Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

From Today's New York Post
Posted by: MinorRipper ()
Date: April 5, 2007 19:41

[www.nypost.com]

www.minor-ripper.blogspot.com

Re: From Today's New York Post
Posted by: Justin ()
Date: April 5, 2007 19:43

hahahahaha

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: April 5, 2007 19:44

Thanks, MR, that's great! winking smiley

"No Anchovies, Please"

Posted by: boston2006 ()
Date: April 5, 2007 19:46

Ha Ha Ha

Posted by: hot stuff ()
Date: April 5, 2007 19:53

very funny....ha..the stones are still making news...its great that they are still the bad boys of rock after 40+ years...

Posted by: The Joker ()
Date: April 5, 2007 20:02

Cartoonist knows the stuff. Surely a fan.

It is a five strings guitar.

Posted by: chippy ()
Date: April 5, 2007 21:23

dares more

Posted by: bartfrombrussels ()
Date: April 7, 2007 20:00

Yes, great cartoon!

Posted by: RollingStonesFan ()
Date: April 7, 2007 20:24

Wonderful!

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: April 7, 2007 20:38

That's terrible. Funny but terrible.

"It's just some friends of mine and they're busting down the door"

Posted by: micawber ()
Date: April 8, 2007 01:44

The end of the stones as we know it...
Even if it was mistaken, it's like Keith donated half of his part of brain not injured at the Fiji's last year to somebody.

Disgusting and senseless...

Posted by: Beelyboy ()
Date: April 8, 2007 02:05

MinorRipper Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> [www.nypost.com]
>
heh heh, lol...good one.

Posted by: Jumpin'JackFrash ()
Date: April 8, 2007 02:28

That's the same assclown that made the cartoon about Mick's dad a few months ago. Terrible.

Posted by: Glass Slide ()
Date: April 8, 2007 02:37

Jumpin'JackFrash Wrote:
> That's the same assclown that made the cartoon
> about Mick's dad a few months ago. Terrible.

Well, actually it's kind of funny.

You really should have checked out the earlier cartoon from the same guy. It is Mick and Keith talking and Keith has a body part sticking out of his nose.

Date: April 8, 2007 02:41

i missed that one jjfrash; the guy made a cartoon mockery out of mick's personal tragedy and joe's death??!
i would not find that amusing one bit. and am surprised that even rupert (murder) murdoch's nypost would go with that...
that would be terrible i agree.

after six weeks of kafkaesque wall to wall idiocy coverage of smith's tragedy, it seemed like any humor at all would be refreshing...
'the onion' did a cool satire article complaining about the networks interrupting anna nicole smith's coverage for a brief news spot...

that wasn't at all the case with joe's passing...it didn't turn into theatre of the absurd non-stop media suckage...all these low lifes fighting for the billion dollar baby...disgusstinggg..

mick sucked it in and didn't miss a concert...i'll never forget that papparazzi pic of a truly heartbroken grieving mick after the services when he flew home from the tour to deal with all of that...that was innappropriate and heartbreaking imo. a pic that should have never been taken.

keith cracked the first joke, and some time had elapsed for him to mourn and heal and get things in perspective... and i never personally felt that he didn't love his dad or was disrespecting him.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2007-04-08 10:20 by Beelyboy.

Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: April 8, 2007 03:43

I don't know if any lawyers who visit the board would want to venture an opinion, but can I change my will to bequeath my ashes to Keef?

winking smiley

Posted by: Glass Slide ()
Date: April 8, 2007 04:03

SomeTorontoGirl Wrote:
> I don't know if any lawyers who visit the board
> would want to venture an opinion, but can I change
> my will to bequeath my ashes to Keef?
>
> winking smiley

Why not.

There you go--free of charge--lol.

Date: April 8, 2007 04:05

haa someSomeTorontoGirl...
whoa, now that this news is out, i can picture the UPS man in certain town in Connecticut getting overwhelmed with urn deliveries as g-g-g-ggenerations of fans come and , er....go...
also, gets me thinking, it was some other girl from Toronto who kept keith out of jail, on the road, and possibly saved his life, (as well as the band...)
to keith's 'blind angel' wherever she may be...atta girl and many thanks.

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: April 8, 2007 05:02

SomeTorontoGirl Wrote:
> I don't know if any lawyers who visit the board
> would want to venture an opinion, but can I change
> my will to bequeath my ashes to Keef?
>
> winking smiley

LMFAO........I don't know if anybody else has suggested that yet.Gross.Funny,but gross.

"It's just some friends of mine and they're busting down the door"

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: April 8, 2007 08:57

hot stuff Wrote:
> very funny....ha..the stones are still making
> news...its great that they are still the bad boys
> of rock after 40+ years...

