Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
Blinded By Rainbows ?!?
Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: May 24, 2007 03:55

I get lots of mixed messages from this song. At first glance, an anti-war/anti-terrorism song. Then, near the end, it takes a weird anti-Christian vibe (I'm a Christian, BTW).

Listening today, I realized that maybe it's not written to average listeners, (like you and I) but to terrorists/world leaders, etc. A whole new slant to me.

I love the music for this - especially at the chorus - and think this could have been a great, much-loved song (ala Winter) with different lyrics. The political and gruesome images prevented this.

It may be the mark of a well written song to be taken several ways. Also, it is an indictment of the Bush administration (written in 1993 or 1994, BTW) many times better than "Neo Con". Foresight? Luck?

Am I missing the obvious here? What do you think?

"No Anchovies, Please"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-05-24 13:39 by Elmo Lewis.

Re: Blinded By Rainbows ?!?
Posted by: FrankM ()
Date: May 24, 2007 04:48

Can't see how it can be an indictment of the Bush administration since it was released in 94' and Bush took office in 2001. You can say it FITS the Bush administration but that has to do with your political beliefs- not the intention of the song.

Anyway on with the song. Thought it was one of the best on VL and I love the solo. I got the anti terrorism/anti war message but don't see the anti Christian message. I know the line you are probably talking about- "See the face of Christ, I doubt it", but the problem with a song like this is it can be interpreted numerous ways. I would be interested to know if the Stones ever explained (in interviews etc.) what the song was all about.

Posted by: peter wilson ()
Date: May 24, 2007 05:35

From: THE COMPLETE RECORDING SESSIONS - 1962-2002 - AUTHOR: Martin Elliott

Track Recorded At Various Studios:

1st - County Kildare- Ronnie Wood's 'Sandymount Studios', Ireland;

2nd - Dublin - Windmill Lane Studios, Ireland;

3rd - Don Was' Studio & A & M Studios,Los Angeles, California, USA

"Benmont Tench (from Tom Petty's Band) and Lenny Castro had worked with MJ on his 'Wandering Spirit' album of which 'Blinded by Rainbows' was a left-over. Benmont pays a haunting piano while Lenny Castro, a renowned session musician, worked on percussion. An early out-take has unfinished lyrics and indicates that the song was a love song. With changed lyrics it had a powerful message as MJ wondered if terrorists slept at night and, was their conscience clear as the war in Northern Ireland had dragged on and on? He had to swipe at the situation in divided Ireland even though he knew his views would have no affect. MJ can also be heard on the tremolo guitar. KR plays acoustic, and RW takes the lead solo on electric guitar. There is an instrumental out-take with ghost vocals and another with finished lyrics but without additional instrumental over-dubs."

Posted by: ChelseaDrugstore ()
Date: May 24, 2007 06:18

I never got into this one. Very 'jaggery'. Ron has played better solos too.

"...no longer shall you trudge 'cross my peaceful mind."

Posted by: it's_all_wrong ()
Date: May 24, 2007 06:48

Out of the many fillers on VL, this one isn't all that bad, although nothing special. The solo is really awful, though.

Posted by: cirrhosis ()
Date: May 24, 2007 07:07

-

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-12-30 21:17 by cirrhosis.

Posted by: Baboon Bro ()
Date: May 24, 2007 09:32

I also feel sad about this wonderful song
(now I'm only musically exclusively, thats always my
only way it to songs); just like Elmo I believe with
less controversial lyrics it would have reached heaven...
Still, I long for the unplugged tours in the mid-2010s (?),
when they do this for a maturing audience, for people
like Elmo, 55-56 y o & Baboon, 52-53... smiling smiley

Posted by: Josh2131 ()
Date: May 24, 2007 09:38

I part about doubting seeing the face of Christ is not anti-christian (I too am a Christian). I think it's an attack on the leaders/orchestrators of wars/terror attacks who themselves do not die and therefore do not see the face of Christ. MJ is simply asking the leaders to put themselves in the shoes of their followers. Pertinent then as it is now.

josh.

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: May 24, 2007 10:47

since it's about the situation in Northern Ireland the Christian imagery is pertinent,
and i don't hear anything "anti-Christian" about it. it's against terrorism/war,
regardless of what religion is being twisted into a "reason" for violence.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-05-24 13:14 by with sssoul.

Date: May 24, 2007 10:53

Glad you put the lyrics topis on right track, with sssoul.
Would be interesting to hear our Ulster friend's opinions on it.

Date: May 24, 2007 11:03

IMO, one of the weaker tracks on VL, together with Suck On The Jugular.

Date: May 24, 2007 12:52

Imho the very best on it along with Thru & Thru & Love Is Strong.

Catchy refrain, solid rock tradition yet outstanding harmonies.
Peferct solo. Very Jagger-ish; but recording-wise a co-work?

Date: May 24, 2007 13:13

But very poor playing IMO, especially the guitars. I don't care much for the lyrics either...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-05-24 13:21 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: marcovandereijk ()
Date: May 24, 2007 13:19

I love this song. I like the way it builds up a certain tension that's only released (releaved?) by this brilliant solo of Ronnie.

I think the "Face of Christ lyrics" are very effective here, where the Northern Ireland problems are involved. Either side of the conflict is (was) hiding behind their (christian) religious background and Mick is asking the righteous question how one could really call himself a christian and still use violence (a question he repeated more bluntly on ABcool smiley.

