Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: New live dvd and Jagger solo?
Posted by: melillo ()
Date: May 15, 2007 05:15

excuse me, keith only went solo cause he had no choice, what was he gonna do sit around and scratch his arse waiting for mick

Posted by: FrankM ()
Date: May 15, 2007 05:24

I don't understand why people are so defensive about the Jagger solo stuff. You can think it is good (as I do) and still prefer he make another album with the band. Have we had an orgy of new material lately? One freeking album in eight years. God forbid they actually put out two studio albums in three calendar years.

He should do the Stones album now while the band is still together. With all the health problems and addiction problems that band is facing they might not be around as a band three or four years from now. Then Jagger can do "Visions Of Paradise" to his heart's content- and I'll buy it.

Posted by: melillo ()
Date: May 15, 2007 05:26

its your money pal

Posted by: FrankM ()
Date: May 15, 2007 05:35

melillo Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> its your money pal

I prefer he do an album with the band but the Jagger solo stuff is well worth the price of the cd. Forget the two eightees albums- almost everything from the eightees sounds like crap these days. WS was a masterpiece and GITD was good. "Don't Call Me Up" and "Too Far Gone" would have been great with Keith, Charlie and Ron in the mix.

Posted by: cbtaco19 ()
Date: May 15, 2007 05:36

normanplace Wrote:
> Wandering Voodoo Offender....it is an iPOD
> playlist I put together...
>
>
> You Got Me Rocking
> Sweet Thing
> Love Is Strong
> Don’t Tear Me Up
> The Worst (maybe use as a b-side?)
> Use Me
> Out of Tears
> I Go Wild
> Eileen
> Hate It When You Leave
> Moon Is Up
> Evening Gown
> Blinded By Rainbows
> Hang On To Me Tonight
> Wicked As It Seems

I like your idea but think I have a better combo list smiling smiley

Sweet Thing
Don't Tear Me Up
Love Is Strong
Wicked As It Seems
The Worst
Evening Gown
Hate It When You Leave
Use Me
I Go Wild
Think

Posted by: rattler2004 ()
Date: May 15, 2007 06:15

JumpingKentFlash Wrote:
> rattler2004 Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > As far as the solo stuff...the songs on those
> are
> > not up to the Stones standard....in other words
> > their not good.
>
>
> You don't think Wandering Spirit would have been a
> great Stones record?

I have heard no complete Jagger solo material past She's the Boss....a fact that I'm both proud and thankful.

the shoot 'em dead, brainbell jangler!

Posted by: ChelseaDrugstore ()
Date: May 15, 2007 06:36

Whether they can write is secondary to how seemingly complicated it has become to get together to do it. Mick and Keith do not hang out together. I bet the only time they see each other on these mega tours is on stage. OPhoto shoots etc. But this hanging in each other's hotel room is no more. Hanging at the other's house is no more. They live on different continents. That leaves "official" scheduled meetings. And those require time off, a location ie. room to play, checking with Ron and Charlie too.
It just seems to me that the simplest of all the ingredients that is needed for them to write together is not there: they are not together enough.

"...no longer shall you trudge 'cross my peaceful mind."

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: May 15, 2007 13:19

ChelseaDrugstore Wrote:
> Whether they can write is secondary to how
> seemingly complicated it has become to get
> together to do it. Mick and Keith do not hang out
> together. I bet the only time they see each other
> on these mega tours is on stage. OPhoto shoots
> etc. But this hanging in each other's hotel room
> is no more. Hanging at the other's house is no
> more. They live on different continents. That
> leaves "official" scheduled meetings. And those
> require time off, a location ie. room to play,
> checking with Ron and Charlie too.
> It just seems to me that the simplest of all the
> ingredients that is needed for them to write
> together is not there: they are not together
> enough.

That's sadly, but exactly how it is.

And in recent years, in all offstage situations I have managed to see them together they don't even speak to each other.

Posted by: ablett ()
Date: May 15, 2007 13:38

After knowing each other for most of their lives I don't expect them to 'hang out' together. They both have their own lives and different out lookks on life....

Date: May 15, 2007 14:17

ablett Wrote:
> After knowing each other for most of their lives I
> don't expect them to 'hang out' together. They
> both have their own lives and different out lookks
> on life....

Yes, of course. But a minimum of communication helps when you intend to write songs together...it is not that essential when you just pretend you're writing together...

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: May 15, 2007 14:27

rattler2004 Wrote:
> I have heard no complete Jagger solo material past
> She's the Boss....a fact that I'm both proud and
> thankful.

I can understand why one would want to run away screaming after hearing She's The Boss, but I really think you should give Wandering Spirit a chance. I'm pretty sure you will like it.

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: May 15, 2007 15:04

ChelseaDrugstore Wrote:
> Whether they can write is secondary to how
> seemingly complicated it has become to get
> together to do it. Mick and Keith do not hang out
> together. I bet the only time they see each other
> on these mega tours is on stage. OPhoto shoots
> etc. But this hanging in each other's hotel room
> is no more. Hanging at the other's house is no
> more. They live on different continents. That
> leaves "official" scheduled meetings. And those
> require time off, a location ie. room to play,
> checking with Ron and Charlie too.
> It just seems to me that the simplest of all the
> ingredients that is needed for them to write
> together is not there: they are not together
> enough.

I've maintained that the dip in consistency of songwriting quality has more to do with this than any other factor.

