Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Love you live - Brown sugar tab
Posted by: Douwe334 ()
Date: April 17, 2007 17:36

Hi, Can someone please help me?? i'lookin for a tab of brown sugar as played on love you live.. the solo parts...

Re: Love you live - Brown sugar tab
Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: April 17, 2007 21:39

If you are technically advanced enough to play Wood's part, you don't need a tab. If you need a tab, you won't be able to play it.

Hence, just listen to it over and over, and practice long enough until you know how to play it.

Mathijs

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: April 17, 2007 22:02

Sorry, Oh great one, but I have learned a lot from tabs as well as playing with records, learning from friends, books, etc.

"No Anchovies, Please"

Posted by: Tumblin_Dice_07 ()
Date: April 18, 2007 18:14

I seldom use tabs but I've found that they can be very helpful with that lick or part that you just can't get quite right. I normally try to learn something by playing along, then if I run across the tabs later, I'll check it against the way I play it to see how much difference there is.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: April 18, 2007 18:33

Elmo Lewis Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Sorry, Oh great one, but I have learned a lot from
> tabs as well as playing with records, learning
> from friends, books, etc.

No, not "oh great one". It actually works for me this way. If I can't hear what is played, nine out of ten times I am not able to play it anyway. I would need a tab for Steve Vai or Satriani stuff, but those players have A) no taste what so ever and cool smiley they play far beyond my own technical abillities.

About everything that I am technically able to play I can sort out without a tab. And most tabs found on the internet contain lots of mistakes anyway.

Mathijs

Posted by: Tumblin_Dice_07 ()
Date: April 18, 2007 18:40

Mathijs Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> And most tabs
> found on the internet contain lots of mistakes
> anyway.

That's very true. If you're going to use tabs, you should check out a tab book or guitar magazine. Some of the tabs I've seen on the internet.......well I don't even know if they actually know how to play the song in the first place!! Maybe they're just bad at writing tabs. It's not as easy as you would think.

Date: April 18, 2007 19:30

Good points by all, but I have learned (the limited amount that I Know) through a variety of methods.

My favorite is figuring things out with a friend - the method that Brian and Keith used to advance from The Blue Boys to The Rolling Stones in a very short period of time.

No danger of me playing Vai or Satch even if I could. I go for more earthy sounds - Keith, Cropper, Fogerty, Tony Joe White, Reggie Young (Dobie Gray's "Drift Away" among others), etc. Soulful, not super fast.

"No Anchovies, Please"

Posted by: terraplane ()
Date: April 18, 2007 23:18

I worked this out about 25 years ago. I can't write tabs. I remember the opening lead licks (before Jagger's vocals) was just Ronnie playing the C minor pentantonic scale ie, 4th string (10th fret) 3rd string (8th & 10th fret) 2nd & ist strings (8th & 11th fret). That lead bit is the most interesting bit he does in the song.

Posted by: Child Of Clay ()
Date: April 19, 2007 08:05

my version of the Brown Sugar solo uses that C minor pentatonic box around the 8th fret, for a climax of sorts I bend the high e-string at 13th fret (f) to "15th" g, adding a little descending lick including further bends after that.
Phew, that probably helps nobody!

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: April 19, 2007 10:33

Mathijs makes a good point here.
and to expand on it a little for those, like me, with limited talent and technique...
Theres nothing sounds worse than a player attempting to play something he can't quite nail. It's always obvious what comes naturally to a player and what's forced. Far better to play something that comes naturally and fits than try to nail something note for note and risk completely losing the feel...which is what often happens.

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: April 19, 2007 11:04

On the other hand if you never try something more difficoult, you will never improve!

C

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: April 19, 2007 15:41

Good point
But even so, most of us have a limit to what we can play naturally.
Either because we don't have the required natural talent or,in some cases and daft as it sounds,simply becuase we don't have long enough fingers ;^)

It's also the case that we'll probably never play at our best when slavishly copping somebody else's licks. Just my own opinion. Simple, played with feel and expression will always sound better than the results of a player straining to get his digits in the right places.

Date: April 19, 2007 15:46

That "feel", that "sense of timing", that "soulfulness" is what sets players like Keith and Cropper apart from the super fast technichal wizards - Vai, Satch, etc.

That really can't be taught. It comes from years of listening and playing - especially if one's been playing with the same folks for 40-odd years!

"No Anchovies, Please"

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1461
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home