Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3
Re: Chuck Levell....what a surprise
Posted by: moonchild57 ()
Date: July 17, 2007 21:18

could've happened anywhere. peace, BluzDude I'm not offended.

Posted by: Glam Descendant ()
Date: July 17, 2007 21:20

>Your story is BS. I went to The University of Alabama.

Ditto. There's a lot of Jewish students & faculty at UA.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-07-17 21:22 by Glam Descendant.

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: July 17, 2007 21:23

My story is not BS Glam, it was my experience of what happened in the early 70's, maybe the students I were talking to were full of BS, but don't accuse that of me.

Date: July 17, 2007 21:36

Hey GlamD, were you there when The Chukker was in business? Supposedly, Keith played pool there during their '72 tour appearance at Tuscaloosa? Great little biker bar downtown that supposedly can claim Jimi Hendrix and REM as patrons.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: July 17, 2007 21:42

Probably just pulling someone's leg (joking).

"No Anchovies, Please"

Date: July 17, 2007 21:46

could be elmo, could be. However, there is a scene in CS Blues that does look very familiar. Lots of that footage was shot in the South during the '72 Tour. However, I think there is a black dude in the bar scene. They don't tend to mix well with bikers (or anybody else). Ask Meredith Hunter

Posted by: keith76 ()
Date: July 17, 2007 21:50

chuck levell could play with anybody anytime and sound like hes been in the band for a long time

Posted by: mickschix ()
Date: July 18, 2007 01:19

Mick looks great in that cowboy hat! And paypay obviously never listened to SEALEVEL, that's for sure! I am a huge fan of SEALEVEL and actually have had many emails back and forth with Chuck about his catalog of cds with the Allman Brothers, SEALEVEL and a few other great 70's bands. He was thrilled that anyone that loves the Stones as I do had ever heard of SEALEVEL. My boyfriend even named his band ( from many years ago,) MIDNIGHT PASS after a SEALEVEL tune. Chuck was shocked to here that one! He is a cool guy and truly deserves to be applauded for his long, impressive career.

Date: July 18, 2007 02:12

>My story is not BS Glam, it was my experience of what happened in the early 70's, maybe the students I were talking to were full of BS, but don't accuse that of me.

Slow down killer, I didn't write BS, I was quoting someone. "Ditto" = I was at school there as well. I suspect people took you for being naive and were pulling your leg (even way back then).

>Hey GlamD, were you there when The Chukker was in business? Supposedly, Keith played pool there during their '72 tour appearance at Tuscaloosa? Great little biker bar downtown that supposedly can claim Jimi Hendrix and REM as patrons.

Absolutely. I was there the last night they were open a few years back (and yes, back in '85 I saw all of R.E.M. hanging out there). I've heard the Hendrix story but never met anyone who saw him there (way before my time). Keith & Bobby K. also supposedly went to another Tuscaloosa bar called Harry's; that's the night Harry claims he invented the Alabama Slammer shooter just for them. If you check Bill's ROLLNG WITH THE STONES he confirms that Keith & Bobby hung out in Tuscaloosa an extra day while the rest of the band moved on.

Some of CS BLUES is indeed filmed in Alabama.

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: July 18, 2007 02:28

No problem guys! I took a Xanex, I'm doing fine now.

Date: July 18, 2007 03:01

I did hang out at Chukker some, between '76 and '80, but never fortunate enough to see any "famous" musicians there. Two other great spots in the area that I'm sure you remember GlamD: Egan's and The Oasis in Cottondale. Both still open!!

How's this all relevant to Chuck Leavell?? He's from Tuscaloosa

Posted by: 1cdog ()
Date: July 18, 2007 03:34

pay pay Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I don't like southern rock because of all the
> confederate flags on stage and in the crowd.That
> flag is a symbol of something I truly hate, and
> even if the bands themselves didn't mean anything
> by it, I can't support it. Thats coming from a
> white dude born in Georgia by the way.
>
> I hate Chuck Leavell because he represents Chuck
> Leavell.

Just what bands (plural) are you talking about?

I am curious?

Posted by: 1cdog ()
Date: July 18, 2007 03:41

MarcJ Wrote:
> While i was ripping some old LPs into digital
> files I suddenly noticed that Chuck Levell was in
> the 70' part of the bands like "Sea Level",
> "Allman Brothers Band", "Gregg Allman"...I must
> admit that i have always loved those bands
> bringing some good music extending my music
> horizon...
>
> I do now understand why the Stones have hired him
> since a while to support musically the live
> performances.

