Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
OT Bon Jovi
Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: May 22, 2007 05:11

I am wondering why there is so much anymosity against this band on here. Can anyone explain it to me please? As someone who grew up in the 80's, and still listens to all that hair music, I am amazed that they get dissed so badly. Granted there are other 80's I like more - Cinderella and the Cult to name a few - but Bon Jovi is right up there, and are on a very short list of bands that I have seen more than once. So what gives??

Re: OT Bon Jovi
Posted by: Beelyboy ()
Date: May 22, 2007 07:01

well because they just so really very much suck but i guess that's not gonna be a helpful response...
hmmmmm, lemme think about how to describe such eminent suckability and suckasistency thru the years...i'll give 'em that...they no flash in the pan...they just keep on sucking...i mean a lot of bands suck...even big bands...
it's just a suckability quotient all their own somehow...perfect suckmanship...
i mean, it's almost a thing of beauty in a way...absolutely reliable, at their very best and worst...a creeping suckstainability that we all could learn from these days...it really makes them stand out...u should be proud...i mean, anybody could suck, even really suck...but this stuff is pure suck, and that's not easy an easy way to sucksess, but if you suck enough for long enough and believe enough in the mission, it just goes to show how far sucking get can you...and that's inspirational...
but, i'll try to be specfic...
i mean
vocals suck...
the joe perry peter frampton mouth tube thing that richie suckbora does sucks,
having a band with someone named tito in it sucks (unless you're the jackson 5)
and someone else is gonna have to take it from here...
hope that helped
winking smiley

Posted by: J.J.Flash ()
Date: May 22, 2007 07:10

they even suck at sucking.

the worst thing is they think they're the shit! and they are--shit that is.

Posted by: FrankM ()
Date: May 22, 2007 07:32

Imo there isn't much to like about Bon Jovi and I'm a bit embarassed they are from the same state as me. They are probably the worst high profile musical act to come out of New Jersey.

Imo the music is not very good and Jon Bon Jovi seems like a pr-ck to say the least. He once referred to Keith Richards as a musical embarrasment.

They were hot in the eightees but their newer stuff isn't that good from what I understand.

Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: May 22, 2007 10:00

Well, Bon Jovi is on the other end of any musical scale, when
compared to the Stones IMHO

Posted by: shedooby ()
Date: May 22, 2007 11:07

(Try to) listen to theis last single...that's got noting to do with rock & roll....

Date: May 22, 2007 11:24

<Granted there are other 80's I like more - Cinderella and the Cult to name a few>

There are huge musical differences between The Cult and the hair metal bands. The Cult has a gothic fundament and their own distinctive style.

Maybe some of the ribbing stems from The Stones themselves, dissing the hair metal bands in various interviews?

Posted by: Kartoffelsalat ()
Date: May 22, 2007 11:50

Jon Bon Jovi has great hair.

Posted by: Adrian-L ()
Date: May 22, 2007 12:07

Kartoffelsalat Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Jon Bon Jovi has great hair.

saw him on American Idol the other week.

He's had cologen treatment for sure... his face looks wierd for a man of
his age, with no lines.

Date: May 22, 2007 15:35

Perhaps it was jealousy that prompted the backlash from the stones? I mean they weren't exactly doing anything in the 80's when all these bands came to fruition. I have nothing against Bon Jovi. I am quite comfortable admitting that I am a big fan of theirs. It is true that their last 3 albums - Bounce, This Left Feels So Right, and Have a Nice Day - have been less than stellar, but Slippery When Wet, New Jersey, Crush, Keep the Faith are quintessential rock albums. I just don't get it but obviously I'm in the minority here.

Posted by: aslecs ()
Date: May 22, 2007 16:13

ummm, because they suck.

ummm, "quintessential rock albums"????? more like shlock albums.

Try a listen to Aftermath, Between the Buttons, Sticky Fingers, Exile, beggars, Bigger Bang, etc, etc - then compare.

Part of the backlash is that soooo many deserving bands get overlooked for the "hair" and zero substance.

Posted by: IrelandCalling4 ()
Date: May 22, 2007 16:17

VooDooLounge13, you're not in the minority!

I should admit, that, yes, I too am a ...(whisper it)...Bon Jovi fan, and have been since 19 and 88, when 'New Joisey' came out.

Okay, their last handful of albums have been major let-down's, I'm talking the homogenised, soulless & just MOR snooze-o-rama of 'Crush', 'Bounce' and the utterly lifeless and tragicomedically titled "Have A Nice Day". Their sounds has, "grown" as they would say, but, really, it has stagnated and lost all of the fire they once had.

