Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4
Re: "Love You Live" Appreciation.
Posted by: Glam Descendant ()
Date: March 27, 2007 06:47

"Mick arrived twenty minutes late in a really good mood -- I was photographing the Stones. Then everybody started arriving -- Ron Wood and Earl McGrath and Keith Richards who I think is just the most adorable person, I love him. I told him I was the first person to meet his wife, Anita Pallenberg. In the sixties." -- THE ANDY WARHOL DIARIES, September 29, 1977

OK I'll stop : )

Posted by: Beelyboy ()
Date: March 27, 2007 06:55

Glam Descendant Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> "After we left the Carlyle I told Jerry I thought
> Mick had ruined the LOVE YOU LIVE cover I did for
> them by writing all over it--it's his handwriting,
> and he wrote so big. The kids who buy the album
> would have a good piece of art if he hadn't
> spoiled it." - THE ANDY WARHOL DIARIES, June 5,
> 1978

this is precious. all of these from andy...haha; he's right too...
great stuff...ty

(for me, thinking less of lyl than my bros here, has nothing to do with ron very much...moreso with mick's vocals and vocal persona per se, or particular vocal accents and affectations at the time)

Posted by: voodoocat ()
Date: March 27, 2007 07:09

LYL is pretty bad. What really pisses me off is that it was the only offically released live Stones ablum in the 70's. I'm not counting GYYYO as this was from the 69 tour and very much a 60's album. Almost any boot you can find from the 70's has more going for it. there are some great 75/76 recordings that blow LYL away. How they ended up putting this out is beyond me. My chief complaint with LYL is the sound mix. IT sounds too "clean" which takes away from the atmosphere and the muscular gritty sound of the concerts. If there was ever a tour that was meant to be heard as very good or excellent audience recording this was it. when they tried to clean it up, make it clearer it only ends up showing up their lackluster performance. They club show, El Mocambo, is more interesting than the rest of the album, but still suffers from the overproduced post recording. Granted, you can hear the guitar interplay, but the guitars seem to be spaced too far apart and the effect is that you lose that stonesy sound. To my ear, the stones signature sound has a lot to do with each band member fusing their sound into a whole sound which then takes on a life of its own. This album sounds like a cut and past job.

Posted by: Four Stone Walls ()
Date: March 27, 2007 12:00

Good comments.

The album does capture their mid seventies lethargy and Jagger's non-committed attitude.

The way the whjole thing kicks off - that has to be one of the laziest HTWs ever, it just churns/trudges along. Awful the way the bass and drums join in.

Ron Wood is mainly noodling throughout. His twangy lead. GRRRRRR!!!!!!!!

Hot Stuff is more like it however. F File shows promise. Lively version of Happy - but Ron's lead is too harsh, grating - instead of smooth and uplifting, ie Happy.

Posted by: LA FORUM ()
Date: March 27, 2007 12:15

Gazza Wrote:
> ryanpow Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > I have a theory that IORR from love you live is
> > actually from El Mocambo, not the other toronto
> > show thats listed. when I listen that track,
> it
> > sounds like its in a small club and The
> audience
> > part is dubbed.
>
>
> Its not. Its from Toronto 17.6.75. definitely.

He sings "toronto" and that is the 1975 show in Toronto. Not the El Mocambo.

Posted by: 1962 ()
Date: March 27, 2007 12:24

My first album on cassette. I heard something very special, almost egzotic.Magic.
Then started a new life for me! Tumbling Dice was my favourite and IORR.I still think that TUMBLING DICE was played best on that tour. The best is Knebworth.

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: March 27, 2007 13:54

JaggerFan Wrote:
> Actually, note for note, it's another Chuck Berry
> imitation. I prefer Keith's playing when he's
> Playing like Keith - not simply copying someone
> else. I dunno - maybe I'm a purists to the
> authentic folks in some ways.
>
> No one does Chuck Berry like Chuck Berry. Sorry.

As a MTV reporter once said after interviewing Keith in the 80s: "Keith Richards is the greatest guitarist ever. Even if he did steal all Chuck Berry's licks". When Keith plays as Keith, it's Chuck Berry style 80% of the time man.