MarcJ, I read a book a few months ago that has a bunch of references to Chuck and the various bands that Chuck played in. That book is "Skydog, The Duane Allman Story" by Randy Poe. It's a recent book - came out around Christmas 2006. A really good read that I found very informative not only on Duane but many other musicians including Chuck.

Posted by: pay pay ()
Date: July 18, 2007 14:59

1cdog Wrote:
> Just what bands (plural) are you talking about?
>
> I am curious?

Really any of the southern bands. Southern "rock" as it was known then is what country is today. I don't like country music,in any way, shape or form. Its ok if other people do, but I don't, and thats ok,too. I really don't know enough about the music to speak on the subject, but I do know that Skynard had all these confederate flags on stage and in the audience. Being from the south, I have always hated the way other parts of America thought of southern people: Racist and ignorant. I am neither. Lots of people on IORR are from the south. Elmo is certainly not ignorant or racist, and lots of other folks on here are not either.

When you put that flag in any situation, your asking for trouble, and 9 times out 10, you deserve it.Even if the band that had the flag on the stage is not doing it for racist reasons, the message is still there. People see that thing and a certain image comes to mind. Its an offensive symbol.ANYTHING that evokes images of the KKK should be enough to turn anyones stomach. It does mine.

Date: July 18, 2007 15:01

moonchild57 Wrote:
> So I guess you hated Ronnie when he wore a cowboy
> hat briefly during the Austin concert on Biggest
> Bang? In fact, "Bob wills is still the king" is a
> real treat on BB/Austin I'm pretty sure Mick has
> worn one too when at some point.
>
> "Don't criticize what you don't understand"

No, I don't hate Ronnie Wood because he wore the dreaded cowboy hat. Woody is my #2 hero of all time.

Date: July 18, 2007 15:04

jjflash73 Wrote:
> pay pay
> you are a bore, next topic....

Thats my new signature!

Posted by: capsula ()
Date: July 18, 2007 18:45

Ronnie wood played some songs with a cowboy hat in the b-stage, in el ejido. Pay pay, you should now hate the stones. With an attitude like yours you will probably hate almost everybody (except you, of course) in a few seconds. Try relaxation ...

Date: July 18, 2007 19:39

capsula:

"No, I don't hate Ronnie Wood because he wore the dreaded cowboy hat. Woody is my #2 hero of all time."

Can you not read? Did your dog eat your IORR? My God.....joke around about a cowboy hat and the whole world goes stupid. It clearly says two posts up from your last post that I do not hate Ronnie Wood......are you stuck on dumb? The world is going to hell and people cry about a cowboy hat......I'm going to try relaxation now.......

Posted by: capsula ()
Date: July 19, 2007 01:04

I'm stuck, dumb, stupid, & blind. But still, I recomend you relaxation, and some traveling & reading in order to do something with your "anti" racism.

Date: July 19, 2007 22:03

>Two other great spots in the area that I'm sure you remember GlamD: Egan's and The Oasis in Cottondale. Both still open!!

Since you mentioned it, Egan's was my main watering hole in college.

Stones content: I saw Wayne Perkins play there. He told me a story about hanging out w/Keith at Royal Recording Studio in Memphis when he was recording TALK IS CHEAP.

Posted by: KingBee ()
Date: July 20, 2007 03:25

The only cwboy in RnR is Kinky f+ยง?!%$ Friedman!

Date: July 20, 2007 04:28

Egan's was/is awesome. Frats, Freaks, Hippies, Straights, Gays, Blacks, Whites. The kind of place your parents prayed you didn't go to, but deep down inside, they knew you probably did! T-Town has certainly had some great little spots over the years...

Posted by: michrud ()
Date: July 20, 2007 10:24

pay pay Wrote:
> Those bands suck, so does Chuck.

Are you crazy, man!?! Chuck is awesome...absolutely. The way he works with Keith and Ronnie and the backing section! MAN! Shame on you.

Posted by: jeff14 ()
Date: July 20, 2007 12:09

in a bigger bang, mick is wearing a cowboy hat on disc four....listen to live at the fillmore east...even if you don't like the longer songs you've got statesboro blues, trouble no more, one way out, hot lanta, stormy monday, and don't keep me wondering...these songs could be put aside ya-ya's in terms of pure rock and roll...the allman brothers are about as close to southern rock as the rolling stones are...they still tour every summer, they still play close to two and a half to three hours, you can get an instalive of the show ten minutes after the encore, tix are around fifty dollars, and two of the best guitar players going...there is really no downside...

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2009
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home