Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3
Re: Shine A Light
Posted by: CousinC ()
Date: August 2, 2014 13:56

Beelyboy . . .

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: August 2, 2014 14:07

RollingFreak
I know there are a lot of mistakes on this and its a pretty sloppy representation of their playing, but this is my favorite of their latter day releases. Its warts and all and there are some amazing performances. She Was Hot, All Down The Line, Loving Cup, Some Girls, Just My Imagination, Live With Me. Its a really great album/video that I truly watch frequently.

The extra songs (I'm Free, etc.) were really good too. Great disc to show off the capabilities of Blu-Ray. IMO, far superior to Sweet Summer Sun. I know I'm in the minority on this but I was really disappointed in SSS. The way it was filmed was really irritating & the performances mostly so-so (with the exception of Midnight Rambler). Enjoyed watching Glastonbury far more. I liked how Shine A Light really gave you a feeling of what its like to be onstage instead of the usual inane crowd shots.

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: August 2, 2014 20:09

crholmstrom
RollingFreak
I know there are a lot of mistakes on this and its a pretty sloppy representation of their playing, but this is my favorite of their latter day releases. Its warts and all and there are some amazing performances. She Was Hot, All Down The Line, Loving Cup, Some Girls, Just My Imagination, Live With Me. Its a really great album/video that I truly watch frequently.

The extra songs (I'm Free, etc.) were really good too. Great disc to show off the capabilities of Blu-Ray. IMO, far superior to Sweet Summer Sun. I know I'm in the minority on this but I was really disappointed in SSS. The way it was filmed was really irritating & the performances mostly so-so (with the exception of Midnight Rambler). Enjoyed watching Glastonbury far more. I liked how Shine A Light really gave you a feeling of what its like to be onstage instead of the usual inane crowd shots.

Sweet Summer Sun was a very safe and pedestrian release from what was actually a really great tour. Its sad to say that almost any other tour as a release would have been better. As opposed to Shine A Light, which was far from the best show on that tour but was a ramshackle Stones performance and felt genuine. It offered some new stuff, like songs like She Was Hot and the Some Girls material which they don't often play live. Mix in the fact that its Scorsese (which, despite what I initially thought, actually meant something) and it was a release that was welcomed. There's something about that release that doesn't feel like something we've already seen hundreds of times before. You get the really great stuff with the awful (like some of Keith's playing which is almost laughable to be officially released) but in the end its a very true release in a cool venue.

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: August 2, 2014 21:13

RollingFreak
crholmstrom
RollingFreak

Sweet Summer Sun was a very safe and pedestrian release from what was actually a really great tour. Its sad to say that almost any other tour as a release would have been better. As opposed to Shine A Light, which was far from the best show on that tour but was a ramshackle Stones performance and felt genuine. It offered some new stuff, like songs like She Was Hot and the Some Girls material which they don't often play live. Mix in the fact that its Scorsese (which, despite what I initially thought, actually meant something) and it was a release that was welcomed. There's something about that release that doesn't feel like something we've already seen hundreds of times before. You get the really great stuff with the awful (like some of Keith's playing which is almost laughable to be officially released) but in the end its a very true release in a cool venue.

Interesting way to look at it. It's not my favorite Stones on film release by far, but I do seem to like it more each time I see it. Maybe it is the flaws...although I'll never grow to like Mick's finger-nails-on-the-chalkboard woo hoos in Sympathy. Just makes me want to holler back at him...

Date: August 2, 2014 21:18

latebloomer
RollingFreak
crholmstrom
RollingFreak

Interesting way to look at it. It's not my favorite Stones on film release by far, but I do seem to like it more each time I see it. Maybe it is the flaws...although I'll never grow to like Mick's finger-nails-on-the-chalkboard woo hoos in Sympathy. Just makes me want to holler back at him...

I like the way Keith pirouettes during I'm Free. Cool!

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: August 3, 2014 08:59

I actually don't mean the video as much, although I do enjoy that as well. The live album I think is really really good and I throw it on a surprising amount. If I have the time to sit and watch the video I will, but as an album I think its really great.

Again, the flaws are endless. Mick's screeching is one. Its so funny, he rarely messes up or sounds awful that when he does on Sympathy its like "WTF could have you have been thinking." Then again its a song that has only gotten worse and worse and they should have retired in the 90s so unfortunately I kind of expect it to suck now for one reason or another.

Date: August 3, 2014 11:27

RollingFreak
I actually don't mean the video as much, although I do enjoy that as well. The live album I think is really really good and I throw it on a surprising amount. If I have the time to sit and watch the video I will, but as an album I think its really great.

Again, the flaws are endless. Mick's screeching is one. Its so funny, he rarely messes up or sounds awful that when he does on Sympathy its like "WTF could have you have been thinking." Then again its a song that has only gotten worse and worse and they should have retired in the 90s so unfortunately I kind of expect it to suck now for one reason or another.

I saw one SFTD, I think on the Voodoo Lounge tour, that was really good. They did a really long, almost African jam out at the end that was pretty special.

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1911
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home