Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: OT: Has Air Travel become the latest HAVE/HAVE NOT trend?
Posted by: scenearts ()
Date: August 1, 2007 19:21

Nice thread Helter..here's some experiences related.

I travel a lot through Heathrow, both Pre and Post 9/11. The place is, as Paulywaul says farcical at times. There is no consistency to the place..therefore you never quite know what will befall you at check-in time.

Being very laid back by nature is helpful - it all just becomes funnier the more you see.

Hand baggage tale..

Last time I was there was two days after the Glasgow jeep attack, so they were more jumpy than usual. First up, before the actual security check for hand baggage, you had to put anything 'liquid' into a plastic bag - the security operative says 'lets take a look in the washbag?' I open the washbag and surrender the 'liquids'..'Oh you cant take that he says, putting my de=oderant to one side. Behind hime is a large sign saying 'NOTHING SHARP' etc. I realise I have packed my razor, and so to prevent being carted off, I offer the razor to him for scrutiny...'no that'll be fine'he says. He left me with some Calvin Klein afterhsave and shower gel, plus the razor.

I go through the hand bagage security, and the lady motions me over 'open the bag please?' She see's the razor, and says 'well you cant take that'..She also takes my CK aftershave, saying 'well youre over the limit on what you can take with this so I need to confiscate it..

When I got through security I went to duty free where you buy it all again! But its ok from there as it is considered to be tamper-proof I guess.

I never give these people a hard time (some do) , my attitude is really 'lets all get there safe and sound, and if it takes longer to get through due to the times we live on, then so be it' But you cant help but wonder sometimes if they have any policy at all.

Other negative experiences;

Stuck on the runway twice at Barca (Iberia) for a long time...NO DRINKS OFFERED, on one occasion flight cancelled and carted off to overnight in Hotel for 5:00am start the next day..poor American guy completely flipped his top at this and had to be taken away by security (still ranting about his rights as he went)

Luggage nicked at Milan, never did see it returned (BA) very reluctant to help out in any way.

Worst flight Berlin Tegal to Minsk (Aeroflot) - to bad to be true, Got on Plane, looked for seat, located seat, only to find big Russian Guy occupying it. I motion to the attendent and describe the problem..at which she shrugged her shoulders , and said ''well never mind, but look, hurry up, theres plenty of seats at the back, but be quick, were taking off soon'!

Dislikes

Cheif dislike for me is Loud executive types who need to broadcast to the airport who thay are, where they have been..etc I always seem to be running into these types.

Economy flights you now have to pay for drink and snacks - even if its economy, for the prices you pay the least they can do is thow in a bottle of beer, or a cup of tea!

Right, rant is over, back the BB DVD ..disc 1 Austin tonight!

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1331
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home