Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4
Re: Beach Boys/Brian Wilson??
Posted by: soundcheck ()
Date: May 2, 2007 10:28

.... yep .. and yes,, the animals were great...

Posted by: ChelseaDrugstore ()
Date: May 2, 2007 10:31

Q - does real R&R radio still exist in some parts of USA? Didn't Cleveland have this excellnt station that was always voted'Best Station'?

"...no longer shall you trudge 'cross my peaceful mind."

Posted by: keithfan64 ()
Date: May 2, 2007 10:42

Beely, I sure do remember. What a time it was! Thankfully the Stones are still around to create the same excitement everytime they take the stage.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2007-05-02 10:58 by keithfan64.

Posted by: KSIE ()
Date: May 2, 2007 15:14

ChelseaDrugstore Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Q - does real R&R radio still exist in some parts
> of USA? Didn't Cleveland have this excellnt
> station that was always voted'Best Station'?

WMMS-FM. Was voted top station several years running in the Rolling Stone poll, although that was later tarnished by allegations that they had stuffed the ballot box. WMMS used to air live concerts from the Agora Ballroom which are the source of many "classic" bootlegs still circulating around today.

Anyway to answer your first question, yes there is still real RnR radio out there, but you really have to look for it. Like most good things, it's mostly in the South. ;-)

I like this un: [wwoz-wm.streamguys.com]

Karl

Posted by: Ross ()
Date: May 2, 2007 16:51

The Beach Boys can be a wonderful adventure. In addition to Brian's masterstrokes (the hits, Pet Sounds, the bits of Smile that were released; etc) there are a lot of great songs hiding on mediocre to bad albums that came out after Brian's meltdown. Look to albums like Sunflower and Surf's Up for gems like Brian's "This Whole World", 'Our Sweet Love", and "Till I Die"; or Carl Wilson's "Long Promised Road", and "Feel Flows" (the great song that played over the credits in "Almost Famous"). The Carl & The Passions/Holland two-fer has Carl's great "Trader" The minor hit "Sail On Sailor", "Marcella", "California Saga". Others I cant remember where they came from: "Meant For You", "Break Away", "Do It Again"; etc.

On the later albums the gems are fewer and further between but they are there. Brian's "She's Got Rhythm", "My Diane", "Its OK" Dennis's "Baby Blue" and of course, the wonderfully quirky entire "Love You" album.

If you are partial to the early stuff, check out what would have been side 2 of the "Today" and "Summer Days" albums; these set the tone for "Pet Sounds" and are every bit as lovely and intriguing.

Dennis Wilson's solo "Pacific Ocean Blue" is also superb.

There is a lot of junk to wade through, but there are at least a couple of CDs worth great songs buried in the post-Brian catalog!

(Disclaimer: all of the above is strictly IMO!)

Ross

Posted by: cirrhosis ()
Date: May 2, 2007 19:16

-

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-12-30 21:11 by cirrhosis.

Brian Wilson's tribute to the Stones: "Marcella"
Posted by: Justin ()
Date: May 31, 2012 02:11

Funny thing happened...

So I've been attending a bunch of Beach Boys shows lately and a song they've been playing at all the shows is a cut from their 1972 sleeper/cult album, "Carl and the Passions -- So Tough" a song named "Marcella." I never really cared for the song before but after hearing it live--I fell in love. One of those things where you hear it live and you say "Now I got it!" Anyway, so I'm listening to the song more and more at home and on my ipod...totally digging this song now

I look up some info on this song on Wikipedia and here's what I come across:

The tune was named for a woman who was working as Brian Wilson's masseuse at the time. Wilson has said that musically, he was trying to capture the essence of the Rolling Stones, without eliminating the well-known Beach Boys sound.

Whoa never knew that. It was really weird to read that because it made me revisit the song yet again and try to figure out if I heard any Stones references or connections. I really can't say that I do. But it does make me wonder if subconsciously I eventually fell in in love with this song because of some mystical Stones correlation?

So did anyone else know this? If not, take a listen and share your thoughts. It's a groovy little song with various different parts. One part in particular I could perhaps see as very Stonesey....let's see if anyone else notices?