Posted by: ohnonotyouagain ()
Date: May 15, 2007 20:22

I'd rather have a new Stones album than a new Jagger album, even if Jagger writes all the songs. They'd still sound better with Keith, Ronnie and Charlie playing than anyone else he could get.

The Stones hardly play any new songs in concert anyway, so the fact that they probably won't tour for several more years after this one is a moot point to me. It's not like they really supported A Bigger Bang, it wouldn't be much different if they put out a new album and didn't tour behind it at all. At least we'd have the album.

That said, a new Jagger solo album would sure beat a blank. Let's hope it's a lot closer to the great Wandering Spirit than the craptastic Goddess in the Doorway.

Posted by: Justin ()
Date: May 15, 2007 22:04

The Jagger/Richards tie is strong but not at all mushy. Keith and Ronnie show their love for each other so there's no need to doubt that. I can only imagine that Mick and Keith have a brother relationship where they dislike a lot about the other, rarely show affection yet deep down have no choice but to love each other because they are family. Although not real blood relatives, they've known each other since they were toddlers!

They get along perfectly if they both follow one rule: "Don't piss me off."

Posted by: Debra ()
Date: May 15, 2007 22:30

I think Chelsea is correct but I can't see why there's a fuss here and why it can't be accepted that Mick will do solo cds AND Stones cds. It doesn't have to be either/or! Of course, as we can see, Mick doesn't wait around for fans to voice approval over whether or not he SHOULD record his own cd, nor should he! Buy it or don't buy it! I choose to buy it, I happen to love his solo material, and by the way, Goddess was FAR from crap! Lots of really good writing exhibited on it! For those who pan it, I bet they have not even heard it all the way through!

Date: May 15, 2007 22:59

Good points, Debra! I even know two Stones die-hards who for principle reasons don't buy any Jagger solo stuff. They dismiss everything Jagger solo, and I had to force them to listen to Wandering Spirit back then... However, my only objections against Stones solo releases are when they are in fact quite similar to the band's style and approach and when a subsequent Stones album sounds like Mick and Keith kept the best songs for themselves (I already mentioned the Wandering Spirit-Main Offender-Voodoo Lounge phenomenon). In fact, I found Goddess In The Doorway quite refreshing and much more experimental than recent Stones output which, although not bad, tends to sound a bit like "Stones by numbers". I may not like each and every song on solo albums, but then, I could as well live without Driving Too Fast, Dangerous Beauty or Neo-Con from ABB.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: May 15, 2007 23:37

retired_dog Wrote:
> Good points, Debra! I even know two Stones
> die-hards who for principle reasons don't buy any
> Jagger solo stuff. They dismiss everything Jagger
> solo, and I had to force them to listen to
> Wandering Spirit back then... However, my only
> objections against Stones solo releases are when
> they are in fact quite similar to the band's style
> and approach and when a subsequent Stones album
> sounds like Mick and Keith kept the best songs for
> themselves (I already mentioned the Wandering
> Spirit-Main Offender-Voodoo Lounge phenomenon). In
> fact, I found Goddess In The Doorway quite
> refreshing and much more experimental than recent
> Stones output which, although not bad, tends to
> sound a bit like "Stones by numbers". I may not
> like each and every song on solo albums, but then,
> I could as well live without Driving Too Fast,
> Dangerous Beauty or Neo-Con from ABB.

That's good point that keeping the best songs themselves. I think it is more true with Primitive Cool/Talk Is Cheap/Steel Wheels-triangle. The best individual songs - gems, in fact - can be found from the solo albums. Just think the Stones version of "Party Doll" wih rough Keith edge or Mick singing and developing the melodies and lyrics of some Keith rockers... It is a kind of sad thing that many great Jagger OR Richards numbers are now almost forgotten. I would even claim that we would get better BEST OF album from Mick and Keith's solo albums than we would get from the Stones albums during the same period (from 1985 on).

- Doxa

Posted by: mickschix ()
Date: May 16, 2007 01:53

Right on, Retired dog!

Posted by: nankerphlege ()
Date: May 16, 2007 02:37

I like wandering and Goddess, The Winos are my favorite but those two are close second. I am glad Mick does some solo work I think it is interesting to watch his and Keith's creative juices flow even if it is a solo. I think Mick knows he will never be a "genuine" sales solo success, that being the case I hope does it because he wants to musically and if he makes a good product I have no problem paying for his services. But of course I would prefer a Stones album. Who on this board wouldn't? Note; I hope I didn't just start a Taylor vs. Wood debate! Haha!!

Go Dawgs!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-05-16 02:39 by nankerphlege.

Posted by: it's_all_wrong ()
Date: May 16, 2007 08:26

Debra Wrote:
> I think Chelsea is correct but I can't see why
> there's a fuss here and why it can't be accepted
> that Mick will do solo cds AND Stones cds.

Because Mick saves the good stuff for his solo albums, leaving some truly great songs unrecognized in his solo stuff and leaving Stones albums with lesser songs. It's a lose-lose deal. After writing Wandering Spirit, look what he wrote for Voodoo Lounge, crap like Out Of Tears and Sparks Will Fly. And lots of stuff Goddess In The Doorway could have had their place on a Stones album, but wind up on a flop solo album with this disgusting made for the Top 40 production (although not every song suffers from this), and Jagger's self-consciousness permeates the whole album, more than on any other of his solo albums.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1744
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home