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: JaggerFan ()
Date: March 27, 2007 15:24

> As a MTV reporter once said after interviewing
> Keith in the 80s: "Keith Richards is the greatest
> guitarist ever. Even if he did steal all Chuck
> Berry's licks". When Keith plays as Keith, it's
> Chuck Berry style 80% of the time man.

As a musician who recognizes great playing and innovative styles - of which there is PLENTY out there, there is no "even if he did steal" for me. Keith has built a career on someone else.

Having said that, LYL is great fun. Their last great official live album (of which there are only two).

Date: March 27, 2007 15:30

JaggerFan Wrote:
> As a musician who recognizes great playing and
> innovative styles - of which there is PLENTY out
> there, there is no "even if he did steal" for me.
> Keith has built a career on someone else.

Not really. His playing is based on Chuck Berry, two handfuls of blues legends and Bo Diddley. Later he got inspired by some others of course (The Wailers for example).

> Having said that, LYL is great fun. Their last
> great official live album (of which there are only
> two).

Not counting Still Life, Flashpoint, Stripped, No Security and Live Licks?

JumpingKentFlash

Date: March 27, 2007 15:54

> Not counting Still Life, Flashpoint, Stripped, No
> Security and Live Licks?

No. I'm counting those.

To my ears, those range from 'decent' to 'weak'. Not great. Many, MANY other artists have many MANY more dynamic, interesting, passionate and credible live records than the five you've mentioned.

GYYYO and LYL on the other hand, are FULL of what I love about the Stones. Apart from those two, when I want to get lost in the Rock and Roll with the Stones, boots are the only other option.

Date: March 27, 2007 16:20

Stripped is only decent to you?
My live album ratings (1 to 6 stars):

CDs:
Got Live If You Want It. - **
Get Yer Ya-Ya's Out. - ******
Love You Live - ****
Still Life. - **
Flashpoint. - ***
Stripped. - ******
Rock 'n Roll Circus. - ****1/2
No Security. - ***1/2
Live Licks. - ***1/2

DVDs:
The Stones In The Park. - ****
Gimme Shelter. - ******
Live At The Max. - ***
Voodoo Lounge. - *****1/2
Rock 'n Roll Circus. - ****1/2
Bridges To Babylon. - ****
Four Flicks. - ******

Please post yours.

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: Sole ()
Date: March 27, 2007 16:33

LYL is just pure rock'n'roll. I love every single note on it.

Posted by: Tornandfrayed ()
Date: March 27, 2007 16:38

The ´75 bootlegs wipe the floor with Love You Live.

I have never liked the June´76 Paris shows of which most of the album is taken from. They are very erratic and lackluster performances. In fact, the whole ´76 tour is painful to listen to contrary to the triumphant ´75 US tour. Performance-wise, there are WORLDS between these two tours.

The vocal overdubs (the backing vocals in particular) and the editing are horrible, e.g. they mutilated a PERFECT version of Fingerprint File! The track sequencing as well as the whole concept of the album don´t make any sense at all. Would have been great if they had released a typical ´75 set taken from the LA Forum shows. Those were brilliant performances.

The only reason to bother with LYL is the El Mocambo side. Even that one is overrated. I haven´t listened to the cringeworthy rest of the album for ages.

Date: March 27, 2007 17:00

Okay Kent...

CDs:
Got Live If You Want It. - * (never even replaced my cassette w/ CD)
Get Yer Ya-Ya's Out. - ****1/2 (love it, but 2 Berry covers weigh it down a bit)
Love You Live - disc 1 - *** disc 2 - ***** (perfection)
Still Life. - ** (could have been so much better)
Flashpoint. - **1/2 (new tracks and mix prevent a 3 star rating)
Stripped. - *** (not one song betters any other version here, especially studio)
Rock 'n Roll Circus. - ****
No Security. - **1/2 (doesn't feel natural)
Live Licks. - disc 1 - ** (week inferior performances) disc 2 - **** (awesome)