1972 Live version:

1972 Studio cut:

2012 Live version from current tour:

Re: Brian Wilson's tribute to the Stones: "Marcella"
Posted by: Jah Paul ()
Date: May 31, 2012 04:42

Been a Beach Boys fan forever and never heard that before, but it's interesting to listen to the track in that context. Always enjoyed this tune over the years, and will look forward to hearing it this Saturday at the Hollywood Bowl!

One Stones connection for sure...Blondie sings on the studio version! Also, I think this was the only BB song to feature Blondie, Ricky Fataar AND Bruce Johnston, as Bruce exited from the band shortly after this recording.

Posted by: Wry Cooter ()
Date: May 31, 2012 05:58

Blondie doesn't sing lead on the studio version, but I'm sure he's in there. And I imagine he contributes to the rocking opening on the '73 live version.

My understanding is that the original lyrics were about Brian's "masseuse" (happy ending style) and some members of the band weren't too thrilled about that and tweaked the lyrics.

Date: May 31, 2012 06:11

Wry Cooter
Blondie doesn't sing lead on the studio version, but I'm sure he's in there. And I imagine he contributes to the rocking opening on the '73 live version.

My understanding is that the original lyrics were about Brian's "masseuse" (happy ending style) and some members of the band weren't too thrilled about that and tweaked the lyrics.

Yes, it's clearly Carl singing lead on the verses, with Blondie on backing vocals.

Looks like the live version posted is from "The Beach Boys In Concert" LP, so Blondie is on that, too. Great rocking opening, like you said!

Posted by: rocker1 ()
Date: May 31, 2012 06:19

Wow, a real gem. Really do like that '73 live version, too.

Posted by: Wry Cooter ()
Date: May 31, 2012 06:28

I saw the Beach Boys in '72, '73, and '74 (Blondie was with them the first two) -- these were some of the most amazing live show I ever saw, just unbelievable energy and musicianship. Anyway, in '72, they did "Jumping Jack Flash"! Mike was very campy but it really went over as I recall.

Date: May 31, 2012 06:40

Jah Paul
Been a Beach Boys fan forever and never heard that before, but it's interesting to listen to the track in that context. Always enjoyed this tune over the years, and will look forward to hearing it this Saturday at the Hollywood Bowl!

One Stones connection for sure...Blondie sings on the studio version! Also, I think this was the only BB song to feature Blondie, Ricky Fataar AND Bruce Johnston, as Bruce exited from the band shortly after this recording.

Good call about Blondie...totally slipped my mind!

Yeah I never knew the Stones connection too. Good to know though. The breakdown section after the solo with the two guitars is very Stonesey....but the overal chord progression I'd say is more Who-ish.

Here's a random cover version that some guy did....the guitars come in a little clearer:

Wry Cooter
I saw the Beach Boys in '72, '73, and '74 (Blondie was with them the first two) -- these were some of the most amazing live show I ever saw, just unbelievable energy and musicianship. Anyway, in '72, they did "Jumping Jack Flash"! Mike was very campy but it really went over as I recall.

Hope you make it out to one of the reunion shows this tour!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-05-31 06:40 by Justin.

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: May 31, 2012 07:17

I originally bought "Carl and the Passions, So Tough" because KRLA (back during their early '70's "Future Rock" format, in which they had their own singular alternative universe playlist that programmed songs no one else did) played "He Come Down" every night like it was a hit single...

The white gospel sound reminds me of "Shine A Light" and also this Rascals track from the same era:

But "Marcella"....yeah, that one sneaks up and then grows and grows on you. It's charms are similar to "Darlin'" in many ways.

Posted by: rocker1 ()
Date: May 31, 2012 08:04

Okay, I'm on about listen #26 now tonight...

I really like this. And no, objectively, perhaps it's really not *that* great....but...it's keeping my interest!

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: May 31, 2012 08:50

Another gem to look forward to Saturday night.

