Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
!!!Excerpt of Keith's autobio leaked!!!
Posted by: JuanTCB ()
Date: May 17, 2007 23:43

Breaking this out of the NY Post thread because, if this is real, this is some BIG news.

A supposed excerpt has been posted on Gawker.com:
[gawker.com]

This new year of the Exile on Main Street sessions, 1972, opened upon us in an entirely different shape for the Rolling Stones. We were no longer alone. At our side stood two mighty allies. Gram Parsons and Dr. John were, though for different reasons, irrevocably engaged to provide rootsy Americana in the closest concert with the band. This combination made final recording certain unless it broke in pieces under the weight, or unless some entirely new strain of heroin appeared in Villefranche-sur-Mer. There was indeed a new strain of heroin for which half the band was avidly groping. As it turned out, it was into our already collapsing veins that the blessing of the Burma Brown was destined to fall. A fearful and bloody struggle lay before us and we could not foresee its course, but injection was sure.

The Stones collective had now to face the onslaught of recording "Happy." This had been long prepared, and fell upon Charlie Watts' dignity, if such it could be called, with cruel severity. At no moment could it be conceived that I might be providing vocal duties, but heavy forfeits had to be paid for the privilege, in Nice and other nearby encampments. Jagger, in mortal grip of his newlywed status, suffered only from the marital assault by the diversion of multiple Anglo-American energies in the form of strippers. Watts and I had a long period of torturing conflicts before us which could not affect the final issue but were hard for the band to endure. In the end, producer Jimmy Miller handled percussion duties. To us in the band it seemed that everything was growing worse... although on reflection we knew that the album was done.

Re: !!!Excerpt of Keith's autobio leaked!!!
Posted by: Lorenz ()
Date: May 18, 2007 00:00

I don't know, it sounds a bit too "bloomy", doesn't it?

Posted by: Beelyboy ()
Date: May 18, 2007 00:11

dosen't sound like his voice at all...if it is sourced as real, as a publishers 'demo' or whatever...it might have been culled from interviews with co-writer fox, including some of keith's expressions, or perspectives...but the language itself sounds 'bloomy' as lorenz put it. or the less descriptive words that came to me "arch" or "faux-literary" "quasi psuedo highbrow' or something...i think keith is deeply intelligent and magically poetic and articulate...and probably well read...but i don't think that's his 'voice'...

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: May 18, 2007 00:13

>>dosen't sound like his voice at all..<<

Haha, no it surely doesn't. It sounds like a hoax.

Posted by: barbabang ()
Date: May 18, 2007 00:24

Nice one!, but Jimmy Miller played the drums allright

Posted by: Justin ()
Date: May 18, 2007 00:26

Sounds like a BIOgraphy and not AUTObiography.

Sounds very dry,lacks Keith-isms and his personality. It ain't Keith. If it is from the book...sounds like the co-author did most of the work....

Posted by: sjs12 ()
Date: May 18, 2007 00:36

When have you ever read Keith's written work before to be able to make that judgement? If that guy wrote like he talked, I really would be surprised. I mean, when you read his interviews you get his random thoughts as he speaks. When he writes, he can put all the thought he wants into it - maybe go back and change a few bits.

I'm not saying it is Keith, but I just don't see what his "voice" has to do with it if it is, indeed, a true autobiography.

Posted by: MadMax ()
Date: May 18, 2007 00:37

That ain't Keith

Posted by: open-g ()
Date: May 18, 2007 00:38

it's no audiobiography anyway^^

Posted by: little queenie ()
Date: May 18, 2007 00:58

sjs12 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> When have you ever read Keith's written work
> before to be able to make that judgement? If that
> guy wrote like he talked, I really would be
> surprised. I mean, when you read his interviews
> you get his random thoughts as he speaks. When he
> writes, he can put all the thought he wants into
> it - maybe go back and change a few bits.
>
> I'm not saying it is Keith, but I just don't see
> what his "voice" has to do with it if it is,
> indeed, a true autobiography.

read "in his own words: keith richards" - a collection of his thoughts on different topics.

the passage above is way way over-the-top embellished.

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: May 18, 2007 01:06

"Oh yea, 1972! We did Exile, right ? Whooe, France sure was a hot place to get that Rock'n Roll to tape ! Oh yea, so...eh...you know Mr John and my deare friend Gram...they were big in 72, so were we, yup...where was I ? Yea, there were drugs passing going on, - uh - isn't there any beers in this office, whaddya got? Dark beer? Guiness or Babie Brown, or Burmida Brown, yep OK, it's cool with me. Anyway, things got rolling despite of the drugs and heat...it just happened man!"

=

"This new year of the Exile on Main Street sessions, 1972, opened upon us in an entirely different shape for the Rolling Stones. We were no longer alone. At our side stood two mighty allies. Gram Parsons and Dr. John were, though for different reasons, irrevocably engaged to provide rootsy Americana in the closest concert with the band. This combination made final recording certain unless it broke in pieces under the weight, or unless some entirely new strain of heroin appeared in Villefranche-sur-Mer. There was indeed a new strain of heroin for which half the band was avidly groping. As it turned out, it was into our already collapsing veins that the blessing of the Burma Brown was destined to fall. A fearful and bloody struggle lay before us and we could not foresee its course, but injection was sure. "

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2007-05-18 01:29 by Erik_Snow.

Posted by: WMiller ()
Date: May 18, 2007 01:12

Thanks for the word "embellished" Queenie. That's what I was thinking. I'll accept that when one is putting down their life's story in words (or having somebody else do if for/with them) they want to make their life seem interesting, but we are talking about Keith F'ing Richards here! I don't think any embellishment is necessary!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-05-18 05:06 by WMiller.

