Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Strange casting for stones dvd scorsese
Posted by: Beelyboy ()
Date: May 1, 2007 03:11

mofour, i wasn't expecting a concert film per se...i'd enjoy an overview of the event and some career history footage and pix of course i would...and 'color' shots and interviews and stuff...it was an event for sure...

marty can go overboard the other way in his 'docu' projects ala dylan...and spend over 3 hours and still manage to tease and cutaway from even one full on performance straight thru, and this is holy grail stuff...past a certain point, he just dosen't get it...(in no way is this a criticism or an attempt to diminish his legacy as a feature director...who's gonna argue if 'raging bull' wasn't one of the most brilliant films ever...)
and yes he has used stones songs, in his movies to great effect...
they are great and dramatic and amazing songs...
nevertheless i do not have faith in him as a historical documentarian or even as a cohesive presenter of another artists performances with sensitivity or cohesions. in 'last waltz' it is 98% the bill graham show with great performances from the greatest stars who shared a deep history together in that scene...the docu stuff on the band and the event itself was well worth of rob reiner's perfect 'marty debergi' satire; a good guy involed and motivated but essentially clueless character in 'this is spinal tap'

the dylan thing went backward and forward in time with weird empahses on minatiue out of context...tho it was culled entirely from clips that scorcese did not direct, or was even present for...it was grand in many ways...that footage is priceless...an important document, but you never heard the title song except in two brief verses both quickly cutaway...this does not show an awareness of a golden moment of sustained dramatic intensity like his classic long shot in goodfellas does as the couple goes from the taxi, thru the kithen all the way finally to the club where a table is set up and they sit down and start watching jerry vale or somebody live on the stage...all in one long historic beautifully composed shot...ONE sustainenned live take...

he 'gets' that kinda dramatic exposition and compistion as a film artist, but does not as a rock or folk music fan imo...
thus my apprehensions about the project. just an opinion. i love the band and feel involvement in what they come out with because it's important to me as a fan. just an opinon. just a movie...but maybe...something transcendent that should be uncovered and allowed on display in the here and new power of what they are???
one song? two? three? a half dozen? i ain't that hard to please if he'll work with the concept a bit...jeeze...
lol
...he's got to put more sustained performances in there and concentrate on the band members...or i'm gonna write an angry email to one of the production assistants dammit. if he expects me to help him edit this, he better get me scheduled soon as i have a heavy schedule this spring and summer...
i'm a stones fan man; i want it raw and real and sweaty and close...
winking smiley

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: May 1, 2007 03:11

Right Helter. They've been interviewed a couple million times. I don't think we are going to learn anything new at this point. Show us unlucky masses who were'nt at the Beacon, some good concert footage.

Posted by: HelterSkelter ()
Date: May 1, 2007 03:15

Lukester Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> speaking of watered down........I need to take a
> piss...........I'l be back in a minute...........

One of the many great things about Lukester, he's so in touch with nature.... was living GREEN before the movement even started.....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-05-01 03:18 by HelterSkelter.

Date: May 1, 2007 03:17

scorcese again has the keys to the kingdom; all the mayles footages from gs and other stuff...this is a calm but legitmate concern that it dosen't turn into the marty show...we have not seen some of this old footage ever and might never get another chance...dont' wanna be teased...

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: May 1, 2007 03:18

HelterSkelter Wrote:
> Lukester Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > speaking of watered down........I need to take
> a
> > piss...........I'l be back in a
> minute...........
>
> One of the many great things about Lukester, he's
> so in touch with nature.... was living GREEN
> before the momement even started.....
Sounds like he's living yellow at the moment.grinning smiley

"It's just some friends of mine and they're busting down the door"

Date: May 1, 2007 03:32

YELLOW and PROUD !!! (depends what his beverage of choice is today - must be getting primed for Larry King in half an hour)

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: May 1, 2007 03:38

Lukester Wrote:
> beely, my friend, I love Scorsese as much as the
> next Deniro/Pacino fan but I have a gut feeling
> (not that I have much of a gut, mind you) that
> Scorsese is going to overproduce this movie and
> only give us snippets of concert footage a la
> "Don't Look Back"..........I hope I'm wrong

Personally, I fear you're right and have done all along.

A lot of folks are getting worked up about this film as if we're going to get a shitload of great concert footage from the two Beacon shows. I honestly cant see how we're going to get THAT much in a film of (probably) two hours or less, when you take into account the fact that theres going to be archive footage (and even the amount of THAT has to be limited and will hardly scratch the surface of a 45 year career) plus the documentary and interview material that will be there too.

It just strikes me that theyre trying to cram so many things into 2 hours that whatever aspect of the film youre looking forward to seeing most (Beacon, archive material, documentary, interviews etc) you're going to get less than you may have hoped.