Date: May 31, 2012 09:03

loog droog
I originally bought "Carl and the Passions, So Tough" because KRLA (back during their early '70's "Future Rock" format, in which they had their own singular alternative universe playlist that programmed songs no one else did) played "He Come Down" every night like it was a hit single...

The white gospel sound reminds me of "Shine A Light" and also this Rascals track from the same era:

Ooohhh...I'm digging that Rascals tune. I'm gonna have to get into them...good stuff! Great connection with "He Come Down" and "Shine A Light"...that's fantastic.

rocker1
Okay, I'm on about listen #26 now tonight...

I really like this. And no, objectively, perhaps it's really not *that* great....but...it's keeping my interest!

I hearya...I've been obsessing over this song the entire day. Take a listen to this version Brian did in 2008...they really rock it out here with a great guitar solo wailing on the outro...too bad the camera isn't on Scott Bennett as he rips it on guitar..

Date: May 31, 2012 09:27

Here's another clip from a year later...better shots of Scott. Is it me or is he quoting a little Fogerty in that solo? Specifically at 3:26...what is that? A part of the solo from "Born On The Bayou"?

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2012-05-31 09:28 by Justin.

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: May 31, 2012 11:41

Also saw them in 72, my very first concert which was at the Royal Festival Hall, London, almost 40 years ago to the day.

Here's the setlist.

1. Long Promised Road
2. God Only Knows
3. Here She Comes
4. Wonderful/ Wonderbill
5. Do It Again
6. Sloop John B
7. Wild Honey
8. California Girls
9. Cool, Cool Water
10. Let The Wind Blow
11. Caroline, No
12. Rishikesh
13. Surf´s Up
14. Darlin´
15. Cotton Fields
16. You Need A Mess Of Help To Stand Alone
17. Student Demonstration Time
18. Good Vibrations
19. Help Me, Rhonda
20. I Get Around
21. Fun, Fun, Fun

Posted by: vudicus ()
Date: May 31, 2012 13:09

Some of the background vocals sound very similar to those on "Dandelion".
Check out the studio cut at 0.22

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-05-31 13:12 by vudicus.

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: May 31, 2012 14:45

Still undecided about whether or not I want to see this tour. Can't really take the sight of Brian propped up at the piano with his arms hanging limp at his sides, not even pretending to play.

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: May 31, 2012 14:51

Check out Don here. This is how you play "air piano". LOL

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-05-31 14:51 by tatters.

Posted by: theimposter ()
Date: May 31, 2012 16:30

Actually, when I saw Brian on the SMiLE tour in 2004, he played this song and introduced it as his attempt to do a "Stones-style rock and roll song", so yeah that little bit of info originally posted is accurate. Personally I don't think it sounds like the Rolling Stones, but I do think it is a fine song in its own right.

Date: May 31, 2012 17:24

tatters
Still undecided about whether or not I want to see this tour. Can't really take the sight of Brian propped up at the piano with his arms hanging limp at his sides, not even pretending to play.

On all his solo tours (since he returned to the road in 1999), he basically just sat in front of the keyboard without playing...but sang lead vocals on ALL the songs...seen him many times and they were all great shows. Usually he loosens up and becomes more animated as the show goes on. Check out past performances of "Surf's Up" (especially from the 2004 SMiLE tour) or "God Only Knows" - he really gets into it. Of course, on this tour he's not singing lead as often with Mike and Al there.

Anyhow, the "propped up" appearance and not playing isn't anything new and doesn't mean he's a zombie up there.

Posted by: Claire_M ()
Date: May 31, 2012 18:20

tatters

Ah, do go! You'll enjoy the show very much. Brian does play a bit, and he sings quite a few songs - his voice is strong. The show is almost 3 hours long and surprisingly high energy.

Justin, I had a similar experience with "Marcella" - previously didn't quite understood the high praise for it , but lately have grown to really appreciate it, especially the dirty, slightly Stonesy guitar.

