Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Buried Alive: Live In Maryland by New Barbarians
Posted by: Turner ()
Date: June 14, 2007 06:58

If this was an earlier topic, forgive me please...Has anyone heard this official release? How does it compare to the boot? Much better?

Re: Buried Alive: Live In Maryland by New Barbarians
Posted by: Raoul Duke ()
Date: June 14, 2007 07:11

I have it. I think it's pretty horrible actually.

Posted by: Child Of Clay ()
Date: June 14, 2007 08:18

out of tune and out of breath singing, pointlessly extended versions and Jumping Jack Flash in totally different (much, much worse) sound than the rest of the CD. I'd say "completists only".
I love Ronnie's solo stuff but haven't played this more than twice. Major dissapointment.

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: June 14, 2007 09:16

it sounds great! JJF *is* clearly from an inferior source, but the rest of it sounds freakin *fine*.
i hadn't realized i have the bootleg nearly memorized, so a few of the decisions to edit stuff between numbers
were a bit jarring at first, and it's a bit weird that the guitars are occasionally mixed low to bring out the vocals -
that's not what Barbarian guitars are for! - but those are totally minor points compared with
how great it sounds. in other words: don't let "i own the bootleg" stop you - it's a fine release.

i freakin love the New Barbarians :E

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-06-14 09:20 by with sssoul.

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: June 14, 2007 15:18

I own this show four times: the pro-edit VHS dupe, the Swingin' Pig boot, the first Wooden Records release with Woody on the cover, and the second Wooden Records release with Woody and Keith on the cover. Obviously, I like the show a lot.

Date: June 14, 2007 16:10

Sounds like it's an untouched bootleg release gone official...

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: June 14, 2007 16:12

DandelionPowderman Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Sounds like it's an untouched bootleg release gone
> official...

Different mix. Same thing happened with Dylans Live 1966...and it doesn't worry me. The Kilburn DVD release will be a knock-out

Date: June 14, 2007 16:13

nope! it's been remixed. and as i noted above, it sounds *great*

Date: June 14, 2007 16:13

<Different mix>

From the reels or with the wav-files? My guess is the latter, from the excerpts I've heard.

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: June 14, 2007 18:18

The differences between Swingin' Pig's boot and Wooden Records' official release is slight, but still noticeable. Its more a question of integrity. I justify owning bootlegs because the stuff isn't available officially. When it comes out officially and fans don't buy it cause they already have it, we're sending the wrong message to the artist and label and opening all kinds of cans of worms.

Date: June 14, 2007 18:22

>> When it comes out officially and fans don't buy it cause they already have it,
we're sending the wrong message to the artist and label <<

absolutely.

-----`-----------<@
------,---------<@
-------,---------<@

roses for Rocky Dijon, whether you ain't got none or not

Posted by: john r ()
Date: June 16, 2007 01:22

Credit within booklet "mastered by Patrick Bird (2006)"
It's a big sloppy funk/rock'n'roll band, perhaps not the best show of the tour, but intense and powerful much of the time. Would have made a fantastic 78 minute single cd. Ron's coke-stoked vocals are not his best (i.e. 'Ooh La La', Not For Beginners, Now Look), and he knows (the '93 tour with Bernard, collabs with Bobby Womack or R. Lane, guest singers such as Mick, Rod, Andrea Corr, etc) he shouldn't carry a whole show vocally. Other minuses, Some songs the sounds is too muddy or the playing too sloppy, and the tour was drenched in alcohol & drugs.
BUT how can one resist the deeply Dubadelic "Am I Grooving You"? It's truly amazing. And followed by a ferocious "7 Days"... not to mention a long, passionate 'Breathe On Me"...And splendid takes of Keith singing 'Let's Go Steady', 'Apartment # 9' (KR piano, Mac organ), 'Worried Life Blues', 'Sure The One You Need' and Ron's resurrection of 'Rock Me' from the Beck Group days...

Date: June 16, 2007 01:33

It´s a fun show, but why release it in the same shitty quality???

Posted by: farawayeyes2 ()
Date: June 16, 2007 03:13

The New Barbarians are the sloppiest band who ever walked the Earth, sloppy playing, even worse singing. Absolutely great.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-06-16 03:15 by farawayeyes2.

Posted by: john r ()
Date: June 16, 2007 03:17

If you like the Heartbreakers live albums (Johnny Thunders', natch), The Barbs should not disappoint...

Date: June 16, 2007 13:28

>> It´s a fun show, but why release it in the same shitty quality??? <<

it's not the same, dear, it's been remixed and it sounds great.
my only real objection is to one of the edits of the between-numbers banter -
they cut a truly beautiful remark from Mac, and leaving Ronnie's reply to it makes no sense.
(i have a theory about why that was done, but ... hmp, never mind!)

Date: June 16, 2007 14:43

I heard some snippets of most of the songs, but maybe my shitty computer speakers tricked, because it sounded very similar to the TSP release in my ears. But if you say so, I will buy it (probably would have anyway smiling smiley )

Date: June 16, 2007 14:56

>> if you say so, I will buy it <<

smile: yeah, please do!
i don't know if my Largo bootleg is a copy of the TSP version or not, but the official release truly does sound great.
besides which, as Rocky Dijon pointed out above, if any of us ever agitate for any big ol' band to release stuff from the vaults,
it would behoove us to demonstrate that we seriously mean to buy those releases.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2368
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home