Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

JJF with Aretha Franklin
Posted by: MartinB ()
Date: May 16, 2007 14:07

I just rediscovered JJF with Aretha Franklin. It is probably the only cover of Stones which is as good as, or better than the original.

Did Keith play on it?

Re: JJF with Aretha Franklin
Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: May 16, 2007 14:07

better than the original.............NO

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Sohoe ()
Date: May 16, 2007 14:08

I bet he did.I even think he produced the album.

Date: May 16, 2007 14:09

<Did Keith play on it?>

You haven't seen the video?? Keith and Ronnie (and Steve Jordan) played on it. Keith produced it as well. Great twangy version.

Posted by: farawayeyes2 ()
Date: May 16, 2007 14:10

sure keith is the guitar on it..i Ronnie is on it too.
But i dont really like that version. It's kinda strange..i adore Aretha Franklin, i adore the Stones, and that rendition never hooked me. Sounds too eighties, it doesn't rock!

Posted by: Sohoe ()
Date: May 16, 2007 14:10

Aretha Franklin - JJF:

Posted by: MartinB ()
Date: May 16, 2007 14:11

Sohoe - thanks! you made my day. martin

Posted by: stonesfan70 ()
Date: May 16, 2007 15:19

Is it true that the original master tape of JJF was somehow destroyed during this recording with Aretha? I seem to recall hearing that story years ago.

Posted by: dunhill ()
Date: May 16, 2007 16:01

The Aretha version is crap to me.

Posted by: Ludwig8745 ()
Date: May 16, 2007 16:18

Hi!

You can download the JJF video and other Keith Richards videos here: [www.iorr.org]

Posted by: farawayeyes2 ()
Date: May 16, 2007 16:43

ludwing i'm grateful for all the great videos u posted.
thanx!!

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: May 16, 2007 16:50

It wasn't a good version.

Especially compared to Otis Redding's version of "Satisfaction."

Or Aretha's version of Otis' song "Respect."

It was one of those deals that when you look at the people involved it sounds good on paper, but just doesn't come off.

And it was done for a movie. If they were just looking for a female rnb singer, it would have worked better with Tina Turner. She's much more of a straight-ahead rocker than Aretha.

And you say this is better than the Stones recording?? You can't be serious.

I've said it before: JJF is the greatest rock song/record of all time. It's the top--THE BEST. Period.

Aretha's version wouldn't make my top 1000...

Posted by: drbryant ()
Date: May 16, 2007 16:55

Wow, check out that hot pink shirt on Chuck!

Posted by: ChelseaDrugstore ()
Date: May 16, 2007 20:01

I have to be honest: I did not like it very much. Forget that Keith and Ron had played JJF too many times already by then and don't hit the 1-2 punch hard enough anymore.
What I really didn't like is that Keith used the same production ideas for her version that he did with the Stones. The shakers comiog in with the solo;not again Keith.

"...no longer shall you trudge 'cross my peaceful mind."

Posted by: Beelyboy ()
Date: May 16, 2007 20:19

i think it brilliant; production perfect for the artist and the soundtrack...
aretha is in absolute top rare form vocally here...everything subtle and powerful and improvisationally majestic about her prowess and style and sound are right here...
it was plenty funky and some awful deep grooving...keeping some of the trad. arrangement elements; riffs, shakers etc...made it more identifiable rock (in this most classically raw and perfect rock song) at heart even tho the thing is swinging funky and, with aretha, waaay down churchy....
her voice is at his most facile and best...i thought it great spirit...ronnie and keith look great...everybody looks regally happy...the shots of keith at the board are priceless...i don't get what there is not to like about this cover...(for what it is...of course having charlie there would have made it more propulsive, rather than jordan's timid little knock knock, session type fills here and there etc)...but all in all, this had me smiling, grooving and rocking a unique version of one of my favorite songs, with the writer as producer and git player...this is a celebration mon.
reetha at the piano with her hands up in the air, not even playing just doin' that neck thang and groovin' heavy...and at the end standing up in those tights and patti labelle hair-do and shaking her thang...all of em in a line and dancing & laugin'...come on...this is fine...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-05-16 20:21 by Beelyboy.

Posted by: rocknola ()
Date: May 17, 2007 03:54

Randy jackson on bass- yeah that Randy Jackson from American Idol!!!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1379
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home