Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
New ABB tour-new ABB single! Dangerous Beauty would be perfect
Posted by: Turd On The Run ()
Date: April 3, 2007 21:27

I would, of course, prefer that the Stones bless us with some new music this summer. Even if it was just a new single...it would be so appreciated. [For all the hype about Mick and Keef's 'reinvigorated' songwriting partnership, we have precious little to show for it - 3 official releases in 18 years...dismaying]

But if they won't, I don't understand why they wouldn't release Dangerous Beauty as a single/music video and reclaim a measure of artistic/political relevance...something that should be their birthright.

The first time I heard Dangerous Beauty from ABB [and I played it very loud] a familiar - if of late far too seldom - auditory sensation hit me...and the snap and groove went directly to my spine and ran through to my scrotum. It was The Groove. In my life I've felt this fleeting and fantastic inflammation mostly with Rolling Stones music. Songs like When the Whip Comes Down, Honky Tonk Women, Live With Me, Love Is Strong, Brown Sugar, Street Fighting Man...moments where Charlie's magical Tom-Toms interlock with Keef's feral chunk-guitar and propel me to a place where my balls are sizzling, my hips are swinging, and my spine tingles...yeah...The Groove.

I never understood why this track hasn't become an instant classic. It has everything one could want from a late-era Stones assault: Charlie smacking out an onslaught of precision swing, Keef digging inside the groove with fat, syrupy chords of aggression, and Mick singing with committed irony and outrage...and then the coup de grace...Keef's solo is actually a jazzy, tasteful masterpiece...like shiny tapioca pearls on top of thick pudding. The song has a spare, compact arrangement and yet it's dense as hell. What the hell am I missing?

The subject matter is perfectly suited to our present day sexual/socio/political climate - the debacle in the Middle East/Abu Graib/Guantanamo/Iran/and the sensationalizing of trash pop culture - and would make the Stones artistically and politically relevant again.

This song is so ripe for an incredible video filled with images of erotic S+M, military torture, Abu Graib, Guantanamo, suicide bombers, and political posturing disguised as righteousness...the whole Freak Show. It would outrage the Right AND Left. And it would prove the Stones can still shock and infuriate.

Why not take the version on ABB outtakes...? It's slightly longer and has more space to develop.

Also, I'm sure if properly promoted, it would give them the late-career monster global hit that they [especially Sir Mick] desire. Am I the only one that feels this way?

Diamond rings, Vaseline, you gave me disease, well, I lost a lot of love over you.

Re: New ABB tour-new ABB single! Dangerous Beauty would be perfect
Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: April 3, 2007 21:41

I love the song but 60 year old bands just dont have hit singles - and their videos dont get airtime either, rendering some cutting edge, attention-seeking promo clip a waste of money,

Posted by: JaggerFan ()
Date: April 3, 2007 21:48

ABB is a bit old for a new single, doncha think?
They should shuffle things around - maybe throw some REAL surprises out there.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: April 3, 2007 21:52

What am I missing, I guess I should ask in response, but I think this is one of the 2 or 3 weakest tracks on an overall very weak album.

Date: April 3, 2007 21:55

Thanks GOD you said it, and not me, StonesTod!

I think a new tour leg - they should stick to what they do best - pull out a song they've never done. There's still plenty of great tunes which I'd MUCH rather hear than another ABB number.

Posted by: glimmer twin 81 ()
Date: April 3, 2007 21:57

Gazza wrote:
I love the song but 60 year old bands just dont have hit singles - and their videos dont get airtime either, rendering some cutting edge, attention-seeking promo clip a waste of money

why cant they have a hit single
cause you are sayin that???

Date: April 3, 2007 21:59

It has not as much to do with the fact that they're old as it does that they're new songs aren't very exciting or interesting, or catchy, or memorable.

