Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: No hope for new Stones album
Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: March 21, 2007 22:38

cali stones fan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Gazza, I thought I heard that all the ABB material
> was new for the album? LIND, SOL and Biggest
> Mistake do sound like they could be from Alfie
> though, but I thought I'd heard otherwise. Are
> you just speculating or did you hear this
> somewhere? You are usually right, so I probably
> just heard wrong.

Mick was talking about the album on a radio interview in the UK the day before the Twickenham show and specifically mentioned that LIND was written for 'Alfie' but wasnt finished. So THAT one I'm sure of. I was quite surprised by that one, personally.

As for the other two, I'm assuming SOL is a leftover from a solo project due to Matt Clifford's major involvement in it. Re: 'Biggest Mistake' - speculation on my part. The lyrical content of the song is just ideally suited to the story of the film. It strikes me as a 'made to order' song composed for the movie's central character, especially as his life unwrangles and he becomes more self-reflective in the latter part of the story.

The obvious analysis of Biggest Mistake would be to interpret it as a song about the breakdown of Mick's own marriage, but it would be a bit uncharacteristic of him to be so openly and literally self-critical as that IMO. He tends to be a bit self conscious about his lyrics being taken as literally autobiographical.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-03-21 22:42 by Gazza.

Posted by: cali stones fan ()
Date: March 21, 2007 22:40

Ok, sounds logical. I guess I was missinformed, at least about LIND but probably the others too.

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: March 21, 2007 22:55

livewithme Wrote:
> I don't track sales but I would assume 50% of the
> proceeds from a RS album is a lot more than 100%
> of a MJ solo album

Well, Mick has enough money, so I don't think he really cares, but if it's not the money, it's the principle: Why give someone a 50% songwriting credit when you actually write 90% of the songs? A partnership can only work as long as you give something and get something back in return. But once you give something (=your songs) and notice you get increasingly less (=songs from your partner) in return, things could become really difficult...it may be a matter of pride...and all of a sudden you notice that a credit like "written by Mick Jagger" looks much better than "written by Jagger/Richards" - even if the Jagger/Richards credit will earn you more money...

Posted by: JaggerFan ()
Date: March 21, 2007 22:56

Biggest Mistake - a little late if it's about Jerry, like 7 years or so? Either way, it kind of sucks.

"I'm becoming a grouch drinking on the couch"? LOL!

Posted by: KSIE ()
Date: March 21, 2007 23:05

Is it possible this whole solo album is about money, that is, a new record deal? Gotta think the Stones are in their worst bargaining position ever right now. So maybe they're saying "We've got a Mick solo in the can, a live album ready to go, or perhaps a Scorcese-project soundtrack"?

Would Mick record a solo album to make a record deal more do-able?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-03-21 23:08 by KSIE.

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: March 21, 2007 23:11

>> Mick was talking about the album on a radio interview in the UK the day before
the Twickenham show and specifically mentioned that LIND was written for 'Alfie'<<

hm. well, maybe - on the other hand, this is the same cat who says (for example)
Before They Make Me Run when he means Beast of Burden.
maybe he meant Let Me Down Slow.

Date: March 21, 2007 23:13

Doubt even Mick would be that forgetful about a song he'd just recorded about 18 months earlier, especially when the conversation discussed the song at some length

Date: March 21, 2007 23:15

JaggerFan Wrote:
> Biggest Mistake - a little late if it's about
> Jerry, like 7 years or so? Either way, it kind of
> sucks.

They arent divorced that long, though and Mick was still living at the family home officially as late as 2003 (and still does from time to time according to locals). They still have a good relationship. Anyway, a lot has happened in the 8 years since the Stones had last recorded an album.

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: March 21, 2007 23:25

>> Doubt even Mick would be that forgetful about a song he'd just recorded
about 18 months earlier, especially when the conversation discussed the song at some length <<

okay - if you say so! it is indeed surprising.
(it was in 78 that he mixed up BTMMR and BoB, but there were no doubt extenuating circumstances
such as being coked to the gills or something of that ilk.)

Date: March 21, 2007 23:27

thats mah boy!

Posted by: cc ()
Date: March 22, 2007 03:39

Why is it surprising that "LIND" came from the Alfie thing? I don't contest being surprised, I just don't see why it would be surprising. Is it because it has a more, er, interesting sound than that other stuff? The Alfie songs have a very retro, bland pop sound to them. Like Sheryl Crow or something. Even "SOL" has a bit more of a concept behind it, even if that concept is appalling.

Posted by: cali stones fan ()
Date: March 22, 2007 03:51

I was just questioning it because I had heard that none of the songs on ABB were writen specifically for the album, so no leftovers from other albums. Apparently I had heard wrong. It does sound very much like it came from Alfie

Posted by: Sam Spade ()
Date: March 22, 2007 04:01

Does this mean Mick plans on taking his new solo material on the road once the Stones complete the Summer '07 leg of ABB?

Could he be planning on taking it to Japan and Australia and perhaps some limited engagement dates in the USA?

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1677
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home