I would honestly be surprised if there's more than about 25-30 minutes of Beacon footage. I'd like to believe that it'll be complete songs. The whole thing would excite me more if it was done over several hours in two parts a la No Direction Home, and leave more scope for more music. I hope I'm wrong.

Posted by: Lukester ()
Date: May 1, 2007 03:40

I'm primed for something Skelter..........but she aint Larry King.............as Sweetcharmer can tell you I was a sober as a nun all weekend....and now I'm ready to let it all hang out with this nearly toothless woman from Tennessee and her beauty pagaent sister.........I'll keep you posted.....later

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: May 1, 2007 03:42

Good grief, that was 30 minutes, Lukester!

Posted by: little queenie ()
Date: May 1, 2007 03:47

nice detective work with the cannes connection, beely and turd!

Date: May 1, 2007 03:58

So Lukester, how do those gums feel when the teeth are missin'? Is it true what thy say?....

GAZZA, you KNOW what's gonna happen. we'll get a 125 minute film and then when the DVD comes out they'll INCLUDE a second disc with 2 hours of extra, never - before - seen footage making the DVD much better than the movie for us performance/in concert fans

Posted by: drake ()
Date: May 1, 2007 04:04

They made it abundantly clear to all of us at the Beacon (real fans and poser actors/models) that this was infact a movie. All of us hardcores kindof laughed it off but it turns out that really is what they're going for.

I'm still pissed off about the 100 or so fake-titted, fake-blonde-w/highlights, "who's playing this thing?", "does my hair look OK?", "how much are we getting paid for this?" models got hired to be in the pit. The GOOD news is that the rest of the joint was packed with nothing but real fans. So f*ck those 100 models. I could care less.

All I care about is that they played a great set, both nights, it was filmed by a completely professional crew and is being directed by Scorsese. I have my complaints like anyone else but I'll wait to judge the film til I see it, or atleast the trailer...

-Drake

Posted by: open-g ()
Date: May 1, 2007 04:37

Well said, Drake.

It's a bit too early to critisize a film when none of us have seen an inch of it.

So they need a few shots of folks at the backdoor - so what, big deal.
maybe just to scroll the names and credits on...

Posted by: angee ()
Date: May 1, 2007 05:17

Drake, hi. I know you were in the front, while I was up in the balcony second night, had signed on with the Wed. extras that never were...

I was out in back of the theater, near the doors the first night, waiting for the band with many other folks. However, we were kept across the street by security, and so did our waving and greeting from there. I guess they need to film that "better", eh?

Then there were the sound extras used in LA all day a few months ago, hired to watch actual concert footage and scream. (Did you ever see VC's short snippets from the second show?) In any case, I'm still looking forward to seeing the film.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-05-01 05:19 by angee.

Date: May 1, 2007 05:41

angee Wrote:
>> Then there were the sound extras used in LA all
> day a few months ago, hired to watch actual
> concert footage and scream.

ohmygod.
oh
my
god
does that suck more than it stinks or stink more than it sucks...hard to say.
well he's the (occasional) master of filmed FICTION...here comes my 19th nervous breakdown.
somebody must've finally given marty a 'live' kiss album i guess.

p.s. hi angee!
smiling smiley

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2007-05-01 05:49 by Beelyboy.

Posted by: little queenie ()
Date: May 1, 2007 06:20

angee Wrote:

> Then there were the sound extras used in LA all
> day a few months ago, hired to watch actual
> concert footage and scream.

Is that what ended up happening? I never heard anything more past the initial rumors about something happening in LA...

Who were the extras for this one? Same types as the Beacon?

Posted by: steffiestones ()
Date: May 1, 2007 06:23

Keep me updated if there is shoot planned in belgium on 28 - 29 mai

Posted by: angee ()
Date: May 1, 2007 06:25

Yes, LQ. It happened. I read one detailed report somewhere.
Anyone who could get to LA for it, who heard about it. There was food in another room so that people could take a break whenever. The footage was supposed to be exciting. More varied types from the first call for the Beacon, from what I recall. Younger, older, fans and non-fans.

(Hi, BeelyB!)

Date: May 1, 2007 06:36

strange strange strange
shame sahme shame

Date: May 1, 2007 07:16

As U2/Bono put it SO well, "Even Better than the Real Thing" - what band is this again ? Wonder how much overdubbing the music's gonna get - every note PERFECT !!! Alright, just like Celine Dion !!!

Date: May 1, 2007 08:17

A fan likes to get as close to the real thing as he can get,so I hope this project wont be High class Copy and Paste work..
Rolling stones gather no moss,lets hope for it

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: May 1, 2007 13:53

I bet that this film will be totally awesome and that all of you will agree once you've seen it.

JumpingKentFlash

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1324
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home