Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
Not quite OT [Worst Albums]
Posted by: Spud ()
Date: May 15, 2007 15:41

Dylan's 'Down In The Groove' named 'The Worst Album By An Awesome Act'

Washington, May 15: Guitar legend Bob Dylan's album 'Down In The Groove' has been named 'The Worst Album By An Awesome Act' in a new online poll.

The Rolling Stone poll shows that the magazine's readers consider Dylan's album to be the most terrible one.

Second on the list of worst albums by big shot musicians was 'Dirty Work' by the Rolling Stones.

While David Bowie's 'Tonight 4' was third on the list of top worst albums, Van Morrison's 'Beautiful Vision' came in fourth.

Wrapping up the top five was 'Cut the Crap' by 'The Clash', reports Contactmusic.

Top 10 named and shamed on the new list:

1. Bob Dylan - Down In the Groove

2. Rolling Stones - Dirty Work

3. David Bowie - Tonight

4. Van Morrison - Beautiful Vision

5. The Clash - Cut the Crap

6. Neil Young - Old Ways

7. Van Halen - Diver Down

8. The Who - Face Dances

9. Elvis Costello - Mighty Like A Rose

10. Red Hot Chili Peppers - One Hot Minute

Mmm. There are actually some decent albums in that list. It has to kept in context. had lesser artists made the above albums...most would have been raved about.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-05-15 15:43 by Spud.

Re: Not quite OT [Worst Albums]
Posted by: rooster ()
Date: May 15, 2007 15:48

''Old Ways'' Neil Young..I love that album!!

Posted by: Svartmer ()
Date: May 15, 2007 15:53

I certainly agree on Down in the groove. I gave it away immediately. Less than 30 minutes of garbage. Still, he played Silvio live during the nineties, the only half decent song on the album.

Posted by: ablett ()
Date: May 15, 2007 15:57

I quite like face Dances!

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: May 15, 2007 15:58

Down In The Groove is really awful, I agree, there's no reason to play that album for me, not even one good song there (edit: Rank Strangers To Me is OK)
Dirty Work...we've been thorugh that one before, yep there are some stinkers - but half of the album is great....the sound of the drums ruins quite a lot - but the guitars are excellent. I think the people who hate Dirty Work just don't listen to the album, but was furious the first time they heard it, because of the unfamiliar 80s sound - which is not the way to present Rolling Stones songs
Red Hot Chili, Cut The Crap and Face Dances...not good
"Tonight"...I don't agree, "Never Let Me Down" is far worse. Blue Jean, Loving The Alien are great, and there's a 2 other OK songs there....Bowie seemed to be stuck in a vacuum through the 80s - but "Tonight" is not his worst efforts.
Human Touch / Lucky Town should've been included, at least considering the expectations one had, after 5 years of silence

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2007-05-15 21:45 by Erik_Snow.

Posted by: drbryant ()
Date: May 15, 2007 16:10

No McCartney II?

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: May 15, 2007 16:29

Primitive Call is probably not on the list because Jagger solo is not an 'awsome act'. I've never heard it, so can't comment! yawning smiley)

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: May 15, 2007 16:55

I like a couple of these - Dirty Work, Diver Down.

The Who and Prince have always had a couple of wonderful songs surrounded by crap on each album (Who's Next is the exception).

"No Anchovies, Please"

Posted by: Sohoe ()
Date: May 15, 2007 18:09

No Metal Machine Music? Kind of thought that was one of worst albums of all times.

Posted by: Ross ()
Date: May 15, 2007 18:49

Half of "Down in The Groove" I really like! The last 4 songs (Silvio, 90 Miles An Hour, Shenandoah, and Rank Strangers) are great (imo). Let's Stick Together isn't too bad, so for me half of it works. It's that crap in the middle that brings it down. Ugliest Girl In The World is about as bad as it gets for his Bobness!

Metal Machine Music is in the top 5 of all time!

Ross

Posted by: farawayeyes2 ()
Date: May 15, 2007 18:57

Shit i got two of the list!
Tonight..I don't agree at all..Bowie made worst album..Blue Jean is a beautiful song. Metal Machine music can't be on that list. That is experimental music. The great thing about that album is the IDEA of making a whole album of guitar feedbacks, all sort of noise etc..

Date: May 15, 2007 19:05

Ross Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Half of "Down in The Groove" I really like! The
> last 4 songs (Silvio, 90 Miles An Hour,
> Shenandoah, and Rank Strangers) are great (imo).
> Let's Stick Together isn't too bad, so for me half
> of it works. It's that crap in the middle that
> brings it down. Ugliest Girl In The World is
> about as bad as it gets for his Bobness!

OK, Rank Strangers To Me and Silvio ain't too shabby, yet it's a terrible album.

Posted by: ChelseaDrugstore ()
Date: May 15, 2007 19:09

There is "Calling all Stations" from Genesis, Not that most of any post-Gabriel was any good, but that one was with Tony Banks running the show. The had a hired gun named Ray...something singing. Dreadful.

Then there is "Infatuation" by Rod Stewart. This one was also the logical sinkhole for him to end up before he found his new muse. Bad, truly bad.

T. Rex hit bottom with "Zinc Alloy ..". In 75 Marc Bolan really had lost momentum. He had moved to the USA, broken up with his wife, lost his drummer and gained a lot of weight. He just could not get a foorhold in the States, and his success in England was waning. Bowie had passed him and the Punks were taking over. But he pulled it together; "Futuristic Dragon" and "Dandy in the Underworld" were his last two and much better. Almost every punkband cited Bolan as a major influence.

