Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT: Tommy (The Who)
Posted by: mrrockandroll ()
Date: April 27, 2007 19:26

The CD 'Tommy' of The Who contains other versions of the songs than featured in the movie.... like Acid Queen is sung by Rodger Daltrey on the cd, and in the movie it's sung by Tina Turner. I've read somewhere that the CD was released a few years prior to the movie. How come? Why did they do it like that? Has a CD ever been released with the real movie soundtrack (like Acid Queen sung by Tina Turner and Eyesight To The Blind sung by Eric Clapton and Pinball Wizard sung by Elton John... those versions are smokin'!)???

Re: OT: Tommy (The Who)
Posted by: bruno ()
Date: April 27, 2007 19:35

The album was released in 68 or 69. The movie, based on the opera, was released somewhere around 1975. Why did they do it like that? When they recorded the album the movie wasn't even an idea... I suppose that after the success of Tommy, some business man have the idea of filming a movie based on the characters of the album. Simple as that.

So the original idea was the album, not the movie.

[There'll be no wedding today...]

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: April 27, 2007 20:25

So far as I can tell, there are 3 different versions of Tommy - the original; the original with I think the London Symphony? - it's with an orchestra; and the soundtrack to the film.

Posted by: Odd-beat ()
Date: April 27, 2007 20:35

...To say nothing of the few live-in-concert rock group (The Who) versions!

And what was yet this other version still with a different cast, including Ringo Starr as Uncle Erny, if my memory is good that came out as a double LP in 1972? Is this the one with the London Symph.?

Posted by: Bingo ()
Date: April 27, 2007 20:54

I saw The Who do "Tommy" at Radio City Music Hall in 89'.....Radio City has been good to me...I got to see The Stones and The Who there....now I need a Led Zep re-union at RCMH and all will be good with the world.

Posted by: CindyC ()
Date: April 27, 2007 20:57

I absolutely love the album (except the Cousin Kevin song, which I can't stand the vocals of). 1921 is fantastic. I love Pete's vocals on the line "but somehow when you smile, I can brave bad weather".

Wasn't looking too good, but I was feeling real well.

Posted by: turnersmemo ()
Date: April 27, 2007 21:53

The original Tommy album is good. The live bootlegs from the 69 tour (feat. the whole rock opera) are even better!

Listen to this one from Amsterdam: [www.guitars101.com]. Such incredible power an energy in this performance, The Who were a really great live band!

Date: April 27, 2007 22:20

but there ain't never an album released with the 'real' MOVIE soundtrack?

Posted by: Nikolai ()
Date: April 27, 2007 22:20

And then there's Tommy,the Broadway musical, which Pete wrote an extra song for. Which makes it four different versions of Tommy.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: April 27, 2007 22:23

Who (besides The Who) had a hit with "Overture From Tommy"? Had this on a mix 8-track but lost it.

"No Anchovies, Please"

Posted by: custom55 ()
Date: April 27, 2007 22:30

I have a B&W boot of the entire Woodstock/Tommy performance. Townshend was incredible !!!

Date: April 27, 2007 22:34

mrrockandroll Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> but there ain't never an album released with the
> 'real' MOVIE soundtrack?

Posted by: Beelyboy ()
Date: April 27, 2007 22:48

i saw the who perform since '67 thru '71 many many times...thanks to God...
including entire tommy performances closer to '70...
the merriweawther post pavillion in maryland show...and particularly both shows at New York's Metropolitan Opera House...now that was a kick...and a half. at the effin met!!! it was undeniable brilliant work everywhere in the culture...and it was hard effin rock...and so beautiful conceived, written and executed...(had seem them pre-tommy also)...hitting on a joint in the Metropolitan Opera House was quite appropriate for a classy night out, doncha theenk?
what a sterling piece of work; an amazing journey indeed...don't think anything beats the studio version except for some live versions...i personally stay away from the movie and play and all subsequent versions...also, if i remember correctly, tho Who fans were in on it from the gitgo...The Who were still mostly a 'cult' band in the states unti Tommy, which to my memory, did NOT become the icon high water mark that it became popularity wise till it had been out for about a year or so...in jr. and some of my snr. high school in the states during the sixties, it was very rare to find someone who was hip to their earlier albums...they had me at "The Who Sings My Generation." loved 'em completely up till that last album with moon...

Date: April 27, 2007 23:17

turnersmemo Wrote:
> mrrockandroll Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > but there ain't never an album released with
> the
> > 'real' MOVIE soundtrack?
>
>
>
> [i168.photobucket.com]
> o/TommySoundtrack.jpg

is that one still available on cd?

Date: April 27, 2007 23:21

mrrockandroll Wrote:
> turnersmemo Wrote:
> -----
> > mrrockandroll Wrote:
> >
>
> > -----
> > > but there ain't never an album released with
> > the
> > > 'real' MOVIE soundtrack?
> >
> >
> >
> >
> [i168.photobucket.com]
>
> > o/TommySoundtrack.jpg
>
>
> is that one still available on cd?

