mongoose ()
Date: September 12, 2007 14:15

Always enjoyed both the Beatles and the Stones equally, as well as all the other British Invasion bands (The Who, The Kinks, etc.).

The very first Stones song I heard on the radio was "It's All Over Now" in 1964, and I became an immediate fan. Bought that 45 and "Tell Me" within about two days, and played both records to death.

I was nine years old, and my parents had a fit when I told them I wanted to not only grow my hair longer, but dye it blond, just like Brian Jones! I thought that was a cool look.

Probably a good thing they talked me out of the blond part, but I DID grow my hair longer!

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: September 12, 2007 15:21

Was a beatles fan first because my father listened to them more than he ever did the Stones - mostly because the Stones were a bit 'heavy' by his standards. LOL He prefers the 50's music, and only the early poppy beatles, so it was Love Me Do and Yellow Submarine that I grew up listening to, but then when I was 13, out came Mixed Emotions and I loved it and the video. I got the boxset (London Years) for Christmas that same year, and I couldn't believe how many songs of theirs I'd heard on the Oldies station. At that point, the Stones were just one of many bands that I now liked. Flashpoint completely blew me away for a live album. When Voodoo Lounge came out, they catapulted up to #2 behind the beatles, and I so desperately wanted to go see them that tour, but my mother adamantly refused. Voodoo Lounge is still their Exile in my book. It's held up so well over time. The production, the sound are mind boggling. Not a bad song on the album. Stripped was yet another great live performance, and to this day, is probably still my favorite live release of theirs. Having first heard ASMB, I was yet again astounded by how fresh the sound was and I was determined to go see them finally on the B2B tour, as I was now in college and my mom couldn't do anything. LOL So the final solidification of my obsession with Greatest Rock-n-Roll Band in the World came on one September night in Foxboro, MA.......They opened with Satisfaction, and I remember thinking Holy Sh!! If they open with their biggest song, where the hell are we goin from here?! There were songs played that night that I'd never heard before, and the stage!!! That enormous stage and bridge out to half field - I believe wholeheartedly that that night is still the reason why I prefer to see them outdoors with all the grandeur of the special effects. I was hooked from that day on, and the very next day I went out and bought about 10 of their albums including many of the limited edition mini-LP replicas of the 70's albums that were out at the time. I have been sorely addicted ever since, and there is no turning back, and I'm damn proud of it!!

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1842
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home