Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
New live dvd and Jagger solo?
Posted by: Jimmie ()
Date: May 12, 2007 10:11

I have been away for a while.. is there a new live dvd coming out this year?
And I´ve also heard a bout a Jagger solo album?
Any news about this?

Re: New live dvd and Jagger solo?
Posted by: FrankM ()
Date: May 12, 2007 10:52

Yes on both counts but not sure of the release dates. Glad Jagger wrote some songs but can't understand why he is doing a solo album at this point in his career instead of putting his songs on a new Stones album.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: May 12, 2007 11:09

FrankM Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Yes on both counts but not sure of the release
> dates. Glad Jagger wrote some songs but can't
> understand why he is doing a solo album at this
> point in his career instead of putting his songs
> on a new Stones album.

I think the reason for Jagger going solo is that he should do the album mostly by himself in any case, My guess is that Keith is not anymore in the condition to make albums. He has done his share and we should be happy for all those things he has provides us!

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-05-12 11:11 by Doxa.

Date: May 12, 2007 11:21

Sorry, I put this message to wrong threat, and edited now. Sorry.

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-05-12 11:27 by Doxa.

Posted by: rattler2004 ()
Date: May 12, 2007 18:12

FrankM Wrote:
> Yes on both counts but not sure of the release
> dates. Glad Jagger wrote some songs but can't
> understand why he is doing a solo album at this
> point in his career instead of putting his songs
> on a new Stones album.

As far as the solo stuff...the songs on those are not up to the Stones standard....in other words their not good.

the shoot 'em dead, brainbell jangler!

Posted by: FrankM ()
Date: May 12, 2007 19:42

Doxa Wrote:
> FrankM Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Yes on both counts but not sure of the release
> > dates. Glad Jagger wrote some songs but can't
> > understand why he is doing a solo album at this
> > point in his career instead of putting his
> songs
> > on a new Stones album.
>
>
> I think the reason for Jagger going solo is that
> he should do the album mostly by himself in any
> case, My guess is that Keith is not anymore in
> the condition to make albums. He has done his
> share and we should be happy for all those things
> he has provides us!
>
> - Doxa

I don't buy that. Performing live over the course of two years is much harder than sitting in a studio and making records. Has nothing to do with Keith's condition. Has more to do with Jagger's ego and his insistence on being a solo act.

Keith is capable of writing a couple songs. Add them to Jagger's best songs and you'll have 10-12 songs for a new Stones album.

Also don't buy the fact that his solo stuff isn't up to par. Forget the eightees stuff- most eightees stuff sounds like crap these days. WS was just as good as VL and ABB. GITD wasn't great but it was good.

Posted by: farawayeyes2 ()
Date: May 12, 2007 20:06

i fear u are right. making a new stones album would be write like 10 new songs all alone for Jagger. Like ABB, keith is not writing as much as he used to do. And put the band together after such a long world tour. Tell Charlie..And arrange a new world tour for promotion, cuz the stones when they do something, they do it BIG. And Jagger would do 80% of the things.

Posted by: john r ()
Date: May 12, 2007 20:49

Whether Keith is writing "as much" these days is less relevent, imo, than the fact that The Rolling Stones working together are capable (even on much of ABcool smiley of magic, whereas Mick solo is labored at worst, very good at best - and Matt Clifford or Dave Stewart aren't Keith, Ron, or Charlie. There have been other times - Some Girls, Goats Head - when Keith clearly had less of a hand in the writing but still made essential contributions - including to "Mick" songs.

Posted by: melillo ()
Date: May 13, 2007 03:50

jagger keeps putting out solo efforts in wake of that smash hit that will never come, he is not clapton , he is not sting, he is a rolling stone thru and thru, he should accept it and move on

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: May 13, 2007 12:09

farawayeyes2 Wrote:
> i fear u are right. making a new stones album
> would be write like 10 new songs all alone for
> Jagger. Like ABB, keith is not writing as much as
> he used to do. And put the band together after
> such a long world tour. Tell Charlie..And arrange
> a new world tour for promotion, cuz the stones
> when they do something, they do it BIG. And Jagger
> would do 80% of the things.

Of course we are all speculating, but, yes, your post reflects my thoughts in a different thread a couple of weeks ago! "Making a new stones album would be write like 10 new songs all alone for Jagger" - and then have all 10 new songs credited to Jagger-Richards despite the fact that Keith has nothing to do with them...just because of the deal...everything is Jagger-Richards within the Stones...

