Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234
Current Page: 4 of 4
Brian Wilson Favorite Stones Song is My Obsession from 1967.
Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: August 2, 2021 19:49

[faroutmagazine.co.uk]

"I'm not @#$%& surprised "
Nate Diaz

Color me speechless.

Brian Wilson's favorite song is gonna surprise everyone here except Rockmanfucious.

Oh my goodness I am sorry to see this is old news and fans way ahead of me are likely knowing about this forever. I didn't really mean to start a Between the Buttons thread but will see ei can think of an interesting angle into One of my most played Stones records in the 60's and 70's...

Please forgive. It came up on a feed with a recent picture of Brian and I thought it Recent.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2021-08-02 19:59 by hopkins.

Re: Brian Wilson Favorite Stones Song is My Obsession from 1967.
Posted by: dmay ()
Date: August 2, 2021 21:50

A great song from a rather under-rated album, IMHO. Would that the Stones would again go wild in sound like this one. Listen to it through headphones.

Posted by: jbwelda ()
Date: August 3, 2021 00:34

One of the few times I agree with Brian Wilson. Always thought that track was a dark standout.

jb

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: August 3, 2021 02:37

Always loved this.. haven't played it in years though.
Good pick, Brian!

Posted by: georgie48 ()
Date: August 4, 2021 17:16

I think it was in 1998 that someone asked which "odd" song of the Stones would you like them to play live. Well yes: My Obsession
Even though the song is not in my top 10 of "best Stones songs" it radiates an immense power and the changes, restarts, emphasis of entering different instruments like piano and bass, are incredible. The guy who had asked me said "no way they can play this one live". Still, I think they should give it a try
cool smiley

I'm a GHOST living in a ghost town

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: August 5, 2021 13:17

All Sold Out and several others on Buttons are quite adventurous I think. Obviously it's not Let It Bleed but what is? Not Aftermath either but it's got it's charm, power and originality as they stretched and grew...

Date: August 5, 2021 13:50

Killer tune. For some reason I'm not surprised Brian picked that one.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: August 5, 2021 14:14

Please Go Home --- Bo Diddley on acid ....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: micha063 ()
Date: August 5, 2021 19:52

I always liked that number. One of the many tunes, I covered. Great to do it in your own way. If this is possible, a tune is quite good...

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: August 5, 2021 22:19

My obsession sounds like something that could have been on the beach boys Today! album. I read that Brian also like Fool To Cry.

OT: Brian Wilson Diagnosed with Dementia
Posted by: roryfaninva ()
Date: February 16, 2024 17:27

His wife passed away a couple weeks back. Tough times for this family....

[nypost.com]

Re: OT: Brian Wilson Diagnosed with Dementia
Posted by: ChrisL ()
Date: February 16, 2024 17:35

Sad news. Hang in there Brian.

Posted by: NashvilleBlues ()
Date: February 16, 2024 18:24

Sad to hear. Living legend. Saw him in 2015. Superb show!

[www.setlist.fm]

Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: February 16, 2024 19:39

Truly sad news. Wishing Brian peace.

Posted by: rollmops ()
Date: February 16, 2024 22:36

I love his first solo record released in 1988 "Brian Wilson"; pop music with a brain. Fantastically creative and original musician.
Rockandroll,
Mops

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: February 16, 2024 23:20

Very sad to hear. Granted, he hasn't been the same in forever. He was arguably only "sane" for like a 10 year period before he really went off. But he's always stuck around, and he was my first favorite artist ever so I always have a special place for him. I saw him twice: once doing Smile at Carnegie Hall and once doing Pet Sounds at the Greek Theater. Both truly otherworldly experiences. He's sadly essentially been a robot for so long that I'm always grading him on a curve, and where he is now is almost inevitable. But its amazing he's still around after what he's been through and we're so lucky for it. He's had some amazing music in his solo career. And his Live At The Roxy album from the early 2000s is as good a live album as you can get from anyone. Blows any Beach Boys live release out of the water IMO.

Posted by: peoplewitheyes ()
Date: February 16, 2024 23:39

Love You Brian. One of my absolute heroes. Such a magnificent talent, but what a troubled life.

Posted by: petewasbristol ()
Date: February 17, 2024 00:08

This makes me so sad. Brian has given me so many happy musical memories and moments in my life. I wish Brian nothing but love and peace.

Posted by: MisterO ()
Date: February 17, 2024 03:49

I, like so many others admire him greatly, and will always appreciate his work. I hope it lives on for a long long time.

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: February 17, 2024 10:38

I hope he finds some peace.

Re: OT: Beach Boys/Brian Wilson
Posted by: slew ()
Date: February 17, 2024 15:10

I love the early Beach Boys music but I never knew to what extent that the band did not play in the studio other than Brian. I saw a documentary called the Wrecking Crew and they played much of the instrumentation.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: February 17, 2024 19:42

In 1981, I got to see The Beach Boys (with Brian) and The Rolling Stones for the first time.

What a year!

Date: February 17, 2024 22:55

Wow, Elmo! Lucky you! Can you share any memories/vague recollections about the Beach Boys? (Or, indeed, The Stones)

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: February 18, 2024 22:36

Sure. Before the BB show (at 6 Flags in Atlanta), the announcement was made that Brian would be playing with the band. He was indeed there physically and sat at a grand piano - how much he played/sang is up for debate.

I think this was the period without Carl. However, "God Only Knows" was played with perhaps Brian singing it. They had 2 drummers as Dennis appeared drunk. He came out front to sing "You Are So Beautiful". The show opened with "California Girls" and closed with "Fun Fun Fun". It was truly fun, fun, fun! This tour is captured on the Live At Knebworth album.

Years later I saw a BB show with Mike, Carl, and Bruce (also David Marks).

Stones 1981 - Orlando 2nd day. October 25. I had seen The New Barbarians, but was excited about seeing all The Stones for the 1st time. Van Halen opened and were good, but I was there for the Stones. Pretty much the same setlist as the entire 1981 tour. Highlights were UMT, SMU (the hit at that time), and especially, "Time Is On My Side". Keith was really into it on SFM (which wasn't played at all the shows).

Wonderful memories of a simpler time. BTW, I was 19, now 63!

Posted by: MKjan ()
Date: February 18, 2024 23:12

Best wishes to Brian Wilson. It has not been an easy life for him, and yet he has given much to music and culture.

Date: February 20, 2024 14:32

Cool, thank you for taking the time to tell us, Elmo. That Live At Knebworth album is certainly rocking!

I've seen BW a couple of times over the past 20 years, including the debut of the full Pet Sounds in London in about 2002. Both occasions were truly moving experiences for me.

Goto Page: Previous1234
Current Page: 4 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1845
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home