DVDs:
The Stones In The Park. - *** (out of tune)
Gimme Shelter. - ***** (when I rate 1-5, there is no 6)
Live At The Max. - *** (not bad)
Voodoo Lounge. - *** (not bad)
Rock 'n Roll Circus. - ****1/2 (great show)
Bridges To Babylon. - **** (better than VL)
Four Flicks (by disc) 1 - ***, 2 - ***, 3 - **, 4 - ****

Posted by: rockdoc8885 ()
Date: March 27, 2007 17:05

JaggerFan Wrote:
> > Not counting Still Life, Flashpoint, Stripped,
> No
> > Security and Live Licks?
>
> No. I'm counting those.
>
> To my ears, those range from 'decent' to 'weak'.
> Not great. Many, MANY other artists have many MANY
> more dynamic, interesting, passionate and credible
> live records than the five you've mentioned.
>
> GYYYO and LYL on the other hand, are FULL of what
> I love about the Stones. Apart from those two,
> when I want to get lost in the Rock and Roll with
> the Stones, boots are the only other option.

DVD releases I agree except give more credit to Live at the Max especially seeing it at an IMAX theater and a little less to the Miami Voodoo Lounge show where they podded up the volume on the crowd on the released version as opposed to the original PPV show.

CD ratings: 1-5 with five as a classic

Got Live: 2.5. Unlistenable in some spots because of screams and the AUDIENCE appears to be dubbed in for Fortune Teller. Can't really listen to this record anymore.
Ya Yas: 5 The greatest live album from any artist, period. Could have been better if not for contractual problems with Allen Klein.
LYL: 3.0 Too much overdubbing, yet nice track selection. I initially wanted more of their own stuff and didn't like the El Mocambo four song set, however, that is all I listen to now when putting this disc on which is rare.
Still Life: 3.0 Could have and should have been much better. They were at the pinnacle of their sales with three consecutive number one albums with extended stays at the top spot and put out this weak effort. Although a double album would have been nice for the hardcore fans, truth is they didn't play that many different numbers on this tour to warrant 20-22 songs being released. It would have better to have She's So Cold and All Down the Line, Little T&A, Waiting On A Friend, Beast of Burden (B side only of Going to a Go Go), Miss You. Maybe these tracks were cut for lack of space, but were certainly better than Let Me Go.
Flashpoint: 3.5 Greatest hits live pt.1. Captured the slick production of music of the late 80's, prior to grundge. Only the track selection warrants the high rating.
Stripped: 4.0 Nice new approach, great rework of some nuggets and a wonderful version of LARS, too bad they overplayed that song on subsequent tours.
NS: 3.5 More rare treats, although not a club environment and only one "theater" selection, Gimme Shelter. I think this is better than people give it credit. They might have been expecting more and unfortunately it is a return to the stadium rock sound, but Out of Control is a classic here and because of this cut, Gimme Shelter, and the sing along to Saint of Me it more than makes up for the hatchet job by Dave Matthews on Memory Motel.
LL: 4.0 for song selection and performance; 1.0 for editing: Disc one is very good despite shortened edited versions that were unnecessary. Talk about unnecessary and downright awful edits, Rocks Off is absolutely unlistenable. It's only saving grace is Monkey Man, a good recording is right before it followed by an admirable stab at Can't You Hear Me Knocking.

Well, there you have my opinion, anyway.

Date: March 27, 2007 18:21

> DVD releases I agree except give more credit to
> Live at the Max especially seeing it at an IMAX
> theater

Oh, I agree. I saw the premiere in Toronto. They had the blow-up girls there. Pretty neat.

and a little less to the Miami Voodoo
> Lounge show where they podded up the volume on the
> crowd on the released version as opposed to the
> original PPV show.

Something out the VL tour - Jaggers refusal to smile or vocally let loose - it felt pretty stiff. None of the videos or boots do much for me of this tour. Weak vocals aplenty - Shattered, Rocks Off, Sparks. The BAND was on fire - but Jagger was passionless. He made up for it the next tour - when the guitars played hide and seek!

> the AUDIENCE appears to be dubbed
> in for Fortune Teller.