"I'm Real" by James Brown

"Tales From a Topographic Ocean" by Yes. That is just beyond words.

"Give my regards to Broad Street" by McCartney. I have to admit that the title rack is actually one of my fave Paul songs. Total schmaltz, I know. The album is awful.

Elton John had these albums in the 80's that i think no one knows. Reg had at least always one hitsingle on an album. But (I am looking at a list here) "The Fox", "Leather Jackets", "21 at 33"..what is up with those?

"...no longer shall you trudge 'cross my peaceful mind."

Date: May 15, 2007 19:32

CD, the Rod album with "Infatuation" was called Camouflage. Guess he was trying to hide.

P. S. Are you gonna join us at the baseball game?

"No Anchovies, Please"

Posted by: ChelseaDrugstore ()
Date: May 15, 2007 19:37

You are right Elmo, That was the title. You know your sexy men winking smiley
If I am not working I will most definetly be there. At the Braves game. You picked a good year, bro. They are hot again. Didn't they lose a pitcher today? I heard the tailend of a news story today but was not sure.

"...no longer shall you trudge 'cross my peaceful mind."

Date: May 15, 2007 19:41

Yikes!

I think Smoltz hurt a finger on his throwing hand. Not good. Chipper is a little banged up too - what else is new there?. Hope to see ya there.

"No Anchovies, Please"

Posted by: KSIE ()
Date: May 15, 2007 20:21

Sohoe Wrote:
> No Metal Machine Music? Kind of thought that was
> one of worst albums of all times.

Not really. It requires the proper "medication" beforehand.

cool smiley

Posted by: LieB ()
Date: May 15, 2007 20:53

Diver Down by Van Halen does NOT belong on that list. There was some magazine somewhere who put it on their list of underrated albums, saying "if you don't understand Diver Down you don't understand Van Halen", and I kind of agree with that. Sure, there's some lightweight stuff on it, but nothing is bad. Some of the songs (Hang 'Em High, Secrets, Little Guitars) are among their best. It's part of their style, the tongue in cheek pop cockrock.

One Hot Minute by RHCP is also a good album. It's a bit different from the rest of their output, but I prefer it over some of their recent boring commercial minimalistic "funk pop" songs.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: May 15, 2007 21:01

farawayeyes2 Wrote:
> Shit i got two of the list!

I have seven! All but 7,9 and 10.

Some of those selections are justifiable (Down in the groove), some are merely mediocre albums by an otherwise solidly consistent artist (Face Dances, Cut the Crap), and in one case its just downright wrong (Beautiful Vision is a superb album). Old Ways is a decent record, containing an absolute gem of a song in 'Misfits' and is far from Neil Young's worst albums. He put out two absolute turds either side of that one (Everybodys Rockin and Landing on Water) which deserve this dubious honour.

The fact that so many of these albums were released in the 80's speaks volumes.

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: May 15, 2007 21:02

One Hot Minute is a great Peppers album.

Dirty work is by far better than VL, which in any case is decent.

I am not a great Springsteen fan, but I like most of his stuff. Well, that said, the Boss' tunnel of love must be one of the worst albums ever-

C

Date: May 15, 2007 21:06

liddas Wrote:
> One Hot Minute is a great Peppers album.
>
> Dirty work is by far better than VL, which in any
> case is decent.
>
> I am not a great Springsteen fan, but I like most
> of his stuff. Well, that said, the Boss' tunnel of
> love must be one of the worst albums ever-
>
> C

Love it. One of my personal favourites. Each to their own, I guess.

Posted by: Glam Descendant ()
Date: May 15, 2007 21:11

> in one case its just downright wrong (Beautiful Vision is a superb album).

Agreed, the inclusion of that is a head scratcher.

As for DITG, I'll play that before DYLAN & THE DEAD any day, which has *got* to be Dylan's worst.

MIGHTY LIKE A ROSE isn't Costello's worst either.

It's a short-sighted list.

Posted by: stone-relics ()
Date: May 15, 2007 21:22

Everyone has an opinion afterall...no worries...

JR

Date: May 15, 2007 21:26

Glam Descendant Wrote:
>>
> As for DITG, I'll play that before DYLAN & THE
> DEAD any day, which has *got* to be Dylan's
> worst.
>

Its a toss-up, I suppose, although maybe DITG gets the nod as its a studio album. (The version of Dylan & The Dead that the Dead assembled and which Bob rejected isnt that bad actually)

The album "Dylan" which CBS inflicted on an unsuspecting public in a fit of pique in 1974 when Bob briefly left the label is worse than both however. I suppose you cant really count it as Bob never approved of its release - its the only one of his albums no longer available on CD.

Date: May 15, 2007 21:31

Re: Diver Down

The only knock on it to me is so many cover songs:

Dancing In The Street
Where Have All The Good Times Gone
Pretty Woman
Big Bad Bill Is Sweet William Now
Happy Trails

Not bad versions, just would have liked more VH songs.

"No Anchovies, Please"

Date: May 15, 2007 21:31

DOWN IN THE GROOVE has some redeeming moments (e.g., "Rank Strangers To Me"). I haven't heard DYLAN in years but it is probably worse than DITG.

Date: May 15, 2007 21:33

Mr Bojangles is great!

Date: May 15, 2007 21:39

So is Spanish Is The Loving Tongue and Can't Help Falling In Love, though Mr. Boujangles gets the prize

Date: May 15, 2007 21:42

"Dance... yeah, dance!" used to make me & my friends laugh.

Date: May 15, 2007 21:44

Shenanndoah and Rank Strangers are gems on an awfully produced album.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-05-15 22:17 by DandelionPowderman.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2821
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home