Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Ronnie's solos on CYHMK on the ABB Tour (Europe '07)
Posted by: Lorenz ()
Date: June 18, 2007 22:01

If you read the reviews, Ronnie always (or mostly) gets mentioned for his focused and good playing on the European tour so far. I've downloaded the Wercher, Nijmegen and Paris (best one) shows and especially his solo on CYHMK seems to confirm that he is in great shape at the moment!

I put two of his solos together in one file (Nijmegen and Paris) and it's a pleasure to listen to them! Those solos are really excellent, they are well structured and one can hear that Ronnie really thought about what and how to play them! Give it a listen and tell me what you think about it!

[www.gigasize.com]

Belgrade-Bucharest-Budapest-Brno

Re: Ronnie's solos on CYHMK on the ABB Tour (Europe '07)
Posted by: stoneswashed77 ()
Date: June 18, 2007 22:10

maybe it´s a little off topic, but does anybody know which effect ronnie uses during the solo?

Date: June 18, 2007 22:49

Bump.
I want people to hear it!

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: June 19, 2007 00:32

At least his sound is much better. It's not the totally over the top distorted feedbacking hard rock sound from the last tour. Wood's playing still isn't overly exciting to me, but it is much better than a year ago.

Mathijs

Posted by: stoneswashed77 ()
Date: June 19, 2007 00:34

i just love that strat sound so much, i would prefer it any time over a gibson.
the original mick t. solo is an exception here. but what ronnie plays isn´t thought as a copy i think. but i like his style very much.

Date: June 19, 2007 00:41

It's something were I personally would say it's a good solo. And I wouldn't have said that for most of Ronnie's solos from last year... It's definitely not the case anymore that we think he had lost his chops or something. Now if Keith is really playing better again, I'm really looking forward to the concerts very much smiling smiley

Belgrade-Bucharest-Budapest-Brno

Posted by: mcparty ()
Date: June 19, 2007 01:21

These solo's sound really good - they have a lot more feeling to them - perhaps he's been practicing! ;-)

Interesting to note that the tone of guitar sounds a lot richer.

Posted by: Britney ()
Date: June 19, 2007 01:28

Well the playing is definitely more focussed. And he's looking great too. Now if Keith finally gets his chops together again then we're in for some magic.

Posted by: marcovandereijk ()
Date: June 19, 2007 11:33

Is the Paris solo the second one in this file?

I think Ronnie is having one of his moments of brilliance here. Not only does he start on a subtile note, but the way he works towards the climax is one of the finest ever to come from his hands. Gotta love the man!

Posted by: Wild Slivovitz ()
Date: June 19, 2007 11:44

No need for me to listen to it... I was in Paris, and to me it's difficult to forget HOW GOOD the solo actually was! Go Ronnie!!!

Posted by: terraplane ()
Date: June 19, 2007 12:23

I listened to this. It only sounds like a variation on the original solo created by Mick Taylor.

Posted by: skelly ()
Date: June 19, 2007 12:24

I'd love to hear him solo on SFTD.

It'll never hapen though.

I think I've bust a button on my trousers....

Posted by: Markdog ()
Date: June 19, 2007 15:49

Thanks for putting this together Lorenz

Great solo's by Ronnie especially the 2nd one. I truely did not think Ronnie could play like that anymore especially at 60 years old.

Awesome stuff, cheers to Ronnie.

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: June 19, 2007 16:50

Markdog Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>
> Great solo's by Ronnie especially the 2nd one. I
> truely did not think Ronnie could play like that
> anymore especially at 60 years old.
>

Actually Ronnie has been playing very well lately, in particular his rhythm work.

C

Posted by: The Stones ()
Date: June 19, 2007 17:20

Great posting Lorenz. The solo from the Paris gig is as good as I remember from hearing it live at Stade de France.
It's great that Ronnie is focused om his guitar playing again.

Posted by: drbryant ()
Date: June 19, 2007 17:48

Seeing Ronnie at Stade de France, it's a completely different attitude from what we saw during the 1st half of the tour. Basically, Ronnie was more into posing -- perfect example is at Saitama, where he plays his solo while running around the perimeter of the B-Stage. Yeah, it's fun to watch, but he'll never play a very good solo while running around. I thought that Ronnie really picked it up once they got to Europe last summer (perhaps the reason being that he knew he had to support Keith on some nights?).