It IS overdubbed. As is "I've been Loving You Too Long". Pathetic. What a joke.

>Ya Yas: 5 The greatest live album from any artist, period.
For me that honor goes to "At Filmore East" by the Allman Brothers. But I understand how unfair of a comparison that is, and not a nice thing to do on a Stones board. winking smiley

> LYL: 3.0 Too much overdubbing.
Ya-Ya's equals LYL in the overdubbing dept.

> Still Life: 3.0 Could have and should have been
> much better.

yup.

> Flashpoint: 3.5 Greatest hits live pt.1.
> Captured the slick production of music of the late
> 80's, prior to grundge. Only the track selection
> warrants the high rating.

Inclusion of 3 SW tracks was totally arbitrary.

> Stripped: 4.0 Nice new approach, great rework of
> some nuggets

I found the arrangement bland, predictable and far weaker than any studio version in question. The beginning of Keiths four-note fiddling and Jaggers clothespeg-on-nose voice which sounds lame. Their version of Little Baby would not make it on any release by any other artists due to it's lack of strength or relevance.

> than makes up for the hatchet job by Dave Matthews
> on Memory Motel.

The second worst decision commited to album by the band.

> LL: 4.0 for song selection and performance

Disc One provides argument for the bands retirement. Never mind the edits. I've not heard such passionless dull versions of Brown Sugar, IORR, Angie, Gimme, SMU and Satisfaction in my life. Sheryl Crow on Honky Tonk - THE worst decision the band has ever commited to an ablum. Ronnies childish solo on Happy is Sad.

Disc Two is a completely different band which I'd pay good money to see and love every minute of it, screw the cynics, these guys are the BEST! So many highlights on Disc Two. In fact I think that Disc 2 of LL is their 3rd best live effrot next to Ya-Yas and LYL.

Posted by: roby ()
Date: March 27, 2007 18:29

CDs:
Got Live If You Want It. - **
Get Yer Ya-Ya's Out. - ******
Love You Live - ***
Still Life. - **
Flashpoint. - ***
Stripped. - ****
Rock 'n Roll Circus. - *****
No Security. - ***
Live Licks. - **

DVDs:
The Stones In The Park. - *****
Gimme Shelter. - ******
Live At The Max. - ***
Voodoo Lounge. - ***
Rock 'n Roll Circus. - *****
Bridges To Babylon. - **
Four Flicks. - *****

Date: March 27, 2007 20:10

Wanna expand a little, roby?

Posted by: farawayeyes2 ()
Date: March 27, 2007 21:12

>
>
> As a musician who recognizes great playing and
> innovative styles - of which there is PLENTY out
> there, there is no "even if he did steal" for me.
> Keith has built a career on someone else.
>

So every sigle rock guitarist work after keith is totally worthless. Because no one has not be influenced by keith style and playing. Music, and art in general, can't be not influenced by anything. Even Leonardo Da Vinci or Beethoven have been influenced by someone else's art.

Posted by: keef_nerd ()
Date: March 27, 2007 21:19

My only beef with the album other than the horrible overdubbing is the bad choice of songs,i loved the album until i started finding 75/76 boots and i was blown away by them and realized lyl sucks in comparison.

Date: March 27, 2007 21:22

As I've said, I've been playing guitar myself more mucho anos, so I do know what I'm talking about. Of course people are influenced by what they hear. Everyone knows this.

There's not a rock guitarist who hasn't been influenced by Chck Berry's guitar playing, is what I think you mean. Including Keith - big time.

And while Keith does have his own style (I'll give him his open-G hammering) I still don't know why people go apesh*t over his Chuck Berry style when there's - Chuck Berry doing Chuck Berry.

Am I alone here?

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: March 27, 2007 21:34

JaggerFan Wrote:
> I still don't know why
> people go apesh*t over his Chuck Berry style when
> there's - Chuck Berry doing Chuck Berry.

