Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Buying a good Fender Strat
Posted by: King Snake ()
Date: July 23, 2007 23:00

It looks pretty much like that yeah.. but that`s a Mexican guitar..

Posted by: jabhead ()
Date: July 23, 2007 23:11

There are no Absolutes with guitars, amps, and related gear.

Find a guitar that speaks to You. If an instrument motivates you to practice and create music than it is a good guitar, Regardless of cost or where it was made.

That said, I know what I prefer in a strat...

9.5 neck radius (not vintage 7.25)
Big fat neck carve (like a Nocaster). Had '57 reissue and the neck was too skinny.
6105 Frets (not the vintage little skinny ones)
Vintage style low output pickups
Lightweight Ash body.

As as far fret board I can do either, maple may be a little spankier and rosewood a little warmer. Though this depends if its a lam or slab.

as far as appointments, I dislike gold hardware.

Gone through a lot of strats, I've kept three, and only one is built by Fender.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2007-07-23 23:15 by jabhead.

Posted by: pay pay ()
Date: July 24, 2007 00:33

JuanTCB Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Damn it, PP, the "P&L statement" line just made me
> choke on my coffee. Quite possibly the funniest
> commercial ever made. I don't even like Kiss, but
> Ace clearly rules.
>
> Was it Dunkin Donuts coffee?????

Posted by: JuanTCB ()
Date: July 24, 2007 02:13

pay pay Wrote:
> > Was it Dunkin Donuts coffee?????

Of course - I gave myself the P&L statement!

Posted by: ChrisM ()
Date: July 24, 2007 07:18

A Strat is a wonderfully versatile guitar and a good one is a thing of joy. I owned an American made '57 reissue for years (which is now owned by mcparty) and besides swapping out the 3 way pickup selector for a 5 way switch I left it stock. Great sound with a wide tonal palette. Moreover you can get one used for under a grand! (Perhaps new as well I reckon but I haven't seen one lately)

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: July 24, 2007 10:38

I've owned a good number od Strats over the years.
My main current working Strat...and one that's as good as any I've owned [including CS and a late 60's original]..is an early [1990] Mexican Standard. OK, everything on it has since been "upgraded" but the the neck and body are a magic pairing that feel great and sing. You can find that in Strats at all price points. You just have to seek them out.

Date: July 24, 2007 12:57

Yes yes yes...

I`m gonna order it!! Can heve it next week!!

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: July 24, 2007 15:29

King Snake Wrote:
> Yes yes yes...
>
> [img3.musiciansfriend.com]
> s/7/7/2/496772.jpg
> I`m gonna order it!! Can heve it next week!!

Why are you ordering it without even playing on it??? If you don't know how it will sound and feel and fit in your hands, that seems a pretty big gamble to me. Don't rely on opinions of other players.

Date: July 24, 2007 15:36

I have played multiple but not in this color.

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: July 24, 2007 15:50

Don't think you got Koen's point ;^).

Depends on your point of view I suppose.
Some folks are happy to believe that all guitars of a particular type will be sufficiently alike in feel and performance to make no real difference. They'll happily mail order a guitar and will [in all probability] be very happy with it once it arrives.
Other folks [me included I have to confess] will always contend that every guitar is a bit different...and that some are blessed with a special magic that happens by the chance selection of the wood [and divine intervention ;^) ].
We often percieve significant differences in the feel of nominally similar necks [down to to varaitions in final shaping and their behaviour under tension for example].
I wish I was in the first group of confident mail order buyers...but sadly I'm not.
I have to shop for guitars "in person"...and allow the right ones to choose me !

Posted by: open-g ()
Date: July 24, 2007 16:05

My last Fender Tele was a mail order and I was mighty nervous about what I was going to get.
I only orderd it because they garanteed a 30 days return without any questions asked.
It turned out to be a good one - loved it from the start and still do.

Mail ordering a guitar is a gamble and you still might get stuck with shipping costs even if you can return it.
read the contract carefully.

Date: July 24, 2007 16:10

Same here, open-g - got a Japanese '72 Tele Custom off ebay a couple of months ago and luckily it was perfect.

King Snake - before you order, I will ask again - what kind of guitar do you have now? what kind of amp? how long have you been playing? what kind of sound do you want to get/who do you want to sound like?

We're here for you, man - talk to us!

Date: July 24, 2007 16:28

I have some brandless Strat copy, an Ibanez GRG270 and an acoustic Ibanez AW40NT.

As I just play at home I use the amp modeling feauture in the KORG AX1500g.

I`ve been playing for almost 4 years now.

I`m looking for a versatile guitar.. which can get me some funky clean sounds. And a dirty blues bite, and a softer, fat tone.. when playing some Strats I discovered, they can do it all!!

As for the mail ordering: I would love to play one first but I haven`t got a clue as to where. I have e-mailed numerous guitar shops around my town to ask if they have one ready to try, no luck yet, but if they do I will definetly go try it and buy it if I like it.

But it`s really this guitar that I like most, from what I`ve seen. So if I want it, I`d rather buy it in the shop, but if the only option is to mail order it, then I guess that`s that.