Date: April 3, 2007 22:00

i think rough justice could have been a hit
but the stones promotion is so bad these days

Date: April 3, 2007 22:03

glimmer twin 81 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Gazza wrote:
> I love the song but 60 year old bands just dont
> have hit singles - and their videos dont get
> airtime either, rendering some cutting edge,
> attention-seeking promo clip a waste of money
>
> why cant they have a hit single
> cause you are sayin that???

Yeah...I decided it wont happen. Christ, its not your day is it?

no..because radio stations arent interested (and neither are the Stones record label in promoting them) and MTV/VH1 is only interested in young and pretty artists with no substance like Justin Timberlake and Christina Aguilera. When was the last time you saw a Stones video on anything but an oldies channel?

Date: April 3, 2007 22:05

yes that is true but i do not think mtv makes hits anymore
the internet does
but if you look at rs.com - no wonder there wont be a hit anymore

Date: April 3, 2007 22:11

downloads are indeed a significant factor but I think the Stones average/target audience are in general above the age of the sort of people who download chart music.

Airplay is a big factor in chart positions in the US as far as Im aware (less so over here) but the days of a new Stones record getting a lot of airplay is long gone.

The most significant factor of what a losing battle this is was when they played the Superbowl in front of the biggest TV audience in the US and the sales of the album barely registered a blip in the weeks that followed. It made no difference whatsover. The general public - for various reasons - just isnt interested in a new Stones record apart from in the first few weeks after its release. I think thats why they dont bother with big budget promo videos anymore. They're not even going to get them played on TV more than a few times.

The sad thing is that the only way the Stones will have another big hit single will be if one of them dies and - as seems to be the norm when this kind of thing happens - the general public suddenly decide theyre fans and rush out en masse to buy their records.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-04-03 22:11 by Gazza.

Posted by: pgarof ()
Date: April 3, 2007 22:18

Gazza Wrote:
> downloads are indeed a significant factor but I
> think the Stones average/target audience are in
> general above the age of the sort of people who
> download chart music.
>
> Airplay is a big factor in chart positions in the
> US as far as Im aware (less so over here) but the
> days of a new Stones record getting a lot of
> airplay is long gone.
>

> The most significant factor of what a losing
> battle this is was when they played the Superbowl
> in front of the biggest TV audience in the US and
> the sales of the album barely registered a blip in
> the weeks that followed. It made no difference
> whatsover. The general public - for various
> reasons - just isnt interested in a new Stones
> record apart from in the first few weeks after its
> release. I think thats why they dont bother with
> big budget promo videos anymore. They're not even
> going to get them played on TV more than a few
> times.
>
> The sad thing is that the only way the Stones will
> have another big hit single will be if one of them
> dies and - as seems to be the norm when this kind
> of thing happens - the general public suddenly
> decide theyre fans and rush out en masse to buy
> their records.

Totally agree!

Posted by: letitloose ()
Date: April 3, 2007 22:20

I dont think singles have been relevant for the Stones for 20 years. I always hated the format. Even when the Stones (and Beatles) had hit after hit in the 60's the long term effect was that some of the best songs are not on the albums they truly deserve to be on. So if you want Jumping Jack Flash you have to buy a compilation. The Stones dont need to be in the singles market as it is now. I just wish they would sell more albums.

Date: April 3, 2007 22:22

I'd settle for them MAKING more albums first - we can get worked up about the sales afterwards!

Posted by: Turd On The Run ()
Date: April 3, 2007 22:23

What about just putting the single/video out there and making a statement? It would be shown on You Tube and probably VH1...it would find an audience.

If they're not going to privilege us with a few new tunes then at least make an artistic statement and SAY SOMETHING...instead of re-hashing past glories [Rough Justice] or trying to appease MOR radio [Streets of Love]. Kick the bastard machine in the balls. Make people sit up and notice...!

What about an A side of Dangerous Beauty and a B side of Laugh, I Nearly Died? Let the people decide which is more palatable [like they did back in '67 with Let's Spend The Night Together/Ruby Tuesday]. I think both songs are superb.