Eh, when RS do Around And Around; the whole El Mocambo is rocking crazy and the listener too,
why do you presume we sit there going apeshit over "Keith doing Berry"?
The "Berry licks" is just an ingredient.
If Keith does those licks for other kinds of songs...they can seem misplaced, but they make plenty of sense in Around And Around.
Mick is imitating the old blues-men when he does the harmonica in Little Red Rooster, it doesn't bother me.

Date: March 27, 2007 21:36

I agree to a lot of the comments at this thread; I loved Love You Live, as it was one of the first RS albums I got, but it suddenly turned pale when listening to other Stones boots from the mid 70s.

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: March 27, 2007 21:48

JaggerFan Wrote:
I still don't know why
> people go apesh*t over his Chuck Berry style when
> there's - Chuck Berry doing Chuck Berry.
>

All I can say is that when Keith does the Berry thing, he still sounds 100% Keith and there is no chance he can be confused with Chuck. The timing, the feel, the tone, everything is pure Keith at his best. Chuck's double stops are only the language.

C

Posted by: yeager ()
Date: March 27, 2007 23:02

Sohoe Wrote:
> yeager Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > The album is dedicated to someone called keith
> > harwood.
> > does somebody know who that is / was ?
> >
> > ah, I see, the recording engineer. But why is
> it
> > dedicated to him?
> >
> > any information ?
>
> As I recall he was killed in a car accident while
> they were finishing LYL. Hence they dedicated the
> album to him

thanks a lot.
that is a good reason, too.

"when I travel coast to coast
you' re the hook I miss the most
feel on, baby"

Posted by: yeager ()
Date: March 27, 2007 23:15

Glam Descendant Wrote:
> "After we left the Carlyle I told Jerry I thought
> Mick had ruined the LOVE YOU LIVE cover I did for
> them by writing all over it--it's his handwriting,
> and he wrote so big. The kids who buy the album
> would have a good piece of art if he hadn't
> spoiled it." - THE ANDY WARHOL DIARIES, June 5,
> 1978

glam, thank you for this background info.
concerning the "writing on the cover: maybe MJ wants to add some graffitty stuff and looks to the cover,which came out at forst these lost days ago; and its a gesture:
"I sign it with my hands ... the writing on the wall..." somehow a mythic gesture.

"when I travel coast to coast
you' re the hook I miss the most
feel on, baby"

Posted by: pmk251 ()
Date: March 27, 2007 23:16

People like to slag Taylor for "over the top" playing, but nothing he ever played on stage with the Stones comes close to the excess of Ronnie's solo on YCAGWYW. It is another low point for the band. That solo is one long non sequitar. It sounds like someone in his garage showing his mom every phrase he's learned how to play. It's that unmusical. "I can play this, then I can play that." When that thing is over I think WTF was that?

When I first heard that solo I'd never heard a recording of Taylor playing that song. It was 20 years later that I got into boots and was blown away by Brussels. But even without that frame of reference I knew that solo is a stinker.

Date: March 27, 2007 23:22

pmk251 Wrote:
------------------------------------------------------
> When I first heard that solo I'd never heard a
> recording of Taylor playing that song. It was 20
> years later that I got into boots and was blown
> away by Brussels. But even without that frame of
> reference I knew that solo is a stinker.

There are boots from 75 where Ronnie blow the listener away...

Posted by: LA FORUM ()
Date: March 27, 2007 23:26

pmk251 Wrote:
> People like to slag Taylor for "over the top"
> playing, but nothing he ever played on stage with
> the Stones comes close to the excess of Ronnie's
> solo on YCAGWYW. It is another low point for the
> band. That solo is one long non sequitar. It
> sounds like someone in his garage showing his mom
> every phrase he's learned how to play. It's that
> unmusical. "I can play this, then I can play
> that." When that thing is over I think WTF was
> that?
>

LOL! Yeah sums it up pretty good. I love the album but not that solo.

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: March 27, 2007 23:48

I bought a couple of copies of LYL on CD over the years because I either lost it or it got scratched up. The discs are different from other CDs of their albums because theyre yellow, and CDs themselves have this very distinct "plastickey" smell. Ive never noticed that on any other CD. Does anyone else konw what Im talking about?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-03-27 23:49 by ryanpow.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1705
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home