Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
Were you ALWAYS a Rolling Stones Fan?
Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: July 29, 2007 19:07

How many of you were avid Beatles fans who one day decided it was the Stones who were your favorites?

Or do you like both bands equally?

Or, no matter your age, was there another band or solo artist who was your absolute favorite before you became addicted to the Stones?

Re: Were you ALWAYS a Rolling Stones Fan?
Posted by: rooster ()
Date: July 29, 2007 19:10

No...always Stones....before i knew the Stones Slade.......but i was 10 years old! forgive me!

Posted by: boston2006 ()
Date: July 29, 2007 19:21

September 25, 1965: The Rolling Stones' single Get Off of My Cloud is released in the U.S. (Released in the U.K. on October 22.)

This is the date I became a fan . I liked all types of stuff prior and also afterwards but The Stones were # 1 from that day on .

Posted by: heinz_str ()
Date: July 29, 2007 19:26

stones fan since over 30 Years.
also rory Gallagher

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: July 29, 2007 19:43

interesting question! i first heard both the Stones and the Beatles in late 63, and dug 'em both,
but the Beatles' energy was definitely somewhat easier for a pre-teenybopper to deal with;
and my very crafty guardians launched an all-out campaign to lure me & my sister safely into Beatles territory,
away from those hot volcanic Stones. but i dug the Stones too, listened to them, paid close attention,
got into fistfights over the right spelling of Keith's surname and all that. and by 67/68 i was marked for life. :E

well, except for that spell in the 70s when the Stones got my goat so bad that i boycotted them for a few years -
fat lot of good it did me! won't try that again :E

Posted by: Sohoe ()
Date: July 29, 2007 20:13

Always The Stones

Posted by: rlngstns ()
Date: July 29, 2007 20:16

Stones were always #1 in my books....without a doubt

Posted by: bv ()
Date: July 29, 2007 20:23

Yes.

Bjornulf

Posted by: Nikolai ()
Date: July 29, 2007 20:26

stonesrule Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> How many of you were avid Beatles fans who one day
> decided it was the Stones who were your
> favorites?
>
> Or do you like both bands equally?
>
> Or, no matter your age, was there another band or
> solo artist who was your absolute favorite before
> you became addicted to the Stones?

I'm not qualified, in that I got into The Stones (and The Who) in 1978, at the age of 12. But for me, it's always been about those two bands, when we're talking great British bands from the sixties.

I'm not a big Beatles fan, except for The White Album and two thirds of Abbey Road. The Stones eclipsed them with Let It Bleed.

Posted by: FrankM ()
Date: July 29, 2007 20:52

In the seventees I was actually a huge Kiss fan. Now don't beat me up, I was only about ten years old and really didn't know squat about rock and roll.

Then I bought the Beatles greatest hits album (62-66) and subsequently got hooked on them. I got into The Stones around 82' when I was about fifteen and they have been my favorite band ever since that time.

Still have some great memories of going to the record store after school and buying all their albums. Sometimes I wish I could erase The Rolling Stones from my memory so I could rediscover them all over again and feel that magic once again.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2007-07-29 20:58 by FrankM.

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: July 29, 2007 21:01

Yes, I remember seeing these big lips and tongue... Heard this music playing... I was in this mad dash to get to the front. And just as I was ready to come to the big tongue...

Well as I said, I am a born Stones fan.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2007-07-30 06:19 by schillid.

Posted by: WilcoMick ()
Date: July 29, 2007 21:15

Always been a Stones fan, started with Black and Blue, but when I started buying and playing vinyl I knew many songs that I must have heard - and liked! - on the radio (we always had radios on in our home) when I was younger. I guess I was a Stones fan ever since I was born ;-)

Wilco

Posted by: hickorywind ()
Date: July 29, 2007 21:23

Ever since hearing Not Fade Away for the first time in 1964.

Posted by: doubledoor ()
Date: July 29, 2007 21:43

My cousin and I had two sets of albums when we were little. She had Beatles albums, I had a some Elvis ones. We played them for each other, so I was familiar with the Beatles first as a kid. Admired the fun pleasant brilliant music, but Elvis thrilled and excited me. When puberty hit I still admired the fun pleasant brilliance of the Beatles, but progressed from Elvis who had just died, to the Stones for thrills and excitement. Been a Stones nut ever since. No other artist in any medium comes close.

Posted by: Nelson ()
Date: July 29, 2007 22:38

Of course..who wasnt??? Ask Iggy Of the mental health of those who dont love the Stones.