I know a lot of fans do not like this song and some even once told me it was because of the way Mick sang the word Rainbows (like he did on She's a rainbow). Maybe it is because this song does not really fit in their perception of what a Stones-song should sound like. But hey, if there only was one way for a Stones song to sound, what's the point of writing new songs?

Date: May 24, 2007 13:22

I love the way he sings "raaainbeeeuoos", but not the guitars smiling smiley

Posted by: twenny revlights ()
Date: May 24, 2007 13:27

i think the lyrics, like so many of jagger's best, intentionally
talks about more than one thing at the same time. I think it is
both a straight-forward criticism of terrorism as a tactic, no matter
how just the cause, and a criticism of those who could care less
about injustice and oppression, whose apathy contributes to the
desperation that creates terrorism in the first place.

brilliant i think.

Date: May 24, 2007 13:34

"i think the lyrics, like so many of jagger's best, intentionally
talks about more than one thing at the same time."
(twenny r)

Sure does. Great lyricists can work with more than one ball in the air.

Agree with Dandelion that the phrasing of "raaainbeeeuoos"
is the best of all. grinning smiley

Posted by: Meise ()
Date: May 24, 2007 13:35

Always liked that song. When I heard it first, I thought it would be about the war in former Yugoslavia ...

Posted by: farawayeyes2 ()
Date: May 24, 2007 13:36

you really don't like the guitars?
So it's only me that thinks ronnie's solo is one of his best!

Date: May 24, 2007 13:42

Okay, it's about terrorism - specifically in Northern Ireland. And I know it wasn't written about the current situation in Iraq, but it sure hits the mark there.

Listening to the "I doubt it" line as directed at terrorists makes a lot more sense.

Think I'll rewrite the words and have a major hit.

"No Anchovies, Please"

Posted by: Svartmer ()
Date: May 24, 2007 13:49

It´s a good ballad but the solo is a bit strange, I think. It begins very odd, as if he doesn´t know what to do, and then he´s playing safe for the rest of the bars. It can´t possibly be one of his best...

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: May 24, 2007 14:11

Elmo Lewis Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Okay, it's about terrorism - specifically in
> Northern Ireland.

Correct. Hence the reference to Semtex (which was the explosive most used by the IRA at the time). Its not anti-Christian at all. The reference to 'the face of Christ' relates to the hypocrisy of killing people in a conflict which has its roots in religion. It was probably written in the wake of the widespread outrage at the Warrington bomb attack in England which took place at around the time the Stones were recording this album in Dublin.

Aside from a horrible and inappropriate guitar solo, a decent song that for personal reasons I'm very glad they chose to release.

Date: May 24, 2007 14:37

To explain a bit further why I don't like the guitars:

- Jagger's tremolo-guitar is not cool, and his playing is amateurish.
- Ronnie wrecks the song with the solo.
- The acoustic guitar is scattered about in the song, and doesn't add any sustain.

I like the chorus, the keyboard (?) and the drums, but as a whole this song doesn't add up for me.

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: May 24, 2007 14:42

I love every part of this one. It's really great. Blinded By Rainbows, New Faces and Moon Is Up are great gems from Voodoo Lounge.

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: May 24, 2007 14:43

twenny revlights Wrote:
> i think the lyrics, like so many of jagger's best,
> intentionally
> talks about more than one thing at the same time.
> I think it is
> both a straight-forward criticism of terrorism as
> a tactic, no matter
> how just the cause, and a criticism of those who
> could care less
> about injustice and oppression, whose apathy
> contributes to the
> desperation that creates terrorism in the first
> place.
>

Nope. Its absolutely and unequivocally an anti-terrorist song. There's absolutely nothing there in the lyrics regarding the 'apathy' that you seem to think can 'justify' it. There's no fence-sitting whatsover.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-05-24 14:44 by Gazza.

Date: May 24, 2007 15:55

Thanks, Gazza, for the views of one with a front row seat (unfortunately) to the carnage.

"No Anchovies, Please"

Posted by: ChelseaDrugstore ()
Date: May 24, 2007 16:03

Someone mentioned this tune in context with 'acoustic tour'. Now that I think is an excellent idea. The song itself is pretty good. Stripped down completely IMO it would be much much stronger.

"...no longer shall you trudge 'cross my peaceful mind."

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: May 24, 2007 16:09

The lyrics to "Blinded by Rainbows" are very much tied to Ireland where the album was recorded. Its not pro-Christian or anti-Christian, its anti-hypocrisy. This is a country wracked with war over religion, ostensibly, for decades. Jagger points out the hypocrisy of reverent Church-goers who fervently believe in their faith but have no problem with slaughtering innocent children and families. Jagger doubts whether these same people will find their paradise when they die as they believe. Whether he thinks there is an afterlife or that Jesus is God is irrelevant, he tackles their belief system on their own level and points out that their actions do not match their professed values.

Date: May 24, 2007 20:31

JumpingKentFlash Wrote:

> Blinded By Rainbows, New Faces and Moon Is Up are
> great gems from Voodoo Lounge.

As much as it truly pains me to agree with with Kent, he leaves me no choice. Right on, brotha. Moon is Up and Almost Hear You Sigh are the best stones' stones of the post-undercover era!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-05-24 20:32 by the singer not the bong.

Date: May 24, 2007 21:25

singer, there's something about your name the seems familiar ..........

"No Anchovies, Please"

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1567
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home