Yes, [www.amazon.com]

Posted by: Happy Jack ()
Date: April 28, 2007 02:23

Beelyboy Wrote:
> i saw the who perform since '67 thru '71 many many
> times...thanks to God...
> including entire tommy performances closer to
> '70...
> the merriweawther post pavillion in maryland
> show...and particularly both shows at New York's
> Metropolitan Opera House...now that was a
> kick...and a half. at the effin met!!! it was
> undeniable brilliant work everywhere in the
> culture...and it was hard effin rock...and so
> beautiful conceived, written and executed...(had
> seem them pre-tommy also)...hitting on a joint in
> the Metropolitan Opera House was quite appropriate
> for a classy night out, doncha theenk?
> what a sterling piece of work; an amazing journey
> indeed...don't think anything beats the studio
> version except for some live versions...i
> personally stay away from the movie and play and
> all subsequent versions...also, if i remember
> correctly, tho Who fans were in on it from the
> gitgo...The Who were still mostly a 'cult' band in
> the states unti Tommy, which to my memory, did NOT
> become the icon high water mark that it became
> popularity wise till it had been out for about a
> year or so...in jr. and some of my snr. high
> school in the states during the sixties, it was
> very rare to find someone who was hip to their
> earlier albums...they had me at "The Who Sings My
> Generation." loved 'em completely up till that
> last album with moon...

WOW! Ive always wondered how cool it mustve been to see them at their height, and if you saw them pre-1969, does that mean you saw them in clubs as well?

Posted by: custom55 ()
Date: April 28, 2007 03:07

just some fav pics of Pete

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: April 28, 2007 05:08

I've always liked the original Tommy album by the Who best.
I saw The Who a number of times in their hey day. You know, they had their own bad boy Keith.

Ken Russell's film is laughable at times, IMO.

Bingo mentioned the Who performing Tommy in 1989 at Radio City... I saw that one too.

Posted by: Beelyboy ()
Date: April 28, 2007 05:21

Happy Jack Wrote:
> Beelyboy Wrote:
> -----
> > i saw the who perform since '67 thru '71 many
> many
> > times...thanks to God...
> > including entire tommy performances closer to
> > '70...
> >>
>
> WOW! Ive always wondered how cool it mustve been
> to see them at their height, and if you saw them
> pre-1969, does that mean you saw them in clubs as
> well?

HJ:
i've not ever seen them in a club actually. someone here must've tho!

i was incorrect, i've not seen them in '67...summer '68 was my inaugeral Who show. tho i do not believe they played clubs in the states prior to their '68 arrival; correct me i'm wrong please.

while they were still playing marquee and such in UK '68, they were playing major auditoriums like The Shrine and Fillmore East...big auditoriums, halls, domes, universitys and ballrooms in n. america...(also stadiums in Australia in very early '68)...
(they were also playing bigger theatres and such in UK and Europe, as well as certain clubs at the time)...
but i was a kid in nyc and that's my perspective on them in '68, (tho i would later see them in maryland and other states...so my perspective is from the states and i've seen them five times between 68--71.) once with full access, helped the crew load-in, met pete and roger...(this was an amphitheatre gig that was opened by zep...whew...)

first time i ever saw them as a free concert in Central Park, August 7, 1968.
there is supposedly a tape circulating somewhere from this show but i have never heard it, except live that is.

Setlist:
Substitute, Heaven And Hell, I Can't Explain, Magic Bus, Young Man Blues, Shakin' All Over, My Generation

in some other post, if you'd like, i'll try to describe what i remember...
but let's just say i'd never seen a guy jump that high and fierce, not even in the olympics or anything...i had NEVER seen anything close to the violent ferocity and utter sublime joy of a spectacle like that...they were assaulting the very air and eating your face with this gorgeous explosion...it was pandemonium, in a real good way...

what can you say that hasn't been said before about ox and moon...or any of 'em...god they were brilliant, and i'm glad i saw them before they were huge icons...tho the coterie of who fans at the time was modest, it was absolutely fierce...absolutely...

i had 'the who sings my generation' 'happy jack' 'magic bus' 'the who sell out'
so there was already a lot of material for the young who fanatic before tommy...
(including that ep of stones songs they cut in solidarity with the boyz while they were having legal difficulties)

i got a big piece of Pete's guitar after the smash-up...the cutaway portion; the thing was splintered and ripped to shreds...it was a mosh before there were moshes i guess...a lil' bit of a riot, but no one got hurt and it wasn't mean or anything...but reaaaalll effin' wild...real wild...totally wild.
this was just a few months before the rock and roll circus filming with the boyz back from whence they came...

as far as i know, the earliest american show i'm aware of was in june '67 at fillmore west...to be followed a day or two later by the monterey pop festival...and i first saw 'em about a year later...
...they went immediately to convention halls, municipal auditoriums, even arenas sorta like hollywood bowl, boston garden, certainly big theares...(they might not have 'headlined' each of these however)

i believe in UK, as 'the who' they started clubbing in earnest early '65...
but happy jack, you and thousands others will know this period better than i do...
nope i never did see 'em in a club...
i have seen them four other times also, all with original personnel, circa 68-71.

here's a flyer for a show that i did not see...but from '68...i think olklahoma.

john live in '68

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-04-28 05:28 by Beelyboy.

Posted by: Happy Jack ()
Date: April 28, 2007 21:41

Thats awesome beelyboy. It sounds like it wouldve been awesome to see them prior to Tommy, when they were more of a cult band (i guess even through Tommy they might have been to, considering they didnt start playing stadiums earnestly till 75). IF i can find the central park 68 gig, Ill try and post it.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1878
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home