Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: The Austin Show On 'The Biggest Bang' Is The Greateat Rolling Stones Show Of All-Time....
Posted by: Raoul Duke ()
Date: July 2, 2007 19:49

I would hesitate to call this show "the best of all time" because I believe there is little sense in comparing today's performances with those in the 1980s, 1970s, or 1960s. Most tours have a very distinctive sound and tempo, so they are not really all that comparable.

I do, however, love the show. I understand the point of view of those who claim that the massive overdubbing makes it less of a show and more of a studio recording. But to be honest it makes little difference to me whether those vocals and licks come from the performance or the studio. It just sounds beautiful. And, contrary to some previous live recordings (i.e., Flashpoint), the overdubs are masterful and add to (as opposed to detract from) what was by all accounts a pretty magical performance to begin with.

Re: The Austin Show On 'The Biggest Bang' Is The Greateat Rolling Stones Show Of All-Time....
Posted by: PiotrRSpl ()
Date: July 2, 2007 19:54

WOW - what a great post, Jack Knife !!

I wanna see this Bigger Bang and damn it's not available here at all

but it sounds so fcuking tempting !

"Stones are still looking for the Stones" as Keith used to say
they still can get better smiling smiley or different grinning smiley
a jazzy tone in Satisfaction? why not ? tongue sticking out smiley

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: July 2, 2007 19:55

the last show I was at was on that tour around the same time. The sound was very good. So there didnt need to be that much dubbing, and what dubbing there was didnt change it that much, It pretty much sounded like that if you were there.

Posted by: harlito1969 ()
Date: July 2, 2007 19:58

Out of the 9 Stones shows that I have seen the Austin show was the best. It was an all around good time.
I've seen them in 2 odd venues - Zilker Park and Texas Motor Speedway. Both of these venues were very different then the arena-stadium-field that the Stones usually play in. The b-stage in Fort Worth was right up against a 10' chain link fence and Zilker Park was... well, a city park. But the Stones shined at both shows and just shows that no matter what the venue is the Stones are going to deliver and put on a great show.
I can't really say if Austin was the best sounding Stones show but I noticed early on that they were playing better than usual and that Ronnie was alive and kicking that night. The song selection was incredible though.

Posted by: monkeyman07 ()
Date: July 2, 2007 20:16

Every show is the greatest show in fact....

wipeacdc@hotmail.com
never too old or young to rocknroll!!!!!!

Posted by: Wuudy ()
Date: July 2, 2007 20:24

Thanks, Gazza.

Cheers,
Wuudy

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: July 2, 2007 20:29

monkeyman07 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Every show is the greatest show in fact....

thats what they do. They make it so that youre totally caught up in the moment and you forget about everything before and you think "this is the best". it never fails.

Posted by: Jack Knife ()
Date: July 2, 2007 20:58

Now you guys know that when I say "of all-time," 'tis hyberbole. Certainly I haven't seen every show they've ever performed. I just mean of the shows I've seen...and that includes 'Ladies & Gentlemen, The Rolling Stones' which I have on DVD with terrific sound (a friend got a bootleg copy for me from a street vendor in...Mosul, Iraq....!? The sound is amazing...the picture is surprisingly clear and sharp...however, it is a little dark in some spots).

Posted by: melillo ()
Date: July 2, 2007 23:33

austin was a great show, ronnie was smokin on sway and keith was amazing on learning the game, as far as the rio midnight rambler , yes it was excellent
but my favorite rambler from the vegas era stones is by far the HBO version

Posted by: keith76 ()
Date: July 2, 2007 23:42

it was filmed so good it made u feel like u were there---i agree one of the best concerts ever--makes u wonder what the beacon shows movie will be like

Posted by: KWhinos ()
Date: July 3, 2007 00:03

Im with you guys, This is the best show I have ever seen or watched

My Blog
[stonesrockforever.blogspot.com]

Posted by: svendborg ()
Date: July 3, 2007 00:12

KWhinos Wrote:
> Im with you guys, This is the best show I have
> ever seen or watched

I totally agree...what a great great show...great pictures...fantastic sound. I'm glad that I didn't wait for the release in Europe :-)

Posted by: Nelson ()
Date: July 3, 2007 01:01

I vote for Keith in Ladies and Gentlemen. Thats whats its all about.

