Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
A theory: there are two kinds of Stones fans.
Date: July 1, 2007 20:51

In my typically productive fashion, I've been thinking today about a certain divide that exists between Stones fans. (Hey, it's summer, ok? I relish the opportunity to not think of "dead white men" -excepting brian jones - for a few months.)

Thus, the following occured to me: On the one hand, you have the more intellectually-driven fans: those who are also great fans of acts like Bob Dylan. The type of fan who probably prefers say, Dead Flowers to You Got Me Rocking. On the other hand, you have those that like the Stones because they "rock." This type of fan is also likely a great fan of AC/DC. Both classes of fans love the Stones - they just approach them from different directions.

That said, I can't help but think the more "rock" - oriented fans miss out on a great portion of the Stones canon. Most of the Stones' best songs are not out and out "rockers" : consider You Got the Silver, Dead Flowers, Beast of Burden, Worried About You and Indian Girl, just to name a few. Granted, the Stones have done a lot to cement the idea that they primarily "rockers" : their setlists, tragically, feature a paucity of ballads and mid-tempo numbers. (In fact, think about it: it's totally absurd for fast-paced numbers like Ruby Tuesday and Beast of Burden to occupy the ballad spot.)

In conclusion, the Stones rock. But they roll too!

*and i'm just like that bird - singing just for you*

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-07-02 00:46 by the singer not the bong.

Re: A theory: there are two kinds of Stones fans.
Posted by: JordiStones ()
Date: July 1, 2007 21:06

I break your theory.
I love Bob Dylan and AC/DC.
I love The Rolling Stones in all forms.
I love Rock'n'Roll!!!
:-)

Date: July 1, 2007 21:12

I think the two types are:
Die-hard fans who follow their every move and prefer rarities instead of warhorses and Casual Fans who have seen them just a few times LIVE and would be extremely pissed off if they didn't play the warhorses/greatest hits.

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: July 1, 2007 21:14

Two kinds of Stones fans: boys and girls.

Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: July 1, 2007 21:15

I believe there are numerous categories of Stones fans represented on this board. Among them:

Fans who love the music and admire the talent of the musicians who bring it to us. This would include lifelong fans who saw the band early on but also an interesting number of people between 12 and 30, some of whom were encouraged by their parents or siblings to "get into" the Stones. These younger people, and I have spoken to several hundred in the US in Europe, dig the music and the showmanship. They are not over-invested in the Keith's nightly state or Mick's hair.

There are also fans who take a consistent tabloid interest into the band beyond the usual frivolity and amusing joke or fact.

Or see them as a "status symbol." "My boss got us the best seats in the stadium." etc.

Or want to be among the first to predict Stones are "over" or "dead" or "bastards."

I have a friend in Los Angeles, a rock writer, who has freeloaded his way through life seeing every act one can imagine. It is VITAL to his self-image that he see the Stones each time they appear in the LA area. This week it was VITAL that he get in to see Macca at the Amoeba. In all his years of free tickets, paying only when he has to, and all the free records that pay the rent and all the bragging about getting to to see the Stones and eat the buffet backstage he has virtually never mentioned the music.

One of the things I admire about IORR is the high level of intelligence, the genuine appreciation of the music and it's been great to get all those updated posts on the tour this summer virtually as it's happening.

By the way, I don't necessarily knock the Stones for doing a "private party" or the people who pay for it. In show business, how much money you can command, has traditionally been the measure of success. And frankly if I had a spare 5 million I'd happily pay the Stones for a private concert.

I would certainly invite most of you to attend.

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: July 1, 2007 21:24

I'm the kind of fan that loves music...

2 1 2 0

Posted by: Nelson ()
Date: July 1, 2007 21:27

Two kinds right,those whos been using and those who havent. Very obvious the past weeks.

Posted by: Monkeylad ()
Date: July 1, 2007 21:27

Someone should devise a 50-question quiz that would determine what kind of a Stones fan someone is. (Maybe somebody already has come up with a quiz like this.)

Questions might include:

What it the significance of the following dates?
(a) April 23, 1971
(b) December 14, 1981
(c) July 3, 1969
(d) April 28, 2006

(c) is probably pretty easy to figure out. (a) isn't that difficult, either. But the significance of (b) and (d) would probably be tough for anyone but the hardest-core Stones fan to answer.

Anyhow, this quiz would be modeled along the lines of those quizzes in Cosmo that help women determine how great their husbands or boyfriends are in bed.

Posted by: stone-relics ()
Date: July 1, 2007 21:28

Yep, two kinds.

Starstruck
Real

My two cents, now I will go back to Listening to my Jamaican Let IT Bleed.

JR

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-07-01 21:30 by stone-relics.

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: July 1, 2007 21:31

some of us love the Stones as well as loving the music.
some of us don't.

Posted by: angee ()
Date: July 1, 2007 21:39

I think NumberOneStonesFan is closer than anyone, if we have two types only:
diehards and casual fans.

However, thesingernotthebong, you have something there in a way in that certainly some people who prefer certain types of music or lyrics might have a bigger appreciation for heavier or deeper songs. And then again, as stated, some of those like at least some of the real rockers too.