Posted by: Glam Descendant ()
Date: May 18, 2007 01:13

I didn't think he'd even begun work on it (and don't believe he'll bother until he secures an advance). Reeks of hoax to me.

Posted by: voodoocat ()
Date: May 18, 2007 01:20

Hey Eric-

LOL

.........So the power went out, right. I mean this happened all the time. We had the RS mobile parked outside with these cables going out the windows. So the power went out and I went to the basement and there was this huge MOUSE IN THE HOUSE with a Swastika around his neck and I chased him around the dusty dirty basement with pirate sword I had found in burried in the backyard. And then there's Anita cooking lunch for like 30 people everyday and somehow we did this album.smiling smiley

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2007-05-18 01:38 by voodoocat.

Posted by: angee ()
Date: May 18, 2007 01:28

I'd read it, in any case.

Posted by: soundcheck ()
Date: May 18, 2007 01:41

.... sounds like oldham writing....... which went out in '65

Posted by: 5string ()
Date: May 18, 2007 01:47

A good publisher and co-writer will want one to write as he talks. This is not Keith! Cheers!

Posted by: Landover 81 ()
Date: May 18, 2007 01:48

if the whole book reads like that i will never make it tot the finish line. Seems too forced!

Posted by: open-g ()
Date: May 18, 2007 01:51

Pirate Speak:
Ahoy, this new year o' the Exile on Main Street sessions, 1972, opened upon us in an entirely diffarnt shape for the Rollin' Stones. We war no longer alone. At our side stood two mighty allies. Gram Parsons and Dr. John war, though for diffarnt reasons, irre'ocably engaged t' pro'ide rootsy Americana in the closest concert with the band. This combination made final recordin' certain unless it broke in pieces under the weight, or unless some entirely new strain o' heroin appeared in 'illefranche-sur-mer. Thar was indeed a new strain o' heroin for which half the band was a'idly gropin'. As it turned out, it was int' our already collapsin' 'eins that the blessin' o' the Burma Brown was destined t' fall. A fearful and bloody struggle lay before us and we could not foresee its course, but injection was sure. Ye'll ne'er get me buried booty!

Posted by: soundcheck ()
Date: May 18, 2007 02:03

good one open-g, you'll cause a mutiny....

burma brown.. ??? ..... how about brahma bull .... geez.. or for the fast food simple early's seventies packaging shipment....... mexican brown..

Posted by: sarahunwin ()
Date: May 18, 2007 02:05

I sure hope the whole book doesn't sound like that - the prose SUCKS!

Posted by: The Flasher ()
Date: May 18, 2007 02:06

Am I the only one who reacts to the mention of Mick as "Jagger" sounds a bit to dry...

Posted by: madmaxx ()
Date: May 18, 2007 02:15

If this is Keith then he wrote it during his stay at the Hospital in NZ .

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: May 18, 2007 02:36

"Well here's how Exile came about. We were holed up at this joint in the south of France. Doing some unbeleivable Heroin. We just kept jamming,putting stuff together. Whoever was around. Next thing I know I'm singing lead and somehow we come out with this bloody good album."

"It's just some friends of mine and they're busting down the door"

Posted by: Bingo ()
Date: May 18, 2007 02:41

When is the Keith Richards cookbook coming out?

Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: May 18, 2007 03:11

Pretentious crap. Wouldn't buy it, couldn't read it.

Keef can put up with almost anything except pretentious idiots. He didn't write it, and cannot imagine him putting his name on it.

(IMHO)

Posted by: john r ()
Date: May 18, 2007 03:33

The best autobios by non-writers do capture the "author's" voice, even if ghost written. Certainly Wyman's first book conveyed personality - his aloofness, passive-aggressiveness, obsessions with girls and money, love of music, etc, not to mention wthe experiences that shaped him. And other examples are Chuck Berry's, Dylan's chronicles, Levon Helm's, Ian McLagan's - to name just a few.
This, if it is an excerpt, does not feel or sound like Keith - whose 'voice' and personae and presence loom large in all our lives, I presume.

Posted by: Beelyboy ()
Date: May 18, 2007 05:46

haaww erik brilliant...voodoo and open-g. u guys is too much...

gizoolging iorr...

It's Only Rock'n Roll
The Perpetratin' Stones Fan Clizzay
Since 1980 - IORR.org
Welcome ta Stonesland! This is tha place fo` hard core fans of The Roll'n Stones frizzom all over tha world. You wiznill find tha latest news `bout The Roll'n Stones, bootylicious photos, tour dates of tha band n each individual related, meet otha fans, share experiences from concerts, trade collector's shiznit, n lots more. Put on some real good Stones music, play it loud, n enjoy yo stay like this and like that and like this and uh!

Posted by: largelingerie ()
Date: May 18, 2007 08:06

I'll take Erik's version -- Keith really wouldn't let anything that made him sound flowery come out -- he just wouldn't. This book is going to be something that I want to DEVOUR....and I don't think I could get through more than a paragraph of that other shit. Certainly not worth 5 million!

Re: excerpt of nothing
Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: May 18, 2007 09:07

get a grip, people - this doesn't even sound like someone who's especially familiar with the band.

>> When have you ever read Keith's written work before to be able to make that judgement? <<

Keith has written forewords to more than one book, and a number of short pieces that have appeared in magazines.
that's not the same as writing a book, of course, but it is a taste of his prose style, which is not remotely like this.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2007-05-19 18:12 by with sssoul.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1243
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home