Posted by: texas fan ()
Date: July 3, 2007 02:38

Gazza Wrote:
> drbryant Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Can someone confirm -- what level of overdubs,
> a
> > lot?
> >
>
> there appear to be quite a few in the second part
> of the show, from the b-stage onwards

As I've said before, I was there. Of course, that doesn't mean I remember everything, but for what it's worth...

After watching it a couple of times with headphones and trying my best to remember the show,I think the instrumental edits and/or overdubs are minimal -- there are 3 or 4 songs that I think might have been touched up.

Everyone seems to be in agreement that there are extensive vocal overdubs, especially in the last half of the show...That may be -- they sure sound good, studio-ish even, in places...I don't remember noticing any mistakes (or even weak efforts) that night, but Jagger has in the past overdubbed vocals when I thought the original live track was fine, so...

Posted by: J.J.Flash ()
Date: July 3, 2007 02:55

Wood better than Taylor on Sway? well, I saw it twice live this tour and Wood didn't play anything but rambling jumbled notes. It was as if he was playing a different song or something.

Posted by: tomcat2006 ()
Date: July 3, 2007 04:47

I'm not sure I can say it's the best RS concert of all time, not having seen them all clearly, but I can say that it's my fave commercially available show live - I just watched it again - absof*ckinlutely SUPERB. That Jagger's a machine!

It even beats out my previous fave (Voodoo Lounge: Giants Stadium) into second place, and that's saying something!

My advice: Buy the Biggest Bang DVD, turn it up loud and enjoy. On a good day, they're still the greatest!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: James Lynn ()
Date: July 3, 2007 05:53

The Austin show is splendid indeed! I love that Learning The game. The old wizard like a minstrel in gallery. Thats one of the best things he's ever done I think. She's so cold was "in your face"! Bob Willis is Still the King very cool. My favorite official release by far! Ronnie was very very good! & yes Mick is a machine. He defies age & time. I love The Rolling Stones!!!!!! MEZ

Posted by: COUSINLOU ()
Date: July 5, 2007 17:46

Jack Knife,
"Learning the Game" is awesome! I agree that it is worth the price of the set.
I just kept playing that song over and over again. Keith ripping through those opening chords is pure heaven.

Posted by: chippydodo ()
Date: July 5, 2007 20:19

Austin is great but the highlight of the DVD is Satisfaction from River Plate

Date: July 5, 2007 20:38

Now I'm real curious about this DVD...

A friend of mine attended the Austin show and he said "It was really good and I had a lot of fun"...

I had no inclination he attended the greatest (or one of the greatest) Stones live performances ever....

I will pass that on to him (Dave).

Posted by: Shine A Light ()
Date: July 5, 2007 20:48

I was onstage at the Austin show and it was fantastic. Plus i had 8th row seats at Dodger Stadium and is was great too. Both were exceptional concerts; yet different in their own ways.

The DVD was excellent...

I think everyone that sees the Stones in concert is partial to the concert that they attended. I like them all!!

Looking forward to 6 concerts in Europe in August. Passport is ready...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-07-05 20:48 by Shine A Light.

Posted by: MICK_JAGGER ()
Date: July 5, 2007 21:17

Austin..is amazing...perfectly shot, (no close ups of jagger but its understandable, he moves around so much they wouldnt be able to get him in the frame for more than a fraction of a second)

I hated Aint Too Proud to Beg...but when i saw them perform it on this dvd..it now made me love it, its great! love how mick sung "with NOoOo sense of pride"

The Stage..light show..crowd all fantastic, music is amazing (MR,GS wouldve been great additions to the set though)the crowd is a bit weird sometimes...randoms dancing in little spots of grass with nobody else around them...seems like in the middle of nowhere WAYYYY at the back..kinda odd...

I am very upset they cut Bitch, SMU, and YCAGWYW, they wouldve been beautiful, just watching SMU on youtube, it was a fantastic version! same with listening to bitch at the austin dvd credits! darn..sad smiley

AS FOR OVERDUBBS- this is what i noticed on many repeat watchings:
1)LSTNT..."describe" is switched with "disguise" or vice-versa
2)Tumblin Dice..mick parts are overdubbed..he ususally never sings that high
3)UMT.. guitar riff? is it fake? i cant tell if ronnies playing it,keith def. isnt
4)GOMC...chorus- HEY and YOU that mick sings overdubbed and super high! holy moly
5)SFTD...mick parts near end
6)JJF...micks singing parts are overdubbed
7)Satisfaction..micks singing overdubbed whole way through, worst song in the set my oppinion badddd, totally obvious, his studio "growl"is constant, bad lighting(should be the white or yellow standard lighting for satisfaction)