I don't see any Stones content in that cartoon. Did I miss something?

Posted by: Kick Jaggards ()
Date: April 8, 2007 09:25

The link needs to be updated I think. It's no longer showing the intended cartoon. If you click on it now you get a cartoon about Iran kidnapping the Easter Bunny.

I think this is the intended cartoon [www.nypost.com]

This is a cartoon someone else referenced earlier in the thread [www.nypost.com]

Date: April 8, 2007 16:22

Delete duplicate post.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-04-08 16:33 by SomeTorontoGirl.

Date: April 8, 2007 16:31

Yes, Beelyboy, what ever happened to Keef's blind angel?

I well remember the fuss about the 1977 arrest, trial and sentence (Judge Lloyd Graburn sentenced Keef, after a guilty plea for possessing 22 g of 32% pure heroin, to probation plus a free concert for the CNIB (Cdn Nat'l Institute for the Blind). Factor in the concert at the ElMo and Maggie Trudeau, not quite divorced from our Prime Minister, and it was interesting times! Legend has it that the Judge was prompted to be lenient after a blind woman contacted him to vouch for Keef, letting him know that he always made sure she got a good seat at concerts, even driving her home to make sure she got there safely. Sounds like something he'd do...

Intersting to note that Keef had checked into the Harbour Castle hotel, before the bust, under the name of "Redlands" which was the location of the 1967 arrest...

So the speculation is that, without this sentence, Keef would have served 5 - 7 years as a guest of Her Majesty, and that this would have destroyed Keef and the Stones, which is why they are so loyal to Toronto, rehearsing here and dropping everything to play here in 2003 after our tourism industry was destroyed by overblown coverage of the SARS epidemic. And the Toronto Love just keeps flowing back to the boys.

In checking some details, found some links that may make a few Canucks feel a bit old:

1) [archives.cbc.ca]

Not sure if anyone else remembers Larry Zolf or This Hour Has Seven Days,,, Also interesting to see in an early interview that Mick recognised the name of a former Cdn Prime Minister (given the future involvement of the wife of a current PM) - esp since "43" couldn't name the current PM before he was elected! Heh heh heh! (*)

2) [www.brainyquote.com]

Interesting Keef Quotes. Favourites:
Everyone talks about rock these days; the problem is they forget about the roll.
If you're going to kick authority in the teeth, you might as well use two feet.

It may not be suitable for Mickschix upcoming interview, but I would really love to see a follow-up story interviewing the Judge, if he is still living (he was just about lynched for what was, in hindsight, a courageous decision that likely saved a life) and Keef about the decision and the impact.

* One of our more subversive "journalists" went to the US a few years ago to interview people to see what they knew about Canada, since we are so steeped in US culture here. In a press scrum, he caught then-Governor Bush and told him that Canadian Prime Minister Poutine was supporting his bid for election. Without missing a beat, 43 replied that he appreciated the support and sent greetings to the PM. The resulting show, called Talking to Americans, has run several times and reliably pulls the highest ratings on Canadain TV. (Um... Poutine is a Quebec delicacy made of french fries, gravy, cheese curds and cholesterol. The PM at the time was Chretien... We try not to discuss either Poutine or Chretien in polite company! smiling smiley

Canadians are a cheeky lot! winking smiley

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: April 9, 2007 02:40

Is the blind angel for real or a figment of Keef's imagination?

"No Anchovies, Please"

Date: April 9, 2007 05:13

Is anyone ever able to pierce the legend that is Keef?

But here's a link to another article I found, and an excerpt from that article about the CNIB concert:

[hqinfo.blogspot.com]

"But it was the concert for the blind that raised most eyebrows. How had the judge reached that idea? One strong rumour was that Cooper had suggested it, but this was tracked down to blind superfan Rita Bedard, who attended the trial every day and was invited in by Cooper to meet Richards and get his autograph. It turned out that she was responsible for the story; Cooper dismissed it.

In fact the judge had called John Simmons of the Canadian National Institute for the Blind (CNIcool smiley just 30 minutes before going into court on that final day. Simmons claims: "He asked me if I would object if he sentenced a young musician to play music at the Institute. We only foundout later it was Richards. We were shocked and pleased."

But not everyone was that euphoric. CNIB's John Rae said it could negatively affect public attitudes towards blind people, and called the verdict "outrageous, bizarre and patronising".

"We're seeking equal rights, not a handout," he said. "If the judge intended to help blind people, there are a number of organisations besides the CNIB that should have the opportunity to benefit as well."

The big problem for the CNIB now is that their auditorium on Bayview Avenue only holds 200, and their switchboard has been jammed with people hustling for tickets. The owner of the 16,000 seat Maple Leaf Gardens has offered his venue for the event, but no final decision has been reached.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1678
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home