But at least they would say something that a lot of people have not heard yet...and they'd be forced to play those tunes on the tour. That would be amazing.

Of course, if you think the songs are boring...I would totally disagree...but, that's another story...

Diamond rings, Vaseline, you gave me disease, well, I lost a lot of love over you.

Date: April 3, 2007 22:25

Gazza Wrote:
> I'd settle for them MAKING more albums first - we
> can get worked up about the sales afterwards!

yup, cant disagree. BTW I missed out on Slane Castle (couldnt believe how quickly it sold out). So we have bought tix for Paris this time round.

Date: April 3, 2007 22:41

A mate of mine may have some Slane extras for Gold Circle B..I'll ask around

Date: April 3, 2007 22:53

Cheers Gazza, not sure if I can afford Ireland too now tho. This year is stacking up as my biggest ever for gigs. So far we are off to:
Rose Tattoo in Strasbourg (this weekend)
Dylan (SECC)
Deep Purple/Styx(SECC)
Rolling Stones (France)
Aerosmith (Germany)
Heaven and Hell - Dio/Iommi/Butler/Appice (SECC)
Alice Cooper + Motorhead (SECC)
Rush (SECC)

Now if only ACDC would tour!!

Thanx tho Gazza

Posted by: Kurt ()
Date: April 3, 2007 23:17

Turd,

Extremely well said.
Bring on more of this, I say.

Posted by: cbtaco19 ()
Date: April 3, 2007 23:18

I have long thought that DB was one of the better songs on the album and would totally work with a topical / Abu Ghraib themed video. That would get some attention.

But for heavens sake, load up the CD single with an outtake and live versions of a couple of nuggets like they did in the 90's. Not another idiotic Super Duper Nighttime remix by the pud of the month.

I'm tired, I'm tired of doing what I'm told.
Things are moving way too slow.

Posted by: cirrhosis ()
Date: April 3, 2007 23:47

-

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-12-30 21:00 by cirrhosis.

Posted by: Bashlets ()
Date: April 4, 2007 03:46

I always thought DRIVING TOO FAST would have been a good single. Straight ahead, kind of fun rock and roll. I think it's very catchy...much more so than Rough Justice was.

Posted by: drewmaster ()
Date: April 4, 2007 04:36

Turd On The Run Wrote:
>
> The first time I heard Dangerous Beauty from ABB
> a familiar - if of late far too seldom - auditory
> sensation hit me...and the snap and groove went
> directly to my spine and ran through to my
> scrotum. It was The Groove. In my life I've
> felt this fleeting and fantastic inflammation
> mostly with Rolling Stones music. Songs like When
> the Whip Comes Down, Honky Tonk Women, Live With
> Me, Love Is Strong, Brown Sugar, Street Fighting
> Man...moments where Charlie's magical Tom-Toms
> interlock with Keef's feral chunk-guitar and
> propel me to a place where my balls are sizzling,
> my hips are swinging, and my spine
> tingles...yeah...The Groove.
>
> I never understood why this track hasn't become an
> instant classic. It has everything one could want
> from a late-era Stones assault: Charlie smacking
> out an onslaught of precision swing, Keef digging
> inside the groove with fat, syrupy chords of
> aggression, and Mick singing with committed irony
> and outrage...and then the coup de grace...Keef's
> solo is actually a jazzy, tasteful
> masterpiece...like shiny tapioca pearls on top of
> thick pudding. The song has a spare, compact
> arrangement and yet it's dense as hell. What the
> hell am I missing?
>
> Am I the only one that feels this way?

turd--

your assessment of this song is both brilliant and 100% on target. DB is an absolute classic, with as powerful a groove as any the stones have EVER laid down. i just feel sorry for the people who can't dig this track. it blows me away.

sometime last year, i posted my opinion that DB and LIND are the 2 real classics from ABB ... gazza was the only person i recall who agreed.

drew

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2007-04-04 05:05 by drewmaster.