HIGHLIGHTS:
1)Opening is fantastic, powerful, best opening yet of a dvd
2)YGMR, great opener
3)LSTNT, lovely, amazing last notes by the jag
4)SSC, perfect mix of guitars, mick is king
5)TD..best one ive seen, great lightshow mick and keith excellent
6)Keiths set, LTG is great, excellent version and vocals by keith, he should do it more ofen! T&A very powerful better than 1981, messed the words a bit haha, good ol keith, and awesome when keith just plays the really low notes for a second while everyone else is stopped when he says "right, lets kick it down boys"
7)UMT..toooooo coool, great riff!! excellent version, amazing
8)SFTD...what can i say, dark, evil, good solos, jagger going nuts
9)JJF..my alltime fav stones song, wish he didnt overdubb singing though
10)BS great finale!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-07-05 21:25 by MICK_JAGGER.

Posted by: poundin pete ()
Date: July 6, 2007 01:25

stoneskris Wrote:
> I too was at The Austin, Texas Show in Zilker Park
> and have seen the DVD. I was front row Keith's
> side and I am on the dvd and can honestly say it
> was the very best show I have seen in my life!
> That was show number 24 for me starting in 1978
> and my seventh show this tour. Them boys were on
> fire all night and with a slight gleem in their
> eyes, they knew it too! God Bless The Rolling
> Stones for doing what they continue to do, giving
> all of us one hell of a show after another. Is it
> their best performance of all time? It was for
> me! To each his own! Kris

Zilker park was the best show for me. Seen 11 Stones shows, and my buddy said it was in his Top 3 of 31 he's attended. When we bought tickets, we knew the Stones would either tear ass or not too good. But, when we arrived @ Zilker and found out it was being filmed, we thought it would be a good show.

Also, we were down in front of Keith. My buddy and his family on 2nd row, I was maybe 4th row back.

It was a special night, and I am glad I went. Will never forget it.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: July 6, 2007 01:28

Was the audience as young and beautiful as the selective crowd shots would have you believe? LOL

Posted by: Justin ()
Date: July 6, 2007 02:51

"Tumblin' Dice" from Austin is indeed great. Obviously edited--making it slimmer and shorter...definitely what that song needs actually.

Posted by: texas fan ()
Date: July 6, 2007 03:02

Gazza Wrote:
> Was the audience as young and beautiful as the
> selective crowd shots would have you believe? LOL

No, Gazza. There were lots of young people, but many more older...a fairly normal Stones crowd--maybe a bit younger as this is a college town...

Posted by: deadegad ()
Date: July 6, 2007 03:04

Jack Knife Wrote:
> > --overdubs or not--

Posted by: rattler2004 ()
Date: July 6, 2007 04:16

Gazza Wrote:
> Was the audience as young and beautiful as the
> selective crowd shots would have you believe? LOL

Yes...my guess is because of the many students from the University of Texas that went to the show.

the shoot 'em dead, brainbell jangler!

Posted by: ifyacantrockme ()
Date: July 6, 2007 05:10

i bought the saitamo bootleg while visiting berlin recently. it's excellent overall. doesn't appear to have any overdubs either. why would the stones not release this then and go with the heavy dubbed Austin show? it just doesn't make any sense to redo the whole show in the studio when you've already got a great one on tape.

Posted by: poundin pete ()
Date: July 6, 2007 05:52

rattler2004 Wrote:
> Gazza Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Was the audience as young and beautiful as the
> > selective crowd shots would have you believe?
> LOL
>
>
> Yes...my guess is because of the many students
> from the University of Texas that went to the
> show.

I lived in the Austin and Lake Travis area for 14 years, and believe me, the hottest babes anywhere are there. Not only was there UT students, but people from all over. I met babes from Texas A&M University in College Station,( I'm a Former Student, so is my buddy that went ), and Texas Tech, which is in Lubbock, a good drive away.

When I spoke with my buddy after Biggest Bang came out, he said the salesperson @ Best Buy in College Station told him several buyers said they went to the concert. I now live 95 miles north of Austin, and I have heard the same thing about people from here. One guy I work with went, which I didn't know he was going, he sat in the bleachers, and had a great time.

BTW, there is tons of hotter Austin babes than what is on the DVD.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1647
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home