On CYHMK and on most numbers at Paris, he was focused, looking down at his guitar or closing his eyes and feeling it during the solos. End result -- better playing.

Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: June 19, 2007 21:06

I have heard two Europe 2007 Ronnie solos on CYHMK so far, Isle of wight and Paris SDF. IOW was very very good, certainly as compared to previous legs of the ABB tour, but from the very first note you knew that what was coming up in Paris SDF was going to be special ... and indeed it was.

Posted by: OpenG ()
Date: June 19, 2007 21:10

woody tends to copy the studio versions and afraid to really improvise .

problem is you can,t touch Mick taylor.s solos on Love in Vain, CYHMK and sway and All down The Line and all the rest

play that guitar boy

Date: June 19, 2007 21:12

OpenG Wrote:
> woody tends to copy the studio versions and afraid
> to really improvise .
>
> problem is you can,t touch Mick taylor.s solos on
> Love in Vain, CYHMK and sway and All down The Line
> and all the rest
>
> play that guitar boy

I don't care what he does as long as it sounds good. And he's doing a very good job grinning smiley

Posted by: Turd On The Run ()
Date: June 19, 2007 22:51

Ronnie smokes this one. Good to hear. Thanks so much for the audio proof. Yea...the solo is derivative and Woody can't touch Taylor's masterpiece...but he does a very passionate version of the original here with a few of his own touches...and it sounds wonderful. Bravo, Woody. Keep it up, boy!

Posted by: sjs12 ()
Date: June 19, 2007 23:49

I didn't experience SDF but he sure smoked at IOW. I wish I'd been in Paris but funds are limited..

Posted by: john r ()
Date: June 20, 2007 01:56

RE You Can't Touch MT's Love In Vain...Well, I hear a very different stylist (in RW, except when he's f***ked up) from MT, and for a further contrast check the splendid 8 minute Faces version or the (less subtle, raunchier) Nerw Barrbs version.

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: June 20, 2007 02:37

Well, it's actually Woody's first CYHMK solo where I don't miss Taylor!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-06-20 02:38 by retired_dog.

Posted by: Justin ()
Date: June 20, 2007 02:44

OpenG Wrote:
> woody tends to copy the studio versions and afraid
> to really improvise .
>
> problem is you can,t touch Mick taylor.s solos on
> Love in Vain, CYHMK and sway and All down The Line
> and all the rest
>
> play that guitar boy

I think he HAS to copy the solos. The songs you mentioned especially,have very distinctive solos that a lot of people remember and are staples to the song as much as the opening riff is. CYHMK, Ronnie takes the liberty to expand from the solo that Taylor has put down. He adds his own licks here and there but keeps about 75% of the original solo.

Fans definitely expect it. The beginning of his solos when he slips into it and a couple licks throughout the solo perk our ears up because we've all listened to the song so much we could probably hum the solo perfectly along with the recording. This version posted above Ronnie plays a lick that is directly of Taylor's which I've never heard him do and the crowd goes wild...because the recognize that sound.

For CYHMK, Taylor or not...you almost HAVE to use the original solo as a foundation.

Posted by: sjs12 ()
Date: June 20, 2007 18:39

Why do people imagine that a solo needs to be improvised from scratch each time it is played?

The solos on Sway and CYHMK are a combination of particular repeated licks with some embelishement and improvisation added in - and I'm talking about the originals here - not the RW versions alone. Do you not think that MT sat working out specific hooks and lines that sounded really good?

Even listening to MT's 72/73 solos for songs like YCAGWYW, you can hear that he takes a theme and developes it each performance, making it better and better each night. If you then listen to the solo on winter then you'll know where he got that one from!

The Stones are not an avant garde jaxx band but rock n roll.

RW will never be technically the same guitarist as MT, but the recent performances of CYHMK from 07 tour prove that he is still a great guitarist none the less. We all thought a few years ago that we would never again see the ROnnie we all know existed from his work in the Faces, but here he is in one of the greatest comebacks ever! How can you go from not even being able to play the simple solo to SMU 4 years ago (Licks Europe) to being able to pull off a fine impression of one of the greatest guitar solos ever?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1891
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home