Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Stones/Nils Lofgren - Goldmine 698
Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: May 11, 2007 16:20

Goldmine magazine - Issue 698 - 27 April 2007

ROCKMAN

Re: Stones/Nils Lofgren - Goldmine 698
Posted by: rollmops ()
Date: May 11, 2007 16:35

Nils Lofgren said he wrote "Keith don't go" in 1975 after he heard a rumour that Keith wanted to quit the Stones. It is the only time I have heard that Keith wanted to quit his band. Nils is good but he isn't a rolling stone. Ronnie was the best and only choice for the Stones. I am glad Ronnie eventually agreed to join in.
Thank Rockman,
Mops

Posted by: marcovandereijk ()
Date: May 11, 2007 17:03

"you can be one of the many that come and sit in. That never happened. Ronnie changed his mind soon after that"

Well, I don't know. There was some sort of audition wasn't there? Like with the recording of Black & Blue? How else did Wayne Perkins and Harvey Mandel come to join in? I guess there is more truth in Keith biography where the author claims Lofgren did show up for the audition but was turned down. But if I were Nils I would not be to proud of that fact.

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: May 11, 2007 18:16

Nils is an extremely nice guy. I met him a couple of times backstage at Stones shows, and I must say he is a fan like us! Probably too much of a fan to be actually a part of the band...

Posted by: hickorywind ()
Date: May 11, 2007 23:53

Met Nils after a gig in Glasgow and must say he is a very nice genuine guy. This took place before the Rising Tour and at that stage Nils wasn't sure if the E Street Band would be going out on the road again!
A great guitarist and performer .

Posted by: john r ()
Date: May 12, 2007 01:07

My impression as far as "Keith Don't Go" was that it was in response to rumors of KR's possible demise circa '73, when his habit was pretty obvious & he was getting busted alot.

Posted by: livewithme ()
Date: May 12, 2007 02:41

I recall Nils saying that this song was saying that Keith should not go to Toronto to face trial because of the liklihood that he would be sentenced to jail. Obviously Keith worked it out better than expected because there was widespread concern that Keith would do serious time.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-05-12 02:41 by livewithme.

Posted by: hoodooyouvoodoo ()
Date: May 12, 2007 09:05

never mind nice gut (which he is). Nils is an extraordinary guitar player. But he is American and the Stones are a british band. Thats the reason Ronnie got the job.

juiced up and sloppy

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: May 12, 2007 16:30

Summer of '77 we're waiting in line to see Nils play at the Roxy--which was one of the gigs recorded for the live "Night After Night" album released later that year.

We are actually standing just past where the building ends, and we see Nils and the entire band walk out of an exit near the back and get into this car--one of those giant station wagons with the fake wood paneling on the side. Nils is driving, and pulls up to where we are lined up so that he can turn out onto the street. But there's one of those wooden traffic barracades that's blocking the entrance/exit.

So Nils--himself--gets out and moves it. And then everyone in line who was standing next to the barracade stepped out of the way so that the car could pull out. I never forgot that moment, seeing the Star being such a humble, regular guy.

The buddy I was with later wrote a mutual friend that he really like the show, but what impressed him the most about Nils was the fact that he made an unimpeded left on Sunset!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-05-12 19:12 by loog droog.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1840
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home