(Note to Gazza: I apologise in advance for championing the fire, yes, the fire that The Jovsters had!!)

Casual fans who "diss" (love that word^) the New Jersey mob really only know the cheesy side of 'em, and to be fair, yes, they put the cheddar into cheese more than many. Sappy, cynical tripe like "Always" and the woeful & actually disturbingly bad ballads they've churned out o'er the past 7 years or so.

But, those naysayers should give a listen to genuinely great albums like most of "Keep The Faith" and in particular the mostly excellent "These Days". Lyrically leagues ahead of contemporaries like Def Leppard, Motley Crue and that ilk, Jovi's lyrics are actually pretty darn good, quite personal & social lyrics rather than the usual obsession with wimmin^

Even though I am a fan, it's true that, maybe unlike all UK acts(maybe it's a US thing), they're full of themselves, not a shred of modesty, and frequently compare their songwriting to that of heroes like Dylan, Neil Young, and, on one unfathomable occasion, Jon compared the writing partnership of himself & side-lackey Richie Sambora to that of..wait for it...Lennon and McCartney. Let me say it: For f*cks's sake!!!!

Besides the uber-ego's of Jon and crew, the latter day sappy ballads and lifeless albums, Jovi did make some genuinely great albums in the late '80's and especially in the '90's. 'These Days' being a high watermark of that whole soft-rock genre.

Live they were supreme, still are,a little less intense, but, still a sterling live act.

On record, they've gone down the wrong highway, but then, they think they are composers to rank alongside Dylan, so, who knows where the hell they'll go next..

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: May 22, 2007 17:10

Kartoffelsalat Wrote:
> Jon Bon Jovi has great hair.

So does Ronnie.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: May 22, 2007 18:38

VoodooLounge13 Wrote:
> I am wondering why there is so much anymosity
> against this band on here. Can anyone explain it
> to me please? As someone who grew up in the 80's,
> and still listens to all that hair music, I am
> amazed that they get dissed so badly. Granted
> there are other 80's I like more - Cinderella and
> the Cult to name a few - but Bon Jovi is right up
> there, and are on a very short list of bands that
> I have seen more than once. So what gives??

I could write a thesis on it, to be honest as I think they're the living embodiment of how rock n roll 'lost it' big time in the 80's, but you're a nice chap so I'll go easy. I see them as the antichrist of rock n roll, quite frankly.

However, the genius that is Triumph the Insult Comic Dog can get to the point more succinctly than I ever could

[www.heavy.com]

"Somebody kill me now...."

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2007-05-22 18:42 by Gazza.

Posted by: Kartoffelsalat ()
Date: May 22, 2007 19:45

Koen Wrote:
> Kartoffelsalat Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Jon Bon Jovi has great hair.
>
> So does Ronnie.

I concur.

Posted by: ohnonotyouagain ()
Date: May 22, 2007 19:55

Bon Jovi represent all that is, ever has been or ever will be wrong with rock 'n' roll. Soulless drivel mass produced by evil corporate ogres and doled out like weak and rancid gruel to the lowest common denomenator. And they suck so much that their suckitude is reportedly opening a massive black hole in our galaxy that will swallow the earth and all life as we know it. Other than that, I absolutely love them.

Posted by: FrankM ()
Date: May 22, 2007 19:58

I guess it is their arrogance that irks me more than anything else. They claim they won't be playing into their sixties like the Stones- as if they believe The Stones are embarrasing themselves.

My question to them would be what makes them think they would even have that opportunity? Their popularity seems to be falling now. Do they think people will want to see them twenty years from now?

ABB is probably better than the last three Bon Phony albums combined.

Date: May 23, 2007 00:05

I concur that the last 3 albums have been less than stellar, but then the Stones went thru their period too. I dunno I guess it's just when you grew up. I mean I was coming of age then so I love all those bands: Tesla, White Lion, Ratt, Whitesnake, Great White, Cinderella, the Cult, Bang Tango, Poison, Crue, Cinderella, Gorky Park, Skid Row, Winger, LA Guns, Guns n Roses, Extreme, etc. Granted I love my Classic Rock too - Stones, Mac, Eagles, Simon & Garfunkel, Bruce, AC/DC, Who, Zep, etc but I definitely mix in my glam rock. LOL

Posted by: J.J.Flash ()
Date: May 23, 2007 05:57

BonJovi

Livin' on a prayer-sux
Runaway - doubly sux
it's my life-and it sux
wanted dead or alive-dead
have a nice day-sucky sux

compare these "classics" to The Stones and get back to me. Explain what they have to be arrogant about and diss Mick or Keith. They have sucky songs,sucky stage presence and sucky personalities. In other words THEY SUCK!!

