Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

New Hampton 81 release from SODD
Posted by: TooMuchAlcohol ()
Date: April 20, 2007 11:55

SODD has (re-re-re)released Hampton 81 and I have heard that it is taken from new master. Don't know sure if it's really from new master, but the channel separation surely is different comparing to VGP's "Happy Birthday Keith".

Any opinions (if you have heard it)?

Re: New Hampton 81 release from SODD
Posted by: RnT ()
Date: April 20, 2007 12:39

On DVD or just CD?

Posted by: TooMuchAlcohol ()
Date: April 20, 2007 13:23

"Just" CD. VGP is also CD winking smiley

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: April 20, 2007 13:42

Has anybody here heard other "new SODD" releases? They can't have the master for Welcome To New York for instance, so I wonder if it's all a hoax.
Some opinions ?

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: April 20, 2007 15:10

I for one am always sceptical when bootleg labels claim that they have discovered 'new masters'of well-known performances. However, there's always the possibility that a 'true' upgrade turns up, but more often than not it is a case of fiddling around with one of the numerous 'remastering' tools which are available. In many cases it is just a different EQ setting which of course can lead to astonishing results, in particular when the source material was already excellent to start with. Unlike those 1973 and 1978 KBFH recordings, Hampton '81 has never surfaced as a transfer from the original master tapes, all previous versions generated from an - excellent - broadcast. If SODD finally managed to get their hands on the orginal pre-broadcast tapes, it would be a truly sensational find. Quite the same for the orginal masters for Welcome To New York, as all releases so far originated from original TMOQ vinyls.

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: April 20, 2007 15:18

Yes it sounds fantastic if it's true. But how on earth could the guys behind SODD find original masters for all those "legendary boots"? SODD only release the best & most sold concerts from each tour. It would be more believable if they released average audience recordings from "the masters".
I can't believe nobody here has bought some new SODD CDs, it would be nice to get this thing confirmed.

Posted by: Bitch2 ()
Date: April 20, 2007 19:40

There are so many excellent soundboards outthere, but when the dvd is released the sound quality gets worse, Hampton 81 an example, but the are others such as Tokyo 95 or Atlantic 89 that you would think some smart guys would sync in the sound into dvd? re-re-re releasing a cd is a waste of time.

Posted by: 1cdog ()
Date: April 20, 2007 21:46

IMHO Halcyon has been doing a good job. Especially with Brussels 73 “Bunnies, Bombs, Busts & A Princess”, and a few others like “Happy Birthday Dear Nicky”, February 24, 1973 and “Get Your Leeds Lungs Out”, March 13, 1971. "No Flash, No Gimmicks" from Fort Worth 1978 is very nice as well.

I have not heard any of the SODD releases though. It would be nice to get a review.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1969
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home