Posted by: flowerchild ()
Date: July 1, 2007 21:43

In terms of the musical aspect, I love the diversity the stones have on two levels. I usually look at four different eras of the stones, brian jones era (62-66), pyschadelic era (66-67), classic era (68-73) and Ronnie wood era (74-present) and can appreciate each era for its own attributes even though they might be completely different from another era. For example: I LOVE listening to Mick Taylors solos 69-73 on virtually any song, but I also love Keith and Ronnie's playing on something like Out of Control (live), Saint of Me or Slave. Also, I love the 'intellectual' nature of Sympathy for the Devil or Jigsaw puzzle off of BB, but I can also love and appreciate just as much a pop-rock song from earlier such as the last time or let's spend the night together.
On another level, I love how the stones can bring together such varying styles together, even on one album. I think they've drifted away from this in earlier years with everything on ABB sounding essentially the same.

Being a younger fan (18), I haven't had the chance to follow the stones through the years and go to the classic tours and all that, so I have to rely on a more historical approach. I really enjoy the history of the stones, wether it be listening to old unreleased tracks or reading about swinging london or really anything from the stones past.

Posted by: RollingStonesFan ()
Date: July 1, 2007 21:54

I'm too drunk and dissapointed to interpret this thread...I'll answer tomorrow!

Posted by: ig ()
Date: July 1, 2007 21:55

I love ALL the Stones music. I also love all the music that influenced them and the more recent music they've been looking to. I love gregorian chants, Bach, Mozart, big bands from the 40's, brass bands from the Southeast Europe, Philip Glass, female voices from Bulgaria, folklore from everywhere, incluing Japanese drums or any kind of really strange stuff, pop hits, dance music from all over the world, and rock music in general (I can even pay attention to a trash metal song)... I have my favourites, of course. I´m going to have a look at my records collection and see who comes in second. Perhaps Marianne Faithfull or Tom Waits... And think i'm going to by the new one from White Stripes.

So, for me, the Stones are a whole world of music! But I can understand those who are only into You Got Me Rocking or Dead Flowers.

Posted by: phd ()
Date: July 1, 2007 21:58

They are those who know the second part of the setlist and those who know the whole setlist.

Posted by: HighwireC ()
Date: July 1, 2007 22:01

Think there are thausands of different kind of fans.

And I almost like them all.

But not the very few ones, who only know their own sight and who wanted to tell us, all the others are wrong.

Stones is Rock, Blues, Ballades, Country, Folk, Reggae, Salsa, African Drums, Calypso, some small Walz, too, aso.

Very much black tribal influences, more than old fashion european music, so I like them very much, because they are "a little different".

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: July 1, 2007 22:12

2 types of fans - living and dead

Re: quiz

My guesses

a. Release of Sticky Fingers?
b. Last gig of 1981 tour?
c. Brian death?
d. Coconut tree?

"No Anchovies, Please"

Posted by: cirrhosis ()
Date: July 1, 2007 22:13

-

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-12-31 03:44 by cirrhosis.

Date: July 1, 2007 22:14

psst Elmo Lewis!

>> b. Last gig of 1981 tour? <<

Kansas City. Mick T joined them.

Date: July 1, 2007 22:17

Thanks, sssoul.

"No Anchovies, Please"

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: July 1, 2007 22:18

Well,I like Dead Flowers and Ac-Dc. Midnight Rambler and Sweet Virginia. Hard,soft,fast,slow. As long as it's a good Stones song. I like it.

"It's just some friends of mine and they're busting down the door"

Posted by: Monkeylad ()
Date: July 1, 2007 22:27

Elmo and sssoul are correct. Except album release dates tend to vary, depending on where in the world you are, so it may not be fair to pose quiz questions like that.

I'm bracing myself for being corrected on the coconut tree date. I went by the date of a news report and then backdated by one day. The fall is somewhat shrouded in mystery, isn't it? I know that I am still waiting for the Zapruder film of the accident to surface on YouTube.

As a Stones quiz-creator, I'm a juiced up and sloppy wreck.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2007-07-01 22:28 by Monkeylad.

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: July 1, 2007 22:29

I can see the reasoning behind most of the theories postulated above.
The only trouble is..I seem to be EVERY kind of fan that's been described...depending on what day it is and whether or not I have my critical head on.

Date: July 1, 2007 22:32

>> I went by the date of a news report and then backdated by one day <<

did you take the international date line into account?
i think the news broke the day it happened, but what day that was anywhere else in the world is anybody's guess. :E

Date: July 1, 2007 22:48

Ya see, I could go back and edit my post so that all of my answers were perfect (Revisionist history?) - but alas I'm an "Honest Man".

"No Anchovies, Please"

Date: July 1, 2007 22:49

sweetcharmedlife Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Well,I like Dead Flowers and Ac-Dc. Midnight
> Rambler and Sweet Virginia. Hard,soft,fast,slow.
> As long as it's a good Stones song. I like it.

maybe you and i arent so different after all! (ok, ill let the acdc thing slide)

Posted by: LA FORUM ()
Date: July 1, 2007 22:50

I dont know what group for me but it aint the "football team" fan group.

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: July 1, 2007 22:51

I'm not sure that a good memory for dates ot trivia has much to do with how a good a fan you are either ;^)

Date: July 1, 2007 22:52

Spud Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I'm not sure that a good memory for dates ot
> trivia has much to do with how a good a fan you
> are either ;^)

agreed - hell, the band members themselves would probably fail the quiz!

Re: all kinds of Stones fans.
Date: July 1, 2007 23:50

>> the band members themselves would probably fail the quiz! <<

mercy - i would hope so!

(yet another classifier would be: fans who have nzentgraf.de bookmarked and fans who don't :E)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-07-02 00:46 by with sssoul.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1352
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home