Posted by: RollingStonesFan ()
Date: July 29, 2007 23:40

"Were you ALWAYS a Rolling Stones Fan?"

=>Here at IORR, I always called myself "RollingStonesFan"...so...

Posted by: wee bobby lennox ()
Date: July 29, 2007 23:51

i liked the beatles, but once i heard the stones in 1987, i was a fan.

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: July 29, 2007 23:53

"Were you ALWAYS a Rolling Stones Fan?"

Yes, definately - even before I knew what they were saying

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-07-30 00:05 by Erik_Snow.

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: July 29, 2007 23:57

I was 9, home from school sick, heard It's All Over Now on KRLA radio and I was hooked. (Dave Hull, it's all your fault.)

Posted by: stein ()
Date: July 29, 2007 23:58

I was a beatle fan until I heard Get off of my cloud in 65

Posted by: mickijaggeroo ()
Date: July 30, 2007 00:12

Since the age of 8-9, late 1973, early 74. Told this story many a time here on IORR, neighbours playing Stones really loud every day, until I got the nerve to knock on their door to ask what it was. Never looked back. But I also liked at the time Sweet, and later on bands like Thin Lizzy (whom I´m lucky to say, I meet a few times in their heyday, great guys, especially Phil). And of course all the classic rock/hard rock bands of the era. I may be conservative, but the last truly great band that caught my ear was the Black Crowes with their first CD. From then I find most bands crap, or simply one hit wonders...

Vilhelm
Nordic Stones Vikings

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: July 30, 2007 00:58

I think I always was but It was just a matter of me connecting with it. I starting listening to them when I was 17, But I have a distinct memory in the third grade of doing my first mick jagger impression. It was on the playground during lunch time and I was sining the song "Mixed Emotions". They played it on TV a lot advertising the steel wheels tour. I didnt know what the steel wheels tour was, or that the name of the song was Mixed Emotions. I just new it was this song that went "Buttton your Lippss Babbbyy..." I got a pretty good reaction from my friend I was talking to. I remmeber we were talking about the movie Labrynth with David Bowie, and then the conversation tunred to Mick and then I just busted out that song.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2007-07-30 01:02 by ryanpow.

Posted by: Harlix ()
Date: July 30, 2007 01:19

Since age 13. But i also liked Bowie ones. Got all his records and the first Tin Machine. But after that i stoped collecting him. Also like The Kinks a lot and Thin Lizzy.

There are some great bands,but no one like The Rolling Stones. Its the number one in my heart !!!

It´s Only Rock´n Roll

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2007-07-30 03:47 by Harlix.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: July 30, 2007 01:20

YEAH....
Branded some where around late 63...bought the first
album mid 64 and they've been breathin' down me neck ever since

ROCKMAN

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: July 30, 2007 02:10

...Oh yes, and I also remembering watching the Flintstones when they had on "Mick Jadestone and the Rolling Boulders", it must have been around '66.

Date: July 30, 2007 02:31

My parents had Beatles albums in the house as a young lad but not the Stones so it was Beatles. Next I discovered the Stones on my own and they have been my #1 mainly because:
1. They are mostly still alive.
2. They still tour.
3. They can still play.

My interest for them waned between 1983-1988 as I didn't care much for their material during that 5-year period and I wasn't sure what they were trying to do.
I still enjoyed their previous releases but wasn't digging on the 1980's Stones stuff too much.
I got back into them in the 1990's for their LIVE performances and not so much their newer releases although some of it is ok, but a far cry from what they used to be capable of creating.

With this being near the end of a long great ride, I am enjoying whatever they have to offer at this point and they still rule in concert!

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: July 30, 2007 03:43

I grew up liking most of the British invasion groups, as well as other 60's stuff like CCR, Steppenwolf, and Three Dog Night. As a 70's teenager, I dug the solo Beatles and Elton. I finally saw the light and became a Stones freak around the time of Black and Blue.

I like LOTS of other stuff, but the Stones are always Number One.

"No Anchovies, Please"

Posted by: mighty stork ()
Date: July 30, 2007 03:51

Yeah yeah yeah.... I started out as a Beatles fan. It wasn't until I was 7 and heard Satisfaction on the radio that I became a die hard Stones fan. Never regreted it. My band continued to rock and stayed together right to this day. Good choice I'd say.

Posted by: thor ()
Date: July 30, 2007 05:45

Hermans Hermits, Young Rascals, then the Rolling Stones!

Date: July 30, 2007 07:41

since i was 5yrs old and heard "get off my cloud",
i have worshipped them!

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 849
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home