Date: May 23, 2007 06:19

OK I'm sorry I brought it up...though I must admit I've learned little about why people don't like them aside from the arrogance.

Posted by: jamesjagger ()
Date: May 23, 2007 08:59

They are like McDonalds, chewing gum for the masses.

Date: May 23, 2007 14:09

VoodooLounge13 Wrote:
> OK I'm sorry I brought it up...though I must admit
> I've learned little about why people don't like
> them aside from the arrogance.

ohnonotyouagain basically summed it up. Their songs are banal, soulless, cliched drivel poorly dressed up as earnest rock n roll. It's not that hard for most with a discerning ear to scratch beneath the surface and see it for what it is. Their lyrics are excruciating.

Date: May 23, 2007 14:13

VoodooLounge13 Wrote:
> Perhaps it was jealousy that prompted the backlash
> from the stones? I mean they weren't exactly
> doing anything in the 80's when all these bands
> came to fruition.

trust me, if the Stones felt they had any reason to be jealous of "these bands" in the 80's, they would probably have killed themselves.

Date: May 23, 2007 14:16

yeah man; sorry for the tude; quote in above post (voodooL-13 via gazza) says it with more understading than i could articulate, and i could never get that succint.
...some kind of calculated phoniness that almost demanded contempt...nothing personal intended i assure you.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2007-05-23 14:18 by Beelyboy.

Posted by: Lorenz ()
Date: May 23, 2007 14:18

There is a kind of man that like music from Bon Jovi.
They also usually like TOTO and Steely Dan. That music has no soul....

Belgrade-Bucharest-Budapest-Brno

Posted by: Nellcote ()
Date: May 23, 2007 14:18

Jon Bon Jovi???

One of the best performers of all time (simply to mention with Jagger, Springsteen and Elvis).

Saw them in Hyde Park in 2003, doing a little bit of 'Sympathy for the Devil'. "This is for Mick and Keith" and sang, looked in the crowd, big smile and conquer the Park!

One of the best bands and performer.

That's all!

Date: May 23, 2007 14:20

see now a post like that makes me want to kill myself...bon jovi...he might actually be serious...!!??
ok ok ok ok ok too harsh; way too harsh, im sorry...they have songs and they sing them and they entertain a lot of people and have nice product that people enjoy and ok ok ok ok ok. sorry.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-05-23 14:26 by Beelyboy.

Date: May 23, 2007 14:26

Nellcote Wrote:
> Jon Bon Jovi???
>
> One of the best performers of all time (simply to
> mention with Jagger, Springsteen and Elvis).
>

may God strike you down for those 3 pieces of blasphemy. Jon Bon Jovi is not fit to wipe the backside of any of those 3 performers. (the fact that he simply doesnt have any good songs IMO makes it even worse smiling smiley

And yes, before anyone asks, I have had the misfortune to see them. Supporting the Stones in Paris.

It was vile beyond words.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-05-23 14:30 by Gazza.

Date: May 23, 2007 14:29

"vile beyond words"

a classic.

and i remember that Triumph sketch from even the first time it aired. I sat in my room wide eyed and stunned...it was too true...it was too good...it was too straight out...and right directly in their faces...i think i stood up and applauded in my own bedroom it was so stunning...that's classic stuff...

there's a similar clip used to go around on youtube (but I don't think it's there any longer) that is exactly the same except it extends another few mintues and somehow there's Triumph actually on stage with them at their concert getting verses to sing and changing the lyrics as the band is live, and continues to be totally ass out bitter and biting...it's classic stuff...

they should put conan and his writers on mt. rushmore for that...i'd buy dvd's of just Triumph's guest spots...

(like when William Shatner was a guest...triumph all going on and on in his routine center stage, then slowly looks to his left where shatner and o'brien are sitting and does the full classic slow double-take...'oh, shatner, shatner...great acting...great great acting...(then in perfect James T. Kirk stuttered delivery..."For...Me...Too...Poop...On...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-05-23 14:38 by Beelyboy.

Posted by: farawayeyes2 ()
Date: May 23, 2007 14:36

i understand that people that grew up in the eigties may have great memories linked to bon Jovi and other bands like them..

BUT

To me it's worthless music, that sounds more old than 1940s blues. Kitsch melodies, kitsch outfits, kitsch backing vocals, kitsch guitar riffs, kiscth drumming, everything on it is bad-taste!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-05-23 14:37 by farawayeyes2.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1771
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home