P.S. Justin, have you heard in the pre-show music a version of the Zombies "Time of the Season" with Carl Wilson singing lead on the verses & Colin Blunstone's vocal on the chorus? Evidently it's a new mix that someone has done - I suspect Darian Sahanaja; he's worked with the BB's (obviously) and the Zombies. I'm beginning to think it was an elaborate auditory hallucination on my part; no one else seems to know about it! Not even Colin Blunstone.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-05-31 18:26 by Claire_M.

Posted by: donvis ()
Date: May 31, 2012 18:23

Saw them in Vegas Sunday. It was a great show. And Marcella when played live does have a little bit of a Stones groove to it.

Date: May 31, 2012 18:25

Jah Paul
tatters

On all his solo tours (since he returned to the road in 1999), he basically just sat in front of the keyboard without playing...but sang lead vocals on ALL the songs...seen him many times and they were all great shows. Usually he loosens up and becomes more animated as the show goes on. Check out past performances of "Surf's Up" (especially from the 2004 SMiLE tour) or "God Only Knows" - he really gets into it. Of course, on this tour he's not singing lead as often with Mike and Al there.

Anyhow, the "propped up" appearance and not playing isn't anything new and doesn't mean he's a zombie up there.

My thoughts exactly. When I saw him and his band he played the keyboard for all of 20 seconds on "Mrs. O'Leary's Cow" and otherwise left it alone. But he really got into the singing part and engaging the audience. I read an interview recently where he said the voices in his head get even louder and meaner when he gets on stage, so I think it's pretty brave of Brian to do it at all.

Date: May 31, 2012 18:51

theimposter
My thoughts exactly. When I saw him and his band he played the keyboard for all of 20 seconds on "Mrs. O'Leary's Cow" and otherwise left it alone. But he really got into the singing part and engaging the audience. I read an interview recently where he said the voices in his head get even louder and meaner when he gets on stage, so I think it's pretty brave of Brian to do it at all.

The first time I saw him solo back in '99, I was genuinely concerned if he could get through an entire show...yet he did, and has in all the years since. Kind of amazing considering what he's been through...and is still going through today.

A few years back I saw him perform "Pet Sounds" at UCLA's Royce Hall...Al Jardine was a special guest. One of the coolest moments was when Brian was introducing "California Saga: California" and said, "I'm just going to sing the first line like I did on the record, then everybody else will do the rest." And boy did he sing that first line ( "On my way to sunny Cal-i-forn-I-A" ), clapping in time and everything. Then Al took over the lead vocal and Brian sang backup, clapping and grooving to the music the whole way through.

Date: May 31, 2012 19:34

tatters

You won't see too much of that Brian on this tour. With most of the lead work taken over by Mike, Brian is free now to focus on playing the keyboards and doing backgroudn vocals.

When he is taking a lead vocal, he normally does not play piano in order to concentrate on just singing, plus he likes to sing with his hands...exactly like Keith does when he takes the mic. So the same break we give Keith works here for Brian.

In general, this tour, we have seen Brian put in some of his strongest performances in many years. He's animated, smiling to the crowd, directing the band with points and cues, making a few jokes with Mike Love and the audience and delivering the goods on his vocals.

Date: May 31, 2012 19:39

Jah Paul
theimposter

The first time I saw him solo back in '99, I was genuinely concerned if he could get through an entire show...yet he did, and has in all the years since. Kind of amazing considering what he's been through...and is still going through today.

A few years back I saw him perform "Pet Sounds" at UCLA's Royce Hall...Al Jardine was a special guest. One of the coolest moments was when Brian was introducing "California Saga: California" and said, "I'm just going to sing the first line like I did on the record, then everybody else will do the rest." And boy did he sing that first line ( "On my way to sunny Cal-i-forn-I-A" ), clapping in time and everything. Then Al took over the lead vocal and Brian sang backup, clapping and grooving to the music the whole way through.

Great story - lucky you! I only saw him the one time, Chicago 2004, but I think it was the most enjoyable concert I have ever been to (and I have seen the Stones 5 times and McCartney twice). I'd love to catch the current Beach Boys tour, but they already came through my region and I didn't have the money for a ticket at the time. oh well - I imagine there will at least be a dvd or something.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1887
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home