Posted by: Niklas ()
Date: May 13, 2007 12:48

Please tell me why Keith isn't capable of witing songs anymore? I don't get that at all. Mick has wanted to do different things for the last 30 years, and that's fine by me. Some of his stuff are great, some a little boring, but so what? His been into films since the 70's and records since the 80's. I think Mick and keith has done a lot of work together on the Stones' latest records. Who has the ideas and so on doesn't really matter, and for sure Keith still make good songs if he want to.

Posted by: vudicus ()
Date: May 13, 2007 13:43

x

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-11-21 13:03 by vudicus.

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: May 13, 2007 14:02

rattler2004 Wrote:
> As far as the solo stuff...the songs on those are
> not up to the Stones standard....in other words
> their not good.

You don't think Wandering Spirit would have been a great Stones record?

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: Raoul Duke ()
Date: May 13, 2007 14:49

Premised that any new material is good for me, I would indeed prefer it if the album were at least in part a collaborative effort. Mick is capable of writing very good songs on his own. Even his best solo stuff, however, is missing that edge that only Keith's guitar sound can give. Wandering Spirit is a decent record, but could have been a fantastic one with Keith, Ronnie, and Charlie.

Date: May 13, 2007 15:11

Raoul Duke Wrote:

> Wandering Spirit is a decent record, but could have been a
> fantastic one with Keith, Ronnie, and Charlie.

My take on this is that Wandering Spirit is a fantastic record, but could have been a stellar one with Keith, Ronnie, and Charlie!

Or...just imagine the best songs from VL, Wandering Spirit and Main Offender - it would make an album that could have rivalled Exile...just my thoughts.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-05-14 13:23 by retired_dog.

Posted by: HelterSkelter ()
Date: May 13, 2007 16:46

My take on this is from the sound of the shape Keith and Ronnie are in their touring days are much shorter than "In-perfect-shape" Mick who will probably go on 20 years after those 2 kick it or can't do it anymore. I'm not sure it's ego, I just think Jagger is playing it safe concerning the future (and his future, sooner or later, will be a solo career). On top of that if they put out a new album later this year it would be very strange for them to not do a monster tour supporting it...They'd have to take a year off AT LEAST......

Date: May 13, 2007 17:11

HelterSkelter:

Agree. Of course, Jagger is an insider who knows exactly what's going on with the Stones whereas we have to rely on our observations and stories we hear from inside the Stones camp. And despite the more or less general enthusiasm on this board about the ABB tour there were also clear signs of falling apart at certain times. However, they somehow always managed to get their act together again when problems became all too apparent, and as fans we always hope that they will be able to continue this in future like a cat with nine lives. But realistic as Jagger is, he does not see the Stones from a fans's point of view. He certainly has to take into account that there were clear warning signs throughout the ABB tour and that the Stones at some point in the future might run into problems that cannot be solved like in the past.

Posted by: normanplace ()
Date: May 13, 2007 17:12

Wandering Voodoo Offender....it is an iPOD playlist I put together...

You Got Me Rocking
Sweet Thing
Love Is Strong
Don’t Tear Me Up
The Worst (maybe use as a b-side?)
Use Me
Out of Tears
I Go Wild
Eileen
Hate It When You Leave
Moon Is Up
Evening Gown
Blinded By Rainbows
Hang On To Me Tonight
Wicked As It Seems

Posted by: bv ()
Date: May 13, 2007 17:52

The new Stones DVD will be out soon, next month. The new Jagger studio album will not be out until after the Stones tour is finished, close to winter i.e. end of this year.

Bjornulf

Posted by: KSIE ()
Date: May 13, 2007 18:39

I think there is an agreement with Scorcese that no new Stones material is to be released "x" number of months before or after the release of the Beacon documentary. Perhaps this has something to do with Mick releasing solo. He had material ready and the timing was right (that is, no Stones disc could be released this year anyway).

Karl

Date: May 13, 2007 18:41

HelterSkelter Wrote:
> My take on this is from the sound of the shape
> Keith and Ronnie are in their touring days are
> much shorter than "In-perfect-shape" Mick who will
> probably go on 20 years after those 2 kick it or
> can't do it anymore. I'm not sure it's ego, I just
> think Jagger is playing it safe concerning the
> future (and his future, sooner or later, will be a
> solo career). On top of that if they put out a new
> album later this year it would be very strange for
> them to not do a monster tour supporting
> it...They'd have to take a year off AT LEAST......