Posted by: georgelicks ()
Date: April 4, 2007 04:46

Nothing on ABB could reach big audiences, its music from the past. Who will play a song like Dangerous Beauty on the radio? Let alone on TV.

Posted by: it's_all_wrong ()
Date: April 4, 2007 08:24

Under The Radar would have been a nice single...

Posted by: sluissie ()
Date: April 4, 2007 08:34

drewmaster Wrote:
> sometime last year, i posted my opinion that DB
> and LIND are the 2 real classics from ABB ...
> gazza was the only person i recall who agreed.
>
> drew

I don't know if I reacted back then, or if you would have remebered my post if I did, but for sure I agree, those two songs really stand out. Among Under the Radar, BOMH.

Jelle

Posted by: Beelyboy ()
Date: April 4, 2007 11:32

great post as usual turdontherun. i like the idea very much; tho points made about vid prodution budgets and their relative lack of $$ recouped are also noted. that WOULD be edgy and distinctly contemporary and important i think...
(tho they might think they've already covered that ground with other vids with social/political relevance in the past.)
i personally still think lmds has what it takes to be a 'hit' these days, if promoted properly, and i guess they don't promote the records themselves too very much these days...still it went platinum, so all things considered, i can't see abb as a commercial failure per se...

a single release with mild promotion and a low budget vid, or no vid at all, would still be appreciated by me.

gazza, do you know when abb hit the euro or us charts? what was it's top position, how long did it stay in a relatively high position? anyone know that kinda info?
any bumps at all, even if modest, during the first legs of the tours in n. america, s. america or euro?

Posted by: straycatuk ()
Date: April 4, 2007 15:03

I always liked Dangerous Beauty .A better song than the "grating" Rough Justice IMHO.

Date: April 4, 2007 15:21

georgelicks Wrote:
> Nothing on ABB could reach big audiences, its
> music from the past. Who will play a song like
> Dangerous Beauty on the radio? Let alone on TV.

the content wouldnt be an issue in Europe, which - as the only market they're touring in - is what matters. However, youre right about nothing from ABB reaching an audience (or nothing new for that matter)

The Stones do their videos on the cheap now because they dont get airtime or sell singles anymore, so spending a sizeable amount of money is pointless. What was the last one they did that required a bit of effort or expense? Anybody seen my baby? Saint of Me?

they put 'Biggest Mistake' out as a single for the European tour last summer and didnt even do a video or even perform it in concert. Theyve no interest, nor have their record label.

Date: April 4, 2007 15:21

> no..because radio stations arent interested (and
> neither are the Stones record label in promoting
> them) and MTV/VH1 is only interested in young and
> pretty artists with no substance like Justin
> Timberlake and Christina Aguilera. When was the
> last time you saw a Stones video on anything but
> an oldies channel?

I don't buy this at all.

Rock has a place in radio and on the charts. You can't brush it all off like that; "Ah well, only pop fluff makes the charts", etc.

U2, the Chili Peppers, Green Day - these bands aren't exactly brushed to the side completely. And while they may not be everyone's cup of tea here, they DO have cross-over appeal with Stones fans. They have current hits and their albums sell, sell and sell. What's their secret? They still write hit songs.

The Stones were a hit band - because they used to put out songs which people bought and enjoyed in large numbers. These old songs got radio play because they struck a chord with music fans.

Every new album the Stones put out IS promoted through radio, and they get a fair crack at having all of their promotional singles becoming a hit - perhaps even more so because of who they are.

These new songs of theirs die off quickly though. Why? Think about it - they're not really exciting many people, so it's not very cost effective to give them heavy rotation. ie - not many people go "whoo-hoo! Rough Justice!" compared to "Whoo-hoo, Start Me UP!"

Rough Justice (as just one example of their bland modern stuff) HAD a chance to be a hit - but people were indifferent to it en masse. Basically - and this is the hardest pill to swallow for those who invest a lot emotionally into the machine - because it was a generic boring kind of song. Much like the rest of ABB and their last 5-6 albums.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1722
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home