Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

R.I.P. Rod Beck
Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: June 25, 2007 01:06

I just heard that one of my favorite former San Francisco Giants baseball players, Rod Beck just died. Only 38,no cause of death has been released yet. This guy was quite a character back in the day. Long hair,bushy moustache,would stare in at the catcher and swing his arm back and forth........Rest in peace Shooter.

Re: R.I.P. Rod Beck
Posted by: dougie ()
Date: June 25, 2007 01:46

I've been a big Giants fan since I was a baby. He brought a lot of passion and character to the game. When he won a game, I loved to see his emotions. God Bless him and his family.

Posted by: Lukester ()
Date: June 25, 2007 01:53

...I've seen him pitch a few times.....he was intense....jeez....and died way too young....

Posted by: Bingo ()
Date: June 25, 2007 02:14

It's just that demon life has got you in its sway.

That's to bad, he seemed like a nice person...great Pitcher. He was battling his demons, I guess the demons won.

RIP Shooter

Posted by: Pedro99 ()
Date: June 25, 2007 02:44

He was one of the worst relievers in Red Sox History. However, I hope he Rest in Peace.

Date: June 25, 2007 03:29

Bingo Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> It's just that demon life has got you in its
> sway.
>
>
> That's to bad, he seemed like a nice
> person...great Pitcher. He was battling his
> demons, I guess the demons won.
>
>
> RIP Shooter

Yeah Bingo,I think your right. The demons got the better of him. Oh well maybe God needed a closer.

Posted by: gibb76 ()
Date: June 25, 2007 03:54

I saw him pitch in Montreal in 1997 or 98. On the Giants that year was Bonds and Deion Sanders. He came in and closed the game. Over powering. A shame and out of the game way too young. I have good memories of him pitching.

Posted by: chelskeith ()
Date: June 25, 2007 08:24

After playing for the Cubs, no one wanted him. He signed to play in the minors and he lived in a motor home he parked in the parking lot of the minor league stadium and fans would stop by after the game for an autograpph and they'd end up staying for beers, making him a local cult hero I heard.

John

Date: June 25, 2007 10:18

looked like a 70s rocker. unfortunately he also died like one.

rip

*and i'm just like that bird - singing just for you*

Posted by: Cardinal Fang ()
Date: June 25, 2007 19:21

I'm sorry to hear this. I hung out with Rod in April 1996 in Scotsdale AZ at the Giants spring training. Great guy. I said to him once, "I assume you probably pitched at your High School? Dude, you HAD to have scared the shit out of most of the other high school kids you pitched to, right?" He laughed, lit up a smoke, and told me he's been huge since about 8th or 9th grade. I then said, shit, you probably scared some of the coaches too! It sort of amazed me that a pro baseball player would be smoking. He told me, "I don't have to run fast, just pitch fast". I'm almost certain I have video tape of him and I talking after a game, gonna have to go look around for that and think of Rod.

Posted by: rooster ()
Date: June 25, 2007 19:24

When i saw this thread yesterday i was shocked i thought Rod Stewart and Jeff Beck died....well i dont know this guy...but its sad anyway.

Date: June 25, 2007 19:28

he was a real rock n roller:

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: June 25, 2007 19:32

it was indeed sad news for Giants fans yesterday....there's a case that can be made that Rod was the best closer in baseball during a six-year stretch when he had more saves than anyone else in the game....

Date: June 25, 2007 19:34

yep, but it was nerve-wracking every time. he'd have two men on with two outs . . . three balls (i wonder what that sounds like to our eurofriends) . . . and then finally get him out.

i suspect he caused many heart attacks throughout the bay area

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-06-25 19:34 by the singer not the bong.

Posted by: rsk45 ()
Date: June 25, 2007 20:43

got to see him here in Chicago-always gave it his all.

Date: June 26, 2007 04:48

the singer not the bong Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> he was a real rock n roller:
>
> [www.homeruncards.com]

Hey Bongster,thanks for posting the Shooter's baseball card. Nice touch man.grinning smiley

"It's just some friends of mine and they're busting down the door"

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2102
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home