Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Trivia..What was the first top 40 Stones song that did not have Mick singing lead?
Posted by: reg thorpe ()
Date: May 15, 2007 19:28

..somebody asking me; I ran a blank except for Happy..

Re: Trivia..What was the first top 40 Stones song that did not have Mick singing lead?
Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: May 15, 2007 19:33

"Happy" would be the only one, wouldn't it?

Bill had a hit with the "Rockstar" song.

"No Anchovies, Please"

Re: Trivia..What was the first top 40 Stones song that did not have Mick singing lead?
Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: May 15, 2007 19:33

In Another Land...or how far did it climb the charts ?

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: May 15, 2007 19:34

i don't think In Another Land made it to the top 40, but Happy did.

Posted by: ChelseaDrugstore ()
Date: May 15, 2007 19:38

Does it have to be performed by the Stones or wrioten by them?

"...no longer shall you trudge 'cross my peaceful mind."

Posted by: reg thorpe ()
Date: May 15, 2007 19:40

I think it's Happy; I can't remember any others that cracked the top 40 that
Jagger didn't sing

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: May 15, 2007 19:40

You're right with Sssoul, In Another Land reached #87 in US

Date: May 15, 2007 19:41

>> performed by the Stones or written by them? <<

good question - if "Stones song" means one that Mick & Keith wrote but someone else recorded,
there was a nice little handful of those in the early 60s.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-05-15 19:42 by with sssoul.

Posted by: The Worst. ()

"Happy" reached #22 in the US, "In Another Land" only reached 87.

In Another Land hit # 87
Happy hit #22

Posted by: FrankM ()
Date: May 15, 2007 19:45

A lot of it has to do with their song selection as far as releasing singles instead of song quality. This Place Is Empty would have made a nice single imo- also Before They Make Me Run and The Worst.

They rarely release the Richards songs as singles so it's hard for them to hit the top forty.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-05-15 19:49 by FrankM.

Date: May 15, 2007 19:54

Woe! Worst, we must have checked and typed in synchronicity.

Posted by: winter ()
Date: May 15, 2007 20:26

how about m. faithful's cover of As Tears Go By? how well did that do in england or the states?

Posted by: Hound Dog ()
Date: May 15, 2007 20:38

What about That Girl Belongs to Yesterday, not sure what that did in the charts. If not that I'd have to go with As Tears Go By from Faithfull.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: May 15, 2007 20:43

The only two Stones singles without Mick on lead vocals were In Another Land and Happy.

Happy was the only one that was a top 40 hit, however.

Date: May 15, 2007 20:53

>> What about That Girl Belongs to Yesterday <<

this site here says That Girl Belongs to Yesterday was in the UK Top 10 (in 1964): [www.buzzle.com]
but if the question is *Stones songs* i wouldn't count other artists' releases.

Posted by: FrankM ()
Date: May 15, 2007 20:59

Pretty sure That Girl Belongs To Yesterday was also a top forty hit here in the states. I think it was the first Jagger/Richards song to be released in the states.

People must have looked at the songwriting credits and said "who the hell are these two guys?".

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-05-15 21:05 by FrankM.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: May 15, 2007 22:45

Take it or leave it - Searchers ?

Posted by: Bingo ()
Date: May 15, 2007 22:50

I like Keiths version of Gimme Shelter, was it originally a Keith tune that got changed to a Mick tune? OR... Did Keith record it just for the fun of it?

Date: May 15, 2007 22:51

I take the last one Bingo

Date: May 15, 2007 22:53

Would the "Out of Time" single be considered the most successful single by an artists singing a J/R tune?

Date: May 15, 2007 22:56

>> was it originally a Keith tune that got changed to a Mick tune? <<

yep

Date: May 15, 2007 23:21

Just checked out some old TOP 40 from Holland (1966), lots of weeks there where 4/5 Stones song in the TOP 40.

Out of Time was a big Hit as was Take It Or Leave It, Lady Jane etc.

[www.radio538.nl]

[www.radio538.nl]

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: May 15, 2007 23:44

"As Tears Go By" - Marianne Faithful?

"No Anchovies, Please"

Posted by: mofur ()
Date: May 15, 2007 23:49

Bingo Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I like Keiths version of Gimme Shelter, was it
> originally a Keith tune that got changed to a Mick
> tune? OR... Did Keith record it just for the fun
> of it?

Gimme Shelter is a bonafide Keef song ;-) (Funny how I've read that Mick Jagger's two favorite songs are "Satisfaction" and "Gimme Shelter")

Date: May 16, 2007 00:10

Gimme Shelter might be a Richard song but Jagger drives it to the TOP

Posted by: pgarof ()
Date: May 16, 2007 10:49

Out of Time sung by Chris Farlow?

Posted by: HelterSkelter ()
Date: May 16, 2007 11:05

Either "THE FLY" or "MYSTERIOUS WAYS" - I always get mixed up....

Posted by: sluissie ()
Date: May 16, 2007 12:01

For the Stones, was You Got The Silver the first album-song with Keith on lead-vocals?

Jelle

Date: May 16, 2007 14:18

>> was You Got The Silver the first album-song with Keith on lead-vocals? <<

if you don't count the shared leads on I'm Alright, Something Happened to Me Yesterday and Salt of the Earth
or the near-unison duet on Connection

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1250
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home