Yeah, I agree with the point that there is no reason to do a Stones album unless there is new huge tour in plan. In fact, I think ABB was solely done just to give an excuse for a new mega tour, and they put minimal effort in accomplishing it. It almost looks like the only substantial function the album had was to give a name for the tour, like giving an own identity (even though the content was just the same as before)...

But Jagger seeems to be energetic, creative man, perhaps even workaholic - that's why we got all these solo albums, movie productions, soundtracks, etc. we all love so much smiling smiley... Keith, in contrary, seems to enjoy the fruits of his old accomplishments, his status as a Rolling Stone, liek an elder stateman of rock, who does not to accomplish anything anymore. Just play some little guitar here and there and act "Keith Richards" without too many responsibilities of the output or hard labour - be it a new Stones album (Mick in charge), Stones tour (Mick and Chuck in charge), a tribute to 'another good friend', a cameo role, etc. But we all love him just being Keith Richards, don't we?

- Doxa

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2007-05-13 18:44 by Doxa.

Date: May 13, 2007 18:47

----

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-05-13 18:48 by Doxa.

Posted by: billwebster ()
Date: May 13, 2007 20:40

Oh, I hadn't known about such a deal with Scorcese.

Anyway, maybe Mick's songs are a bit more experimental than what he has done so far on his solo records, so as that it wouldn't make sense to put them out as a Stones release? Or he might still need to deliver one solo record to Virgin/EMI under the old contract before the Stones can be free agents?

It's still possible that he changes his mind and turns his songs into a Stones album. We'll see if that develops.

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: May 13, 2007 22:57

I don't see what's so bad about Jagger doing a solo album, unless that prevents Stones from doing something together.
It's much better that Jagger goes all the way by making an entire album on his own, than making guest appearances and soundtracks, which is the alternative, as Jagger seems to be a workoholic, mentioned above.

Posted by: rooster ()
Date: May 14, 2007 00:44

HelterSkelter Wrote:
> My take on this is from the sound of the shape
> Keith and Ronnie are in their touring days are
> much shorter than "In-perfect-shape" Mick who will
> probably go on 20 years after those 2 kick it or
> can't do it anymore. I'm not sure it's ego, I just
> think Jagger is playing it safe concerning the
> future (and his future, sooner or later, will be a
> solo career). On top of that if they put out a new
> album later this year it would be very strange for
> them to not do a monster tour supporting
> it...They'd have to take a year off AT LEAST......

Reasons to believe this is the last tour.

Posted by: artinis1 ()
Date: May 14, 2007 04:24

from nick,

hey bjornulf, can you please let us know if we are going to get some official news about the live dvd set soon, i see where you said it is coming out next month, so how much longer till we get all the good info ? thanks

Posted by: soundcheck ()
Date: May 14, 2007 09:02

.... alright mick,, some more sounds coming,,,, thank you...... he has my full applause be it something i will like or not

......,, and good thing there is life after the rolling stones, like good thing mars isnt the only planet in our solar system.....

.. interesting how some view achievers/producers as workolohics, and drunks or loadies as just being lazy.........

Posted by: Debra ()
Date: May 15, 2007 02:37

I'm sick to death of people who slam Mick for doing his thing and dissing the work that he's done on these cds! Just because Keith chooses not to do a solo cd, they have to disparage Mick's efforts which truly shows their jealousy! Wandering Spirit, Goddess and even SOME of Primitive Cool are excellent, although I do admit all of the songs are not A+. It's a boring topic because there is no conclusion, just two camps, those who applaud Mick's efforts and those that resent that his material is NOT Stones material! And Mick's efforts ARE as good as Sting's any day!

Posted by: melillo ()
Date: May 15, 2007 05:05

do you really think that if micks solo albums were blockbusters that the stones would have done all this touring since 89, think again

Posted by: stonesfrk ()
Date: May 15, 2007 05:13

melillo Wrote:
> do you really think that if micks solo albums were
> blockbusters that the stones would have done all
> this touring since 89, think again

melillo,you seem to not make much since. What's your point? What if Keef's albums went qualdruple platinum? What then? even though we all know Keef's stuff sold way more,then Mick's solo effort.What do you think if Mick's solo stuff sold really well the Stones would of never played again? Think Again

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1433
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home