Date: July 24, 2007 16:30

Oh yeah I am looking out for a new amp (but it`s gonna have to wait $$$).

I want something that gets me a tube-like sound at low volume and not too much $$$.

Date: July 24, 2007 16:40

OK - very good. You seem to have your head screwed on straight, young Snake!

Another thing - have you checked eBay or any other internet marketplaces? You never know what you might find - you could get lucky. Also - see if you can order one directly from your local guitar store. That way, if the axe shows up out of whack or f*cked up at all, they'll be responsible for it. Good luck!

Date: July 24, 2007 16:42

That`s true I got an e-mail from a guitar store nearby..
999 euros, with a hardcase. They have it there in a week max.

Posted by: Stikkyfinger ()
Date: July 25, 2007 21:22

There's an easy answer here KS. What do you want the guitar for? Do you want to tell your friends you have an American built Strat, or do you want a guitar that plays well and sounds good?

Remember all guitars can be modded - pickups, tuners, preamps etc etc.

When I buy a guitar of any sort I play it first! If it feels right and sounds right then I'll worry about the colour and which name is on the headstock. Sure I like my fender Tele (Jap), but I would consider any guitar as a replacement.

In my case it would have to have a 'bucker in the neck position and be strung through the body, and it would have to have a maple fingerboard - I just love the way the play/feel. Apart from that, I'm open to suggestions. JMHO.

Rolling Stones Tribute

Play Rolling Stones

Posted by: 1cdog ()
Date: July 25, 2007 21:42

Todd Krause with Fender built my latest Strat.

Todd's workmanship is excellent........the best!

I think the work coming out of the Fender Custom shop overall these days is excellent.

I've read here that a person or two likes Japanese built Strats. That's fine but if you want to judge the overall value check around and you will see that a U.S. made Strat holds it's value a heckuva lot better than any Japanese or Mexico Strat. That should tell you something right there.

In order to deal with the Fender Custom shop you need to go through a dealer. I always use Sunset Music in Boise, Idaho. You might think Boise is a curious place for someone to have good ties to Fender but the owner of Sunset used to have several guitar shops in and around L.A. and he knows the master craftsman with Fender very well.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-07-26 16:08 by 1cdog.

Date: July 27, 2007 22:01

Try to get this one:

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: July 27, 2007 23:36

1cdog Wrote:
>
> I think the work coming out of the Fender Custom
> shop overall these days is excellent.

I agree. In fact I think the instruments coming from the custom shops of Fender and Gibson are the best instruments build since the 1950's. As a gigging musician I feel yo don't need to buy vintage and expensive guitars any more.

> I've read here that a person or two likes Japanese
> built Strats. That's fine but if you want to
> judge the overall value check around and you will
> see that a U.S. made Strat holds it's value a
> heckuva lot better than any Japanese or Mexico
> Strat. That should tell you something right
> there.

I don't know if I agree with this statement. A new Japanese strat is something like 800 euros, and second hand they sell for around 550 euros. A custom shop Strat sells new for 3300 euros, and second hand they go fo around 2000 euros. But, this second hand guitar will hold its valu very well. Selling it after ten years it will still bring 2000 euros.

Mathijs

Posted by: Phantom ()
Date: July 27, 2007 23:55

I bought a brand new American Strat (standard American Strat as you seem to call it) and I'm very happy with it. The new Highway One Strats (also US made) seem to be very good guitars too and cheaper than the American Strat but I don't like the mat finish of the Highway Ones.That's a matter of personal taste of course.
Tip: for an extra 300€ you can buy an American Deluxe Strat. They're beautiful guitars and even though i'm very happy with my standard American Strat I kinda regret I didn't buy one of those.

My baby:

Date: July 28, 2007 01:56

That`s a beauty.. I`ve got the Olympic White with maple neck coming!! I`m really psyched!!

Date: July 28, 2007 02:16

King Snake Wrote:
> That`s a beauty.. I`ve got the Olympic White with
> maple neck coming!! I`m really psyched!!

wow, so you pulled the trigger - I'll keep my fingers crossed that it's a keeper.

Posted by: Jed Clever ()
Date: July 28, 2007 02:51

Don't waste your money on anything other than a real U.S. Strat made in the good ole U.S. of freakin' A. Get the real thing-a guitar you can be proud of, and not be wishing in a year that you had not gone the cheap route.

Date: August 6, 2007 17:25

You must have by now, Rep - let's have look at it.

waddya say?

Date: August 6, 2007 17:47

I do indeed and it`s fantastic!! It sounds very clear.. typical Fender twang sound!! I lurv it.. it`s so great to play a guitar with GOOD intonation!!

Date: September 4, 2007 17:56

Once again, thanks for the advice guys, I love playing on it really inspires me to keep playing!!

Picture too:

Date: September 4, 2007 17:59

Yeah, way to go

Date: September 5, 2007 01:03

Yeah, I just love it!! The color is perfect, the tone is incredible.. the whole thing is just perfect.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1334
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home